Shounen - Orient by Shinobu Ohtaka | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Orient by Shinobu Ohtaka

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
A small detail that could be a foreshadowing, but on the white board at school, they drew Oda Nobunaga and Toyotomi Hideyoshi, but not Tokugawa Ieyasu. The three formed a team and Tokugawa was the only one who survived the Sengoku era. The fact that he wasn't drawn along with them could indicate that he's alive and might play a role in the future. The Sengoku period ended with him establishing the Tokugawa shogunate and starting the Edo period, and Ohtaka might stick with this fact, even if this was a fantasy. Musashi and Kojirou might end up meeting him and he becomes an ally of some sort.

airmattress

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Im guessing there are several Kishin as well? Like in rpg terms the Oni would be normal monsters and they would have a boss for their area called the Kishin? Because it the first page it says the Bushi (samurai) were fighting against the Kishin so it seems unlikely that there's just one who killed them all.

Before the translation I thought the book Kojirou found was used to summon that motorcycle, but turns out it was just an unrelated training book. Looks like the motorcycle and the Oni are made from the same crystals which is gonna be an important piece in the story.

Looking back even storywise this is very similar to Magi's start with Musashi taking Alibaba's role and Kojirou being Aladdin, but a little mixed up. It starts off with Musashi forced to do a job he doesn't want and is to afraid to state his real ambitions of becoming a Bushi. Alibaba also starts off a caravan driver who wanted to become rich dungeon diver but no one took him seriously, and it's not till Aladdin/Kojirou call them out and they're facing a giant monster that they decide to take action, and in the end they're saved by a supernatural power that the other main character has. There are differences of course, for one Alibaba was mostly using Aladdin throughout the start as opposed to the new guys who are already close friends, and Musashi starts off more like ur typical "nakama" main character.

In the chapter there was a disclaimer that this story is a work of fiction and has no relation to any people or organizations, which hints that we might see more characters inspired by historical figures in the future.
I think all the series with references or names of figures or places put that disclaimer. It's for copyright reasons or something, but it shouldn't hint towards anything in particular.

For all we know she could just bring back Nobunaga and Hideyoshi as undead or maybe the Kishin are zombies of dead people in the first place. There's not much limiting her.

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
I think all the series with references or names of figures or places put that disclaimer. It's for copyright reasons or something, but it shouldn't hint towards anything in particular.

For all we know she could just bring back Nobunaga and Hideyoshi as undead or maybe the Kishin are zombies of dead people in the first place. There's not much limiting her.
I don't remember her putting a disclaimer like that for Magi, that's why it caught my attention. Magi was inspired by fiction, while as Orient is inspird by history. When I see a disclaimer like that, I get the feeling we are going to see characters who are inspired by real people, and that the author is asking us to not draw any similarities between them. It gave me the impression 'this character's name is Musashi and you might think he's based on Miyamoto Musashi who lived 400 years ago, but there's no connection between them'.

I didn't mean there's anything limiting her, on the contrary.

Laminariales

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Also I just realised that Musashi and Kojirou arr also the japanese names of Jessie and James from pokemon lmao. I wouldn't be surprised if ppl end up doing fanart of them together XD
Too much pokemon today xDD

Not a bad start. Ohtaka is great at comedy and can create good characters but many of the battles in Magi were hard to follow, I hope it won't be the case in this one. It was good enough in this chapter.
Tbh I can never follow battle scenes in manga, just get upset when they're skipped

And I think there is more Oni too, and the statues represent them ( thanks to the awsome sensescans we know the two statues are called Kishimojin and Senjuki-Kannon) Avalokitesvara is kanon in jp so lets see!

As for Nobunaga and co. They could still be alive given that sensei is mixing up names, what Haya-san said intrigued me though whether we're still in sengoku or did the edo era start if they are dead. Also I might be exposed to fate too much but will there be genderbend of historical figures or are we meeting original female cast

Ice

Reaction score
Country
North Pole
Absolutely loved the first chapter. It reminds of magi and this alone is awesome! Ohtaka-sama is a true genius.
Any idea on which historical figure the main heroine will be based on?

