Shounen Orient by Shinobu Ohtaka

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
2,690
Gender
Female
Country
Galactic Empire
I’m reading this manga on Manga Pocket, Kodansha’s official manga app. There’s an Orient message board, and up to ch 6, the reactions were very mixed. The most extreme comments were ‘if this manga was in Jump, it would’ve been canceled by now’ (exaggerated IMO), and ‘it’s not too late, just go back to Shogakukan and write more Magi’. Not all comments were negative, some readers showed more patience and have hope that things will get interesting after the MCs leave the town. The reactions to ch 7 have been mostly positive.

Kodansha and Ohtaka must be aware of the somewhat lukewarm reception from readers and that the upcoming arc will make or break this manga. Before this manga started, and considering the success of Magi, Kodansha must have expected that Orient might one day compete with the likes of the Seven Deadly Sins.
 

Linali

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2015
Messages
1,097
Reaction score
7,292
Gender
Female
Country
Poland
Finally cought up to the date, but unfortunately, I'm not pleased with what I've read :( First off, too much time was wasted in one place rather than spent it on world building. And it was wasted on boss fight, to which obviously our heroes weren't ready. But Musashi tried - and that's another issue I have with first chapters. Maybe I'm just old, but typical shounen idiot - I mean - MC, who see nothing, but the enemy in front of his own nose is not enjoyable for me anymore. Seeing him salty and trolled by Naotora was much more plausible - good, that someone show this spoiled brat his place. And prize for "shame you didn't kill Kishin" was gold :XD But much more than Musashi I'm disappointed in Kojiro - his introduction was promising, yet he turned out to be "I don't know, what should I do" type of cheerleader for Musashi very soon. Maybe the sooner the better, he spared me disappointment later, when I'd become more attached to him.
Hakuryuu started as a crybaby, so maybe there's still a hope for Kojiro tho...
Meeting with bushis was too soon too, imo, I'd prefer to hear more about them first, then meet them and confront rumors and expectations with harsh reality. But I kinda like Naotora (can't say much about his subordinates yet except for them being bunch of cheerleaders too), I hope to meet him again soon.
And yay, finally we will leave this village next chapter, I think I can revive my expectations then... but this time without enthusiasm.
 

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
2,690
Gender
Female
Country
Galactic Empire
Magi spoilers:

Remember 'who's Gyokuen?' mystery that drove the Alma Toran flashback? And 'what happened to Aladdin?' that she started the final arc with? Both plot directions, while ambitious IMO, left a lot of readers who read those chapters on a weekly basis quite frustrated. In the case of Alma Toran, people wanted to be done with it ASAP and see the main cast again. In the case of Aladdin's disappearance, people wanted answers and to see the main three reunited.

I get the feeling the start of this manga is kind of similar. Ohtaka probably thought starting this manga with a super boss fight was unconventional and might get the reader's attention from the get-go. It might not have sounded a bad idea on paper to her when she started working on this manga. The world building, the characters and the relationships between them was what got me attached to Magi, and I hope the upcoming arc will be more about those.
 

Laminariales

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Messages
393
Reaction score
395
Gender
Female
Country
Akatsuki
But much more than Musashi I'm disappointed in Kojiro - his introduction was promising, yet he turned out to be "I don't know, what should I do" type of cheerleader for Musashi very soon. Maybe the sooner the better, he spared me disappointment later, when I'd become more attached to him.
He certainly is pathetic at the moment,

Meeting with bushis was too soon too, imo, I'd prefer to hear more about them first, then meet them and confront rumors and expectations with harsh reality. But I kinda like Naotora (can't say much about his subordinates yet except for them being bunch of cheerleaders too), I hope to meet him again soon.
The takedadan are just one bushidan, as wholesome as naotora seems, with establishing "king of Hi no moto e" as the prize I'm eager for someone more selfish and self absorbed to come along xD

