Discussion References in Manga/Anime

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
667
Reaction score
489
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Sunspear
I guess there's not much fans of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure here in MH (seeing that none mentioned it), but well, the author, Hirohiko Araki, made referencing to Western music (mainly Rock), art etc. to his manga a hobby. Like how he got the name Jojo from The Beatles' "Get Back" and name the main antagonist of the early parts Dio from Ronnie James Dio of Dio. This is a 25 year-old manga and still ongoing together with its references. I actually got exposed to more music because of reading this. The JJBA wikia did a great job on compiling all of the references from the start up to the latest chapters:
http://jjba.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_cultural_references_in_JoJo's_Bizarre_Adventure
 
Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,340
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I never read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure because it's sooooooooooooooooooooooo loooooooooooooooooooooooong, but reading about all those references to bands and musicians I worship, I feel like reading it now..

I mean, anyone who references a crapload of great bands and musicians couldn't possibly write a bad manga, right? Amirite?

I guess they could, but I'll still read this damn manga!!!! Some day...
 

MisaoFan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
41
Reaction score
10
Age
30
Gender
Female
Country
France
Here's mine :

In the episode 3 of the season of Qwaser of Stigmata, when Sasha is reading a book, the reference is here : he's reading a Japanese novel called No Longer Human, who was recently adapted into 4-episode TV anime as a part of Aoi Bungaku series compilation of six titles all based on Japanese novels.
In episode 16 of the same season, Lizzie is disguised as Saber in Fate/Stay Night while Sasha is disguised as a main heroine of Linebarrels of Iron (in the manga, he's disguised as a character of Mai-Hime).

In some episodes of Mayo Chiki!, there's a reference around a character named Mirai Suenaga (created by Danny Choo). In episode 13, posters of some TBS anime (Kampfer, Infinite Stratos, Yumekui Merry, Aria the Scarlet Ammo) are also shown.

In episode 6 of the second season of Tantei Opera Milky Holmes, there's a crossdresser version of the Golgo 13 titular character, not to mention with a Tsugiko disguised as Madoka Magica character (to be more precise, she is disguised as a sexy/altered version of Madoka Kaname's magical girl costume).
 
Top