Linali

Reaction score
Country
Poland
As I said earlier, I have mixed feelings about the chapter. I like main protagonists, their bond is really strong, they want each other happiness - I sense a great brotp :nod And they seem badass (especially Kojiro :hearts), so there is a chance, that this time we'll be spared from "let's join our hands and live in peace" kind of protagonists. I also like Musashi's internal conflict - he has a dream of becoming a warrior and he's doing his best with a training, but in the same time he can't force himself to said it loud, because he's affraid of ostracism and loneliness. That makes him very real in my eyes.

On the other hand I'm disappointed with oni's design. A giant teddy bear? And I'm suppose to take it seriously? Thanks, but nope. I can only hope, that oni kind is varied, otherwise I'll be rolling my eyes everytime I'll see this Toy Story crossover. Another disappointment is final scene. Like, really? Musashi couldn't show this notebook to Kojiro and explain himself properly? Or couldn't he tell his plan from the beginning? And he rushed at the oni without his weapon he himself handed over few minuter earlier? And Kojiro on this motorcycle :fail All this made ending of the chapter feel forced and awkward for me.

Anyway, this is only the beginning, so I'm waiting for continuation of the story. Can't wait to meet first bushi... bushis...? :s I don't really like this tl, I think I'll be just calling them "samurai".

airmattress

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Joker
What's wrong with Kojirou on a motorcycle :( motorcycles are cool. They have feelings too u know.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Absolutely loved the first chapter. It reminds of magi and this alone is awesome! Ohtaka-sama is a true genius.
Any idea on which historical figure the main heroine will be based on?
A female heroine hasn't been confirmed, right? I personally don't know of a famous female figure of this era. But since she is not exactly following history, she can change the gender of some character etc.

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
As for Nobunaga and co. They could still be alive given that sensei is mixing up names, what Haya-san said intrigued me though whether we're still in sengoku or did the edo era start if they are dead. Also I might be exposed to fate too much but will there be genderbend of historical figures or are we meeting original female cast
Ohtaka said this is a Sengoku battle fantasy, so we are definitely still in the Sengoku period. Nobunaga and Toyotomi died years before the end of the Sengoku period. Going by history and Miyamoto Musashi's age, the manga supposedly starts around the time of the Battle of Sekigahara, and the Sengoku era supposedly ends fifteen years later at the Siege of Osaka. But then again, this is a fantasy, so maybe we shouldn't take the dates or age of the people these characters were inspired by that seriously.

On the other hand I'm disappointed with oni's design. A giant teddy bear? And I'm suppose to take it seriously? Thanks, but nope. I can only hope, that oni kind is varied, otherwise I'll be rolling my eyes everytime I'll see this Toy Story crossover.
As someone who loves stuffed animals and cute things, I found the design disturbing. But maybe we got a teddy bear-like thing at the begining because this is probably the weakest oni that our heroes will encounter. I'm sure we'll see more sinister-looking enemies later on.

And Kojiro on this motorcycle :fail All this made ending of the chapter feel forced and awkward for me.
That was actually one of my favorite parts in the chapter. 'A motorcycle in medieval Japan? I'm sold!'. To me, this is a fantasy, and it's ok to see silly stuff like this. Maybe it won't feel that weird to you once we get an explanation on it.

Last edited:

Linali

Reaction score
Country
Poland
What's wrong with Kojirou on a motorcycle :( motorcycles are cool. They have feelings too u know.
That was actually one of my favorite parts in the chapter. 'A motorcycle in medieval Japan? I'm sold!'. To me, this is a fantasy, and it's ok to see silly stuff like this. Maybe it won't feel that weird to you once we get an explanation on it.
I have nothing against motorcycles, this scene was just bit out of a place for me. If they have motorcycles, why are they working in mines with hands and pickaxes, not using some advanced technology? I agree, that I have to wait and learn more about the world, but for now I can't help but have an impression, that this vehicle came from a different era :D Or Kojiro knows more than he wants to admit.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Fair start. Easy to like the main 2. Everyone else felt forgettable which is fine since we'll be moving away from them now. Agree about the oni looking silly, but it was kinda creepy as well.

