Seinen - RRR by WATANABE Jun | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen RRR by WATANABE Jun

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

RRR
By: WATANABE Jun
Genre: Sports
Serialized In: Young Magazine
Mangaupdates

Rikitaro is a musician whose dream is to become a rock star just like Jimi Hendrix or Jim Morrison, but at the age of 27 that dream is fading away rapidly. Ooishi is a 3 time world boxing champion who recently retired and is now in the entertainment world, shooting a boxing reality show. These two unlikeliest of people cross paths one day but both of them think nothing of it until weeks later. Rikitaro is given one last shot by a record label to sign a deal but before that, they need him to get into better shape so that he is easier to sell. He stumbles upon a boxing gym which also happens to be the same gym Ooishi is filming his show. As fate’s wheels start to turn, neither man realizes that they will work together to train the best boxer ever, even better than Ooishi himself.

MattC302

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Re: [FEATURED] RRR by WATANABE Jun

I started reading this recently. I've only read 4 chapters so far. What attracted me to it was the art style. It looks familiar, but I can't recall reading any of the artist's other works. Anyway, the story is actually moving kind of slow, but I like the main character, so I don't mind. It seems that the next chapter will start to get into the main premise of the story.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Same reaction: weird sense of deja vu when I saw the art. It reminded me of Saru Lock for some reason. So far it's solid, it's felt a bit like a prologue so far. Hopefully when the boxing starts, the story picks up.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

Oh my. Chapter five started out average. Same as the last few, but it ended great. I can't believe that dude punched out a woman lol What a jerk. I can't wait to see Ricky teach him some respect in the next chapter.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

That was cold man. Hardcore. Dude didn't even hesitate, just dropped her and told her to go back to the kitchen. Ricky still might be a little doughy to stand up to him. Whatever happens, I bet he puts up a good enough fight for Thunder-san to take him under his wing.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

Just read chapter 6. Good stuff. Though I thought things would have been wrapped up in one chapter. And there he goes puking again. Hopefully next chapter Ricky will get some redemption and look cool in front of all the housewives.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Getting embarrassed in front of the housewives was epic. Made the chapter worthwhile. He'll probably get a good blow in, even if it's not enough for redemption it will be enough for Thunder to take an interest. He does seem to be at his best when backed into a corner, no?

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

ROCK AND ROLL! Oh man. This chapter was awesome. I almost spit my water out when Ricky punched him in the balls lol. But WTF at the end. Real bummer.

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Loved this chapter!I caught up with the series recently and the latest chapter was hilarious and sad at the same time.This was kinda out of the blue,so i'd never expect it,but i wonder how things will develope now.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Looks like a cool series, very enjoyable first chapters. I'm on pins and needles for more <3

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

loooooooooooool right in the balls! I expected a body blow but dude went under the belt. And then all the hot house come and snuggle him. I loved that dumb grin on Riki's face.

Loved this chapter!I caught up with the series recently and the latest chapter was hilarious and sad at the same time.This was kinda out of the blue,so i'd never expect it,but i wonder how things will develope now.
His sister dying was definitely a curve ball. Well timed too, right when things were looking up. Guess he's going to be taking care of her kid soon.

Last edited:

brebaz

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
The first time i tried to read this i couldn't go past page 2! 4 days ago i gave it another try and it actually grew on me now i can't wait to read more of it. it's shaping up to be a great series i hope.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Wow. Chapter 8 was so sad. I was fighting back tears the entire time I was reading. I love a manga that can get such an emotional reaction out of me.

Do you guys think there will be a time-skip and Aozora will be the fighter Ricky and Thunder train together?

Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
A bit to melo-dramatic, but definitely good. I was fighting back tears in spite of myself.

I think RRR is about Ricky coming of age, Aozora and boxing represent Ricky learning to be responsible.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
This seems right to be the point where the actual plot starts rolling. Prologue over, so to say.
So, no more trying to become a rockstar from now on? This path seems to have been denied to him in all of this. Now it's probably all about he gets into boxing.

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
What a sad chapter.I kinda felt that the previous chapter was even more sad,probably because of that random shock.

I agree with Rofl,i guess that's where he will lose his career as a rockstar,because he was absent and his buds didn't believe in him(just a guess),so he will start boxing,even though he is fairly old already.To old to start a successful boxing career anyway(at least in real life:p).

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Just red chapter 9. I was sure that this chapter would pale in comparison to last chapter since it was so emotional, but I found it really nice how Ricky was reminiscing about his sister with Aozora. Also, those dudes that were talking trash about Ricky's sister need a good beating, but I don't see how Ricky can take them all, even if he did lose some weight. Maybe someone will show up and help him. I hope he doesn't get a beat down. He doesn't deserve that. Especially right after he lost his sister and seemingly has to give up his dream.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Actually I find Chapter 9 to be even better than Ch. 8.
I can't explain why, but Ch. 8 kinda missed to really emotionally impress me, but Ch. 9 was really nice actually.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Dude crossed the line, hitting a kid like that. He deserved that beating and more. Ricky showed some fierce determination, though I suppose he was more blinded by anger than anything. It wasn't really a "fun" fight to see. It was kind of sad. I hope Ricky and Aozora can pull their lives together somehow. Knocked out and bloody on a beach in the middle of the night is not a good start.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Now this seems like rock bottom (as soon as he realises his chances on becoming a rock star are gone at least), but I think his newly won determination might get him out of there rather quickly. Guess this will be where his real box training will start soon.

A good start for where the "normal story" / main story part will begin.