Shounen - Orient by Shinobu Ohtaka | Page 11 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Orient by Shinobu Ohtaka

Ice

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
North Pole
I hope the sales pick up....This is one of the few new mangas that interest me. and It def has the otential to be as great as magi.
I really need to start Sumomo at some point.

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Who knows? Maybe this will give Ohtaka the chance to learn more this early on about what her fans enjoy about her mangas and all the issues they have. Maybe she’ll revise the darfts for the future arcs and as a result, we’ll have a more enjoyable manga.

I hope we get another girl or an older person in the group. Musashi is reckless and immature and needs someone who can keep him in line. I find Tsugumi too cute for that role. As for Kojirou, I expect he will either remain the supporting friend or he parts ways with him at some point and becomes his rival.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Volume 1 back cover:

There was no omake in the volume. Also, no inside cover art. They only colored the last page of ch 7 and used it in the preview for the next volume and announced volume 2 will be out in October.

About the back cover, at first, I thought the girl and boy with glasses could be siblings, but I didn’t expect the boy to have red hair that will make him stand out in the group. In Magi, the Kou Empire had families that were named after colors, and it seems Ohtaka is using a similar pattern with the bushidans. Takeda doesn’t mean blue, but a lot of the bushis in the clan have blue hair and their crest is blue.

Starting a new manga with a large scale battle and little character introduction might not have been a good move from Ohtaka. Maybe after a year or two when we know more about these characters, these chapters won’t be so bad when we reread them.

Last edited:

Eastgrove

Reaction score
Country
United States
At this point in my life, battles rank pretty low in terms of spectacle. I'm more interested in stakes and being invested in the characters taking part. I know for a fact young boys feel differently as I used to be one. To learn to care for and understand a character is a long process. But I think Ohtaka may have underestimated her audience.

Anti christ

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The orange haired kid looks like a fusion of Tess and Setta

Samurai Rider

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
England
Chapter 8

Ohtaka doesn't really seem to be taking advantage of the colour pages, the last colour page was just a basic full body shot of the two mains and this is mostly one colour (I wonder if it's supposed to be a reference to a Hitodama or something) which is a shame since her colouring is amazing.

Love the moment where Musashi shows gratitude for inheriting the way of the sword from Kojiro and his father thus giving him purpose, a goal to strive for, great character moment. Ohtaka has done a great job establishing the friendship between these two.

I was hoping it would just be the two of them for a while, but with the talk of finding comrades and that girl appeared at the end it seems there might be a new main character soon. I wonder how many party members they will end up with, Takeda made a big deal about how multiple Bushi are needed to take down a Kishin, but I don’t think that Musashi and Kojiro are going to get an entire army of them. I thinking around seven Bushi would be a nice number.

More insight into these two characters while Musashi is more book smart, seems that his time at the miner academy left him overly reliant on other people, whereas Kojiro has more life experience and is self sufficient after living on his own after his father died. Musashi is pretty mature compared to other Shounen main characters, he realised how trivial their fight was and was willing to make amends after some reflection. Even when he was butthurt over the Takeda stealing his kill, part of him knew he was being petty. Seems the inferiority complex that was growing in Kojiro in chapter 3, has made him quite competitive with Musashi. Considering their real life counterparts, this was a foregone conclusion, interested to see how Ohtaka tackles a classic Shounen rivalry. Magi didn’t really have any rivalries other than Sinbad and Kouken I guess, but that never really came to a head.

Chapter 9

Wasn't expecting to see hand to hand combat from Musashi, a pleasant surprise. Good fight choreography. I even recognised some techniques like Morote Seoinage, Outside Block, Triangle Choke and of course the Tomoe Nage. Tsugumi was pretty cool too, recovering in mid air, sticking a landing and immediately going for a counter attack. Judging by her family name and the fact she had a kunai she's probably a Ninja too, didn't think we'd see one this early. I heard that female ninjas or kunoichis often dressed in revealing outfits to distract their enemies, not sure how accurate that is though.

Glad that there is some weapon variety, I wasn’t kind of worried most of those special weapons that the Bushi have would mostly be Katanas, but we’re already seeing some different types of weapons like Tsugumi arm blade thing and the Kosameda leaders bow and arrow. Musashi looks down on females as combatants, make sense considering the era this takes place in. Though, I still gotta respect Ohtaka giving her MC a flaw that will most certainly make him despicable to some people. I’m interested to see how that character arc unfolds.

