Shoujo - Orange by TAKANO Ichigo | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear

Orange
Author: Takano Ichigo
Serialization: Betsuma, Monthly Action
Publisher: Shueisha, Futabasha
Genre: Drama, School Life, Romance, Tragedy
Mangaupdates

In the Spring she was 16, Takamiya Naho receives a strange, but detailed letter from herself, ten years in the future. At first she thinks the letter is a prank, but then the things written in the letter actually happen, including the new transfer student that sits next to her in class, Naruse Kakeru.
The letter reads just like her diary entries, down to the same characters. It is not till two weeks later, when Kakeru shows back up at school, that Naho finishes the letter.

In the letter, her 27-year-old self tells her 16-year-old self that her biggest regret is that Kakeru is no longer with them in the future, and asks her to watch him closely.

Last edited by a moderator:

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: [Shoujo] Orange by TAKANO Ichigo

Very interesting, thanks for sharing! I want to check it out right now but my internet is acting up; I'll get to it as soon as I can. It's still fresh and new so it won't be hard to catch up with it. XD

HatsumiShinogu

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I'm interested in this series as well. Would love to check it out.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

The art reminds me of Namida Usagi very much, though it is still different. The characters are lovely, even Kakeru. At the beginning I thought he was going to be the silent one, expressionless, and gloomy. Yet he smiled, laughed, and kind towards Naho. From the two first chapters, I really like it. The way the plot is presented, although fantasy because it has strange time travel, I really like it. I can't wait to see how it goes from now. <3

Last edited by a moderator:

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

I don't know why, I feel this story is so sad... Maybe because we are constantly reminded of what happened in the future, and that failure to meet what the letter said might not change anything... Still, I think this story is pretty. It tells you that you have the ability to change something if you don't want to regret it. We may think it's easy for the past Naho since she has letter from her future self who knows everything, every single regret she would feel... But for us readers, it encourages us to believe in ourselves more so we will not regret too much things in the future.

I believe Kakeru is actually interested in Naho as well, that's what he meant by "noticed". I can't wait to see how this will turned out. I'm just curious as to why the letter can still be there, with nothing changed, even though Naho had made those changes in the past. Is it really like what she said, that all the changes she had done this far still didn't manage to keep Kakeru from dying?

TXC

Reaction score
Country
Portugal

Probably the best new shoujo I've read in 2/3 years time. Still to soon to judge but I will be looking forward to the next chapters.

Since I've read Cat street I didn't like a series this much(shoujo).

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

I think shoujo doesn't pick a merge of fantasy and real life story style like Orange did with its plot, so that's why it is kind of inviting. Even from when I first read the summary, I was already interested. The artwork is nice too, maybe not a masterpiece but exactly what the plot needs. But what I like from all is the way the story is told.

If only new chapters can be out faster. :p

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

I really like this manga. I started reading it randomly when only a chapter was out and the more I read it, the more I like it! It's nice and refreshing, still distinctly shoujo and yet a breath of fresh air in the genre. The artwork is not fantastic, but it's simple, and suits the mood of the story really well IMO.

I really liked when Kakeru asked Naho if she would rather go to the past or the future. They had different answers, and while Naho answered that she would rather go to the future, she ultimately sort of "went back" to the past to try and change the course of events. This also contrasts slightly with Kakeru's answer, because he felt that though he couldn't change the past, at least he could erase his regrets. Though I'm a little confused by this answer of his, because how can you erase your regrets without changing anything? ._.

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop. Slowly, slowly, more and more events are not quite unfolding as the letters say they will, simply because Naho's actions have effected change. Soon, Naho will be left without a "guide" to tell her what to do. I'm looking forward to seeing how she reacts to those situations and how the relationship between Naho and Kakeru develop from here on out, and of course, eventually, whether she can fulfill her goal of preventing Kakeru from dying.

