Mag Talk - Shonen Jump/Jump SQ - FAQ | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Shonen Jump/Jump SQ - FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Here is to answer the most common questions about Weekly Shounen Jump (WSJ) & Jump SQ

Weekly Shounen Jump

Q: What is Weekly Shounen Jump?
A: Weekly Shounen Jump (WSJ) is a manga compilation magazine (various series in a single magazine). In Japan, its main target audience is boys aged 12-18, although its popularity reaches over that boundary. Certain Jump series are particularly popular with girls aged 16-23 in Japan...

Q: Is it really popular?
A: Yes, it is. It has always been one of the most popular magazines in Japan, with total sales reaching up to 3 million copies per week. As of 2007, WSJ is once again, the most popular manga magazine in Japan.

Q: How much does it cost?
A: The price varies from 230 to 250 yen in Japan, depending on any extra content. Beacuse it's weekly, the price may also flucuate with market conditions. As of 2008, the average price of an issue is 240yen, including Japan's 5% tax.

Q: When is it released in Japan?
A: It is released every Monday in the Japanese market.

Q: How about the RAWs found here?
A: The RAWs you find here are earlier than the Japanese market. For example, when you get a RAW for a title on Friday, that particular chapter is actually due out on the following Monday in the Japanese market.

Q: Why does that happen?
A: That happens both locally (in Japan) and internationally, for the same reason. Most bookstores will get their stock before the weekend so that they can go on the shelf on Monday, both in Japan and overseas. So, stores in remote or rural locations in Japan will receive their stock much earlier than stores in the city. Some of these stores, especially the ones overseas, will sell them earlier than they are supposed to (Monday, Japan time). Thus, the WSJ issue beats the release date, and is available for purchase.

Q: What is a "double issue"?
A: A double issue doesn't mean that the contents are doubled. During four particular weeks of the year, Japan celebrates major holidays and festivities, for example, the Golden Week in May. These are the only times where the mangaka get a break, so the magazine also goes on break for a week. When this happens, the preceeding issue is a "double issue". So, a double issue means the magazine is meant for a 2-week period, which implies that there will be no WSJ issue in the following week.

Q: Do you know when a double issue will be out?
A: Refer to the list below for the general release dates. Actual dates vary from year to year.

• Issue #04-05 (3rd week of December) --> No WSJ in last week of December (End of Year)
  • Issue #06-07 (first week of January) --> No WSJ in 2nd week of January (New Year)
  • Issue #22-23 (last week of April) --> No WSJ in 1st week of May (Golden Week)
  • Issue #36-37 or #37-38 (first week of August) --> No WSJ in 2nd week of August (Obon week)

Q: Why does a series not appear in a WSJ issue sometimes?
A: Sometimes the mangaka takes a break from drawing due to various reasons. The most common of these are, "research study", which means he could be on a trip to gather information about the setting of a manga (e.g. watching an actual sports game for sports manga), or he could be plotting/developing ideas for the series, or it could even be health-related, etc. When this happens, usually the series will be replaced by a one shot for that particular week.

Q: What are the series currently running in WSJ?
A: Refer to this list. From there, you can also find links to raws, translations and Edited Mangas. (Note: This is an automatically generated list based on releases available on MH. However, MH has one of the most complete release archive for WSJ manga, so it tends to be accurate for the most part.)

Q: Are there any other official publications in other countries?
A: Yes. It is officially published in the following countries (local names in brackets)Q: Are they published weekly too?
A: No. The overseas editions are published monthly, and may not include only Jump manga. They are usually also far behind the current series/chapters.

Jump SQ

Q: What is Jump SQ?
A: Jump SQ is a new magazine by Shueisha that began in 2007. It replaced the magazine, Monthly Shounen Jump.

Q: How much does it cost?
A: The price is 500 yen in Japan, including the 5% Japanese tax. This is the typical price of monthly manga magazines in Japan.

Q: When is it released?
A: Jump SQ is released on the 4th of every month, unless that day is a holiday. In such cases, it'll be released on the next working day.

Q: What series are currently running in SQ?
A: Refer HERE (wikipedia) or this list (Mangahelpers) for links to raws, translations and Edited Mangas.

Feel free to ask any related general questions. No "will this XXX series be published in SJ/SQ?" questions please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mel_Luvz_Anime

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
You know I really like Jump SQ, they have some really cool new series in there. Look forward to it, too bad it's only once a month though.

rtyd1

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how to get weekly jump in the UK

bax

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Your best bet would be your local bookstore. Try asking them if they have it in stock.

I would suggest you try Forbidden Planet.

honeybunch

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your best bet would be your local bookstore. Try asking them if they have it in stock.

I would suggest you try Forbidden Planet.
If I'm correct, though, the Shounen Jump you find in most bookstores will be the English version, which will carry different series, and will probably be behind in the series it does carry.

