Recipes - Recipes Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Recipes Recipes Thread

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I know there are lots and lots of members here that loves to eat and even cook. So, why not post your favourite recipe(s) and let others know how do you like your favourite food to be prepared. Maybe you'll find other variation of your favourite dish that you might like. Or post a recipe for a food that brings back memories.

Here's how you can post your recipe(s):

Name of Dish: Place here what your recipe will make (i.e.: Fruit Cake, T-Bone Steak, Caesar Salad, etc.)
Category: Place Here type of Dish (i.e.: Soup, Dessert, Cake, Salad, Main Course, Snack, Drinks, etc.)
Style: Place here recipe origins (i.e.: Italian, French, Thai, Chinese, Klingon, Nth Dimension, etc.)
Servings: Mention how many servings will your recipe made (i.e.: 2-3 servings, 4-6 servings, the whole world, etc.)

Description: Tell us what your recipe is all about? Why is this your favourite food? Where do you learn to make it? Who taught you? What's does it taste like? When is it best to serve this recipe? Who shouldn't be eating it (i.e.: people with allergies, high blood pressure, heart condition, etc.)? Just tell us what you think about your favourite dish. :D

Ingredients: Place here all the goodies that goes into your recipe (i.e.: 5 eggs, 200 grams of flour, 1 kg of freshly chopped garlic, 3 eyes of newt, 2 dead bats, etc.)

Direction: Place here how to prepare your food/drinks (i.e.: Pour the entire contents into the pan and bake in the oven with 200 degrees for 20 minutes, Add onions and chilli to the frying pan and stir lightly with medium fire, If all fails, call for takeout, etc.)

Pictures: Did you just make something and wants to show everyone what it looks like? Post the recipe's and take a picture and place it here. Don't forget to put spoiler tag if you post large picture.

So, Cook/Bake/Mix away! :D

Thanks

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
Reaction score
Country
United States
yay~! I love baking ^^

I actually posted this recipe awhile back, in my ask me thread, I believe. Posting it here will get more attention, though ^^

Category: Dessert
Style: meh. Old family recipe
Servings: however many you want =D

It's a norweigen caramel cake (not really caramel though >.>) It's sweet and DELICIOUS! Especially when eaten warm <3 it's fairly simple to make, but it gets eaten really fast ;)

Norweigan Caramel Almond Cake

Cake:
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 cups of sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 eggs, room temperature
1 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup milk

In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. with mixer, in a seperate bowl beat eggs untill they are foamy, beat in sugar gradually, and beat the mixture until it is thick and pale. Beat in the butter, vanilla and milk, add the flour mixture from earlier, and beat the batter until it is just combined. Pour batter into a tube pan coated with cooking spray and bake the cake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees farenheit for 35-40 minutes. let the cake cool completely in the pan, then, flip the pan onto a plate and remove.

Topping:

1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into bits
2/3 cup of sugar
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted

In a skillet, combine the cream and sugar, cook over moderate heat stirring, until the sugar is dissolved and stir in the butter. bring to a boil, stirring it occaisonally, until it is slightly thickened, then add the almonds.

Put the cake on a baking sheet, spoon the topping over it, put the cake in the oven for a minute or two, or until the almonds are golden. Then let cool a bit and eat!!

I made that cake a few months ago. SOooooooo good <3 Especially when warm :3

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Whoaa! That cake looks yummy, LH! :drool

Name: Tom Yam
Category: Soup
Style: Thai
Servings: 2-3

Description:
I love seafood and spicy food. So what's better than putting all kinds of seafood into a big pot with fish stock and adding lots of spice in it? Be careful, it's a bit hot.

Ingredients:
* 40 gr mid-size prawns
* 200 gr squid cut in circles
* 150 gr square cut red snapper fillet
* 200 gr mussel, don't forget to wash them
* 75 gr mushroom, cut in halves
* 3 lemongrass, pounded
* 7 lime leaves
* 5 tbs fish sauce
* 5-10 red chilli or more, if you dare
* 1 tbs coriander leave finely chopped
* 2 tbs cooking oil
* 2 1/2 tbs salt
* 1 1/2 sugar
* 1500 ml seafood stock
* 5 tbs lime juice

Dont forget to blend these seasoning :
* 4 red chilli
* 3 cloves garlic
* 3 candlenut
* 1 tsp dried shrimp paste

Directions:
* Boil the seafood stock with lemongrass, lime leaves, prawns, squid, the snapper fillet, mussel, mushroom, salt, sugar on a small fire and leave until you can the flavour comes out.
* Stir fry the blended seasonings with the cooking oil until u can smell the flavour, add fish sauce then stir for a while and mix them in to the seafood stock for 15 mins or so.
* Before it's done, add coriander leave, red chilli and lime juice.
* Serve it hot and dont forget to send me... all of it! Mwahahahahahaha!

