Discussion Shoujo/Josei Mangaka

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Let's talk about the mangaka of these romantic and heart-warming shoujo and josei titles. Tell us some names you really like, adore, or respect. It can be because he/she has great graphic, or brilliant plot, or anything else. Maybe you found this mangaka, liked one of his/her work, and decided to check out all his/her works no matter what! That happens to me with CLAMP and Tanemura Arina before, lol.

And while we are at it... Is there really any "he" among shoujo/josei mangaka? XD I just thought that since this is kind of "girls area", girls are dominant. So it'll be cool to see more male shoujo/josei mangaka, especially if he's successful.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Hmm, usually if I see anything by Fuyumi Souryo I know it's worth reading. Even if it doesn't get a perfect 10 score, I know it was at least given thought- you know, not the generic type.

There's Yazawa Ai too: Nana and Paradise Kiss, very famous works.
 

yukihime03

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 5, 2011
Messages
4,649
Reaction score
1,475
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Indonesia
My fav shoujo mangaka will be Akizuki Sorata and Suzuki Julietta, I think. I really like their story and artwork. I also like CLAMP, for their amazing details, but I'm still recovering from their story of TRC so I won't read any of their manga for a while. I also like Hino Matsuri for the same reason I like CLAMP, but after Vampire Knight, I'm not sure whether I'm going to read any of her work either. Minami Maki, Hatori Bisco, and Yuki Kure are some mangaka I like.

Now that you mention, I also think I never encounter any male shoujo mangaka... :blink
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I liked Minami Maki but I don't think she has any more works other than Special A?
 

windy van

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
99
Reaction score
17
Gender
Hidden
Country
Indonesia
Waahh, I have so much favorite mangakas. They are CLAMP, Yoshino Aki, Watase Yuu, George Asakura, Yazawa Ai, Ikuemi Ryou, Ashihara Hinako, Tamura Yumi, Suetsugu Yuki, Ninomiya Tomoko, Minamori Koyomi, Koyama Yukari, Souryo Fuyumi, and Fuka Mizutani. La la la.. And those are not all.. :XD

I like them because their story give some mature feeling, not to mention all their works are relatively realistic, heartwarming and meaningful. Their art is good as well, love them very much:), and most of their works have strong female lead! This is a big big plus, as I feel so frustated reading manga with weak female lead. Oh, I like Soon Ki too, she have only 1 work by now though, and I started to like Ishihara Keiko and stalking all her works now. Her art is gorgeous. :D

As for male shoujo mangaka, isn't DNAngel mangaka is a guy? I've read about it somewhere before.
 

yukihime03

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 5, 2011
Messages
4,649
Reaction score
1,475
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Indonesia
I liked Minami Maki but I don't think she has any more works other than Special A?
There is another work of her that's quite known, Seiyuu-Ka.
 

stephen12

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 12, 2014
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Let's talk about the mangaka of these romantic and heart-warming shoujo and josei titles. Tell us some names you really like, adore, or respect. It can be because he/she has great graphic, or brilliant plot, or anything else. Maybe you found this mangaka, liked one of his/her work, and decided to check out all his/her works no matter what! That happens to me with CLAMP and Tanemura Arina before, lol.

And while we are at it... Is there really any "he" among shoujo/josei mangaka? XD I just thought that since this is kind of "girls area", girls are dominant. So it'll be cool to see more male shoujo/josei mangaka, especially if he's successful.
CLAMP :verily I like it too..
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
hi stephen12. welcome to MH! you might want to elaborate why you like CLAMP?
 

stephen12

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 12, 2014
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hmmm.. why I like CLAMP? Firstly, the drawing itself.. How the artists draw it.. they are really good. Then, the story. I like the stories they made and it seems very interesting to me :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

hikochan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
11
Reaction score
6
Gender
Female
Country
United States
SHOUJO ARTISTS:
Arina Tanemura - her art is pretty. Have you even seen the details in her drawings? Not A-grade but dang sun so nice. Her stories are meh to me.

Matsuri Hino - again, art is totes amazing. Much better than Tanemura's. Some of her works are good, like MeruPuri and other oneshots. Stay away from Vampire Knight, that series' ending was too fan-biased from what I've heard. Pissed me off even though it's been more more than 5 years ever since I last read it.

Youko Maki - my goddess! Her art is just the beeeeeeeeeeeeeest. Even more than Tanemura's or Matsuri's. It's like rainbows farting, in art style. So nice. Her stories are totally interesting as well though some endings are a bit of downers. I've read most of her works. Aishiteruze Baby is her most known work. Recommend that one. Shouri no Akuma, Yamamoto Zenjirou to Moushimasu, Atashi wa Bambi, Taranta Ranta, etc. She's currently working on two series with her sister, Mochida Aki. One is Zenzen (story by Youko Maki, art by Mochida Aki) and Pika Ichi (vice versa). She has an ongoing series called Romantica Clock, and tbh, her style in this one isn't my cup of tea anymore (her previous art style was more beautiful) so I don't really have an opinion on that one.

Aya Nakahara - You need to stop whatever you're doing and go read Lovely Complex. One of the best shoujo series I've ever watched and read, but mostly read. It's one of those manga that can affect your whole outlook on life, it did for me. But anyways, her art isn't really attractive at first but it's one of those that you get used to once you read more of their work and begins to grow on you. Now, I freaking love her art. Her stories are amazing as well. AH-MAY-ZING. She's put her own twist to shoujo cliches. PLUS. Her jokes in her manga are humorous, it's always the humor that gets me. But anyways, aside from LoveCom, you should try reading Nanaco Robin, Junjou Drop, Benkyou Shinasai!, and basically anything with that name. So nice, humooooooor <3

And I think we all agree that CLAMP is amazing, the goddesses of the shoujo world omg.

JOSEI ARTISTS:
Enjouji Maki - My queen in the josei department. Her guys are hot hot like tater tots dang sun level. Well, for me that is. But anyways, her stories are amazing as well. As expected of josei protagonists, her protagonists tend to not take anybody's carp when given. Well, there are some times when they do but hey, at least they're not like doormat protagonists like some shoujo protagonists ugh. Most of her work has some smut in it but so nicely done A+++ for you Enjouji Maki. Recommended works are mostly everything. Private Prince, Hapi Mari, Atashi wa sore wo gaman dekinai, and her ongoing one, Dear Brother, which I've put on hold cause I don't like cliffhangers. They're the bane of my existence.

I had more josei artists but I'm blanking out right now... I'll probably edit this post once I've remembered them.
 
Last edited:
Top