It's also interesting for me because I can sort of see my group of friends in the central group of 6 in Orange. Not to mention that there're also 3 guys and 3 girls in my group xD All the more it makes me want to cherish my time with these 5 other friends, because as this manga suggests, life is fragile and you never know when one might be there one second and gone the next. How much of the past can you change? Would going back to the past really help anything? Why not live life to the fullest and without regrets now, rather than think back on the past and wonder how things would be different if you'd done this or that? I think these are questions that this manga very poignantly poses to every reader, and are certainly questions to ponder on.

raDar

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear

Me likes chapter 5 a lot~:teehee

Nice to see some insight about the time travel stuff. So Naho did create another parallel world, right? Since the future one still continues to write letters of regrets and stuff. I might have just forgotten but did the future Naho already told the current Naho that she actually married the other guy? I do think this might come out of the story eventually.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

God, I'm loving this series. :crying

I really liked when Kakeru asked Naho if she would rather go to the past or the future. They had different answers, and while Naho answered that she would rather go to the future, she ultimately sort of "went back" to the past to try and change the course of events. This also contrasts slightly with Kakeru's answer, because he felt that though he couldn't change the past, at least he could erase his regrets. Though I'm a little confused by this answer of his, because how can you erase your regrets without changing anything? ._.
My guess would be that he was quite in favor of the parallel world theory, so probably he thought if he could prevent Kakeru v2 not to feel the same regrets he had he would be happy. XD And yes, it was ironic to hear what Naho said but it was interesting to see how they differed there. I think by reading the letter from her future self Naho felt a bit more optimistic. I just had the feeling that Kakeru is still burdened by something from his past, especially related to his family. Look at that gloomy face. Something he can't let go yet, something he regrets very deeply.

It's also interesting for me because I can sort of see my group of friends in the central group of 6 in Orange. Not to mention that there're also 3 guys and 3 girls in my group xD All the more it makes me want to cherish my time with these 5 other friends, because as this manga suggests, life is fragile and you never know when one might be there one second and gone the next. How much of the past can you change? Would going back to the past really help anything? Why not live life to the fullest and without regrets now, rather than think back on the past and wonder how things would be different if you'd done this or that? I think these are questions that this manga very poignantly poses to every reader, and are certainly questions to ponder on.
This manga kind of slaps readers in the face. There is no such thing as time travel here, and reading this makes you feel kind of jealous with Naho. And that in turns pushes us to think of our own life, wondering if we have really lived this life to its best since we can't change the past like this manga can. XD

Nice to see some insight about the time travel stuff. So Naho did create another parallel world, right? Since the future one still continues to write letters of regrets and stuff. I might have just forgotten but did the future Naho already told the current Naho that she actually married the other guy? I do think this might come out of the story eventually.
Yes, I also agree this is a parallel world. The only question left will be how exactly the letter is sent to the current-younger Naho. That means the other-future Naho has access to some kind of time machine?

And no, I don't think there is something in the letter about marriage. She only mentioned about how she regretted Kakeru's death and wanted her younger self to prevent it no matter what.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I wonder if Naho can ever prevent Kakeru's death. Maybe all the letter can do is rid Naho of the regret that she did not make the most of the time she had with Kakeru, not prevent his death.

I also think the future Naho is from a parallel universe.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

Usually something that is meant to die must die wherever, whenever, whatever the method is... Nothing escapes death. So probably what Naho actually wanted was simply to give Kakeru chances to cure his regrets, thus living a happier life.

How beautiful it would be if Kakeru can really be saved. Poor that boy who likes Naho, though, since he wouldn't get married to Naho if that happened. ^^;

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France

Poor Suwa, he is a bit masochistic... I kinda like their future couple so I would like to cheer for him a bit too. It seems that the parallel universes could allow both couples to exist in different futures. I'm not sure how the serie could manage these different future when they exist, it is a bit too early and we don't know where the letters comes from. Still it is a very likeable read so far, I think its fandom starts to rise.

raDar

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear

I just read chapter 6, and yeah, I feel bad for Suwa. He's just so selfless for his friends. And about what I asked before, based on the last page of the chapter, Naho already got the idea that the future her married Suwa, right? And instead of being conflicted to her feelings now (I thought she would be), she got happy that the future her still experienced happiness with just Suwa.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