Picture:I never took any picture of my cookings since it's usually gets eaten after i make it. So here's one from the net

Is that tom yang goong (or whatever you spell it)? :nuts ~ Ayah

Yes it is, Ayah. :D -- Ichi

Goji

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
YaY, a cooking thread! ^^
What a great initiative!
I love cooking... now I just need to find a good recipe to post here...

*walks away trying to find a decent recipe*

ps: I'm getting hungry when I look at this thread, especially when I look at LadyH.'s delicious cake..... *drool* :p

*I'm back!*
Found a great one:

Name : Chocolate Mousse
Category : Dessert
Style : Belgian (I’m from the land of chocolate XD )
Servings: 4 to 6

Description:
I know lots of chocolate dishes and because I’m from Belgium I thought I may want to make something with chocolate. My mother can also make some heavenly chocolate mousse, so that’s maybe why I chose this one. ^^

Ingredients:
6 ounces (175 grams) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups (360 ml) heavy whipping cream
4 to 5 large eggs
1/3 cup (66 grams) granulated white sugar (or 2 packages of vanilla suger, if you like that one better)
1/4 cup (60 ml) water

Garnish:
Fresh Raspberries
Shaved Chocolate

Directions :

* Melt the chocolate with the water “au bain marie”° or on a very tender heating source.
°
”au bain marie” is a cooking term; you take a large cooking pot in which a smaller cooking pot can hang, fill the large one with water and the small one with the chocolate and the 60 ml of water. Now let the water in the big one come to the boil, that way the chocolate in the small one will melt without burning. Remember to keep stirring the chocolate!

* Whisk together the egg yolks with the sugar until well combined, then add the molten chocolate.

* Whip the whipping cream until it starts to look like whipped cream :eyeroll .

* Gently add the whipped cream to the sugar-yolk-chocolate-mixture.

* Then whip/ beat the egg whites to a snowy-foam and finally add also this with the other mixture.

* Once everything is mixed you have to stop mixing!!! Only mix as much as necessary, ‘cause “over-mixing” may cause the “mousse” to fail! (There has to be enough air in the mixture.)

* Finally you may pour the yummy chocolate mousse in their pre-destined bowls.

* Put them for at least one hour in the refrigerator before serving.

* Right before serving you can add the chocolate shavings and a raspberry if you like.

Now you’re totally done! Enjoy!!!

Picture:

I don't have one at the moment but I think we all know what to think when we hear the word chocolate mousse. :amuse

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
Reaction score
Country
United States
mmm, these recipes sound yummy :3

Here's another of my favorites:

Name of Dish: Modified Chicken Salad
Category: Main course
Style: American? XD I dunno
Servings: 6 or 7, about.

Description: This is a recipe for chicken that can be used as a sammich filling or on crackers. My mom taught me how to make it, since I don't like traditional chicken salad.

Ingredients:

1 can of shredded chicken (delicious <3)
slivered almonds
soy sauce
teriyaki sauce
bacon bits
mayonnaise

Direction: dump chicken into bowl, and use forks to pull apart chicken so it's shredded. Add about 3 or 4 large spoonfuls of mayonnaise (more if you prefer) and mix with fork until mixed. add bacon bits and almonds, mix. Add a teaspoon of teriyaki sauce and a teaspoon of soy sauce (again, more if you prefer). Spread on bread or crackers and enjoy <3

Pictures: none =( maybe later <3

rabb

Reaction score
Country
United States
and here i thought i was the only guy that cooked ^^; im glad there are other guys posting in here.

