Seinen - Otoyomegatari by Mori Kaoru | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Otoyomegatari by Mori Kaoru

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania

Author: Mori Kaoru
Genre: Historical, Drama, Slice of Life
Serialized In: Fellows
Original publisher: Enterbrain
English publisher: Yen Press
Mangaupdates

It features the story of Amira who is sold to Karluk's(her husband) family and their life. The everyday events are observed by a Western scientist, who is doing research on every event, cultural activity.

The story is at its second volume, it has one of the best arts I've seen in manga, and the cultural details of the Silk Road are fascinating.

PS: I couldn't find the existing thread, so there you go, it's a very good manga, and I recommend it especially for those who love the historical and slice of life genre.
Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Re: Otoyome-gatari by Mori Kaoru

this sounds interesting, bene. I'll read it tonight :wtf

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Wow I just read the first chapter and the art is gorgeous!! And it's too cute, really, I could die :faint

Paneling is well done too. So that the scenes (re: hunting scene) play out really well it's almost like I could hear the hooves of the horse and the whip of her bow :nuts

aaah I caught up to chapter 15. It's sad though because I absolutely adore this couple Amira and Karluk and it seems that by the middle of the second volume the story shifts focus.

I couldn't find any more details about this manga. All descriptions and summaries say it's about Amira and Karluk but I'm worried that maybe it's actually like, a collection of different young brides' stories as observed by Mr. Smith the scholar?

What do you think, bene?

Last edited:

shouryuujo

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

without spoiling much it does shift to mr. smith for a bit but as far as story is concerend it is still all about the clan amira and karluk are in.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania

Wow I just read the first chapter and the art is gorgeous!! And it's too cute, really, I could die :faint
<hr noshade size="1">
Paneling is well done too. So that the scenes (re: hunting scene) play out really well it's almost like I could hear the hooves of the horse and the whip of her bow :nuts
<hr noshade size="1">
aaah I caught up to chapter 15. It's sad though because I absolutely adore this couple Amira and Karluk and it seems that by the middle of the second volume the story shifts focus.

I couldn't find any more details about this manga. All descriptions and summaries are say it's about Amira and Karluk but I'm worried that maybe it's actually like, a collection of different young brides' stories as observed by Mr. Smith the scholar?

What do you think, bene?
The art is amazing isn't it...this manga for me was a result of the MH Manga Awards...I was in charge in costume design, and for a long time, Otoyome-gatari was in the top of the list, and then it went second place in the nominations. So I was really interested, since I love good art, it was the reason I started reading manga in the first place.

For me the most astonishing piece of art in the manga were those carpets, when the granny showed Amira the art of weaving...the different designs, symbols of each tribe were amazing...I mean that level of details speaks a lot about the mangaka...

The plot...I think the same as well...it was indeed a sudden shift from simple 3rd person support character, to primary role...the scholar I mean...and I thought hey, the story could be about him telling bride stories...that would've been cool as well, and the title suggested the same thing as well...that's why it was a bit hard when I wrote the summary...I didn't want to spoil, but I had to include the scholar as one of the main focus as well...

without spoiling much it does shift to mr. smith for a bit but as far as story is concerend it is still all about the clan amira and karluk are in.
That's cool I love to hear that...I mean the whole tribe conflict just screams for more involvement of Amira...

@babo...so continuing the idea, I did think that maybe somehow this conflict this near-war situation will somehow make the scholar stay in asia, so therefore the chances of meeting Amira are higher...he does have some mystery around him...

I think the overall plot will focus on the war, and how the different tribes will manage to settle their differences...so therefore more tribe conflicts, with some personal touch from Schmidt...that would be cool

@shouryuujo...U read the raws right, because Edited Manga stopped as far as I know, most probably because not mainstream stuff are scanlated in volumes...

Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

how many chapters does it have, really, so far? Wikipedia only says there are 2 volumes so far, so I thought the 15 chapters scanlated as believable, considering it was first released in 2009.

Bene, you mean Manga Editors dropped this project already? the last release was last month so I didn't think they'd have dropped it... :s

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Scantily Clad still has it listed as an active project. They're just.... slow. Fellows is bi-monthly so there can't be that many unscanlated chapters. Volume 1 comes out here in May. I can't wait to get a copy.

I've actually enjoyed the shift to Mr. Smith. He's an interesting character, I like the girl he promised to marry too. Hopefully new chapters come out soon, I'm really interested in what the Russians are planning.

