Remnant

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I have a story idea stuck in my head so I decided to write it down before I forget. It's going to either a novella or a novelette (I don't know how long it will be, but it will definitely be more than 20 pages).

This will be updated sporadically since I will working on it whenever I have writer's block working on The Lashival Trilogy. :amuse




Remnant - Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3
Synopsis: An Aldair clan searched for a new home amidst dangers.

Terms & Clan Names
Aldair (oul-DAIR) - Human beings with beast-like qualities. Several of these beings formed clans based on said features.

Mesequioa Clan (mes-sey-KWOI-ah) - A clan of Aldair with bovine qualities. They have hooves and horns. It got its name due to the fact that the clan members have white horns.
Mascus Clan (mas-KUHZ) - An Aldair clan who are pursuing the Mesquioa clan for reasons unknown.
Ta Frue Clan (TAY FROO) – An Aldair clan with avian features and consists of only females. Known for their beauty and prowess, they have human bodies as well as wings that stretch from their shoulders to their wrists and talons.

Characters:
Ilek (AHY-lek) - An Aldair from the Mesequioa clan. He acts as Thyata's confidant. The story is told from his POV.
Thyata (THEE-uh-tah)- The young and inexperienced chieftain of the Mesequioa clan.
Sensia (sen-SEE-ah) - The patron goddess of the Mesequioa clan.

Fosar (foh-ZAHR) - The late chieftain of the Mesquioa clan and Thyata's father
Jacfar (JAK-fahr) - An experienced Aldair warrior from the Mesquioa clan.
Muusa (MOO-sah) - A young Aldair from the Mesquioa clan
Ryzar (rah-ZAHR) - An experienced Aldair warrior from the Mesquioa clan.
Sair (SAIR) - A Mesequioa clan elder who acts as Thyata's advisor.
Solux (SOH-luhks) - A hot-headed Aldair warrior from the Mesquioa clan.
Vorzar (VAWR-zahr) - An experienced Aldair warrior from the Mesquioa clan.
Tulook (too-LOOK) - An experienced Aldair warrior from the Mesquioa clan.
Tusin (too-SUHN) - An experienced Aldair warrior from the Mesquioa clan.

Xylea (ZAHY-lee-ah) – The chieftain of the Ta Frue clan.
Asurhe (as-uhr-HEE) – The patron goddess of the Ta Frue clan. It is said that the clan chieftain can hear her voice in the wind.

Atlas
Versina (ver-SIN-ah) – A fabled paradise that exists beyond the desert
 
Last edited:

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Remnant - Part I

“Ilek! Ilek, wake up!”

I woke up from my slumber and sat up on my bed immediately. The urgency in my “guest’s” voice, would suggest this to be an important matter. I stared at him, but all I saw was his silhouette. He seemed to be a tall boy, but it was hard to tell. “What is it? It must be important that you have to wake me up from my sleep.”

“A meeting in the chieftain’s hut. I was sent to get you,” was his reply.

A meeting this late? It must not be good. Without any hesitation, I got out of bed to get dressed. Unfortunately, it’s hard to get dressed when you’re in complete darkness. I suppose I could have waited until my eyes adjusted, but it was an emergency after all. Instead, I stretched my arms out to feel where I was going and cursed underneath my breath whenever my hooves banged against something hard or tripped over something. That wasn’t the most irritating part, however; it was the fact that my visitor just stood at the entrance and watched.

Finally, I said aloud so he could hear, “Would you please light up a lantern?” My voice was gruffer than it should have been, but then I was in a bad mood. I heard the shuffling of feet and soon light filled the air. As soon as I saw who my guest was, I felt terrible. A boy… no more than eleven years of age stared back at me with wide amber eyes. Unlike my horns which were as tall as my arms, his were just tiny stubs.

For members of my tribe, our horns are our pride and joy since it’s a symbol of our Aldair’s heritage. You must be wondering what an Aldair is so allow me to explain. Aldairs are human beings with beastly features. Some of us have reptilian characteristics such as scales while others have manes like a lion’s. We Aldairs also formed clans based on our appearances. Each clan has a patron god or goddess whom we pray to for guidance and protection. My tribe is called Mesequioa, which means “white horns” and we worship Sensia as our goddess. My people and I are known for our bovine features: horns and hooves instead of feet. It is said that our horns represent our physical strength; the longer they are, the stronger the person is.

