Hangout Shingeki no Kyojin Hangout Thread

ImmortalZodd

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2013
Messages
146
Reaction score
65
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
cut through until the last page you see Erwin shocked and realized that he can't believe the enemy is willing to abandon literally EVERYTHING. I don't know...
He only said that cause he believed she just commited suicide, which she didn't.
 

Yumpo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2013
Messages
364
Reaction score
186
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
He only said that cause he believed she just commited suicide, which she didn't.
And then risking getting eaten by titans along with her titan form? If I recall this ability is sort of a last resort. I don't know. She's risking too much including her life here just so no one could extract information from her. It's too much to end a chapter with that note if an author doesn't intend that the character is like that all.
 

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
2,560
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I'm with Yumpo on this. I've always felt Annie to be more warrior-like than (the current) Reiner or Bertholdt because of this. On a related note, Reiner calls her "not fit to be a soldier" during their first shown sparring session (interesting to point out that the word used in the Anime is "warrior" instead...)

I'm a big fan of Annie myself, and I think she is't a bad person deep down (let's ignore the 'controversial' mass-murdering issue for now XD ) There are bits I especially take notice of, such as:
- the first time seeing her smile (after Eren pulled off her move on Reiner, Annie offered to teach Eren her move and then joke around with him by flooring him lol,)
- saying "sorry" to somebody (Marco?) after the Titan raid,
- when she spared Armin (I always couldn't fully understand when she said it was a "gamble" by letting him live, I can see where she's coming from, but I think she was using that as an explanation to hide her softness, whether due to being an acquaintance or admiration from what Armin said to her during the gear-check)
- I sweeeeaaaar I could see tears swelling in her eyes right at the end before she crystalises... (probably due to the flashback. That said, she's probably fond of her father, but covers it up with poor lies just like Eren said.)
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,673
Reaction score
61,375
Gender
Male
Country
France
Annie and the 2 others have not the same goals. But they probaly encountered each others before, maybe there are childhood friends but they haven't the same hometown. During the training session, Reiner was teasing them probably because he asked her help and refused.

Annie is fighting against humans only because of her father, she is the nicest of the 3 and the only one I consider as an anti-villain now. She has probably the most tragic past of the manga. Seriously, look at her face when she was about to be captured:pout, she is absolutely not a straight villain. Reiner and Bert destroy towns and kill a lot of people but Annie doesn't operate like that. She probably teamed up with them after the training session because they were annoying her. Still, she didn't attacked during the Trost battle, only during the expedition arc because she wants to kill as few persons as possible. She is probably ok with killing soldiers because they are warriors.
 

ImmortalZodd

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2013
Messages
146
Reaction score
65
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
And then risking getting eaten by titans along with her titan form? If I recall this ability is sort of a last resort. I don't know. She's risking too much including her life here just so no one could extract information from her. It's too much to end a chapter with that note if an author doesn't intend that the character is like that all.
But that still could be her putting her life in first, not the mission. I mean, sure, she risked her life, but what would be the alternative? Being captured by Scouting Legion. I don't think it's about witholding information or caring about the mission, she just doesn't want to be captured/interogated/tortured/experimented on. And wasn't crystallization her last resort?

Annie and the 2 others have not the same goals. But they probaly encountered each others before, maybe there are childhood friends but they haven't the same hometown. During the training session, Reiner was teasing them probably because he asked her help and refused.
I wondered about that as well. Like, what is Annie's purpose in this mission. Maybe she's a general fighter type that just was supposed to jump in in case if Berth or Reiner got themselves in a tight spot?
Annie could also be a substitute for the guy that was with R&B earlier that got eaten by Ymir?
It could explain why she seems a lot more distant from R&B, since she was additionaly added to the team.

Annie and Reiner and Bert destroy towns and kill a lot of people but Annie doesn't operate like that.
It's not like Annie doesn't carry the fault and responsibility simply because she didn't directly engage in the attack. But her fault for the 20% of the dead is completely equal to those of R&B.
 
Last edited:

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
2,560
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Annie and the 2 others have not the same goals. But they probaly encountered each others before, maybe there are childhood friends but they haven't the same hometown. During the training session, Reiner was teasing them probably because he asked her help and refused.