Remember 'who's Gyokuen?' mystery that drove the Alma Toran flashback? And 'what happened to Aladdin?' that she started the final arc with? Both plot directions, while ambitious IMO, left a lot of readers who read those chapters on a weekly basis quite frustrated. In the case of Alma Toran, people wanted to be done with it ASAP and see the main cast again. In the case of Aladdin's disappearance, people wanted answers and to see the main three reunited.
I was a volume reader for a large portion of magi, so in my opinion the pacing and events were good, just never enough like kou households, solomon companions, reim court...etc) The AT was a tough one because we knew no one BUT she did give flashback first pages like the children SharMasYamu and EnEihaku so generally I trust ohtaka with keeping my interest

I get the feeling the start of this manga is kind of similar. Ohtaka probably thought starting this manga with a super boss fight was unconventional and might get the reader's attention from the get-go. It might not have sounded a bad idea on paper to her when she started working on this manga. The world building, the characters and the relationships between them was what got me attached to Magi, and I hope the upcoming arc will be more about those.
I took it as showcasing the art with huge something tengu, if she had some sort of official blog that updates every so often with character sheets or the designs idea it would be entertaining, the only reason to stick with a manga as it starts out is art (or that's me). Maybe the volume release would have some sketches and stuff on the inside cover. Also no shounen story is complete without a heroine seriously though I'm having trouble imagining what kind of a party these two will get, especiely since they're talking of forming a dan
 

Samurai Rider

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2018
Messages
69
Reaction score
148
Country
England
Chapter 7

It’s pretty cool that now they are grown up and have seen a Kishin and Samurai firsthand, they can go back to that old scroll they read as kids and have a greater understanding of it, very relatable. Glad Musashi is pretty competent, in the first chapter when one of his classmates implied he wasn’t paying attention in class, I was worried he might be an idiot MC in the vein of Goku, Luffy etc
Kind of surprised Kojiro ended up being the one who isn’t book smart, I guess he must have avoided going to school much because of the bullying or something.

The scroll seems to be a manual with all the important information about being a Samurai, make sense given what Takeda talked about in chapter 5, heritage being their main weapon against the Kishin. So not only has this scroll inspired them to become Samurai but it will also help learn how to become Samurai. Kanemaki Jisai did a good job passing on the torch.

With all the Kishin recorded in the scroll and the objective of Samurai clearly layout, the main characters now have a tangible way of achieving their goal. Though I don't really see Musashi or Kojiro becoming the ruler of Japan.

It’s cool Musashi and Takeda left on good terms, that whole scene of Musashi declaring that he’s going to surpass them and become the strongest Samurai, with Naotora and his group smiling and challenging him to go ahead and try was great.

Ohtaka really hit the ground running with this series, in just 7 chapters she has me completely hooked. Characterized and developed the main characters, Musashi and Kojiro clicked with me way faster than Aladdin and Alibaba did. Gave them a goal and a clear, tangible way of completing it.
Shown us a glance of some of the themes this series will explore; not being ashamed of who you are, lineage and heritage. Established a benchmark for the main characters to be compared against and strive for in Takeda. Introduced us to this Dystopia version of Japan ruled about Oni, filled with conflicting views on how the world should be. Along with superb art and cool fight scenes, great first arc, I can’t wait for what’s next.
 

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
2,690
Gender
Female
Country
Galactic Empire
Ch 8 spoiler images:


And here’s your heroine?


A short summary:

-the duo begin their journey and Musashi talks about establishing a bushidan that’s going to be bigger than Naotora’s and they’ll get lots of weapons, armors, a castle and dozens of the steel horses (bikes). He tells Kojirou that even if they manage to recruit lots of people, Kojirou will always be his partner.

-the first three days go by with no problems, but then, when their food begin to run out, thay realize that the outside world is not fun and games as they thought. It’s hot at day and cold at night and since Tatsuyama is surrounded by mountains, it’s difficult to navigate the bike. The kaleidoscope is pointing toward the nearest kishin, which is a blue one, but unfortunately, it doesn’t tell them how many days until they find it. As they are worn out by the heat and hunger, the duo starts to fight. Musashi left the preparation for the journey to Kojirou and that he should’ve packed more food, and Kojirou counters as if Musashi knows better about the outside world.