That's also how I think she felt. She came to realize how much Suwa cares for her, and realized that while she may not be able to relieve the regrets of her future self, he would always be there for her. Really a very sweet chapter. When he came to her rescue I was genuinely relieved. I feel for him, he is just as deserving a suitor as Kakeru.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

Amazing. I smiled at the end of the chapter, even though I probably should be sad. I like how Suwa tried to be as accepting as he can although it is painful as well. When he was told that he was a fool, he seemed to understand it, but since all he wished for is for Naho's happiness he decided to play along with it. From the letter the young Naho seemed to catch the message of how much the future Naho took Suwa for granted and regretted that part, so she eventually thanked him. I was moved when Suwa cried. He lost something so big, yet he faced it happily.

Awesome series is awesome. :luv

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

this whole sci-fi feel to it is sort of jarring sometimes.

But I like the series.

What do you think will be the repercussions that she failed to follow the letters twice?

And I have a theory that Suwa also has a letter from the future...

Dansan1

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I am really loving this series.

I have an ending prediction.

It seems to be apparent at this point that Kakeru committed suicide.

I think that ultimately he will still die at the same time. I think Naho will probably feel that she failed, and live with many regrets and doubts about how she could have done better, given him more happiness, etc, but when the future moment comes when they dig up the time capsule, this time Kakeru's letter will indicate his hopes, dreams, happiness with his friendships, etc. So in the end she will know that she "saved" him and have no regrets.

So in other words in this new parallel world, his death really will be an accident.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

this whole sci-fi feel to it is sort of jarring sometimes.

But I like the series.

What do you think will be the repercussions that she failed to follow the letters twice?

And I have a theory that Suwa also has a letter from the future...
I understand that kind of feeling. I had it when I was following La Corda D'Oro; I seriously thought the part with magic was like a different universe with the part without it. Much better too without the magic, IMO.

She failed the letter twice, eh...

I think that ultimately he will still die at the same time. I think Naho will probably feel that she failed, and live with many regrets and doubts about how she could have done better, given him more happiness, etc, but when the future moment comes when they dig up the time capsule, this time Kakeru's letter will indicate his hopes, dreams, happiness with his friendships, etc. So in the end she will know that she "saved" him and have no regrets.

So in other words in this new parallel world, his death really will be an accident.
This is seriously awesome thinking. It makes sense quite much at the time being. So far Kakeru seems to have regrets on the way he lives, that he has a lot of bad memories from choices he made before. This theory also goes well with my idea that death usually isn't something avoidable. And that seems to be the happiest ending I can expect for now, haha~

What makes me wonder is how the word "save" is mentioned. As if it is not the usual "save" from death, but from something else.

Best answer for your question, baboysai-chan. :p

Limit

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I'm not going to lie, one of the only reasons I started this manga is because I accidentally clicked on Kaiten's sig. My god, I'm so happy I did.

I'm not really into shoujo but who can't like this tear-jerking story? It's so sad it just wraps in all your emotions so much you can't get out. The synopsis didn't sound really interesting but it really is. Naho trying to correct her past mistakes and make things right is pretty sweet, and all I can do is root for her. D;

Btw, new chapter is out.
So, Kakeru's mom commited suicide too? So sad that both mother and son had to go out like that. It seems like Kakeru's regrets and sadness is deeper than I thought. It's going to take a lot of work from Naho, and now Suwa :o, to help him out.

Speaking about Suwa, he got a letter too? I thought that Suwa was just too nice of a guy to go for Naho and ruin things with Kakeru but it seems like he's just trying to do all he can to help him out. Even if he's doing that, I just can't get the idea out of my head that they'll get really close because they have something to talk about alone. You know, more bonding time.

I'm not going to lie, that seems really possible seeing how sad this is, but I wouldn't be disappointed. I'd rather have him live but I can live with it if he doesn't. ;_;