Annie is fighting against humans only because of her father, she is the nicest of the 3 and the only one I consider as an anti-villain now. She has probably the most tragic past of the manga. Seriously, look at her face when she was about to be captured:pout, she is absolutely not a straight villain. Reiner and Bert destroy towns and kill a lot of people but Annie doesn't operate like that. She probably teamed up with them after the training session because they were annoying her. Still, she didn't attacked during the Trost battle, only during the expedition arc because she wants to kill as few persons as possible. She is probably ok with killing soldiers because they are warriors.


Can't agree more about Annie teaming up with R&B after the training session.

Reiner was picking on her during training, but after saving Connie on that mission to replenish gas, Reiner was trying to say "glad you're safe" lol. So something must have happened in between.

Also interesting to note, when Annie is apologising (to supposedly her team?) Reiner 'forces' his viewpoint on Annie by saying "there is no point in saying sorry"(not really force, but you get what I mean.) There's a fundamental mindset between those two. Annie, being alone with her partner-in-crime, opens up herself by saying sorry to a dead person, and that speaks a lot about her (whether she was the culprit for the dead she was apologising to or not.)

At first I thought he just didn't want her to get hurt (and expose her Titan recovery gas thing) but now I think there's more to that (specifically Annie agreeing to Reiner on a certain thing, and Reiner is thanking her through "being glad she's safe.")

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

But that still could be her putting her life in first, not the mission. I mean, sure, she risked her life, but what would be the alternative? Being captured by Scouting Legion. I don't think it's about witholding information or caring about the mission, she just doesn't want to be captured/interogated/tortured/experimented on. And wasn't crystallization her last resort?
I think that's a good point, picking up on the crystallisation, but I think it's a different situation. Let's leave the term 'last resort' aside for now.

In the forest, calling out to other Titans is a gamble. She doesn't want to be captured, and there are other Titans in the vicinity, so she calls out to them, risking being eaten, but if the plan succeeds, she can escape. If it fails, she still wins because she is dead rather than captured (so no-one can torture her for info. But I'd say she looks like she's gambling, but her bets are on herself being able to escape alive because of her promise to her father.)

In her last battle, there is nobody else that could 'save' her. There is nothing else, no-one else she could rely on. She isn't able to kill herself (?) (Think about it, she's stuck in the Titan body, the moment she comes out she'll be restrained.) That is why she crystallises herself to prevent anyone from reaching her (getting info out of her.)

There is also a flashback seen in her last battle, I think she cares about her father enough to want to go back to him and tell him she's still alive, to keep the promise. Yes, this contradicts her gambling behaviour in the forest battle, but a gamble is a gamble and there is just as much chance to escape alive than being eaten. This is what she's saying about gambling to Armin later on.

But in her last battle, there is nothing to be gambled about. Her only choice is to stay alive anyway, and by crystallising, she can also prevent other people from reaching her (for the information she holds.) And staying alive is definitely part of her agenda, given the choice. I think she wants to go back to her father/ keep her promise with her father after all.

To expand on my last point: If she still thinks she can go back to her father, then she believes there will be someone to save her. If she only wants to keep her promise with her father by simply keeping herself alive, then the moment she loses she knows she's at a dead end. She's quite a sympathetic character judging from how she apologises to corpses, so I wouldn't mind saying she's keeping herself alive to symbolise some sort of eternal hope in returning to her father.
 

ImmortalZodd

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2013
Messages
146
Reaction score
65
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
I don't even think that move in the forest was such a big gamble for her. She had her arms protecting the neck, so no titan would bite into the neck directly. All she needed was the steam to start evaporating to hide her so she could leave her titan's neck and escape with 3DM. With the titans focused on eating her flesh, it would be a bigger risk being seen by other soldiers while fleeing, than being eaten by a titan.
 

KingOfNight

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Messages
2,314
Reaction score
694
Gender
Male
Country
Fire Nation
So I just watched the first episode, and I'm here, completely vulnerable for spoilers. Now you may be thinking, "Why are you here if you're still in the first episode?"

Well, the answer is simple... I had to cry somewhere after the terror I just saw :shootme

Was I the only one terrified by that ugly, naked, drunken, smiling, insane, gigantic, drug taking, man-eating giant from hell ? I hope not.

Good lord, I didn't know it was going this way :shootme

Well, now I'm done crying so I'll be back (maybe) after I catch up.
 

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2013
Messages
2,142
Reaction score
1,307
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
@KingOfNight: There is an anime thread! Please don't read what's here or you'll be spoiled far worse than the anime thread can do!


@everyone else: Actually, if Reiner was saying such things to Annie, it could also be that he was looking down on her as not being "good enough" as a warrior. That she was being too "soft" for his taste at the time, which is delicious, considering which he's the one who loses his marbles to the cognitive dissonance of actual reality not matching his black-and-white dream world later on. Also, there's a possibility you're a better "warrior" if you can transform in the dark, which she can't do (or maybe she can't spend significant amounts of time in the dark at all), which might also affect his personal judgment of her worth.
 
Last edited:

Yumpo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2013
Messages
364
Reaction score
186
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
@everyone else: Actually, if Reiner was saying such things to Annie, it could also be that he was looking down on her as not being "good enough" as a warrior. That she was being too "soft" for his taste at the time, which is delicious, considering which he's the one who loses his marbles to the cognitive dissonance of actual reality not matching his black-and-white dream world later on. Also, there's a possibility you're a better "warrior" if you can transform in the dark, which she can't do (or maybe she can't spend significant amounts of time in the dark at all), which might also affect his personal judgment of her worth.
Do you guys think it was a mistake in the anime?? You know Reiner saying the word 戦士(warrior) instead of 兵士(soldier) to Annie? The manga said the latter XDDD. I didn't noticed it until I checked the episode again. Anime subs don't know how to differentiate between the two words as of right now. That's why I didn't notice it until I actually tried to listen. XDDD
 

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2013
Messages
2,142
Reaction score
1,307
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
I just based what I wrote on what people said so far so I'm not so sure. Is that from episode 8? Which anime ep or even better, which manga chapter? Either is fine though as I'd like to check both...
 

Bandreus

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
163
Reaction score
38
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Do you guys think it was a mistake in the anime?? You know Reiner saying the word 戦士(warrior) instead of 兵士(soldier) to Annie? The manga said the latter XDDD. I didn't noticed it until I checked the episode again. Anime subs don't know how to differentiate between the two words as of right now. That's why I didn't notice it until I actually tried to listen. XDDD
Honestly, we don't know. They edited in quite some details (not specifically talking fillers here).

The point being, since the anime could very well get an ending instead of more seasons, we can't really be sure if any change they make is intended to allow for a more fitting ending rather than "fixing" anything wrong and/or misleading with the manga.

So yeah, I don't know what to think about how things seen in the anime correlate to the manga's canon.
 

Yumpo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2013
Messages
364
Reaction score
186
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Episode 4 of the anime and Chapter 17 of the manga. Just to say Crunchyroll and that other subber for the anime I watched used the word "soldier" instead of what Reiner actually said in the episode, 'warrior'. Yes he said 'warrior' in Japanese instead of 'soldier'. The manga used 'soldier' whether it was the Japanese version or English versions.

True, I did remember saying last time not to use anime evidences and such things since we still don't know whether they're following the manga totally or not...XD
 

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2013
Messages
2,142
Reaction score
1,307
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Oh yeah I forgot you have the actual manga. So chapter 17 says "heishi" (兵士) then? Thank you! ^_^

btw I did skim through ep 8 and wow did RBA take a *lot* of interest when they first see Eren. Reiner even asks Armin what he knows about Eren's titan when they're supposed to be preparing to get rid of the 7 titans in the storage house. I believe that's around chapter 10-ish, and I'll be reviewing that in the manga soon. I bet that will be straight from canon.
 

Bandreus

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
163
Reaction score
38
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
True, I did remember saying last time not to use anime evidences and such things since we still don't know whether they're following the manga totally or not...XD
It's fine, really. I'm very interested into anime-manga differences myself. For instance, how they opted to show R&B&A in ep2, which I found very interesting.

It's just we can't be sure how significant those changes are, so I'm kind of wondering myself. But if it ends up with additions to the anime being confirmed to be canon/retcon, some of the changes in there might actually be very relevant to a few aspects of the overall plot. I guess we'll know in ~3 more months.
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Just a bit info on something really dumb

Isayama's blog is getting spam bombed with hate messages through out the day

and it's turned into a battle ground between nationalistic Koreans and nationalistic Japanese.

It started with South Korean IT magazine etnews column claiming that Shingeki no Kyojin is a blatant Japanese Nationalistic propaganda and it's a reflection of Abe administration's right-wing agenda, and that militaristic survivalist nature of the world is characterized by Japanese wish to re-arm themselves and the Titans are clearly representation of China.

Yeah. Pretty batshit insane article.

But then some nationalists in South Korea echoed it and they bombed the shit out of Isayama's blog.
Then the word got around and attracted right-wing Japanese to come and argue, resulting in a shitstorm not unlike youtube video comments.

Fucking crazy people.

There are logical, reasonable comments from both Japanese and Koreans decrying the pointless and misfired criticism, but they get buried by insurmountable pile of shit posts. Because that's what shit posters do, they spam.
Not content with just spamming his blog with bullshit, now some people spamming (in a very awkward Japanese) death threats to the author, specifying date of when he'll commit the crime, mocking the authorities saying the Japanese police are too incompetent to catch him, etc. And spamming hundreds of it.
 

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2013
Messages
2,142
Reaction score
1,307
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Oh my god that's terrible. To be honest I noticed what seemed like a building allegory to the Japanese right wingers' desire to remilitarize (and kick out foreigners, etc.) when I saw the first episode (before I started reading the manga), but I decided to reserve judgment until I had a better idea of where the series was going. I'm undecided at this point as to whether the allegory still applies but now we have titans aside from Eren that are very possibly going to turn out to be "good guys," and things aren't so black and white anymore so it doesn't matter anyway. Isayama's won me over, pretty much.

Thanks for letting us know! Maybe I'll go write a supportive post in Japanese. I hope the reasonable Chinese and Koreans will explain there is more to this series to the batshit nutty ones so they'll stfu. Do you have a link to the page or your source?
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,673
Reaction score
61,375
Gender
Male
Country
France
Victiom of his popularity...

Thanks for letting us know! Maybe I'll go write a supportive post in Japanese. I hope the reasonable Chinese and Koreans will explain there is more to this series to the batshit nutty ones so they'll stfu. Do you have a link to the page or your source?
Not content with just spamming his blog with bullshit, now some people spamming (in a very awkward Japanese) death threats to the author, specifying date of when he'll commit the crime, mocking the authorities saying the Japanese police are too incompetent to catch him, etc. And spamming hundreds of it.

I guess it's what will happen if you do it. I doubt many persons will read it, they should just stop to feed the troll. I don't follow news so, can someone explain me what are the similarities between SnK and that Abe Administration?
 
Last edited:

Yumpo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2013
Messages
364
Reaction score
186
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Been seeing those threats lately on Isayama's blog comments too. Ignore those kind of things. Though what I'm scared is that SnK would be the next Kuroko no Basuke if it escalates further. You know how most of the conventions(or something similar) that supposedly featured Kuroko no Basuke was removed from the list or something like that because of bomb threats on all that stuff.
 

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
2,560
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I noticed the issue a while back when people are discussing about that on 2ch. I didn't take the matter too seriously since there were understanding Koreans among the bunch. But spamming on Isayama's blog has just gone way too far.

I won't comment too much on the issue, other than it being simply effing stupid to forcibly relate apples to shaving foam. Shaving foam is not fucking edible, so stop eating that.

I think rather than to defend Isayama's ground, I'd give him support instead. Isayama doesn't need defending. He is in NO WRONG whatsoever. The certain trolls don't need to be told shut up either, because they won't listen and it would only add fuel to fire. Keep in mind Japanese people usually like to keep things peaceful (Japanese Internet is slightly different, but their general culture emphasises on peace kept even if it were only on the surface. It sounds rude to blurt out too much whether you're in the right or wrong. I won't be going on there talking to the trolls. Arguments are pointless over the Internet anyways. I'll be going on there to give Isayama support.)

I think the simple message saying, "Isayama-sensei, please keep up your work. We fully support you and look forward to Volumes when they get released overseas" is amazing enough as support.

Please consider my point and provide Isayama-sensei the well-deserved support from us, the overseas fan base.
 
Top