The name Kosameda doesn't seem familiar, looks like it might be an original clan. The leader seems kind of unsettling, characters with their eyes always shut almost always are shady as hell. Hattori Tsugumi? So she is related to Hattori Hanzo. When the first chapter of this series stated that all the famous Sengoku Period warlords were killed by the Kishin, I wondered why? Isn't half the fun of setting the story in that era portraying all those legendary people? But it seems the reason for this is because of one of the themes of the manga, legacy. Instead of Takeda Shingen, we have Takeda Naotora with his group using Hekiten Kakuyoku which seems to be an advanced version of Kakuyoku a battle formation used by Takeda Shingen at the 4th Battle of Kawanakajima in 1561 against Uesegi army. In this chapter we have Hattori Tsugumi instead of Hattori Hanzo. Instead of showcasing the key players from the Sengoku Period this series will probably be more focused on those who descended from them/carried on their will.

Chapter 10

Despite Musashi and Kojiro idealising Bushi, they don’t seem to have much problem with the idea of fighting them as enemies. Already putting Bushi in an antagonistic role, I wonder how long it will take to encounter a good natured Oni. Going off Magi, Ohtaka tends to stray away from black and white morality ironically enough considering the two types of Rukh.

Some nice world building this chapter, these travelling bases with whole civilization living inside them kind of reminds me of Alrest from Xenoblade 2, where the world is covered by a sea of clouds with Titans along its surface. Each Titan hosts its own distinct civilizations, cultures, wildlife, and environments. I guess it explains how Samurai are able to survive long distances outside of the towns given how barren and far apart cities seem to be, Musashi and Kojiro have been on the move for a week yet weren’t able to find a town. I wonder if most of the population in this series lives this way and Tatsuyama was just a rare exception. Can’t wait to see how these travelling fortresses are utilised, they seem to have lots of advantages, like in warfare, being able to move your base to a more strategically advantageous position, not having to wait for resources to make it back from home all the way to your encampment. Also in terms of narrative, the characters can interact with a new area and cast will also simultaneously travelling to another new setting as well.

Between the Kaleidoscope and the travelling base, it makes sense how that huge army of Takeda happened upon Engoku Tengu in that remote town. Still eagerly waiting for the manga to explain the weapons the Bushi use, I figured they were made using the ore that the Kishin/Oni eat given how Engoku Tengu also wanted to eat Kojiro’s sword. The same seems to be true for the motorcycles given the crystal like protrusion that come out from them. Since the series already places emphasis on techniques, are the weapons solely used to enhance those abilities or do they have powers of their own? I was really fond of the battle system in Magi, though it wasn’t really a battle heavy series compared to other Shounen, Orient seems to be more battle focused so I look forward to see how the battle system of this series works.

It was cool to see another aspect of Bushi, with the Takeda they were portrayed as heroes or freedom fighters. Here they’re portrayed as a family, pretty heartwarming almost made me forget how Tsugumi attacked Musashi and Kojiro and seemingly tried to kill them, almost. Family might be another theme of this series, makes sense since legacy and family have a strong correlation. Musashi doesn’t seem all that broken up when implying all his family are dead, the real life Musashi apparently had a troubled relationship with his father Shinmen Munisai, so I wonder if that’s the case here. Though the fact that Musashi doesn’t even have a family name implies he might be a low born in this version.

Chapter 11

Musashi clearly likes having his ego stroked, this character trait shown in the first chapter allowed him to be completely played by Hideo, in what was clearly a shady situation.

Seems the Takada wasn’t the standard for Bushi, but rather the higher echelons of Bushi, their amour did look a bit more modern like something out of Kamen Rider or Super Sentai. Where as these Bushi have normal looking Japanese armour, not to mention the Takada had a bunch of motorcycles and whereas these only have a few horses.

Tsugumi used the same ability that female Takeda Bushi used, where as before Musashi was able to break out, he couldn’t do so here, is it because Tsugumi stronger or was that other girl holding back. I hope there’s more variety in the abilities of these iron Oni blades it would be kind of meh if they all were the same.

Hideo seems like he’s going to be an interesting antagonist, I like how he isn’t outright malicious like Jamil. He was even willing to work with Musashi and Kojiro until he found out they were novices. His motivation to the defeat the Oni and defend the land given to them by their lord, are noble aspirations, the problems is that he’s so focused on that goal to the detriment of the people around him.

