Shounen Orient by Shinobu Ohtaka

Ice

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2016
Messages
525
Reaction score
222
Country
North Pole
Arrrgh this is so interesting I am literally dying to read all these chapters!!!! I am very grateful that sensescans is doing this series, but I really wish they were more up to date!!!

Speaking of which, what is the reception of the manga so far like? as in is it famous in Japan? not just sales wise but like in general.

Who do you think will be on the cover of volume 5?

Edit: I think after 7NT wraps up, Orient will receive more of the lime light.
 

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
2,690
Gender
Female
Country
Galactic Empire
Speaking of which, what is the reception of the manga so far like? as in is it famous in Japan? not just sales wise but like in general.
I won’t say it’s famous. When it was announced, people were hyped for it, but little by little, the hype died out. The Orient message board on the MagaPocket app isn’t very active. A new chapter might only get a few comments, but sometimes, there are discussions that compares it to Magi or how it reminds them of it. None of the artists that I follow on Twitter follow it weekly, but some buy the volumes and might draw something for it every once in a while.

I feel like the way ohtaka started it (and the way she ended Magi) kind of hurt this manga, but that’s just my observation. Who knows? Maybe a good anime adaption or the upcoming chapters will draw in more readers.
 
Last edited:

Laminariales

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Messages
393
Reaction score
395
Gender
Female
Country
Akatsuki
Who do you think will be on the cover of volume 5?
The obsidian gal most likely, as for color scheme vol.4 was black so... (I just noticed shirou (#4) was the cover of volume 4, such a bad omen haha)

I feel like the way ohtaka started it (and the way she ended Magi) kind of hurt this manga, but that’s just my observation. Who knows? Maybe a good anime adaption or the upcoming chapters will draw in more readers.
I think it's 2 problems: There is no premise + the storyarcs are badly executed

HxH: Hunter exam, even the filler part in the old anime was good because the set up is solid. and minus one build up arc all what followed was on the same level
Naruto: A mission to protect a a builder from assassins coming after his life hired by mob boss while he complete building a bridge that can help trade and enrich his country PLUS compelling villains and cool hand seals
FMA: don't remember it to have arcs arcs but serial killer after state agent, human experimentation, tear jerker and great comedy all sprinkled at the same time
Kimetsu no yaiba: Idk just cool and each chapter delivers, but I gave it like 40+ chapter and don't regret it so orient gets the same chance

Then again I don't know how gintama wasn't cancelled early on xD although it delivers immensely later but based on early chapters it sucks
1. Fire tengu kishin arc: 2/10
2. Kosameda bushidan arc: 1/10 (that one was the worse imo)
3. Obsidian megami arc: 4/10 (bc I like Nanao)

As for magi:
1. Amon dengeon: 3/10 (that's said I like the backgrounds art for magi earliest chapter it make focusing on the characters easier, thing are much hazier with orient)
2. Kouga tribe: 2/10
3. Slave traders: 6/10 (bc the action rather than the story)
4. Balbadd arc: 10/10

All my favorite shounen have the coolest antagonist groups, so I'll keep my eyes on the Inu people. How I wish the Kou empire remained antagonistic longer
 

airmattress

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
2,214
Reaction score
983
Gender
Hidden
Country
Joker
^Yeah I agree. It just got its priorities wrong, and a lot of things felt too uninteresting. Hopefully its not too late for the manga to get back on track since it seems like its finally shaping its own identity after a very... uhhh, random? start
 

Ice

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2016
Messages
525
Reaction score
222
Country
North Pole
Aaand we now have choppers! Familiar faces reenter the fray!!!
I like the guy with the lip piercing
 

Laminariales

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Messages
393
Reaction score
395
Gender
Female
Country
Akatsuki
Lol the whiplash from seeing takeda, he's probably one of uesugi association affiliated bushidans, although important enough to ride the choppperrr. The handsome, feels like a cook rather than a bushi, guy isn't an uesugi either judging by the symbol on his back. No uesugi this chapter other than the ships and chopper
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


It's possessed Musashi!
 

Ice

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2016
Messages
525
Reaction score
222
Country
North Pole
Who in god's name is this? why can't I recognize this character?????

Is this Musashi? this soon?!!!
 
Last edited:

Laminariales

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Messages
393
Reaction score
395
Gender
Female
Country
Akatsuki
Eyay good chapter! Good entrance for uesugi tatsuomi and spent an hour googling sengoku clans crests, neat stuff. I wonder what dans michiru and the cook belong to

Naotora is important, should've known by his fashionable clothes
 

Ice

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2016
Messages
525
Reaction score
222
Country
North Pole
The art of this manga is heavenly!!!!

Yaaaas a color spread!!!!
 

