Oh! A topic about religion~
First off, I'm too lazy to read everything that's been written ._. (For people who knows me a bit, they know I'm lazy XD).
Secondly, I know quite a bit. And if I may state something that you think isn't real, please check it out for yourself first. :|
Another thing is, as has been said, religion is a sensitive topic. And in most cases, it is not open for discussion. As a saying goes, "Oil does not mix with water" so is to the fact that most religion is intolerant of each other.
So I see the recent discussion was about religiously "contexted" literature and authors. For one, I completely agree with what xi0 said about art, but I do understand why people get angry when they think their "beliefs" are being wronged.
The Da Vinci Code is an interesting novel. It has a pseudo-realism to it that some may mistake as truth. Almost everything the book, or to be more precise, Dan Brown conjectures is to form false credibility. From how the first few lines one reads "that the contents of this books is...blah...as accurate as possible...and the figures and art...blah...are all real and historical correct...etc" exudes the |read| statement: BELIEVE! Of course, the book itself is nothing but gibberish from a historical, theological and factual point of view, but that doesn't apply to religion, does it?
That's the thing about religion, it has many "believers", but they stop there. They no longer delve into deeper understanding of their faith. So to speak, they "take what is given" and are "content with what they have" about their faith by those who claim they are knowledgeable and therefore in authority.
It, of course, is understandable for one to defend one's family as vehemently as possible when under attack, especially one that you cannot stop (you can't really do anything to a book that's published). This is made so much more for those whose very core is defined by their beliefs, true believers.
As already been stated, mutually exclusive views of an event, may or may not be complimentary, so to speak.
Forgive me for saying such, but the adaptability of beliefs do not exist. When on believes in everything, and reject nothing, one does not have belief at all. A belief is something that is contradicting the actual circumstance or the evidence of such that are supporting the very opposite. Another thing is that belief is based on something concrete, it SHOULD not change. If you believe something is, then whether or not it is proven not to be, or something more appealing--a good compromise-- comes along, your belief is and should ever be the same. Moreover, when one just think "If I believe the chicken came before the egg," then by matter of logic deduce that "the egg came after the chicken", then one commits something uncharacteristic of your belief. As beliefs are something "baseless" and needs no reasoning, then the reasoning one uses to justify whether or not something is complimentary or to quote I.Robot "does not belong" is total folly.
Now, onto a more sensitive issue about whether or not the person, Rushdie, deserves beheading by Muslim Law. The answer is, as your holy book explicitly states: anything that goes against Islam, should be destroyed, yes. Play by words or meaning, anything that even hints filth on the faith should be eradicated. Much in the same way that the book says kill all infidels if they refuse to convert to the faith. Based on historical facts, an infidel is someone who simply refuses to believe in Islam, so how much more is it for someone who denounces it, even if only by conjecture...
There are many other aspects of religion central to this topic, but the point I wish to make is that:
Belief leaves no room for doubt.
Now

I think I may have sounded a bit critical to Islam, but hey, it was on topic. Though I do not mean to offend anyone.
There's so much more things to talk about... historically, factually, dogma, teachings, inconsistencies...etc. about religion.
Although, much of the talk is about the 3 central monotheistic religions on Earth: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
Comments?
An interesting question would be:
"Is manga against your faith?"