This harkens back to that one Oni follower that argued with Takeda in chapter 5 saying that because of Bushi trying to achieve the impossible, they end up leading countless people to their deaths. These two antagonists are complete opposites where as the Oni follower conforms to the Oni rule for the sake of preservation, thinking the defeating them is impossible and turns against his own kind. Hideo opposes the Oni so strongly that he’s willing to face them despite his lack of resources and the overwhelming odds basically sending his people to an early grave. So the ideal place is somewhere in middle of these extremes, not completely conforming to the Oni rule but also not rebelling recklessly.

Chapter 12

Another colour page, must be doing pretty well to keep getting these, not the colour scheme I expected for Tsugumi to have, the huge amounts of turquoise make her look like a Yuki Onna. The Volume 1 cover looks good, but I wish Ohtaka went the route of the Sinbad no broken covers which were ether visual summaries of the arc or a screenshot of a key moment in the arc.

So Kitestu are made from the fragments of Oni, I thought they were turned into energy or something when they were getting absorbed in the swords. So rather than absorbing the Kishin powers it was more like storing its remains for later use, but she did say that Kitestu has mysterious powers so maybe it has more than one use.

Tsugumi appears to have dependent personality disorder, and Hideo seems rather good at exploiting this to control her. Some of the symptoms of include; having difficulty making every days decisions without an excessive amount of advice and reassurance from others, this chapter where she needed Musashi to urge her to challenge Hideo and even then she needed to flashback to that very same event that happened not too long ago, along with another one of her sister encouraging her in order to finally do it.

Has difficulty expressing disagreement with others, in chapter 11 when she couldn’t muster the courage to tell Hideo she didn’t agree with his plan to rally the town, she even states in this chapter the best course of action is to hide away and letting them pass by.

Feels uncomfortable or helpless when alone/helplessness when a relationship ends, this chapter Hideo used her fears of solitude to crush her resolve.

Needs others to assume responsibility for most major areas of her life, in chapter 9 and 11 where she constantly asks Hideo to give instructions what to do, like she can’t act without his word, hell even her meeting with Musashi and Kojiro chapter was because he asked her to.

Frequently refer to herself as stupid or belittle herself, does quite a bit in chapter 11 and this chapter.

It was a nice touch having Musashi to urge her to speak her mind to Hideo since he went through a similar situation in chapter 1 where he felt pressured by his peer to conform to their hatred of Bushi and dreams of becoming miners.

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Ch 13

Summary:

-Kojirou uses the fishing hook to get them out of the prison. Musashi is impressed and calls him a fisher samurai, but his compliment only manages to depress Kojirou, since it seems survival skills are the only thing that he’s good at. They begin to search for their weapons and bike and survey the village from the roof, and in the distance, they spot what looks like a tsunami heading toward them. The tsunami turns out to be clusters of the kodama demons. They are weak on their own, but when they gather, they destroy everything in their way.

-the scene shifts to Tsugumi in her room. She’s looking at a portrai of her, her sister, Tsubame, and Hideo, all of them smiling. We get a flashback from eight years ago of her sister slaying a kishin with everyone praising her and her unmatched skill. Little Tsugumi asks her sister and her companions why they fight, and they tell her it’s their dream as ninjas to serve the most powerful samurai and unite Japan along with them. Later, Tsubame tells Tsugumi that she wants to be more of an ideal warrior. Not just someone who only protects the territory and its inhabitatnts, this is what samurais have been doing before and after 150 years ago. She wants to be someone who also protects the weak, whoever they are.

-Tsugumi thinks her sister is pretty cool and aspires to be like her. But even though her sister was pretty awesome, she remembers how she was always bowing and apologizing profusely in front of an angry Hideo, who took them in and assumed the role of a parent. Later, she and all the other ninjas die, and Hideo begins to take out his anger on Tsugumi. Tsugumi then realizes that her sister had been protecting her from Hideo’s anger

-after the short flashback ends, Tsugumi attempts to free herself from her master and raises the kunai to destroy the portrait. But she becomes haunted by Hideo’s words that she will be alone and she can’t do anything by herself. When she begins to lose strength, Musashi and Kojirou ride the bike through the wall in front of her, destroying the portrait in the process. She becomes self-conscious as they start searching for their weapons and scolds them for escaping. Musashi tells her to forget Hideo’s orders for once and invites her to come with them. Tsugumi starts to have doubts and wonders what a useless girl, who can’t do anything without her master, do for them, and Musashi reassures her that she’s strong. She was able to defeat Kojirou the other day, knows more about demon slaying then them and she fights well with her weapon. In the end, she gives in and goes to fight the demons with them.