Feeling ashamed of my actions, I could only muster, “Thank you.” The boy just nodded. Silence filled the room as I finished dressing while he held the lantern for me. Walking toward the door, I grabbed my spear, which pole was gnarled but its point still sharp. It used to belong to my father and his father and so forth. I stopped at the door and turned to the boy.

“What is your name, child?”

“Muusa, sir.”

Tilting my head toward the exit, I replied, “Well then, Muusa, lead the way.”

By the time I arrived at my destination, a crowd was already there. It seemed that word about the sudden meeting had spread like wildfire. After thanking my guide, I pushed my way through the horde. I could hear them mutter to each other as they wondered what was going on. I don’t blame them; I was curious as well. When I finally reached the meeting place, I heard a familiar voice shouted at me even before I went through the door.

“Why isn’t it Ilek? We were wondering whether or not you’d show up. At first we thought you overslept or got lost in the crowd,” Tusin teased. All of the warriors and elders sat or stand in a semi-circle with the chief in the middle. Behind the chief was the wooden statue of Sensia; her serene face looked down on us. There was a saying among the Aldair clans, that a clan has no identity if they don’t have a statue of their god with them.

I smiled at my friend. “I may be late, but I don’t look the fool like you. You look ridiculous with your mix-matched clothes. How can anyone take you so seriously?”

He let out a boisterous laugh as he looked down at his clothes. “That is true, old friend. Maybe I can scare our enemy with my horrible fashion sense.”

Everyone at the meeting chuckled though it quickly died down. Even though all of us seemed relaxed, the tension in the air could be cut with a knife; that’s how apprehensive we were.

Finally, Siar the elder cleared her throat and began the meeting. “The scouts had come back and informed the chieftain and me that the Mascus clan is approaching the camp,” she said gravely.

As soon as we heard the news, we began to grumble. Just as we were about to settle down in our new homes for the sixth time, this happened! “They’re after us again!?” Tulook muttered angrily as he pounded his fists against the table, causing everything to fly into the air. “What more do they want from us? They have already taken all of our lands and killed several of our clansmen.”

“They probably want all of us dead,” Jacfar replied. “Why else would they pursue us still?”

“They should know the laws of our people and leave us be. Doesn’t it state that once a clan takes over another clan’s land, they would allow the exiled one to go freely so that they could find another land to call home? What they’re doing is unbecoming of an Aldair clan!” Ryzar said, shaking his head. The bells on his horns jingled and his shaggy black hair moved like waves when he did that.

Among the Aldair clans, we have specific customs. Because our kind is very territorial, we tend to fight each other to the death for land. The victors would win the land while the defeated were sent into exile so they search for a new place to call home. That was what happened to my tribe. The Mascus clan defeated us and thus, claimed our home as theirs. However, instead of letting the survivors to go free, they have pursued us for reasons unknown.

“Maybe they do know, but they don’t care,” Vorzar pointed out. “Remember how we sent messengers to negotiate peace with them and how they returned them back with their throats slit? No, they are too intent on wiping us off from the face of the earth!”

Everyone began muttering to themselves at that accusation. Breaking the Aldair’s laws was one thing, but an outright genocide was another. “Sensia help us! What should we do?” a young Aldair whose name I did not know asked.

Another young Aldair stood up and shouted defiantly, “What else? Fight of course!”

I stiffened when I recognized who the speaker was. Even though he was considered one of the best rising warriors of the clan, Solux was a foolish young man who only thought of glory and prided himself for his strength. The more experienced warriors and I had tried to teach him to be more humble, but he refused to listen. He would sneer at us and claim that we had gotten soft due to our age. Unfortunately, due to his confidence and charisma, all of the other young folks flocked to him.

Tusin looked at him derisively. “And pray tell us how are we going to do that with so little men that we have? Compare to their hundreds, we have barely sixty warriors among us. Some of whom including yourself never seen battle before might I add.”

As usual, Solux sneered at him. “Where is your honor, old man? Perhaps you lost it during the battle for our homeland. But then you probably lost it already since you came alive instead of dying in battle. You and everyone here who fought had brought dishonor to this tribe!”

