Cleaning Preserving the 'pattern.'

Abhishek

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
India
Hello!!^^

I recently started to practice cleaning.

While doing so, I stumbled on to a raw where I was confused how to clean it the proper way.

I mean, I did the basic cleaning but here in this raw there are some patterns that I need to preserve.

To make things clear, here's the uncleaned raw I'm talking about where I have marked the type of pattern(with 'red' color) that I want to preserve:


The 'output' I want after working on the patterns can be seen on this cleaned images(I have marked the output with 'red' color):


I really want to know how to do so.

And if you can explain all the steps to clean the whole image like the 'output' image, then I would really appreciate it.

So, I need help from all of you.^^


Hoping to have a good reply soon.....


See you!! ^^

[sally]added spoiler tags around large images[/sally]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Name-Undecided

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
91
Reaction score
8
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Hello!!^^

The 'output' I want after working on the patterns can be seen on this cleaned images(I have marked the output with 'red' color):

I really want to know how to do so.
Hello.
The pattern is the screentone and if you want to preserve it, there are some ways to go about it.

You can forgo using filters on the page. That means no Denoise/Topaz/whatever it's called. Use manual cleaning methods like leveling, brush tools, dodge/burn tools, etc. Technically it should be possible to tone down the settings on the filters so they aren't so overwhelming, but I've never used them so I wouldn't know how.

If you don't want to forgo the filters altogether, there's something else you can do. To preserve tones and details, select them with the Select Tool or the Lasso Tool (any) or the Quickmask tool. This will allow you to work on the rest of the page separately, so you can, for example, level the main page like crazy and go easy on the selected parts, or vice versa.

That way you can select the parts you don't want filtered, filter around them, then manually clean your selection afterwards. Might be a bit difficult getting the result to look uniform and not patchy, but it might be worth trying.

Alternatively you can manually reapply the screentone if you can find a matching pattern, but as you can imagine this is an incredible amount of work rarely worth bothering with. Certainly not for bad raws like this.

And if you can explain all the steps to clean the whole image like the 'output' image, then I would really appreciate it.
I don't understand this question. If you want to learn how to clean, read lots of tutorials (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5686) and practice, practice, practice.
 

Abhishek

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 10, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
India
Hello Name-Undecided!! ^^

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Definitely, I'll have to work harder to get better. ^^

I think I can gray out the screentoned part of the raw scan.

What do you think? Would it be alright to do it?

Thanks again!!


See you!!^^
 
Last edited:

Name-Undecided

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
91
Reaction score
8
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Gray out? What do you mean by gray out? If you mean you're going to paint over it in gray...(worst.idea.ever)

Well, try it and post the results here and let's see.
 

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2007
Messages
128
Reaction score
119
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Weekly pages are ugly. The printing is occasionally uneven and even if it's not, the quality and coloring of the pages themselves (at least in Jump) makes preserving the patterns an impossible dream. Your best bet is to either replace them entirely, or just wait for a much higher-quality printing in the volumes.

If you insist on trying, first you have to stop using filters. In fact, everyone needs to stop doing that. I'll give you a minute to uninstall them.

........

Okay. Next, you need to level in small steps. Instead of one big jump, take several smaller ones before you resize the page. It may require one afterwards, too. Once you do, go over the pattern with the clone brush where needed, using a good section as your home point. Try to line it up as well, so you don't break the repeating pattern. Mind the gradient, as most patterns in the background fade to black or white.
 
Top