Last edited:

Eastgrove

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting. I think I'll get caught up when the current arc is finished, but I'm interested.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Read chapter 11. Really liking this arc so far. I too think that Musashi and Kojiro will stay there. A team that is losing and in dire needs of reinforcements, it's the perfect place for them IMO. Hideo can become a better leader.

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Forgot to mention, before Musashi and Kojirou showed up, Tsugumi had a plan to save everyone by having them flee to the top of the mountain behind the fortress. It seems likely that the fortress will be destroyed.

I too think that Musashi and Kojiro will stay there. A team that is losing and in dire needs of reinforcements, it's the perfect place for them IMO.
This also occurred to me, but I really want to see an arc where the MCs build their base from scratch (find a an old castle, install whatever is used to make it fly, fill it slowly with people...etc). It’s very likely if Hideo dies, the Kodameda clan survivors will become part of their bushidan.

As for Tsugumi’s sister, why did she and her companions particularly join the Kosameda samurais? The Kosameda seems to be a small-time bushidan. Also, Tsubame is idealistic and kind, and Hideo didn’t fit her image of the most ideal samurai that she dreamed of helping unify Japan.

Historically, the Hattori clan served Tokugawa, so their connection to him could be what destroyed their clan in this story. I hope we get Hideo’s POV on Taubame and the others.

Last edited:

airmattress

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Orient Vol. 1 sold 29,572 copies week 2 for a total of 52,442 sales so far.

So it did better this week. That's good to know, all things considered the sales might not be as bad as they initially appeared to be looking like. I don't expect it to stay in top 50 next week but idk it could... it is the first volume so a lot of people might wanna buy it over time just to check the manga at least.

Source

Last edited:

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Some last minute theories about the Kosameda samurais (why not?), contains spoilers:

-in ch 11, Hideo mentioned that this land was entrusted to them by Tokugawa. At first, I thought he was speaking generally and ‘this land’ meant Japan, but it might be only referring to the territory the Kosameda is currently governing. At first, I thought that similar to Gol D. Roger from One Piece, Tokugawa (maybe along with Oda and Toyotomi) might have been a legenadry samurai that all the bushidans looked up to. It leads me to this theory: the Kosameda could just be remnants of the Tokugawa bushidan, this could be why they are not based on a known clan from Sengoku. This could explain why the survivors of the Hattori clan, which served Tokugawa, are members of the Kosameda. The thing the Hattori survivors and Hideo share and kept Tsubame in the bushidan might have been that their parents were loyal to Tokugawa.

-I thought Tsugumi’s sister might have been Hideo’s girlfriend, but ch 13 could hint toward a different possibility. Tsubame was strong, loved and praised by everyone, and Hideo might have been jealous of her and felt threatened by her. Since he couldn’t surpass her, he was always putting her down in front of everyone (according to Tsugumi’s memories).

Last edited:

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
God damn, i have to say im liking Orient chapter by chapter. Its probably one of my most fav and enjoyable new reads. I must admit i wasnt that hyped when they revealed the "story" and setting, but i was on board nonetheless and mainly cuz it was Ohtaka and cuz i love Magi.

The beginning of the series was a bit clunky for my taste, with Ohtaka using a lot of her abstract style and panel composition she used in Magi's final arc which was a bit all over the place, but it wasnt bad. The introduction to our to main heroes was pretty cool with them as kids promising that they would become great warriors and free their land of monsters, but later Musashi's overdramatic personality and his over the top relationship with Kojiro (who is btw currently my fav in this series) was a bit too much, so i didnt like the character of Musashi that much at first. But hes starting to grow on me from chapter to chapter. Im getting the jist of his character and what hes all about. Good stuff by Ohtaka.

In my opinion Magi's beginning was superior to Orient's. Maybe thats just my bias towards Magi, who knows, but the story is getting really good now. Im starting to like the setting of the Japanese-ish Hi No Moto and the Attack on Titan/Final Fantasy kinda-ish story with the kishin/basically evil gods dominating the world of humanity and the bushi-samurai being the only ones able to free the world of this nightmare. The kishin are ok for now, demons that are like a stepping stone for the bushi to get stronger (kinda like a dungeon in Magi), but in the near or far future i will need enemies that are more human-like but still demons and have real brains and evil master plans.