I love the art too, especially the costume design. The outfits are incredibly ornate and realistic looking.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

there is a mystery behind the girl who is about to marry Mr. Smith though. Like, why 5 husbands? But I'm sure we'll eventually get to that.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania

there is a mystery behind the girl who is about to marry Mr. Smith though. Like, why 5 husbands? But I'm sure we'll eventually get to that.
Because she was already indebted and part of the family...when a bride is given away it is very hard to get her back(see Amira's case) and in most cases it is shameful to return UR own tribe and one risks to remain single and without a family, and there's the possibility that UR own tribe won't accept U back...I think that's the composite reason she stayed...she married all the brothers to avoid shame and remain in the family

About the Edited Mangas...I don't think it was dropped...but as Kaiten said, they're not only slow, but in the case of newer titles, the teams tend to scan entire volumes and release all at once or release them periodically...so the main reason is they don't have the 3rd volume yet... the problem is though that there's not enough info about the series in general...as U said there's no telling how many chapters are out, did the mangaka take a break...but it seems that the story continues, as we can see fro shouryuujo's reply

Scantily Clad still has it listed as an active project. They're just.... slow. Fellows is bi-monthly so there can't be that many unscanlated chapters. Volume 1 comes out here in May. I can't wait to get a copy.

I've actually enjoyed the shift to Mr. Smith. He's an interesting character, I like the girl he promised to marry too. Hopefully new chapters come out soon, I'm really interested in what the Russians are planning.

I love the art too, especially the costume design. The outfits are incredibly ornate and realistic looking.
Yep...and judging from great, classical novels, wars involving russian give birth to extensive and great conflicts, either emotional, power, pride etc...

Last edited:

PROzess

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Scantily Clad still has it listed as an active project. They're just.... slow.
No we arent, you're just too impatient.
Atm there are 16 japanese chapters out, 15 are released. we just got the raws for 16 this week.
Be a bit more patient, we have lifes too.

Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: [FEATURED] Otoyome-gatari by Mori Kaoru

I started reading yesterday and like it so far (Ch. 04).
Sadly it's hard to tell some of the characters apart imo (Amira and one or two of the other women look quite similar).
That grandmother is hillarious :D

It kinda reminds me of Historie both in arts (Otoyome-Gatari looks better, but has a similar style) and storytelling, as well as the fact that it seems to be a fictional story in a realistic historical scenario.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

yeah it's hard to tell them apart within the tribe. You have to pay attention to their clothes to tell sometimes.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Ok, so I caught up and ofc I'm sad that it's only so short yet :(

Just like Kaiten, I really liked the shift to Mr. Smith and especially that woman. How regretable that he doesn't just marry her right away, could've been very interesting :D
I hope these two will find together soon.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I have a feeling the Russian Army, British Army, and Great Game will come between them. I feel like an epic Victorian love story coming. And I welcome it.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

c116 ia out. haven't read it yet but maybe you guys already have. What do you think about the new chapter? I'm so excited...

okay so I just read it. And I really wanna try those food @_@ i wanna go there just to observe and eat, if I could!

I don't quite get what Pariya is on about the food, and how the guide agreed they shouldn't eat out there because they had women... Maybe it's vulgar for women to eat street food?

Anyway, things are going good for Pariya, I hope the kid gets interested in her. \o/

Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Interesting for the future to see Mr. Smith and his potential bride traveling together :D
Oh wow, that chapter makes one hungry asap. So delicious :omg

Maikeru Anjero

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Japan

I wonder Mr. Smith main character?
If is, the stage will move to another area with him go other place.
If he go to India, I hope we can see Hakim, character from Mori's another manga, Emma.

Sama_al_Azraq

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

And the marriage promise turned out to be cancelled. Well, it can't be helped. As a reader I have my sympathy for Smith, but marriage is not only from mutual love (even Amira and Karluk saw each other for the first time when they get married). It's what the way it is in their culture.
The manga itself is stories about marriages and things around it, so I expect there will be another couple story in the next arc. Ali and Smith will go with route 2, through Persia and join kafilah/caravan to Ankara. So probably there is where the story will be. Maybe about Ali? He is in process of collecting money so he can get a bride.
Although there's also the possibility of trouble with route 2 so they have to take route 1 through Caspian Sea, or route 3 through mountain path. If it takes Caspian Sea route, we may see more story about the Russian and their wedding culture.
With the PoV now completely focused on Smith, I wonder if we will ever see Amira and Karluk again in the future.

Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

did you like,,,, have access to the newest chapter???