Name of Dish: Chocolate Drope Cookies
Category: Dessert
Style: well as far as i know cookies came from england :s but i have no idea where this recipe came from. its ban passed down four generations in my family, getting changed a little bit every year.
Servings: ~ 3 dozen (36)

Description: these are somthing my family associates largly with christmas, its the only time we make them. i learned this version of the recipe from my mom, who got it from her mom, from her mom. only two of my sisters cook them (out of 7 siblings). its kinda spicy, but not that bad. and as far as i know it isnt bad for anyone ^^; they're best with frosting, but i dont know the recipe for the kind my mom makes (i have to bug her for it next year)

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 cup brown sugar (240 ml)
1 tsp. vanilla (4.9 ml)
1/2 cup butter (120 ml)
2 squares unsweetened chocolate (56 grams, i think :s)
1/2 cup milk (120 ml)
1 1/2 cups flour (360 ml)
1 tsp. salt (4.9 ml)
2 tsp. cinnamon (9.8 ml)
1 tsp. nutmeg (4.9 ml)
1/2 tsp. cloves (2.5 ml)
a big mixing bowl

Direction: melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds or so. make sure its entirly melted. beat the egg & brown sugar until light, then add vanilla, then add to the butter/chocolate. Add the dry ingredients and milk one at a time while stirring. i strongly suggest adding the flour 1/2 cup at a time, and waiting until it is completly blended before adding more. this says use a greased cookiesheet, but i remember ever remember greasing it :s but maybe you should just to be careful. well anyways, drop then onto the cookiesheet. curl up your index finger, and look down at it. it should be about that big. change as you feel fit. bake @ 350 degress Fahrenheit (~177 degrees Celcius) for 8-10 mins)

i dont have any pictures, nor can i find any, but they should look similar to this. not as tall, though

Goji

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hmmm these things look very yummy indeed! <333 Now I want to eat chocolate cookies... lol
I also got to try the modified chicken salad sometime. :amuse

But what I really wanted to say is that I am happily surprised that out of four ppl that have posted here, three of them have been males! hehe
I think we have a lot of kitchen prince-gentlemen around here. XD

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Wow, that looks delicious. Must be salty and spicy, just how i like it. :D

Paper

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
^well it's not exactly spicy since the province that it originated from isn't really big on spicey food... i guess you could make it spicey if wanna...

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Eeermm.. a quick one. How about some desserts :D

Zucchini Pie
Servings for 4. Try it. This stuff is great :amuse

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups zucchini - peeled, seeded and sliced
* 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons white sugar
* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 2-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, diced
* 1/2 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

HOW TO

• [@]Boil zucchini until tender. Drain and let stand in cold water for about 5 minutes, then drain.
    [@]Add sugar, flour, cinnamon, cream of tartar, lemon juice, salt, and nutmeg. Mix well. Put into the pie crust. Dot with butter. Put top crust on.
    [@]3. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 40 to 50 minutes.

Paper

Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
^it sounds a bit odd (zucchini's never struck me as a dessert)...but hey! anything worth posting is most probobly worth trying! i'll rep once i've tried it :D thanks

Azurel

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Japan #2 (From Yakitate!! Japan)

Ingredients
350g of bread flour
21g of butter
21g of sugar
35ml of milk
180ml of water
5g of dry yeast
6.5g of salt

How to make Japan #2?
1. First add flour, sugar, salt, yeast dissolved in water, water and milk to rice cooker pot.
2. Mix it well and knead the ingredients
3. Then, add butter
4. Knead it some more until it no longer feels sticky
5. Leave it in a warm place for 1 hour to allow it to rise
6. Get rid of the extra gas
7. Place in the rice cooker for 1 hour
8. After 1 hour, turn it over and cook it again
9. After that, turn it over and cook it once again :amuse

And there you have it fluffy rice cooker bread! :smile-big

Paper

Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
@bax- i tired out that zucchini pie....it was good, but the fact that it's made out of a vegetable still bugs me....not bad though....:XD

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
I want to post pictures, but I don't have a working digital camera atm.

Dish: Tsatsiki - Delicious yogurt sauce, goes great with grilled meat, and fish, and on bread etc Name of Place here what your recipe will make (i.e.: Fruit Cake, T-Bone Steak, Caesar Salad, etc.)
Category: Place Here type of Dish (i.e.: Soup, Dessert, Cake, Salad, Main Course, Snack, Drinks, etc.)
Style: Greek
Servings: Uhh.. depends on how much you make/eat, 2-5 typically.
(Easy)
- 1 container of Goat milk yogurt (cow is fine, but goat is preferable)
- 1 Cucumber
- 2 Cloves of Garlic

Shred the cucumber using a cheese grater, don't use a mixer, it tastes better when it's grated, and the juice seperates; shred the garlic as well. Traditionally, you're supposed to discard the cucumber juice, and only use the pieces, but I like to mix in the juice first, and then the cucumber and garlic, that way the sauce gets extra kick (spice taste). Serve with pretty much anything.