So the characters, they were a bit meh in the beginning but are are pretty cool. Kojiro is currently my fav and Musahshi is really growing on me. As for the other notable characters like Takeda and Tsugumi, i like them. Takeda is kinda like a Sinbad to Orient with a little bit of Mu Alexius in him. He is like the wall that the main heroes want to surpass and a shining rival that they want to beat. As for Tsugumi, she is almost like Morgiana in the beginning of Magi. She kinda has the same problems but still very different cuz unlike Morgiana she isnt a slave duh. But unlike Morgiana she is a bit spunkier and happy-go-luckier. I like both the characters of Tsugumi and Takeda. Plus their color scheme is pretty cool, me like :verily
Also there is one more character that we got introduced to in recent chapters and that is Kosameda Hideo. What do i think of him, i think he is a damn bastard, but i kinda feel there is a really big background behind his personality and behaviour towards his people. He feels like a desperate man who lost a lot in his young days, and after a lot of his bushi died, he went a bit crazy, and after Tsugumi's sister died he went extra crazy with "we all die or we at live at least some of us" personality. Looking forward what Ohtaka has in store for the future.

A quick questions for the big shots here, or whoever is in charge. Will there be a whole forum in the near future, like Mashima's Edens Zero? :hmmMaybe you arent allowed to answer stuff like that, but im just a bit curious, sorry about that.

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Ch 14

Summary:

-Tsugumi is riding the bike with the main duo. They begin to discuss how to escort the villagers safely out of the village, and Tsugumi begins to panick that the guards, under Hideo’s orders, will kill any villager who tries to escape. Next, she calls Kojirou a ‘chauffeur’ and is under the impression that he’s weaker than Musashi. In a bushidan, it’s a custom that the one who navigates the bike is of a lower rank than the one who rides behind them. Kojirou gets mad, thinking that she’s making fun of him, and Musashi begins to defend him that she has no idea how awesome Kojirou is and he’s the one he depends on the most until the very end. Kojirou, seemingly after how inferior to Musashi he felt until now, becomes surprised that’s how Musashi has been seeing him. While watching their interaction, Tsugumi begins to doubt if she really can depend on them. Kojirou then begins to explain his plan how to get of the guards blocking the gate out of the way.

-Hideo has already gathered the villagers in the in front of the main gate and begins a speech that they’ll fight the demons and victory will be theirs. For a moment, the villagers are relieved that it seems the bushis are going to protect them, until Hideo mentions that in order to defeat the demons, they first need to detain them, and he will leave that to the villagers. The villagers object, questioning his sanity. Until now, all they did was working on the fields and he can’t expect them to fight. Hideo tells them that normally, the honor of fighting the demons goes to the bushis, and he always thought it’s a shame that the villagers can’t have such a privilege, but today is different. He adds with a creepy expression on his face that war is fun and today they can experience such a joy.

-Horrified by his creepy speech and expression, the villagers turn to the gates, and they are met with the faces of the soldiers who seem to be agreeing with Hideo’s plans. When they are about to surrender, Tsugumi sneaks in and throws explosives into the torches. She begins telling Hideo off that it’s a samurai’s duty to defend the citizens and it’s a disgrace that they’ll have them fight for them. Hideo retorts ‘and deserting one’s post while fighting the oni isn’t? Fighting the oni is a bushi’s raison d’etre’. Tsugumi counters that trying to fight the demons is a stupid plan and they must ask lord Tokugawa for help. Hideo tells her there’s no need to and he’s going to return home with the head of the kodama demons. Tsugumi counters ‘and what’s that going to accomplish?’isn’t it best to save their power for fighting the kishin?

-it turns out Tsugumi knows that she can’t reason with Hideo and that she’s just trying to distract him, but Hideo catches on that she was never someone to talk like that and that she must be planning something. He announces that as usual, his men are going to kill all the deserters, but to his shock, all of his men were rendered unconcious by Musashi and Kojirou. Kojirou’s plan was to use the smoke and Tsugumi’s speech to distract Hideo and take care of the guards. Tsugumi is ecstatic that it seems the villagers can escape now, but to her shock, no one is moving. As she wonders why they won’t escape, Hideo tells her how stupid she has been and that she doesn’t know anything.

airmattress

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Thanks for always doing these early summaries Haya!