-Eventually, Muasshi starts to hallucinate and Kojirou’s head starts to look like a fish, and it turns out they have arrived at a lake. They begin to fish and Kojirou catches lots while Musashi catches none. Still upset by their earlier fight, Kojirou gloats that while Musashi was living a comfy life in the dormitory, he learned how to ‘live’. He adds even though Musashi had such a big dream, he’s too weak to be of help in this journey. Musashi stomps off, leaving Kojirou puzzled at his own immaturity for trying to compete with musashi. It was Musashi who was more useful in the battle against the kishin, and compared to that, being better than him at fishing looked uncool. A little faraway, Musashi too wonders if he was immature and goes back to apologize, but to his shock, finds Kojirou on the ground with an injury in his neck. Musashi sees that couldn’t have been inflicted by a sword, and then, Kojirou warns him that something is behind him, but it’s too late and afigufe backhands Musashi, and it turns out to be a girl thief.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Summary by Eleore:


The girl is probably a ninja. I expected someone like Mor, and while I l quite like Mor, I’m glad that the heroine seems to have a different personality than her. I also hope we won’t get a Musashi/heroine/Kojirou love-triangle.

I think the first chapter was decent, it’s just the battle that followed and went on for weeks when we barely got the chance to know these characters and become attached to them that kind of killed the excitement little by little. It seems the upcoming chapters are going to be dedicated to adventuring, world-building, character introduction and preparing for the battle with the next colossus kishin.

I’m also going to say this. I’m not going to get my hopes up that this is going to surpass or be on par with Magi. Not because I don’t think it’s going to be good (it’s still too early to tell). It’s just that during my time being a manga reader, a manga author’s first or second series (I’m not counting one-shots) ends up being my favorite. The only exception was Osamu Tezuka’s Black Jack. Of course, it would be awesome if this is going to be as good as or better than Magi with a more satisfying final arc and ending, but at this point, I just hope it’s going to be a fun manga and that Ohtaka would succeed with it.
 

Laminariales

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Messages
393
Reaction score
395
Gender
Female
Country
Akatsuki
Can't believe the heroine is a bandit, well she's cute. The meowth to their team rocket...or so I hope, what will her color scheme be. also I wonder if it will be a trio this time or we'll keep adding, unless there is some bushidan strip mall maybe we'll need a person for each thing musashi mentioned, a blacksmith, mechanic (?) Metal veterinarian (?).. etc. Also not to keep drawing correlations with magi but with the amount of womanizing there, what if next chapter or long into the future kojirou look disdainfully "you'll always be my partner my ass"

Sengoku high heels aside, The part of being sick of everyone by road trip day 7 was relatable xD
 
Last edited:

crystalblade13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2014
Messages
652
Reaction score
329
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just read 4-6 today, I'm trying to wait as much as I can, since releases are so random. God I wish there was consistency...

Anyway, cool ending to the Kishi fight, in that naotora showed musashi up, as he should have. Though I do like musashi's psycho tendencies, I hope he branches out a bit more in the future. Great art with the bushi team up attacks on the Kishin, ohtaka, you never dissapoint with the art.

Favorite part was the post battle stuff though. We are getting some progress, and the "medal" musashi received was hilarious XD.

I just need some further characterization and worldbuilding and I think this series will be on its way to great things! You can do it ohtaka!
 

airmattress

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
2,214
Reaction score
983
Gender
Hidden
Country
Joker
I swear the shoes in this series just keep getting weirder and weirder..
What a pretty face on that thief girl tho! And it looks like we'll be recruiting our first new party member soon.. wonder if she'll be stubborn.

Edit: also those patterns the girl's wearing are probably impossible to animate in a timely manner. I can already see them heavily simplifying her clothes when they do the anime. Basically the Kougyoku treatment. I guess Ohtaka just loves those intricate clothes for her girls.

Tbh im surprised we're actually on chapter 8 already I thought we were still at 5-6. Idk that Kishin fight and aftermath took so long without anything very substantial happening. Didn't help that this Kishin and his teddy bear army were as generic as they come. I hope this next blue Kishin can at least talk.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
@Haya-san I know you usually look out for fanart, so do u have any idea if Orient's been getting any attention in that regard? I'm curious how it's being received in Japan now that we are almost 10 chapters in, and fanart is usually a good indication.
Though I suppose the 1st volume is coming next month so that'll give us some numbers. I'm not expecting anything extraordinary but I do hope it doesn't bomb.
 