The Knight of War

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2016
Messages
234
Reaction score
425
Gender
Male
Country
Vandenreich
who is the strongest among those 5 strongest clans ?

and What is the relationship between Michiru and the Uesugi clan ?


--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

chapter 49 raw

 

Ice

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2016
Messages
525
Reaction score
222
Country
North Pole
So the color spread is the cover? :(

half a million in a year? this gotta be good, right?
 

Laminariales

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Messages
393
Reaction score
395
Gender
Female
Country
Akatsuki
The inu people at the end, the kishin to be fought is top tier (engoku tengu was like weakest level), uesugi is ruthless, and naotora covered for the main kids

I would like to see how the Inu guys compare to strongest 5 like naotora and tatsuomi, the problem I think Inuda #8 is a fodder
 
Last edited:

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
Did the story get interesting?

I was bored around chapter 12-13.

If it got better I will pick it up again.
 

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
2,690
Gender
Female
Country
Galactic Empire
half a million in a year? this gotta be good, right?
Half a million copies for the first four volumes isn’t bad, but like I mentioned in a previous post, the problem is that volume 4 didn’t make it to the top 50 Oricon chart. If future volumes also fail to make it to the top 50 and the sales kept dropping, then I’ll be worried. I think even at its current quality, Orient is probably safe for the next year or two, but if the manga failed to attract more readers, then it’s in danger.

Did the story get interesting?

I was bored around chapter 12-13.

If it got better I will pick it up again.
We entered a new the 4th arc a few weeks ago. Arc 3 was about Musashi and Kojirou getting their demon blade, we learned about Musashi’s past and this manga’s equivalent of Althamen were introduced. Arc 4 introduced some seemingly interesting/badass characters, and a large-scale battle is about to commence. It’s still not on par with Magi’s earlier arcs, but the current chapters of Orient are an improvement over the earlier ones.

I think one of the reasons why it was hard for me to get into this manga was the lack of interesting characters. It also didn’t help that Musashi started as a typical/boring/obnoxious MC, though it seems Ohtaka realized that and she’s toned him down to the point he’s reminding me of Alibaba. The new characters in Arc 4 got me hyped, but there’s still a part of me that’s worried I’ll end up disappointed.

Overall, I would suggest coming back in a few months and see what everyone thinks of this arc before deciding whether to pick it up again.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
Half a million copies for the first four volumes isn’t bad, but like I mentioned in a previous post, the problem is that volume 4 didn’t make it to the top 50 Oricon chart. If future volumes also fail to make it to the top 50 and the sales kept dropping, then I’ll be worried. I think even at its current quality, Orient is probably safe for the next year or two, but if the manga failed to attract more readers, then it’s in danger.



We entered a new the 4th arc a few weeks ago. Arc 3 was about Musashi and Kojirou getting their demon blade, we learned about Musashi’s past and this manga’s equivalent of Althamen were introduced. Arc 4 introduced some seemingly interesting/badass characters, and a large-scale battle is about to commence. It’s still not on par with Magi’s earlier arcs, but the current chapters of Orient are an improvement over the earlier ones.

I think one of the reasons why it was hard for me to get into this manga was the lack of interesting characters. It also didn’t help that Musashi started as a typical/boring/obnoxious MC, though it seems Ohtaka realized that and she’s toned him down to the point he’s reminding me of Alibaba. The new characters in Arc 4 got me hyped, but there’s still a part of me that’s worried I’ll end up disappointed.

Overall, I would suggest coming back in a few months and see what everyone thinks of this arc before deciding whether to pick it up again.
Okay I will do it then.

Around November I will ask all of your opinion again.
 

Eastgrove

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2014
Messages
2,458
Reaction score
714
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm still waiting for the first arc to be scanlated.
 

Laminariales

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Messages
393
Reaction score
395
Gender
Female
Country
Akatsuki
Has anyone seen what the back cover of volume 5 is? the stupid paper block the view it most twitter pics
 

Haya-san

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
2,690
Gender
Female
Country
Galactic Empire
Has anyone seen what the back cover of volume 5 is? the stupid paper block the view it most twitter pics
I bought the digital version, but unfortunately, it doesn’t have the back cover.

Something for the shippers, but according to the volume 4 omake, Tsugumi brotherzoned (at least for now) both Musashi and Kojirou. She described them as ‘It feels like having big brothers who are one year older than me’
 
Last edited:

Laminariales

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Messages
393
Reaction score
395
Gender
Female
Country
Akatsuki
In my search for the back cover seen some pretty good fanarts


side note: if the inuda people are a reference to momotaro is number 8 guy ganna be the monkey?don't really have high hopes for him but if he pulled a hxh youpi it will be a joy, although rn it seams like tatsuomi time
 
Top