Well, that's how it is in the US, anyway. Still, I'd imagine that Shounen Jump UK would be similar.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy it, I'm just saying that you shouldn't expect to find exactly the same thing you would in the Japanese Shounen Jump.

bax

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Hmm, perhaps you look at the wrong item? Since I know some people in the US still can buy the Japanese Shonen Jump, the very same edition that is released in Japan. Nothing altered. They even get it a few days early than the Japanese due to early shipment.

honeybunch

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm, perhaps you look at the wrong item? Since I know some people in the US still can buy the Japanese Shonen Jump, the very same edition that is released in Japan. Nothing altered. They even get it a few days early than the Japanese due to early shipment.
Ah, okay. Apparently we're thinking of different things.

In America (I don't know about other countries), they also sell an American version. Everything is in English, but they only print the most popular series from SJ's history, and they're often very far behind.

I didn't realize that you could find the Japanese Shounen Jump in book stores. Oh well, wouldn't do me any good anyway, since I don't read Japanese.

hatsuharupeace

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Do you know whether or not Shounen Jump (American Version) is going to be released in Australia?

bax

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I'm pretty sure if it's going to be an official release, they would make it an Australian version of SJ. However, if you are looking for the American version, then the only means are either you order it to be shipped to you from America (if they have that service) or buy it from your local bookstore (if they import and sell it).

However, SJ is officially published in the following countries (local names in brackets):But all of the above versions are published monthly instead of weekly.

Last edited:

haya5h1

RAW Provider
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Do you know whether or not Shounen Jump (American Version) is going to be released in Australia?
You could check with the Sydney Kinokuniya. The Kuala Lumpur Kinokuniya gets both the Japanese Weekly Jump (1 week after release in Japan) and US Shonen Jump (I never checked, but I'm guessing they're probably one or two months late.)

Last edited:

Mel_Luvz_Anime

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Actually it would be good if Kinokuniya had it. I know they release the same version of Lala magazine that's in Japan, so I'm guessing they would have SJ, I think maybe you should look for it.

rtyd1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I'm correct, though, the Shounen Jump you find in most bookstores will be the English version, which will carry different series, and will probably be behind in the series it does carry.

Well, that's how it is in the US, anyway. Still, I'd imagine that Shounen Jump UK would be similar.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy it, I'm just saying that you shouldn't expect to find exactly the same thing you would in the Japanese Shounen Jump.
Thank you,
However I was trying to get Japanese Weekly Shonen Jump in the UK
There isn't a UK SJ only the only one in english is the US version as far as i know
It's not sold anywhere in the UK i think but i haven't tried Forbidden Planet yet.
The US Shonen Jump and the Japapnese Weekly Shonen Jump are completely different magazines as one is released monthly in english and has to be translated which takes time and is for the US only

zidane

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Germany (BANZAI!)
that's not cerrect anymore...the magazine BANZAI isn't released anymore...
it stopped 2 years ago, in december 2005...after 50 months, and 50 releases...

and i'd love to have SJ here...but it's not really possible in germany...well, if you don't have a lot of money...

Reactions: bax

cacwoody

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
which stores? and how much are they? is there someway i could subscribe to it and have it shipped to me?

bax

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
It differs from store to store, not by franchises. But you can try asking your local Kinokuniya, Shinseido or Asahiya (or any other bookstores or specialty shops). Some local stores do sell it early, despite whatever franchise they may be.

As for subscriptions, it depends on that particular bookstore, see if they offer delivery to just their local areas or nationwide service. Try to contact them (that particular bookstore).

cacwoody

Reaction score
Country
United States
no no thats not what i meant.. i mean can i subscribe directly from jump? like the stores do.

bax

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
The last time I heard, they don't even have subscription to even the local Japanese anymore (even though I'm still waiting for a confirmation on that). That's from Shueisha to local Japanese. If that's the case, then shipping internationally by the company to personal customer is pretty much non-existent. The only way I can see is: Shueisha --> local bookstore --> you. Yeah again, it's the local bookstore :tem

However, it could differ for the stores. I don't know if there are any stores in Japan offering the service directly, but it is entirely possible for the store to send you a copy of it, that is if they have the service. But yeah, for it to arrive.... it could take you long....

cacwoody

Reaction score
Country
United States
so people who live in japan cannot even get subscriptions? that doesnt make sense...well i checked those stores you listed, but there are none of them in Bakersfield. ok well then, how would a store go about subscribing from shueisha? i looked at there site but google will only translate so much :p

Last edited:

kirimi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Well, there's no real need for a subscription service in Japan, because you can buy the weekly manga magazines (such as Weekly Shounen Jump) at any newstand or convenience stores. There's one in every corner, and in every train station.

A bookstore would bring the magazines in from Japan through their distributors, just like any store brings in magazines from any other country. A manga magazine is no different from a magazine about cars, or fashion, or basketball. ^_^

To subscribe to WSJ through a store online, you can try these:
Sasuga Bookstore ($444 for one yr, including postage within USA = ~48 issues)
Fujisan Online Store ($2.50 per issue, not including postage)

Very expensive, I know. ^^; But, these are the only two places I know, off-hand.

cacwoody

Reaction score
Country
United States
lol nevermind. i dont want it anymore. i was under the impression that japan got jump the monday before we get raws on thursday-ish. not the monday after. so we really are getting it extremely early :p i feel retarded

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.