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
2,690
Gender
Female
Country
Galactic Empire
@Haya-san I know you usually look out for fanart, so do u have any idea if Orient's been getting any attention in that regard? I'm curious how it's being received in Japan now that we are almost 10 chapters in, and fanart is usually a good indication.
Though I suppose the 1st volume is coming next month so that'll give us some numbers. I'm not expecting anything extraordinary but I do hope it doesn't bomb.
It only got a few, but I won’t worry about fanart now, since mangas usually don’t get a lot of them until the anime adaption. Most of my favorite Magi fan-artists only began drawing for Magi after they got into the manga through the anime. The Magi tag on pixiv was pretty active when the anime was airing. Back then, and up to three or four months after the anime ended, we got like one or two dozens fanart a day, but then, around near the end of the Alma Toran arc, we started getting less. From what I understood, those who get introduced to the manga through the anime read the available volumes and then start reading the magazine, read the volumes as they come, or put the manga on-hold and read it in bulks later. We might start getting more fanart after the first or second volume is out and more characters show up.

I think what determines the fate of a manga is its ranking in the magazine and volume sales. If Orient manages to sell well and this arc and the upcoming ones keep the readers interested, then it’s going to stay and we might get an anime adaption when we get enough content for that.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Ch 9 spoiler images:




Sorry, a very short summary:

-the girl at forst uses martial arts to detain Musashi, but it turns out he received training in the mining school. Then, she reveals her chedt, which worked on Kojirou, who was overcome by shock, but it too disn’t have any effect on Musashi, whi was mentally trained at school to block any thoighgs that distract him from mining. The girls then hears a bell ringing and days something about being late and being scolded by her boss, and ahe takes off with their bike. Her boss is revealed to be Kosameda Hideo and the girl is Hattori Tsugumi.
 

Laminariales

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Messages
393
Reaction score
395
Gender
Female
Country
Akatsuki
Sorry, a very short summary:

-the girl at forst uses martial arts to detain Musashi, but it turns out he received training in the mining school. Then, she reveals her chedt, which worked on Kojirou, who was overcome by shock, but it too disn’t have any effect on Musashi, whi was mentally trained at school to block any thoighgs that distract him from mining. The girls then hears a bell ringing and days something about being late and being scolded by her boss, and ahe takes off with their bike. Her boss is revealed to be Kosameda Hideo and the girl is Hattori Tsugumi.
The typos made it funnier

Uhm in Ohtaka's defense, everyone was saying they wanted to see the heroine
A very colorful chapter, but to those who survived aladdin this is nothing. Tsugumi is a very versatile fighter I'd say, but musashi school deserves credit for their training regime. The battle was like unlocking stages but why is sex appeal before actual weapon? that's sad, well kojirou went down with stage 2

Ok and she belongs to a dan, what kind of bushidan work as bandits? have my corrupt bushidan arrive at last. the boss guy have the mole of evil (x2) so I hope for an irredeemable bad guy here (he's not from the shadows from prev chapters?)
 

airmattress

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
2,214
Reaction score
983
Gender
Hidden
Country
Joker
^ Typos, surviving Aladdin, and moles of evil? XD am I missing something
 

Laminariales

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Messages
393
Reaction score
395
Gender
Female
Country
Akatsuki
^ Typos, surviving Aladdin, and moles of evil? XD am I missing something
Eh? those are typos? I'm not aware even after you pointing them out so more like errors xD what did you think of the chapter?
 

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
2,690
Gender
Female
Country
Galactic Empire
Summary by Eleore:


I just noticed that the new samurai has two beauty spots XD even though I didn’t like the Takedas, at least Naotora seemed like an honorable samurai who took care of his men. This Hideo on the other hand looks creepy as hell and seems to be taking advantage of Tsugumi’s adoration of him. I hope he has a good bad guy backstory. MaybeTsugumi’s oni-slaying mission will lead Musa and Koji to the next kishin.