Thinks are starting to get interesting, looking forward to how they're gonna be getting of this mess. As long as Musashi doesn't effortlessly cleave through all the demons (which I'm kinda afraid will be the case lol), it should be a fun ride.

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Thanks for always doing these early summaries Haya!
You’re welcome!

I’m excited to see what kind of character Tokugawa is. I expect him to be the opposite of Naotora and maybe more likely to be the main antagonist, considering who he’s based on.

It seems Hideo is an extreme case of someone who abides by the samurai code. Maybe he’s supposed to be an example of a not-so-awesome bushi that will leave both Musashi and Kojirou conflicted as they meet more of them. The main duo want to save Japan and they think bushis are the good guys, but I expect they are going to meet samurais whose methods and intentions are not so honorable. There’s also the mystery about Kojirou’s father.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Maybe thanks to the Slam Dunk reprints, Orient didn’t appear in the chart this week. I expect it to at least reach 70k-75k copies in total by the time volume 2 comes out. Not bad, but I suppose Kodansha expected way more than this. The first volume was a mixed bag and not the best introduction to this manga, but if this arc ended on a good note, it’s possible that positive word of mouth will attract more readers.

Link

CyberLance

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
At this point in my life, battles rank pretty low in terms of spectacle. I'm more interested in stakes and being invested in the characters taking part. I know for a fact young boys feel differently as I used to be one. To learn to care for and understand a character is a long process. But I think Ohtaka may have underestimated her audience.
For many anime and manga fans the battles seems to be the only thing they really care about and the only reason why they follow these series because if they are not happy with the fights than everything about the series becomes garbage.
The story, the characters, the world and everything else becomes terrible if people dont like the way the battles turn out.
The fights are cool and important yea but they are supposed to be far from the only thing we love and care about in these series and far from the only reason to watch or read them.

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Ch 15:

Summary:

-as the tsunami of kodama is swallowing the mountains nearby, Musashi wonders why no one is escaping. Hideo threatens the villagers that running away from battle is a crime not only punished by the death of the ones committing it, but also the death of their family. Musashi tells Tsugumi that they’ll die anyway if they stay, and she explains that they lived in fear of their master for so long to see that. She steps forward and takes a fighting stance, declaring that she’ll fight Hideo. If she defeats him, it might empower the villagers. But Hideo ignores her and orders the soldiers to get ready to fight and to prepare the villagers, even if they had to drag them, but Musashi beats them up, telling Tsugumi that they’ll take care of them, so she can focus on Hideo.

-the fight commence with the master and daughter exchanging blows and Tsugumi recalling her sister’s wish to protect the weak. At one point, Tsugumi is on her back on the ground after Hideo blocks a strike filled with her resolve to fight in her sister’s stead, and when he was about to deliver the final blow, Tsugumi recovers, but Hideo ends up turning the tables on her. He starts kicking her while reminding her who was the one who taught her how to fight and the rules he imposed on her (when her curfew starts, not being distracted by useless thoughts, training hard, following his orders) and ended his lecture with calling her a useless child. He then directs his lecture at the villagers, telling them that they are weaklings who can’t live without the protection of the bushi and their leader. With Hideo’s words striking a chord in them, the villagers begin to give in, and Hideo prods them that they have nothing to feel ashamed of, since animals can only live in groups. His attention then switches back to Tsugumi, telling her as he’s about to punch her already swollen face to listen to every word he’s saying, but Tsugumi responds with spitting blood at him.

-with everyone shocked, Tsugumi tells Hideo that she won’t listen to him anymore, and he counters that she’s a weakling who can’t do anything without him around. Tsugumi tells him that she may be weak and lacks confidence, but she will still fight. She pulls out her kunai with what looks like oni crystals extending behind her. She urges everyone to watch her and declares that she won’t lose to him.

Last edited:

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I stopped reading this manga because I bored and i picked it up.Frankly it has improved a lot.

Surely it has not a great opening like Magi but this series has lot of potential.Hope it sells well.

Ryuusu

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm much too late to do a lengthy first impression post, but I will say that it's interesting so far and has a lot of potential even though I was honestly not a fan of the action packed opening. Even though battles are kind of the backbone of shounens, I'm looking forward to things slowing down so we can get to know the characters better.

(I really like Tsugumi already!!)