Lol they're considered dialects rather than different languages, and they do have some similarities from what I know. My mother side of the family is Imusean from Cavite, and her dialect is different from my father side of the family which is Bicolano. Anyways, having different dialects doesn't help unity to much, but for those who allow themselves to be open minded enough, it doesn't or shouldn't matter to much. Of course that's just my opinion, and I've lived my whole life in the United States so I don't know the Philippines as well as some of you do. My knowledge only comes from my family, and the books I've read, so please forgive me. I've only been to the Philippines once when I was a kid, so I don't remember much of it at all.
Well anyways, this is my first time in the Pinoy thread, so let me introduce myself. My name Jaime, and I'm 1 of the art mods here. Besides reading manga, I also compose, and play music. Unfortunately, I don't know how to speak Tagalog, or any other Filipino dialect, so please forgive me for my ignorance. My parents raised me at a time in the United States where it was encouraged to, and believed that only teaching your children English was the best thing to do. This was supposedly done for educational purposes, as well as to fit in better with an English speaking society. Personally, I think it would of been better if I was raised to be bilingual like most of you are, but it wasn't my choice, and I had know idea it was done on purpose. Well anyways, I'll try to stop by here more often to see what's going on. If anyone wants to here the first songs I've written on guitar with vocals, I'll leave a link. Over here in the U.S., most Filipino's from my generation only listened to rap, and hip hop, so I'm hoping some of you might be open minded enough to like guitar oriented music. Well thanks for reading my introduction message here in the Pinoy thread, and here's the link.
www.myspace.com/jamieflor