Society Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

TechnoMagus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2007
Messages
1,970
Reaction score
27
Gender
Hidden
Country
Antarctica
Not a Muslim but I'm pre-empting them on this one.... :D

The city is Medina (Yathrib) where the Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon his name) fled from Mecca during troublesome times (civil war) for him and his followers during the early days of Islam. They also had cordial relations with the Jews living there but sadly, it turned sour afterwards.

That's where Islam also grew and served as its first "HQ" from its infancy until the Prophet (PBUHN) returned triumphantly to Mecca and cleansed it of its "infidel" environment and converted everyone to the Muslim faith.

Afterwards its importance is having the tomb of the Prophet (PBUHN) with importance second only to the Kaaba in Mecca and I think it is also closed off to non-Muslims as Mecca is.

I'm leaving the religious significance and other details that I missed/needs correction from the resident experts on the Muslim faith. :D
 

conan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
613
Reaction score
4
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
Not a Muslim but I'm pre-empting them on this one.... :D

The city is Medina (Yathrib) where the Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon his name) fled from Mecca during troublesome times (civil war) for him and his followers during the early days of Islam. They also had cordial relations with the Jews living there but sadly, it turned sour afterwards.

That's where Islam also grew and served as its first "HQ" from its infancy until the Prophet (PBUHN) returned triumphantly to Mecca and cleansed it of its "infidel" environment and converted everyone to the Muslim faith.

Afterwards its importance is having the tomb of the Prophet (PBUHN) with importance second only to the Kaaba in Mecca and I think it is also closed off to non-Muslims as Mecca is.

I'm leaving the religious significance and other details that I missed/needs correction from the resident experts on the Muslim faith. :D
couldnt have said it better my self, spot on techno magus.
 

morphodoll

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 12, 2007
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
can I ask something?

what do I need to do to reedem my fast cause you know that woman probs..and I didn't have enough time to fast last year? do i need to pay zakat or sumthin like that?
 

Azurel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
1,334
Reaction score
12
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
well, I think there's some confusion here but zakat fitrah which is done during ramadhan is mandatory for every muslim irregardless of whether they are able to fast or not.

If you were unable to fast due to 'that time of the month' during previous fasting month, then you can pay off your debt or qadha by fasting for the number of days you have missed. You can fast any time until 3 days before the start of the coming ramadhan which is in september.

It is not true that you can pay off your debt by paying zakat. That is only applicable to those who are ill and are unable to fast because it would worsen their condition. Only then, are they allow to feed a poor person each day for every day that they couldn't fast.

I hope that answers your question :)
 

morphodoll

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 12, 2007
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
no, what I mean is I didn't finish repaying my fast on time ...so, what I should do to repay it?
 

conan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Messages
613
Reaction score
4
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
no, what I mean is I didn't finish repaying my fast on time ...so, what I should do to repay it?
your question still isnt clear, please clarify it a bit more, but anyway, not everyone can answer a strict FIQH question like this, I'd advise you to ask a scholar and see what he says, but try clarifying the question first, and we'll see if anyone knows, maybe someone had similar problems and already knows what to do.
 

Azurel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
1,334
Reaction score
12
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
lemme try to understand it.. are you saying that you have some fasting debts from years ago that is still unpaid so you're asking how you can repay those debts?

well, I went through one of my fiqh books and it was mention that if you haven't repay your debts after the 2nd Ramadhan has started, you will have to repay it by fasting for the number of days that you have missed and in addition to that, give food to the poor for as many days that you have missed.
 

amar_kun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
816
Reaction score
22
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
i have a question for the muslims here.
Well, I know thats Mecca is the most important city/place of the muslims, And I also know that Jerusalem is the 3rd. So my question is, what is the 2nd most important, and are there more than just 1, 2, 3?
Thank you. =D

[ts] took the three seconds it required to look up the correct spelling of Mecca for the poster. [/ts]
Sorry for the late reply, coz i was quite busy for the past few weeks. Even though there is an adequate answer from Technomagus, i think i might try to answer this as well.

The second most important place for Muslims is the city of Medina or also known as Madinah al munawwarah (Madinah City of Light). Before migration of Prophet Muhammad, the place was called Yathrib. It is located 210 miles north of Makkah.

Since prophet Muhammad received his first revealation from angel Gabriel (Jibril), he preach Islam to people of Mecca for 13 years. During this time, Prophets and his companions received a lot of torture from the people of Makkah. Most of Makkah people did not accept Islam since Islam call to only one God, thus disproves all other gods which are worshipped by people of Makkah at that time.

During the 13 years, prophet Muhammad also sent some of his companion to preach to neighboring areas in order to find a suitable place for Islam to flourish. One of the companion, Mus'ab bin Umaiyr was sent to Yathrib and he was able to revert 2 chief of Yathrib tribe to embrace islam.