Musashi and Kojirou might end up meeting him and he becomes an ally of some sort.
Thanks for the history/info. We'll be meeting someone older who knows the truth later on, I'd say.

If they have motorcycles, why are they working in mines with hands and pickaxes, not using some advanced technology?
There's something up with this, the kitetsuki are illegal so I wonder why. Perhaps it's demon slayer abilities.

But yea the bike was a shock for me too :gwahbut Kojiro's smoking + motocycle combination can work ; )

Im guessing there are several Kishin as well? Like in rpg terms the Oni would be normal monsters and they would have a boss for their area called the Kishin? Because it the first page it says the Bushi (samurai) were fighting against the Kishin so it seems unlikely that there's just one who killed them all.
Yep we should get monster tiers.

This might be what you're talking about. One leader, with 8 others; collectively they are kishin/fierce gods.

Ice

Reaction score
Country
North Pole
I liked the Oni. it was cute in a creepy way. It also reminded me of the dungeon creatures from Zagan's labyrinth.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
More than scary, I'd say these Onis were meant to look grotesque. They were fodder anyway.

I have nothing against motorcycles, this scene was just bit out of a place for me. If they have motorcycles, why are they working in mines with hands and pickaxes, not using some advanced technology? I agree, that I have to wait and learn more about the world, but for now I can't help but have an impression, that this vehicle came from a different era :D Or Kojiro knows more than he wants to admit.
Hard to know what is their level of technology but my guess is that they are more like magical artifacts or something. Onis are also probably more advanced and they don't want Humans to progress like they did.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Nice start.I really liked our 2 protagonists. They really remind me of Aladdin and Alibaba.

But bear shaped On I?Hmmm my mixed feelings. They don't look at all fearsome. Well reminds me of Bear Demons from NNT.

And that bike vroom vroom vroom.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
To be fair to the Oni, they were rather fearsome here

So if these Oni are an indication of what's to come (we only saw a few), they'll have relaxed and triggered states. Could be kinda fun if there are some cute ones that become savage.

Also, does anyone think there's something to Musashi having no surname, while Kojiro did? Perhaps Musashi's lineage is important in the story.

airmattress

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Joker

So if these Oni are an indication of what's to come (we only saw a few), they'll have relaxed and triggered states. Could be kinda fun if there are some cute ones that become savage.

Also, does anyone think there's something to Musashi having no surname, while Kojiro did? Perhaps Musashi's lineage is important in the story.
I think it's mostly a gag that Ohtaka likes to do every now and then. Someone here compared it to the creatures in Zagan's dungeon from Magi, and that's pretty accurate I feel. There's even this literal giant teddy bear that asks them for honey and turns into a freaky looking monster when it gets mad xD

But anyway, she does that with the fodder monsters, when things get more serious we probably won't see this kind of stuff.

And yes much like Aladdin it's all but certain that Musashi's surname is important.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India

Maybe his real name is Shinmen Takezo :zomg:zomg:zomg

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
That teddy bear was probably the lowest tier oni. That's usually how these mangas start, which is why it was so easily defeated I'm guessing. So far I'm liking the two protagonists. I want to see what Kojiro can do with his sword. The motorcycle was a bit out of place for that era but I don't mind. It adds an unknown element going forward. This way I know to prepare for anything lol. I wonder about the shift in perspectives though. Like why are the oni suddenly worshipped and the Bushi are the villains? That's some serious brainwashing, but was it natural like humans just adapting and giving into the greater power or did the Oni somehow manipulate it? I'm looking forward to more world building because if it's anything like Magi, we're going to see some interesting places and awesome characters.

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire

I like their shoes though, or whatever kojirou's are xD Also why do musashi's pants keep changing
They are wearing traditional Japanese sandals called Geta, or they look like boots that Ohtaka invented that she modeled after them. The Japanese sometimes wear them with socks.

Last edited: