Seinen Shamo by Tanaka Akio

mattiaildivino

Registered User
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
9,896
Reaction score
1,607
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Would have been hard to follow their development otherwise IMO. Anyhow don't want to see the fight stretch through the next volume with only a couple of minutes left for the fight, the plot got to progress at some point, even if it concludes the story.
I'd like to see Naoto and his girlfriend again. they must be watching the fight,to see what ryu's destiny will be. I really can't predict who will win this fight...
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I just started this manga. I'm on chapter 94 now and I really like it. It's weird though. I'm currently in the fight between Ryo and Naota. Naota is such a good guy. He took care of his paralyzed father and he wants to avenge Moemi's rape. But why the hell do I want him to lose to Ryo who murdered his parents, has beaten dozens of people half to death, and raped Moemi simply to goad Naota into a fight? He's a monster. It's so odd, but I want Ryo to win.

Ryo is one of the most interesting protagonists I have come across. His character actually appeals to me more than the fighting aspect of the manga does. I can only remember one other manga with a main character who is such a bad person and that is Usamaru Furuya's adaptation of 'No Longer Human'. I think going with a "villain protagonist" is a bold move from the author/s. It's risky to have a serialization with a main character that is so hard to like. But maybe he isn't so unlikeable after all? I'm routing for him. But why? This is very odd to me. Like I said, I've only come across one other manga like this. I think that's why I am liking it so much. It's a very different reading experience for me.
 

mattiaildivino

Registered User
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
9,896
Reaction score
1,607
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
this manga is the strange one,you want him to win because otherwise this awesome manga would end,probably ;)
 

Gorgias

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2011
Messages
53
Reaction score
15
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
btw: We can expect the new volume soon - it's pronounced in the last one for this month.

Pls post if you know s.th. or found the volume somewhere. (:
 

Ganner_Rhysode

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2007
Messages
61
Reaction score
16
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
It's nice to see other fellow readers from Germany still reading the manga (after it got cancelled infamously, all these years ago... :( ).
Actually Vol 28 is out in Japan since the 23rd August. A friend of mine was visiting Japan just a week before and bought it for me. The only problem is that he currently studies in Korea. But I'm expecting the package every day, now. I could at least give you guys a summary of it when it arrives. (I don't speak Japanese, though, so it will only be a limited on-the-pictures-based summary :D)
 

mattiaildivino

Registered User
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
9,896
Reaction score
1,607
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
btw: We can expect the new volume soon - it's pronounced in the last one for this month.

Pls post if you know s.th. or found the volume somewhere. (:
actually the previous volume came out just some months ago,although still in japanese. so maybe it's gonna come out in english,nothing more...
 

Ganner_Rhysode

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2007
Messages
61
Reaction score
16
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
Shamo vol 27 was scanlated 4 months ago from wildfangproject... In English! Every major reading-site has it by now...
 

Gorgias

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2011
Messages
53
Reaction score
15
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
e.g. http://view.thespectrum.net/series/shamo-volume-27.html

If Volume 28 is already released - even better!

The german Shamo-edition has a sad story - "bad sales". Maybe a rerelease would be worth a try after manga in general became much popular the last years. But reading Shamo without understanding the japanese text won't be that depressing: Imho the pictures generally transport the most content independent of the text.
 

mattiaildivino

Registered User
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
9,896
Reaction score
1,607
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Shamo vol 27 was scanlated 4 months ago from wildfangproject... In English! Every major reading-site has it by now...
hence can someone post it? I really can't find it....
 

Ganner_Rhysode

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2007
Messages
61
Reaction score
16
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
@ mattialdivino:

Just one post above you...
You guys here don't seem to read the posts of other people here, eh? XP

---------- Post added September 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was September 12, 2012 at 03:59 AM ----------

Okay, the package was delivered to town... But is currently impounded by customs... -.- I will go by the customs-office tomorrow, snatch it up, finally and tell you what's the news on the story. If there's time, I will even upload some pictures of the (obviously) most important things happening and so on... So, stay tuned, and by the same time tomorrow I should bring you the newest stuff! ;)

---------- Post added September 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was September 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM ----------

Okay guys, here it is. And it is the MOTHERLOAD of "shit hitting the fan" - good AND bad:
I will try to sum up all the things happening to my best knowledge and the best I can.
I again tell you, explicitly, that I am NOT fluent in Japanese, so this summary is purely picture-based.
Here we go.

The fight becomes vicious, as Toma fills his rage-meter and becomes more aggressive. They punch and kick each other, but nobody seems to have the upperhand. Meanwhile Kurogawa seems to have seen enough and leaves the visitors-seats. He descends the stairs of the deserted inner halls of the stadium, vomits a real gush of blood, tumbles and falls down the stairs. He seems to be talking to himself (and possibly about his life as a karateka, as his bloody fist is constantly put into focus), while a little kid emerges and stares at him, incredulously. He screams at the kid, the kid cries and races away, and Kurogawa looks at his clenched fist, which slowly slackens and he dies.
Yes, I am NOT shitting you. This is it. Kurogawa is dead.
Meanwhile, the fight becomes ferocious as Toma and Ryu fight each other.
It looks great, as all kicks and punches are "traced" by watertrails, which their fists and feet pick up from the soaking ground of the stadium and the pouring rain.
Ryu quietly starts to have developed an injury, as his leg gets bloodier and bloodier. The source seems to be from under his pants, so I GUESS it's the knife-wound inflicted by Naomi, back in Vol 25.
A big strike of lightning suddenly hits and the whole stadium looses its electricity and the light shorts out. Ryu and Toma don't seem to care and the fight reaches its conclusion, as Toma drives his knee into Ryu's wounded thigh, and Ryu's elbow lacerates Toma's face on the side, and above the brow; a lot of blood gushes out, but Toma still stands, while Ryu slumps to the ground.
At this exact moment another lightning illuminates the whole stadium, and the audience is left in an uproar. Toma is dragged away, screaming, while Ryu is taken care of by his long-hair-buddy and the drunk doctor. The fight is over.
Yes. It's over.
We see Toma at home, with his brother, looking crazed and out of his mind, clutching his head, as his brother, gently tries to molify him.
Later his brother burns Ryu's old drawing of the bird, which Toma acquired (in Vol 18, I think), and from the smoke and flames some demonish kind of shade emerges, and frightens his brother, but very quickly desolves.
At the hospital, Ryu visits the dead Kurokawa and seems to make fun of him in his usual asshole-Ryu-style. This scene pretty much screams at me: "Hey, you old fart, now you are really dead. And look at me, I survived all of this and even outlived you!"
The next one is really, really horrid. We see the usual, old-young Natsume-smiling-into-the-camera-at-the-beach picture, which was shown often enough in the manga. It's a beautiful splashpage. Turning to the next two, one can see a terrible, horrible mirroring image of Ryu's sister, as she is at this moment. But she is fucked up.
I mean it, FUCKED UP, like never before. She's a total vegetable, drooling and slobbering, almost as thin as a rigid skull, with dark, hollowed cheeks and big, bulging eyes.
Tokichi and Natsuma sit at the beach, as Ryu walks up to them and Ryu and Tokichi share a happy moment of bro-hood. Ryu seems like getting up to speed, what's the situation with Tokichi and Natsume, gives them cash, and so on.
He then visits the doctor (I really can't say if it's his (new?) doctor or Sugawara's. I guess it's the latter. They talk something about braindamage, they get into a quarrel and Ryu leaves.
Meanwhile, in a darker corner of the city, at night, a whole group of guys (probably Banryu kai? I absolutely cannot say...) gets fucked up, by two, big, dark shadowy figures. You can only make out a very long haired, buffed up guy and behind him, a thin figure, walking on a very thin, ellegant stick, wearing a hat. Could be a guy, or a chick, you cannot tell the difference. But they are introduced, as if they are some returning charakters, and/or the next big villains for the upcoming storyline.
The situation with Ryu's sister gets worse, as she is still struggling and doesn't recognize her brother, and even throws stuff after him. Ryu then wanders around and finds a stray , wild puppy. It's really small and sweet, but has guts as it bites Ryu and shows a very ferocious surviving will. Ryu flips it away and leaves, but the puppy follows him later on, and he decides to keep it (Hell yes, I am serious. Ryu and his OWN PUPPY!! He even carries it with him in his jacket, where only the head shows from his half-closed zipper!)
He brings it home, his sister has another of her seizures, but the small puppy seems to molify and soothe her. She gradually becomes her old self, at least she seems to get better.
In the meantime, Mochizuki, the old coach of Sugawara seems to talk business with his board of directors and with the Dark-Banryukai-guy (the creepy one, with the bald head.). Dark-Banryu-dude seems to quarrel with Mochizuki and also seems to have a hard-on for Naoto's old dad, as he seems to hug his picture on a wal... Mochizuki leaves, and gets attacked and stabbed by a couple of people out in the street and bleeds to death.
I am not kidding you, Kurogawa AND Mochizuki are BOTH dead.
Ryu later has an unexpected visitor at his and his sisters house by the beach, who turns out to be no other than Isao Kanayama/Myeong-Hoon Kim from the SECOND VOLUME, from his juvi-days! It's the one he almost gets burned in the barn-thing, who tries to kill Ryu with a pick-axe, the big, burly guy. They fight, he recognizes Isao and they talk a little bit and then Isao leaves. Ryu is able to see that Isao was carrying a gun, which he never used in the fight however.
What exactly the significance of this whole encounter was, I truly cannot say... It seemed so random and... without point?
We near this volumes conclusion, as Ryu investigates a ruckus, outside his house, as a couple of teenagers/inbetweeners light some fireworks and are having a beach-party.
Ryu deals with the problem Ryu-style as he beats them up and in the end uses the fireworks himself.
He seems like he is eager about something, like he's wild for something to go down, you kniw what I mean? Ryu seems as if some big fight or something is going to happen, and he is wild for it. But there is no chance of being able to discern it, so I hope that Edited Mangas are available soon...

So, that's it, my lengthy, but pretty thorough sumarry of the volume. A LOOOT of shit happens in this one, believe me. And still, I am very displeased that the fight between Toma and Ryu ends so quickly and doesn't seem to have ANY EPILOGUE or consequences... But hopefully, there's more behind it in the following volumes.
Now, I will probably upload some pictures soon. Stay focussed ;P
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I read this volume the other day, I thought it was pretty good. The author seems to have decided to settle the fight and the arc as "essentially unresolved". And a lotta stuff changing. I'll be interested to see where it goes next. Definitely a dark turn for an already dark manga.
 

Ganner_Rhysode

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2007
Messages
61
Reaction score
16
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
Hey guys, the raw volume of Shamo #28 is out... Wanted to give you the heads-up!
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Volume 28 has been scanlated by Illuminati Manga.

I'm really glad that nonsense with Touma is over. To be honest, I didn't like Touma as a character, I didn't like his fight with Ryou, and I thought his arc as a whole was lacking. I hope to never see Touma again.



Besides that, the volume was great. I'm especially intrigued by the introduction of Licky the dog. This development can go a few different ways, but knowing the vibe of this manga, it won't end well. I foresee Ryou and his sister getting attached to the dog, then someone kills the dog(perhaps those two shadowy figures), and sends Natsume spiraling back into her drug induced state and Ryou further into the darkness.



And damn! People who have something to do with Ryou were dropping like flies in this volume. 4 of his acquaintances dead in one volume.



I wonder who those two shadowy figures were?
 

maxikki

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
Messages
218
Reaction score
46
Gender
Male
Country
United States
anyone got any info on the next volume?
 

Ganner_Rhysode

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2007
Messages
61
Reaction score
16
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
From Volume 28


Which translates as 4th of February, right? Or is it 2nd April... Somebody speaking Japanese, here? XD
 

maxikki

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
Messages
218
Reaction score
46
Gender
Male
Country
United States
thanks for the page, i wonder if he is ever gonna use again the ki techniques he learned in china :P
 

bonifide

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
150
Reaction score
31
Age
46
Gender
Male
Country
United States
thanks for the page, i wonder if he is ever gonna use again the ki techniques he learned in china :P
I dropped the manga when they showed that gymnastic dude. The story turned to shit and he basically got weaker before he even learned ki. You can tell both the authors didnt agree and you can see how bad the story got.
 

Ganner_Rhysode

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2007
Messages
61
Reaction score
16
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
I dropped the manga when they showed that gymnastic dude. The story turned to shit and he basically got weaker before he even learned ki. You can tell both the authors didnt agree and you can see how bad the story got.
I have to correct you on that one. Although Izuo Hashimoto wrote the manga in the beginning, he wrote less and less of it from as early as VOLUME 4(!!). I even read somewhere (many years ago) that he wasn't involved with the series at ALL anymore by volume 9.
And I guess, I always found the first 3 volumes differed in tone and atmosphere from the rest of the series.

EDIT:

BTW, Volume 29 is going to be released on 22nd of February, this month in Japan.


Judging from the cover, this looks very much like Ryo back during the match with Sugawara, with the burst capillaries in his eye. Rematch? ;P Flashback? ;P I'm already jittery from anticipation.
 
Last edited:

mattiaildivino

Registered User
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Messages
9,896
Reaction score
1,607
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
lol,it's been so long since I read it the last time. I will read it again this summer,cause I can't really remember the details concerning the tournament, nor ryo's training.
 

MOYcano 0.23

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2009
Messages
325
Reaction score
190
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Uff, I haven't read a new chapter of Shamo since five or six years ago. I actually believed that its production was stop, instead of continue in another magazine. (Maybe it was some misinformation from the Spanish Manga Editor group I was following in the time). Anyway, now I feel like when you found an old friend after many, many years... a violent, parricide, and shit-brain friend (xD).
 
Top