Smoked Salmon Pizza (Medium - meh)
Category - Lunch/Dinner
Type - mediterranean (Do salmon even swim in that sea though?)
Servings - 1 (hungry) - 3

- Pizza Dough (homemade) I followed this recipe
- Tomato Sauce (also homemade)
- Pizza toppings of your choice (I used mixed peppers, some red, yellows and mushrooms
- Cream Cheese
- Smoked Salmon
- Parmesan cheese

Once the Dough was ready (took a couple of hours), I made a tomato sauce from some mushroom spaghetti (Ragu) tomato sauce. I added a little red wine, basil, paprika, water, oil and cooked for 5 minutes until it thickened a bit.

I spread the dough by hand, and I've never worked at a pizza place so I don't know how to make it New York thin, so it was a little thick (I like it bready anyway), I cooked the dough for about 30 minutes first (because if I put the topings on first, and they cook, the dough's inside remains uncooked and yucky, trial and error taught me this), the dough shouldn't get dark, just a little light light brown at 400F (200C). I took out the semi-cooked dough, and I added the tomato sauce, mushrooms and peppers, cooked that for 15 minutes? And then took it out again, and added the smoked salmon (ripped apart by hand), and cream cheese (left chunky), with some parm for about 10 more minutes, until the cheese got a little dark (see picture).

Now I'm not sure what I did (this was 3 years ago), but the salmon didn't get grey as it cooked. I've made smoked salmon pizza/pasta before and the salmon cooked and got grey, but this time it didn't, so I'm not sure how I pulled that off. Anyway, if you've made homemade pizza before you can adjust the times and temprature based on your own experience, final result is awesome, I've actually finished the pie by myself (twice X_x), most of the time, it serves 3, 2-3 slices each.

Lenten Pita (pie) of the Sea - Orthodox Christians fast from meat and dairies before easter, and I had to come up with a seafood pie for.. something my sister asked for. But, I have to be honest, everyone liked it, and it was really really good. (Ridiculously Overcomplicated? You bet! HARD)
Style - If you watch too much Food Network, and you're stressed because it's holiday season, and you have 2-3 recipes you've been playing around with, and your sister suddenly calls you up and asks you to prepare something, meanwhile you can't use HALF your kitchen because you're fasting... and its 4am because you were on the phone with your girlfriend all day, that's the style.
Category - Dinner
Servings - 5-6
Shrimp Soup (stock)

1 cup water

A dozen shrimp, 3-4 handfuls cut into two

2 Chopped scallions

4 Chopped baby carrots

A little Soy Sauce for color + taste

dill stock (knorr thing)

A dash of soymilk for taste/thickening/color

Oregano or other green spice of choice (Basil? Mint?)

Salt (surprisingly a little is ok) and Pepper

Boil water, add knorr stock of choice. Add carrots and scallions, once the water starts boiling again, add soy sauce and soymilk until you get a bit of color (don’t overdo it). Add Shrimp and boil until the color blends into a brownish tan color. It won’t be black, and it won’t be clear, it’ll turn into a French soupy color.

Drain Soup stock into a separate container, leave the other ingredients in the pot.

Stir Fry (oil and spice instead of buying a store flavor, that may be non-lenten)

Margarine (judge how much after you start frying, start with half a stick)

Minced Garlic (2-4)

1-2 Shallots

Half a dozen sliced Mushrooms

¼ or ½ (forgot how much it was, it was half of what the package comes in) Chopped up Crab-meat (mine was pre-chopped and super expensive) *Note, NOT immitation, real crab meat.

Some shrimp cut into two

A dozen Scallops

Sesame seeds (lots)

Salt/Pepper

Add margarine, toss in garlic, shallots and mushrooms. Add desireable salt/pepper onto chopped Crabmeat and Scallops, and then put them into the stir fry. Add a dash of soy sauce if you want, and place in the shrimp. Season with lots of sesame seeds, and if you did not use Soy sauce, more salt/pepper.

Filling

1 pkg silken(?) tofu

3-4 tblsp Oil (stir fry)

½ tbl soy sauce (if not in stir fry, check label)

2 tbl stock (from previously made soup soup)

½ a lemon’s juice (maybe whole, depends on final consistency)

*Dry Mashed potato flakes

*(Not essential or 100% necessary if you can’t use them, but I did and I liked the bit of potato flavor, they're a thickening agent.)