Tsugumi being of the Hattori clan indicates that she’s a ninja. I also got the feeling since the kishin battle that Ohtaka might end up being faithful to history and is slowly developing a rivalry betwee Kojirou and Musashi.
 
Last edited:

airmattress

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
2,214
Reaction score
983
Gender
Hidden
Country
Joker
Good chapter, but really? They teach u to flip girls over on your back in mining school? I did find it hilarious that Kojirou ended up falling for the boobs trick, but he's been pretty useless when it comes to fighting, and we haven't seen any of that supposed samurai training.
Finally a sketchy guy appears. Been waiting for that. Though seeing those last 2 pages I can't help but feel this guy is gonna end up being a creep that's abusing his power and doing some not very appropriate things to this girl and maybe others as well. I wouldn't put it past Ohtaka

Eh? those are typos? I'm not aware even after you pointing them out so more like errors xD what did you think of the chapter?
No I was asking you what you meant lol. You were the one talking about typos and all those other things about Aladdin and moles.
 

Laminariales

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Messages
393
Reaction score
395
Gender
Female
Country
Akatsuki
Tsugumi being of the Hattori clan indicates that she’s a ninja. I also got the feeling since the kishin battle that Ohtaka might end up being faithful to history and is slowly developing a rivalry betwee Kojirou and Musashi.
She also did take out a kunai so yup! I wonder on the history part like sometimes ohtaka take only the names and others like
AliMor and the gist of SnB followed 1001 night
so...

Good chapter, but really? They teach u to flip girls over on your back in mining school? I did find it hilarious that Kojirou ended up falling for the boobs trick, but he's been pretty useless when it comes to fighting, and we haven't seen any of that supposed samurai training.
Excellent curriculum. As for kojirou A girl wearing like 7 bells snuck up on him. I....(I understand it was the secret weapon no judgement kojirou). And UHM what about fishing and packing for an adventure please don't underestimate koji training

Finally a sketchy guy appears. Been waiting for that. Though seeing those last 2 pages I can't help but feel this guy is gonna end up being a creep that's abusing his power and doing some not very appropriate things to this girl and maybe others as well. I wouldn't put it past Ohtaka
Except for the not appropriate part god I hope so, I can't believe I'm saying this but ryousai/jamil were refreshing in a way. and for the typo thing I was refereing to haya-san's short summary, it was just at the right word it made me chuckle xD
 

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
2,690
Gender
Female
Country
Galactic Empire
On Manga Pocket, some people commented on Tsugumi’s M-shaped bangs that looks just like Alibaba’s and that it doesn’t go with her almond-shaped eyes.

Maybe Kojirou’s sword holds a secret, since it belonged to a samurai. It’s possible that it contains the power of a kishin and that unlike Musashi’s pickax, it might cut through a kishin’s weak point. If Ohtaka is intending for Musashi and Kojirou to be rivals in the future, then Kojirou should acquire some power of his own. Or at least, I hope Ohtaka hasn’t shown us in detail the full extent of his power yet because he will stand out later.
 

airmattress

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
2,214
Reaction score
983
Gender
Hidden
Country
Joker
Chapter 7 by sensescans
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I might be out of the loop, but what's manga pocket?
 

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
2,690
Gender
Female
Country
Galactic Empire
I might be out of the loop, but what's manga pocket?
Manga Pocket is Kodansha’s official app where you can buy Weekly Shounen Magazine, Bessatsu and manga chapters. It’s kind of like Manga One. It’s better than Book Walker beacause they offer you the option to buy manga chapters at 80 yen (about 0.7 dollar) and they offer free points. Orient is the only manga I read on there and thanks to their point system, I can get one free chapter a month. Each manga has its own message board.
 

airmattress

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
2,214
Reaction score
983
Gender
Hidden
Country
Joker
Ou neat. I guess if you count the free chapters it's the same price as buying the volume over there. Im assuming there's no official english version for the app which is kind of a shame, but at the very least we can get a good idea what fans in Japan think of the manga.
 
Top