Ok, let me tell you about the condition of Yathrib before the era of Islam. There are 3 main tribe in Yathrib at that time, tribe of Aus, tribe of Khazraj (both of them are arabs) and the Jews (they are the merchant). Tribe of Aus and Khazraj was always fight together, and there is a story where they fought for generations just because of a camel. When islam came, both tribe make peace with each other and become brothers.

ok back to our main story. when this to chief embrace Islam, they wanted prophet Muhammad came to Yathrib and became their new leader. Despite all the torture the muslim received in Makkah, prophet Muhammad refuse this proposal because there is no revelation from God to move to Madinah. Besides, he love Makkah very much because this is his hometown since he was born.

However, 1 year after that Allah sent a revelation to prophet Muhammad and his companion to migrate to Madinah. He migrated with his best companion, Abu Bakr; this journey itself is very interesting and you may want to search this in the internet. this is called Hijrah.

When prophet arrived in Madinah, he was celebrated by the people of Madinah. The first thing he did was built was a mosque. Then he make people of Makkah who migrate (the muhajirin) and the people of Madinah (the Ansar) brothers. this is because when they move the Madinah, the people of Makkah bring nearly nothing with them. So the support from the Ansar is very crucial to them.

The prophet also wrote the first constitution in human civillization in Madinah and it is called 'Madinah Constitution'. In this constitution, he outlined the role of Muslim and non muslim (mostly Jews) in protecting city of Madinah. However, several years later, the Jews in madinah plotted a conspiracy with 10 000 enemy of Islam from all over Middle east. after the war, all jews in madinah was evicted out of the land because they broke their vow in the 'Madinah Constitution'.

To put in a nutshell :amuse, Madinah is the first place Islam flourish and gain its strength under the leadership of prophet Muhammad (10 years) and the 4 great companion (40 years). In just 100 year, islam was spread as far as to Spain (al andalus) to the west and to China to the east.

wallahua'lam (God knows best)
 

morphodoll

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 12, 2007
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Malaysia
lemme try to understand it.. are you saying that you have some fasting debts from years ago that is still unpaid so you're asking how you can repay those debts?

well, I went through one of my fiqh books and it was mention that if you haven't repay your debts after the 2nd Ramadhan has started, you will have to repay it by fasting for the number of days that you have missed and in addition to that, give food to the poor for as many days that you have missed.
yeah, that's what I meant...thanks!:D so, I need to give food to the poor? There's no other way?
 

Azurel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
1,334
Reaction score
12
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
well, that's all I know of. it would be better if you ask a scholar abt it though. :)
 

amar_kun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
816
Reaction score
22
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Assalamualaikum and peace be upon all of you!

I would like to Wish Ramadhan Mubarak and Happy Fasting to all muslims and other people who fast during this month. May Allah accepts our deeds during this holy month and our forgive our sins. Ameen :D
 

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Ah, yes. I wish the same to every Muslim at MH. And please accept my apologies should any typed word(s) might offend anyone. :D
 

Impel Down

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
3,077
Reaction score
3
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Sorry to interupt, but it's an entire month? I had always heard that it was a couple weeks. Huh. Am I confusing Ramadan's length with something else?
 

amar_kun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
816
Reaction score
22
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
islam has it own calendar, and ramadhan is the 9th month. it is a lunar calendar so it is slightly shorter than the gregorian calendar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_calendar

impel down, u are pregnant right now, right? people who are old, sick, travelling, or heavily pregnant are allowed not to fast during this month :). but they have to pay it back after the fasting month once they are well.
 
Last edited:

krazykone12

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2007
Messages
128
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well my dad told me Ramadan has started, I'm pretty sure I can do a month, and hello just joined this website not to long ago and happend to be muslim Ramadan Mubarak everyone
 

Impel Down

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
3,077
Reaction score
3
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
impel down, u are pregnant right now, right? people who are old, sick, travelling, or heavily pregnant are allowed not to fast during this month :). but they have to pay it back after the fasting month once they are well.
...I am a guy.
 

Optimist

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 5, 2006
Messages
158
Reaction score
14
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Ramadan mubarak everyone :D
 

amar_kun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
816
Reaction score
22
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
it is very recommended to make du'a (supplication, wish,) when you make ur iftar (break fast). so every muslim here pls make du'a to all other muslim in the world. ameen. :)
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
Well im a muslim so i thought i would pop in and say Ramadam Mubarak to everyone here:), and since this is a religious discussion thread i was also wondering if other religions have the same practice of fasting;)

impel down, u are pregnant right now, right? people who are old, sick, travelling, or heavily pregnant are allowed not to fast during this month . but they have to pay it back after the fasting month once they are well
....I am a guy.
i always knew Maiesiophilia would get you into awkward situations :rofl
 

kiddo7

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
931
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Austria
Well im a muslim so i thought i would pop in and say Ramadam Mubarak to everyone here:), and since this is a religious discussion thread i was also wondering if other religions have the same practice of fasting;)
Well I am pretty sure Jews fast too, though I do not know if they have a designated time of fasting, Catholics Fast during the week around easter. Also I think there are minor differences in the definition of fasting for all of the "big three" religions.
 
Top