TV Sherlock

kaliayev

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2007
Messages
951
Reaction score
89
Gender
Male
Country
United States


A contemporary adaptation of the Sherlock Holmes series, Sherlock was created by Steven Moffat (Coupling and Doctor Who) and Mark Gatiss (League of Gentlemen). Martin Freeman (The Office) plays John Watson, a military doctor who has returned to London after being wounded in Afghanistan. Benedict Cumberbatch gives a marvelous performance as a decidedly modern Sherlock Holmes, who relies on a blackberry, is socially inept, and is often bored. For the most part, the series has been quite good, with Moffat and Gatiss having written the first and third episodes, respectively. In addition to the three episodes that have been broadcast, an unaired pilot will be included in the DVD release. Given reception to the series' fairly short run, a second season is expected to be ordered by BBC execs before too long.
 
Last edited:

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
I finished watching it, and for me it has been the best thing on TV this summer. When i read the synopsis for it at first, i wondered how the whole modern Sherlock Holmes thing would work and frankly i had doubts. However it did surprise me and it was much better than i anticipated.

The BBC exec confirmed there would be a 2nd season, and i think its becoming more likely since Moffat confirmed it as well. He also said its going to be 90minutes again, which i enjoy its like watching a mini-film. :p
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
It gets better. Much better! Btw, the second season has been confirmed to be aired on august 11 over here. I cannot wait.
 

wilsontom

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeahhh!!!
It's an Amazing Series. When I first time watched it at my cousin's house, I immediately fall in love with this series. It's wonderful show. I love to watch it.
 

AnkorSVK

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2009
Messages
105
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
Slovakia
Hmm looks like this may be another show worth watching
 

shaheer

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
4,190
Reaction score
2,208
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
can any one refer a download site for this series?,,,
i am interested in this new sherlock but googling yields poor responses
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Bumping this thread for the 3rd season of Sherlock.

I'll keep my thoughts in spoiler tags and I suggest that being done for at least until a day after its original airing.

I thought it was brilliant! Going into it, the thing that I was looking forward to most were John's reaction to Sherlock being alive and of course, how hdid he do it. The show handled both very well I thought; proving a dynamic that was both comic but also serious when it needed to be. For example, Sherlock trying to meet John for the first time was so a comical scene, until it got John's reaction and then you had to relate to him about how Sherlock's death affected him, the look in his eyes was quite painful. But as that whole encounter and following scenes went on, it got lighter and the comedy slowly creeped in to take over, so that the viewers could laugh about the whole ordeal and get behind Sherlock.

His subsequent meetings with Mrs Hudson and the police detective ( I forget his name)were also enjoyable. You do though, realise how much they both mean to each other; when they're both shown at their places of work and they constantly talking to themselves or calling each other's names. So lovely.

I think the only thing that bought the episode down a touch was the episode's evil storyline; which involved a terrorist trying to bomb parliament a la V for Vendetta. So there was that, but in the end you got a glimpse of the season's bad guy and you know there's something bigger lurking in the shadows for Sherlock besides the terrorist underground network he had to deal with.

Preview for Episode 2, which airs on Sunday 5th Jan:

 
Last edited by a moderator:

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
S03E01 -- They scared me a bit with the beginnig. The realisator toyed around with us a lot in that episode. All the scenarii from that "sherlock fan club" are hilarious. All in all, a good episode but far from being the best of the serie. It's not on par with all the "moriarty" episodes & the "irene adler" episode.

Oh, and our hobbit is absolutely perfect in his acting. The way he reacted whe he realize that Sherlock is alive was simply great.
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
As always, this show is very well done and I wasn't disappointed with the series three premiere. The camera work and mixing are very different and artistic, and the show having a larger budget and fanbase seemed to only elevate that aspect of the show.

One key difference I saw : SO MUCH FAN SERVICE.

However, it was done mostly as humor yet serving its purpose all the same. I enjoyed the storyline, character interactions, and performances. The acting is just top notch and Sherlock would not be as entertaining and witty without it. Can we discuss how intriguing Mary is? She is definitely better than any other Mary I've seen portrayed.

And as far as the new villain goes... I don't know who he is. I haven't read the novels and even though my younger sister (who I watch the show with) has, she couldn't pin point who he was either. From the looks of his dwelling, he is into "magic tricks" (ie. the clowns, rabbit with the hat etc.). Perhaps he's as interested or obsessive about how Sherlock did it as the rest of us are.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Good shout on Mary, I really did enjoy her character and as first appearances goes, it was one of my favourites. The scene in hers and Watson's room where she teases him about calling Sherlock was funny and also her interaction with the latter as he and Watson part ways after meeting each other again after 2 years.

The villain's name is based of a short story by Doyle, but how much of the characters personalities and story will be used is unknown right now. He does certainly seem as you've described him, as if slowly, trying to get Sherlock's attention to play a game with him; to test him. Motive? we don't have much to go on now besides the kidnapping and his brief showing at the end of the episode. He seems to have done quite a thorough research on Sherlock though, pinpointing his weakness in John; but then again, that's a pretty common one.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Just saw the second one, probably the less good episode of the entire serie for me. The whole episode is a mix between the wedding & an investigation. It felt like a parody of a normal episode.

Sherlock is for me out of character. We have a sherlock aware of his sexappeal, getting drunk, telling his feelings, who enjoy dancing & displaying his dancing skills to someone he barely know ? ... All this is funny but again I feel that the best Sherlock can offer was given last year. Moriarty & Irene Adler can not be replaced.
 
Last edited:

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
I don't care what anyone says, but when Sherlock slammed two graduated cylinders on the bar and demanded 437 milliliters of beer I died.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I don't care either. I know my opinion on the second one isn't the most popular.
But the third one was amazing. Great villain, great watson, great sherlock, simply amazing mary & to conclude the episode: "HELL YES I MISS YOU".
 
Last edited:

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
For me, the whole season was a disappointment. The third episode was certainly better than the first two but still worse than the first two seasons. The wait for the next season will be much easier this time.
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
For me, the whole season was a disappointment. The third episode was certainly better than the first two but still worse than the first two seasons. The wait for the next season will be much easier this time.
So, I'm not alone then :).
There is a reason why there were cameos from Moriarty or/and Irene in each episode. The scenarists simply didn't know how to do it without Moriarty.
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
What a shite season. Fucking disappointment to their high standards. They should not have changed directors, they should have given Steven Thompson (Reichenbach fall, Blind Banker) at least his one proper standalone episode. It went from a 9.5 to an 8. The first episode was definitely 7.5 with all of its silly fan service.

Overall a disappointment, but its still a very good show, it is just unable to reach the heights of previous seasons. So much needless comedy, its not a comedy-drama what in the fucking fuck, have some light hearted comedy but not constantly. The silly cameos, and it seems with every episode they are drifting further away from making the drama of the case the centre-point of the episode and more about the drama of the characters, ugh. They've also needlessly ratchet up the bromance, god its gruesome. That has Moffats hands written all over it, I hope to god they dont let him ruin it. I've heard horror stories from Dr. Who fans...

Since they have practically finished all the sherlock holmes novels, all that is left now is the many short stories. They confirmed two more seasons, they may go through most of the small stories and try to tie them together like in the second episode, which I hope they dont do. I prefer the full episode type mysteries.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

For me, the whole season was a disappointment. The third episode was certainly better than the first two but still worse than the first two seasons. The wait for the next season will be much easier this time.
Yea, needlessly waiting for BBC shows to air has become a specialty but the Sherlock wait was especially hard, it wont really be the same this time around.
 

Sakura Saluja

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2013
Messages
161
Reaction score
34
Gender
Female
Country
Spain
I've just seen random parts of random episodes of this series on tv but by what I have seen it seemed wonderful.. I was thinking about watching it seriously.. is it really worthy?? :33
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 30, 2008
Messages
5,568
Reaction score
6,349
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I just recently found out about this series by watching the last two episodes from season 3, which I must say I enjoyed watching very much.

Being a huge fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories, I like how this series incorporates elements, themes and characters from the original stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Another thing I like about this series is that although I already have some idea what is going to happen since I have read Doyle’s stories, it is still very fun and exciting to watch the episodes because they always have some surprising twists and new elements as part of them.

About the characters, Sherlock is my favorite character, but I do have to say that I like Watson as well and that I enjoy the interactions between Sherlock and him a lot! And I know she is not a canon character, but I like Molly and her one-sided love for Sherlock.

I’m planning to watch all the episodes of this series; in fact, I've already started watching A Scandal In Belgravia.

Even though I have just watched two episodes of Sherlock, I’m already looking forward to season 4! :^_^
 

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 30, 2008
Messages
5,568
Reaction score
6,349
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I’m looking forward to watching the next season. However, since filming won’t begin until 2016, I’m happy about this special episode. :)


---------- Post added October 26, 2015 at 06:15 AM ---------- Previous post was October 12, 2015 at 07:33 AM ----------

Sherlock Special: Official extended trailer - BBC One

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top