Discussion Professional Translator

seme-_-uke

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Hi
My dream is to become a professional translator for anime and manga but I dont know how to start. I have been taking Japanese for 7 years and plan to study abroad this coming year to help with my fluency. I have also submitted applications to Manga companies but have not heard from them. I have just started translating and I have not had any internships since there is no opportunities like that in Minnesota. I was wondering what you all recommend.

Plus the study abroad I am doing one is like 20,000 at Nagoya
the other is 40000 in Tokyo with internship possibilities and one of them is Japanime. What do you guys think?
 

Strider's♥Death

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
1,469
Reaction score
260
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hi
My dream is to become a professional translator for anime and manga but I dont know how to start. I have been taking Japanese for 7 years and plan to study abroad this coming year to help with my fluency. I have also submitted applications to Manga companies but have not heard from them. I have just started translating and I have not had any internships since there is no opportunities like that in Minnesota. I was wondering what you all recommend.

Plus the study abroad I am doing one is like 20,000 at Nagoya
the other is 40000 in Tokyo with internship possibilities and one of them is Japanime. What do you guys think?
Uhhhhhhhh If u really have a chance of getting an internship at JapanAnime then HOLD ON TO THAT FOR DEAR LIFE YES YES!!!!!!.
*drools*
 

seme-_-uke

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
United States
But that is also 40000 and I would have to pay with loans as fin aid would maybe cover 1/4 of it...X( ...that is my main issue...plus it is not guranteed that I would be placed with them...that is what really sucks
 

ikuroi

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2006
Messages
478
Reaction score
75
Gender
Male
Country
Antarctica
To be frank, imo you need to spend more timein Japan... but hell 7 years is a lot. Anyways, you can find words in Japan and stuff that you prolly need to know if you gonna translate for a living. Don't just translate anime/manga if you are serious about it. Everything is a merit, as long as you translate japanese <-> english. good luck!
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
The best person(s) to ask would probably be Hisshouburaiken or njt.
 
Top