Riku's Garbage Dump

Sohma Riku

Intl Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2013
Messages
51
Reaction score
36
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Netherlands
Hi everyone! My (nick)name's Riku! I'm 23 years old and live in the Netherlands (in the Holland part). I graduated from university with a bachelor degree last year, spend 4 years of my life studying the Japanese language and culture, just to find myself without a job now.

My spare time is mostly spend on translating various Japanese media. I doubt many people here will know me, but if you do, you probably because I'm the one of the few people (probably the only one at the moment) providing English subtitles for The Prince of Tennis' musicals. (They are based on a manga with the same name of Konomi Takeshi) I also translated some other stuff; movies and drama series, but I doubt many people know me because of that.
On MH I'm only dropping down some Dutch translations for the manga series Naruto, but maybe I'll pick up another series sometimes.

Then, I also like to write stories, read books/manga, watch anime/drama series, listen music (mostly Jpop)... eh, I also really like to sleep. (I spend about 50% of my day sleeping)
And of course, I also enjoy cosplay! I have quite a few costumes by now, but I still want more. If possible I like to make my own costumes, but it's hard to find (cheap) fabric nowadays, so I don't make as much as I want to. At this moment I have only one completely hand-made costumes: Sakura basic outfit from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, and two partly hand-made costumes: Kagamine Rin's basic outfit and Camelia outfit (vocaloid).

Eh, last... I'll shut up after this. I'll list a few of my favoriete manga series,... to because I can. So, my favorites are (in no particular order): Death Note, Naruto, Fruits Basket, Detective Conan, Kuroshitsuji (black butler), Bleach, D.N.Angel, The Prince of Tennis... I think I'm forgetting some, but well...

It's nice too meet you all! Feel free to ask any questions about me! (^o^)/
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
welcome...

just wanted to say hi...:gent

question...

ever thought about moving to japan and becoming a teacher/translator...I hear English teacher are in a demand there...

plus your native tongue...that's two languages you could teach

:headscratch....just a thought

welcome and visit the FunForum too...
 

Sohma Riku

Intl Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2013
Messages
51
Reaction score
36
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Netherlands
Well, it's a nice thought but...
my English isn't (nearly) good enough to actually teach it to people (even though it usually doesn't show on a forum). Actually, my pronunciation is quite horrible. The pronunciation of Japanese people trying to speak English is usually already bad enough, no need for me to make it worse. ^-^
Not to mention I'm not really the teacher type.

I've thought about moving to Japan, but quite soon discovered I won't be able to survive too long in Japan for two little reasons:
1) Rice is okay, but not if I eat it every day. I'm more a potato loving person. (probably due to the fact I'm Dutch) Also, vegetables and meat are quite more expensive in Japan. Food wise it wouldn't work out for a long time.
2) I would spend too much money on manga, sweets/candy and CD's. I'd be broke before the end of the month. (Two years ago, I went to Japan and bought myself about a 100 volumes of manga in 6 weeks! And, I was holding back then. Actually living there would be devastating!)

About becoming a translator (either here or in Japan), there's already too much translators around... chances I actually find a job as a translator are really slim. Also, because I only have a bachelor degree (and not a master degree) and no official translator certificates.

Ehehe, for now I'll just settle with finding a job here in the Netherlands to get myself enough money to on a holiday to Japan. ^o^
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
good luck...

I was just rambling...

but welcome to the madness....

:XD

you are a naruto fan huh...you may see me often...

:thumbs
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,757
Reaction score
26,048
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Welcome to mh Sohma chan, nice to have you here. Yet another person who wants to go to Japan or considered it like me and I'm sure bunch of others.
Whats your take on manahwa - have you read any so far (Korean comics).
 

Sohma Riku

Intl Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2013
Messages
51
Reaction score
36
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Netherlands
@gnut:
I know it was just rambling ^-^ Doesn't mean I shouldn't answer. And yes, I kinda like Naruto. Started reading it when I was 17? or maybe 18? Then, I totally forgot about it for a while (because I was too busy with university stuff), but recently I caught up with the last 3 years of manga and anime. Now I'm eagerly waiting for a new chapter every week...

------

@Charlie:
Yes, I totally want to go to Japan (again), but only for a long holiday. Actually living there wouldn't work out for me. My older brother actually lives in Japan right now (close to Tokyo), so I'll probably go and visit him later this year. (If I can get myself enough money to cover my expenses within Japan.)

I believe I've only read two manhwa (partly)... PhD Phantasy degree and another one I can't seem to find the title of. I pretty much read them, because my younger brother bought some of the volumes. They weren't bad, but the story lines didn't really appeal to me.
Oh, I also read two volumes of Soul to Seoul, as I could get these pretty cheap. I actually kinda likes this story, but I can't remember I actually read the rest of the volumes (somewhere on the internet).
In the end I'm not negative nor positive. It's just another comic and whether I like it or not completely depends on the art style and story line. I don't care if it originally made by a Japanese or Korean artist. (^o^)
 

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 17, 2012
Messages
7,072
Reaction score
5,797
Country
Marine Headquarters
You seem to be a very interesting person Sohma; welcome on MH. :D
 
Top