Another of our customs is that warriors were raised to believe that dying in battle is considered an honor. If one died in a fight, then he would bring honor to his family and tribe. However, if one manages to survive even if he is seriously injured, he would be considered a disgrace that brought shame to his people. You may see this as strange, but that is how it is for the Aldair.

Tusin’s nose flared out in anger as he started to stand up to confront the arrogant fool, but I held my hand out to prevent him. Now wasn’t the time to cause a fight. My friend saw the stern look on my face and knew what I was implying so he sat down again though he still looked peeved. In fact, everyone else except for Solux and his followers looked irritated. I don’t blame them; even I was miffed by his insinuations. Solux always said things without thinking of the consequences. I grasped my spear tightly as I wondered whether or not a fight would break out. The tension in the air had become unbearable. I felt like it was seizing me by the throat and threatening to throttle me.

Fortunately, Siar brought the meeting back in order by banging her staff against the ground repeatedly until everyone turned to look at her. “While we may consider your offer, Solux, the chief will be the one who makes the final decision,” she intoned dryly and turned to our chief. “What do you think we should do, Thyata?”

All of us turned our attention to our leader, who sat quietly the entire time. Thyata only had become chief recently due to the sudden death of her father, Fosar, who died in an ambush by the Mascus clan. Even though she hadn’t spoken a word at all, I could tell that she was following our conversation. Her green eyes were alert and thoughtful though the expression on her face was stoic. An aura filled with determination surrounded her. In spite of her youth and inexperience, I had a feeling that she would be a strong leader for our people.

At first she didn’t say anything as she looked each and every one of us. Her eyes seemed to pierce into our very souls that some shied away from her glance. Finally she turned to Siar and asked softly, “How long until the Mascus clan arrive here?”

“The scouts estimate that they will be here around dawn,” she replied.

Dawn? That’s only three hours from now! We mumbled to ourselves at that revelation and became agitated once again. On the other hand, our chief was still calm and composed. “I see,” she said and turned her attention toward us. “Inform everyone to make haste and pack up their belongings. We’re going to set out to the desert immediately. Anyone who lags will be left behind. Understood?”

All of us nodded. Well except for Solux. “So we are fleeing again in the middle of the night!?” he snorted. He stood up angrily and pointed his hand at us. “Look at us! We are exhausted due to a lack of sleep! Some of the women and children can barely keep awake. Why don’t we make a stand and fight the Mascus clan here?”

What he said was true. All of us had rings around our eyes and were too tired to stay awake and alert. I noticed one or two people trying their best to stifle their yawns. A few of our clan members had become ill due to fatigue. In fact, we barely had made any progress in our journey because we were too exhausted to travel.

“As Tusin mentioned before, we don’t have enough men to fight against them. Besides it would be pointless to wage war against the Mascus clan. Even if we manage to defeat them here, they will continue to hunt down,” she explained.

“We might as well try. Even if we did die, we will receive honor in our deaths. Or perhaps you are too cowardly to risk your own life. You are nothing like your father. Fosar was a brave man who died in battle and received honor because of it. Don’t you wish to achieve that as well?” he challenged.

I was livid at Solux’s accusation. The nerve of that man! Insulting our chief and implying that she has no honor! I stood up angrily and shouted at him, not aware that others had done the same. Our screaming match must have been so loud because the people outside of tent were being to stir. What’s going on in there? They probably wondered.

It would have escalated, but Thyata brought order to the meeting again. “SILENCE!” she shouted; her voice was heard over the din. We stopped what we were doing and looked up at her. Her eyes were now full of icy fire, which could stop the heart cold. We immediately obliged since we knew that she was furious though her appearance remained the same. As soon as everyone was quiet, she spoke again.

Staring at Solux coldly, she continued, “What you want is different from what my father did. While my father fought to defend our home, you only wish to fight for selfish reasons. You’re supposed to fight for your clan, not for yourself! And you wish to preach to me about honor? You don’t know anything about honor! Fighting alone doesn’t bring honor to a clan. You of all people should’ve learnt so during your training. Do you understand? I won’t send my people to be slaughtered!”

He didn’t say anything but stormed off in a huff with his posse. I couldn’t help but smile with pride. Unlike other young women, she wasn’t swayed by his charms. Her father had taught her well. She took a deep breath and looked at those who remained in the tent still. “All of you are dismissed,” she said; her voice was calm again. “Please inform the others that we are leaving in half an hour. Until then.”

We bowed our heads and in turn, took our leave. While everyone else hurried out of the tent, I lingered for a moment. I glanced at Thyata, who breathed a sigh of relief and stood up from her chair. Her body seemed to be more relaxed as if a huge weight was lifted from her shoulders. At first she wasn’t aware that I was still around, but she jumped slightly when she saw me. “You better pack up, Ilek. Otherwise you will be left behind,” she chided with a gentle smile.

I nodded and exited her adobe. However I noticed the look she was giving me. It was the same look ever since she was young. She was troubled about something and wished to confide in me. As I prepared my belongings, I made a mental note to see her before we set off.

I hurriedly walked back to my hut and began packing. It wasn’t much really. I just needed to roll up my blanket and place my belongings in my pack. My packing was haphazard, but as long as I got everything, I didn’t care. As for my furniture, I left them behind; I could always have new ones made. When I finished, I did a quick inspection just to make sure I didn’t forget anything. Satisfied, I grabbed my tent, which I used for traveling, underneath my cot and walked out of my hut. I then stacked my shelter on a wagon alongside with several others. After I loaded my tent onto the wagon, I headed back to see the chieftain.

Along the way, I encountered Solux and his friends. A swarm of admirers had gathered around him as they listened attentively to every word he said. As I came closer, I could hear what he was talking about. “Then I told the chief that if she wasn’t so brave to fight the Mascus clan, then perhaps she shouldn’t lead at all. That was when I stormed off,” he boasted while the others mumbled with support.

I was tempted to refute his version of event, but I knew it was pointless. The young ones cling to every word he said and would tune me out anyway. Instead I just rolled my eyes and kept on walking. Unfortunately, he saw me passed by him because he shouted, “Knowing the chief’s late father, he would have fought. Isn’t that right, Ilek?”

I halted and looked back. Solux wore a smug look on his face. Most likely he only asked me because he was hoping that I would agree with him especially since I knew Fosar since childhood. At the same time, his admirers waited eagerly for my reply. It disgusted me how gullible they were. I shook my head and answered, “No, he would not. I know Fosar and he isn’t the type who would risk his people’s life for a small chance of glory.”

Then I turned around on my heel and walked away, leaving a stunned but clearly vivid Solux in my wake while his followers looked at him, bewildered. They didn’t expect that response, that’s for certain. As I walked away, I felt rather satisfied. I knew that I shouldn’t feel that way, but humiliating Solux in front of everyone was enjoyable. Feeling more jovial, I arrived at the chief’s place and knocked on the door. “Thyata, it’s me!” I called to let her know that I was there. I heard her telling me to come in, which I did.

As I entered, I saw that she has already packed up everything needed for the arduous journey, but leaving the furniture behind. I noticed that the statue of Sensia was already gone. Thyata must have had the men pack it away already. The chief was staring at the empty space where the statue was; her back was facing me.

Before I could even take one step, she asked softly, “Did I make the right choice?”

“You did,” I reassured her as I walked over to her and gave her a comforting squeeze on her shoulders. “Sensia gave you guidance on what to do, did she not?”

The Mesequioa clan held a belief that the chief and his or her family were direct descendants of our goddess. Thus they were able to hear the goddess’s voice. “I think I did, but…” She hesitated and turned around to look at me. Her face was anxious and her eyes were full of doubt. “What if I was mistaken? What if I didn’t hear Sensia’s voice but my own fears? What if Solux is right and we should make a stand? He was right about everyone’s being wearied of being uprooted from their homes again. I have heard grumbling among the people asking why we don’t fight. They questioned my leadership and wondered if I am too young to lead. What if they are right?”

So that was bothering her. She was fully aware of what everyone especially her peers were saying about her. I had to remind myself that she was only fourteen years old; at that age, she still would want to be accepted by her peers. After all, I was like that when I was her age. Not to mention she was thrust into becoming leader of our clan without any warning. She must feel overwhelmed by the sudden responsibility of our people’s well-being. Sympathizing with her, I placed my hands on shoulders and reminded her, “Remember what your father said? Where do you hear Sensia’s words?”

She thought for a moment before she answered, “He said that you can hear her voice in your heart.”

“Do you hear her voice in your heart then?” I asked. She nodded slowly. “And what does she say?”
My chief took a deep breath. “She said that we should continue the search for our new home.”

I smiled. “If Sensia told you so, then that’s what we should do. Don’t worry too much of what the others said. They don’t understand the pressure that you’re going through. You’re going to be a great leader like your father.”

“And Solux? He’s already gotten a swarm of supporters who follow him.”

I hesitated. What she was saying was true. One more move could cause more people to rebel and follow Solux instead of her, which could mean an uprising. “The other elders and I will handle him. I’m sure we can think of something. You worry about leading our people to safety while we take care of him,” I assured her, patting her shoulder. She looked at me gratefully and nodded.

“Thank you, Ilek,” she said appreciatively. “Anyway, I need to see Siar for the final preparations. I’m sure that you have things to do as well, and I already took plenty of your time.”

“It’s all right,” I replied and bowed my head. “Remember if you want to talk, I’ll be here.”

“Of course you will. I know that I can depend on you,” she said softly. I nodded and turned to leave. Before I exited the hut, I looked back one last time. Thyata was staring at the empty space again, but this time, she seemed more reassured. Her shoulders weren’t hunched, and she stood up with self-confidence. Smiling, I left and closed the door behind me so she could be alone with her thoughts.
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Remnant - Part II

As I walked down the path, I thought about what I promised my chief. How could I reign in Solux? He was stubborn as a mule and arrogant. He doesn’t listen to reason even if he tried. Not to mention he have several followers among the young people in our tribe. If one of the elders or I dared to admonish him in front of everyone, they would perceive that we are punishing him or just jealous of his popularity. No, we have to do it another way. I sighed. Maybe Tusin would know.

Just then, out of the corner of my eyes, I noticed Muusa was trying to tag along Solux and his gang. However, they just ignored him in spite of his attempts to catch their attention by showing off his spear skills. After a few minutes, they must have gotten tired of him because one of Solux’s friends told the young Aldair to get lost and chased him away. The poor boy could only watch as his idol and his friends walked away and laughed at him.

Pitying him, I walked over and asked, “What’s the matter, Muusa?”

Startled, he turned around to face me. His face burned a bright red once he realized that I saw the whole thing. “I-i-it’s nothing, sir,” he stammered.

“I see.” I pointed at his spear. Even though there were a few scratches here and there, the point was still sharp as ever. “That’s a nice spear you got there. Is it yours?”

He nodded and handed it to me so I could have a closer look at it. “It used to belong to my father, but it’s mine now,” he explained. A hint of pride was in his voice.

“Where is your father?” I asked curiously.

His expression deflated as he whispered, “He died fighting the Mascus clan, sir. It’s only my mother and me now.”

“I’m sorry for your loss, child,” I sympathized as I handed him back his weapon. “Your father died with honor, and I’m sure he would be proud to know that you have kept his weapon in excellent condition. Was he the one who taught you how to use the spear? He did a great job of teaching you, if that’s the case.

Muusa nodded again. “Yes sir, he did,” he confirmed. “But I know that I need to improve my skills. I was hoping Solux would help me, but…”

So that’s why he was trying to get Solux’s attention! Since he didn’t have a male figure in his life to show him how to fight, he was looking for someone to teach him. An idea sprung in my head. “Why don’t I teach you?” I offered. His mouth dropped, but I continued, “I know a few things about using a spear, and it would be nice to pass it down to future generation. Besides, it’s going to be a long, tedious journey so a little lesson now and then would make things livelier and keep me up on my toes. So what do you say?”

The boy’s eyes widened. “Are you sure?” he asked in disbelief. “Then I accept, of course! Thank you, sir!”

“Just call me Ilek; you don’t have to be formal with me,” I chided. “Do you know anyone else who want to learn how to fight?”

“Yes, si- I mean, Ilek. A couple of my friends, but I’m sure that there are others,” he replied excitedly.

“Good! Tell them that the other elders and I are going to offer lessons. If they are interested, tell them to see us.”

“I will!” he promised as he ran off. I had to smile as I watched him disappeared amidst the now-empty huts. I could imagine him telling the other youngsters about my offer with an animated look in his eyes. I was sure that I would have several young Aldairs asking to be trained so I better give the others the heads-up before they get surprised. As I went to tell the other elders of my plan, I thought to myself that I had now figured out how to undermine Solux’s influence without drawing attention to what I was doing.

The journey began without a hitch. Everyone including Solux and his admirers (surprisingly) walked without making a peep. But then my colleagues and I made sure to separate them so that’s probably why. We had placed him in the middle of the pack where he wouldn’t cause too much trouble. If he was in the front, he might cause a scene with Thyata while if he was guarding the rear, he might organize a raid and sneak out to challenge the Mascus Clan. Tusin readily agreed to help him guard the middle though he’s really there to keep an eye on him. To be honest, I think he volunteer because he was still miffed by Solux’s accusation, but I didn’t say anything. I didn’t want to be the one keeping an eye on that insufferable brat.

I guarded the rear with three other men. However, it was very quiet so the watch was very boring. Not that I mind since it meant that the enemy wasn’t close by. Instead my colleagues and I made sure that there weren’t any stragglers and provided any help to those who were slowing down. During the time, I tried to look ahead to see how everyone was doing. I could barely made out Thyata having a quiet discussion with Sair. I didn’t know what they were discussing, but it was most likely about the best route to take since they kept pointing one way or another. On the other hand, Tusin seemed to have fun bossing Solux around. He would criticize the young Aldair for being too slow to help an elderly Aldair or for not keeping a close eye on his surroundings. Based on the tone of his voice, Tusin was enjoying himself. I almost pitied Solux. Almost.

We continued our travel until midday when Thyata decided to take a break. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief as they sat down to rest. While most of the children and elders slept, everyone else got busy. The women went out to search for edible plants or kept watch over the children. Some of the men hunt for food while others sharpened their weapons or patrolled the area. The rest just relaxed and watched as a few of the remaining warriors practiced.

As for me? Well, I was teaching. Just as I anticipated, Muusa and several of the younglings had requested to train under the older warriors and me, which we gladly granted. Each of us took in a group of four or five Aldairs based on the weapons they’re interested in learning. Besides Muusa, I had three other young boys to instruct. They watched attentively as I demonstrated how to swing the spear effectively or the best way to defend. Then I watched as they practiced, stopping every now and then to correct any mistakes. During that time, their mothers especially Muusa’s watched with approval; I believed she was glad that her son had a good male role model to follow. I also noticed Thyata watching from the corner of my eyes. When I turned to look at her, she just smiled and headed back inside her tent. As for Solux, he and his men watched for a little bit but mostly ignored us. Most likely he was glad that the children and those whom he deemed unworthy were bothering us not him.

We trained until everyone was fully rested and ready to travel again. Then we began our journey once again; stopping only for a quick rest or to eat. During that time, I would continue my routine and train my students if I wasn’t on patrol. When I was guarding the camp, Muusa and the others didn’t let that stop them. As I walked around the area, I could see them practicing their newly learned spear skills with each other or providing help to anyone who was struggling. Smiling inwardly, I felt proud of their self-discipline and determination. I remembered thinking that those younglings were going to be great warriors one day.

For several weeks, we didn’t face any clear and present danger until we almost reached the edge of the desert. As soon as we reached a thick forest, Thyata motioned everyone to halt. “What’s wrong, Chief?” one of the women asked worriedly as she cradled her baby in her arms.

She motioned to the markings carved on the gnarly, old tree. “We’re about to enter the territory of the Ta Frue Clan,” she replied.

Everyone immediately stirred. The Ta Frue Clan was a woman-only clan, which was known throughout the land for their beauty. Colorful feathers covered their arms, which they used as wings, and shoulders. Unlike those in my clan, they have talons instead of hooves. However, one shouldn’t underestimate them for they were also known for their prowess. It was rumored that the Aldairs in their clan learned how to fight as soon as they could walk. They had easily beaten several Aldair clans who dared attempt to seize their home. Not only were they strong, they were also agile. They would swoop from the air and grabbed the enemy by the shoulders. Then, after they flew a hundred meters in the air, they would drop him to his death. These Aldairs were beautiful but dangerous. If any Aldair encounters them, he should hope that they are friends, not foes.

“We’re about to enter the Ta Frue Clan’s land!?” Ryzar said in disbelief. “Why did you bring us here of all places?”

Thyata bowed her head apologetically. “Unfortunately I have no choice. In order to enter the desert, we need to go through their land.”

“Bah! Instead of going into that godforsaken desert, why don’t we attempt to seize their land and claim it as ours?” Solux demanded. Several of his posse shouted out their support as they raised their weapons and hands in the air. However, no one else joined in; they were smart to know who they were dealing with.

Tusin glowered at the hot-headed young man. “Might I remind you of who the Ta Frue clan is? They are notorious for being ruthless warriors and would make sure there will be no survivors in the battlefield. If you want to risk your life, go ahead, but don’t you dare endanger everyone else’s.”

Solux’s face turned a deep red, but thankfully he kept his mouth closed. He knew what Tusin said rang true. Instead he pouted and stared angrily at the ground. Thyata watched the exchange without showing any emotions before she addressed the crowd, “We will attempt to travel through their land without drawing their attention. If everything works out, we’ll be in the desert before being caught.”

“And if it doesn’t?” Sunjan asked.

She took a deep breath. “Then I would remind their leader, Chieftain Xylea, of the truce she made with my father.”

Even though the Aldair clans fight among ourselves, we sometimes have agreements with each other in which we promised not to fight each other or exchanged goods with each other. This is mostly used to help protect weaker Aldair clans from being decimated. Other times, it was used to show a sign of friendship.

Sair cleared her throat. “That sounds reasonable, Chieftain, but she signed an agreement with your father, not you. She may not listen to you since the truce ended with your father’s death.”

“Then I will ask her for a sign of friendship with me,” she replied with confidence. However, I detected a small hint of worry based on her body language; she shifted her feet slightly as she spoke. I looked around to see if anyone else noticed it, but it seemed like I was the only one who did.

“And if she refuses?”

The chieftain closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Opening her eyes, Thyata looked around at her people before answering with a soft voice, “Then I led my people to their death.”

For the next few days, we traveled through the Ta Frue Clan’s land without any incident. Nevertheless I felt like we were being watched and looked around the dense forest though I never saw anyone there. The others must be aware of a presence as well since many glanced this way and that way as they clutched their belongings nervously. It didn’t help that there was an eerie silence in the air, and that the only sounds were our steps and chirping insects. Despite of Thyata’s reassurance, we knew that the Ta Frue Clan was aware of our trespassing.

Our assumption was confirmed soon enough. We were passing through a section of the forest which had a large ledge protruding out above us when suddenly a javelin was thrown at us, landing near Thyata’s feet. A woman’s voice then called out, “I felt the west wind called to me a few days ago. It was a warning from Asurhe that I have uninvited guests in my land, and I see that she was right.”

Startled, everyone looked up to see the bird-like women staring down at us and realized what it meant – the Ta Frue Clan had come to confront us. Immediately everyone gathered together into a circle; the women, children, and elderly inside while the men surrounded them with their weapons drawn. We were prepared for battle even if it was a losing one.

I looked at those harpies and gulped. They wore bronze armor, protecting their bodies and arms, and helmets while split skirts covered their lower bodies. Wings made of reddish orange feathers expanded from their shoulders to their wrists. Variety of throwing weapons glistened in their hands. They definitely outnumbered us so there was no way to escape. Even if some of us managed, there was no place for us to hide. This is their territory after all so they would know this place by heart. While I was pondering how we were going to survive this, I felt someone tapped my shoulder and turned to see who it was. Thyata looked at me with a calm look in her eyes and whispered, “Let me go and talk to them.”

I wanted to object, informing her that as chieftain, her safety is top priority, but something told me that it would be all right. Nodding, I moved aside while ignoring my colleagues’ incredulous stares and let her step out in the open. The Ta Frue Clan stared down at her warily as she slowly approached them. Stopping a few steps away from them, Thyata said, “I wish to speak to the leader of this clan.”

One of the women soon stepped forward. Xylea was taller than her peers and had a confident air around her. Her deep blue skirt fluttered in the breeze while her armor shone in the sun. White feathers adorned her short, amber hair. “I am the chieftain of this clan,” she spoke in a voice that commanded respect and fear. She looked at our chief with a haughty air. “And I assume you must be chief of this clan.”

Thyata nodded. “I am,” she began. “I am Thyata, the leader of the Mesequioa Clan.”

“Then you should be aware of our customs in spite of your age. Your late father should have taught you them,” Xylea sniffed disdainfully.

Our chieftain bowed her head apologetically. “I am sorry for the transgression, but I mean no harm. I wish to lead my clan to our new home, but in order to get there; we need to cross through your territory.”

“The only thing past here is the desert, and I don’t think your clan can survive there unless you are really one of the reptilian clans in disguise,” the harpy retorted. Her eyes widened suddenly as if she thought of something, and she gaped incredulously, “Surely you don’t intend to move your clan to Versina! That land is just a myth. Don’t tell me that you believe in that ridiculous story!”

I stiffened as soon as she spoke those words. Even though I had a feeling that the reason why Thyata continued the search for our new home, I didn’t dare say that thought aloud. Versina was a fabled land, which was rumored to be located across the vast desert. Unfortunately no one has been able to verify if it is true or not because several died before they could reach the place. Thus it became a story that was usually told to the younglings by their mothers to keep them occupied. At first several children believed in that land, but as they got older, they began to realize how it was just a silly story. It seemed that Thyata still believed in it, which could cause many more to question her maturity.

However my chief didn’t answer Xylea’s question; instead she said simply, “I intend to find a home where my people can live in peace without worrying about being hunted down.”

“I am assuming you’re implying the Mascus Clan?” Thyata didn’t respond so the Ta Frue Clan chieftain continued, “Don’t be surprised that I knew about what happened to your people. Asurhe had informed me about it. Massacring your people and continuing to hunt you down. What the Mascus Clan done is barbaric and brings shame to all Aldairs.”

“Then you will help us?” my chief asked hopefully.

“I would, but here’s the thing,” Xylea paused and leaned over so all of us could hear. “I already agreed to a truce with the Mascus Clan.”

We immediately drew out our weapons and pointed them at the Ta Frue clan, who pointed theirs back in return. If we died here, we might as well die valiantly. On the other hand, Thyata had a look of disappointment on her face. She had hoped to reason with Xylea but instead had brought her people to a slaughter. “So you refuse to give us aid?” she whispered, gripping her skirt tightly.

The Ta Frue clan chieftain flipped her hair back. “Why do you think that? If the Mascus Clan asks, I’ll just tell them that I didn’t notice you and your people were in my lands,” she replied and turned to walk away. Her people looked at her uncertainly before following right behind her though they kept an eye on us.

We stood there in shock. The Ta Frue clan was letting us go? Thyata was the first to recover, and she quickly rushed forward. Bowing her head, she said gratefully, “Thank you for your good will. We are forever in your debt.”

Xylea halted and looked back at her from the corner of her eyes. “Who said that I did it out of the goodness of my heart?” she asked. “I only did it for your father’s sake, Chief Thyata. Your father was a good man, and I always admire him because of it. Know this: I only let this intrusion slip this time, but if I see you and your clan here again…” With that said, she and the rest of the clan disappeared into the darkness, leaving us alone in the vast forest.
 

skoo78

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 9, 2014
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
:zomg Have you thought about posting your stories up on Wattpad?
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Oh, I haven't heard of that site. I also post my stories on my website and fictionpress. I'll check it out then. :nod
 

skoo78

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 9, 2014
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Yes go check wattpad out and see if you like it. :hee
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Here is my profile. I posted two stories so far.

Do you have a profile?
 

skoo78

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 9, 2014
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Yeah so I can read stories from there. my name is suabkoo on wattpad. Excited to know what happened next. :)
 

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I'll add you then (try to anyway :XD)

It's going to take awhile since I want to finish The Enigma first :sweatbunny
 
Top