Put Tofu in a large bowl, add the lemon juice and mix/stir with a fork. Add in oil/soy, and stock. Mix well until it has once consistency. If it’s too loose, add some flour (use your better judgement), if it’s too firm add more lemon juice and if necessary some more soup stock.

Now, put a little less than half of the mix in the soup (dry ingredients) and mix with a spoon. If there isn’t enough, add a little of the stock until it gets a pie filling, pre-cooked) consistency.

Add the rest of the mixture into the stir-fry and mix with a spoon, add some soy milk if the mixture is not thick enough and add potato flakes, do some chemistry until you get the pie-filling consistency which is a little tighter than the soup consistency

Pie (finally)

Phillo dough thick

Phillo dough thin

Oil

Soy Milk

Sesame seeds

Oregano (or other green spice of choice)

Breadcrumbs

Preaheat 350

Get two small bowls, put a little oil in one, a little soymilk in the other. Start spreading 4 sheets of thick dough on the bottom of the pan, add one sheet of thin if necessary/want to. Brush some soymilk onto the top layer

Pour the stir fry mix into the pie and spread, cover it with half the philla’s corners. Add 2 thin sheets on top, and then one thick one, add 2 more thin sheets on top. Brush some soy milk onto top layer.

Pour in soup mix and spread it. Add a sheet of thin philo on top and brush with soy milk. Place another thin sheet on top carefully and continue adding 3-5 more sheets the regular way (with oil).

On the last (top) sheet brush with soymilk and pour breadcrumbs and oregano on top. If you want you can add a loose top layer, brush it with soy milk and pour sesame seeds on it.

Put into oven for 350 until it gets a good color, and when you put a knife in it, it comes out dry. Something around 45 min maybe?

You can enjoy/drink the rest of the soup stock, or save it for more soup/something else or toss it out.

I also make a REALLY really good burger... but I can't share the recipe, because.. I'm silly like that and burger recipes are meant to be kept secret, lest some jerk steal them and opens up a burger place.

Some 3 year old pictures of things I had made, when my dig camera DID work =/

Last edited:

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
ohmygoodness!!!!!!!! I LOVE tsatsiki!!!!! never knew how to make it though :XD

That lenten pita sounds really yummy too, but it would probably be a disaster if I tried making it. Thanks for sharing, refii!! :thumbs

I love how so many guys here know how to cook :love

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Yea it's surprisingly really simple ^^

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Thanks for posting that, refii! :D
Now, if you feel like sharing that burger recipe with me by PM, then i wont mind at all. :D
And don't worry, i worked in a burger store, so i wont be opening any burger chain with your recipe. Or maybe i would. :D

Lohnt

Reaction score
Country
Greece
I think it's like Sanji says though, the fresher and better the ingredients you start with, the better the result.
Which is also a shame, because when you have really great starting ingredients, it's better to eat them raw/fresh in a salad or at least not cooked (vegetables/fruit, not meat =p)

Oh, I also tried those fruit skewers he made in Skypeia (minus rat, snake and other vermin meat). I used scallops and shrimp, orange and lemon slices. It was good, I topped it with some juice from the lemon and orange and some pepper(love pepper)

If you ever get the chance, try fried plantains with salsa and melted cheese by the way, it's really good and surprisingly simple latin dish.

Last edited:

kaylee

mousou mashiin
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Best Oatmeal Raisin Cookies Ever

INGREDIENTS

• 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

METHOD
  • Cream together butter, shortening, and sugar in a bowl until fluffy.
  • Add eggs and beat until mixture is light in color.
  • Add buttermilk and vanilla.
  • Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice; stir into creamed mixture.
  • Fold in oatmeal, raisins, and walnuts, blending well.
  • Drop by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes @ 350 degrees F.
  • Drizzle with Brown Butter Icing.

Brown Butter Icing

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons water

METHOD
  • In a small saucepan heat the butter over medium heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
  • Remove saucepan from heat; stir in 3 cups sifted powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
  • Stir in enough water (3 to 4 tablespoons) to make an icing of drizzling consistency.
  • Drizzle on warm cookies.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Thanks for posting that one, kaylee. :D

I'm gonna stay at home this weekend since i got nothing on my non-existing agenda. Maybe i'll make something and post it here. :D

Last edited: