Signature & Avatar Guidelines | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Signature & Avatar Guidelines

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
The 170px is more of a guideline for you. Sometimes, if it is not intrusive, we allow a little bit bigger image. It has been like that for as long as I can remember.

As for your case, I'll allow it. Although it's 198, it's still within the max are 200 (originally meant for image + text), and because the size is so small on pixels and kBs, I would say that it is justified.

Kakou

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

jodi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Sorry, but I really didn't like the signature rules.
It kinda make me do not want a signature at all :(
of course this is my business and the forum isn't mine, but I am a user and I guess I can give my opinion?

Maybe you can ask in vbulletin's forums about how to not let images in spoiler tags be automatic downloaded by browsers?
or, ask the users what they think about it? like a poll or whatever

I say this because its like you all want us to have the same signature style...

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well, the question would be: what is a signature to you?

A signature is originally "a block of text automatically appended at the bottom of an e-mail message, Usenet article, or forum post. This has the effect of "signing off" the message."

If you want to present yourself - your thoughts, arts, feelings, jokes and wisdom - in a way that extends our current rules, then I can only advise people to set up a homepage for this and link to it. A signature sure is a artistic way to give a small info about you but in no way should it replace a homepage, gallery or userprofile.

It's like a business card in reallife - not a three pages long CV and not a well designed artist portfolio and as such limited in size and content to a handy card format. We had a long discussion about this matter with the staff and decided to turn back a little to the basics of a signature because we don't want to let it develop into a second userprofile or gallery here at MH.

Last edited:

jodi

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Well, the question would be: what is a signature to you?

A signature is originally "a block of text automatically appended at the bottom of an e-mail message, Usenet article, or forum post. This has the effect of "signing off" the message."

If you want to present yourself - your thoughts, arts, feelings, jokes and wisdom - in a way that extends our current rules, then I can only advise people to set up a homepage for this and link to it. A signature sure is a artistic way to give a small info about you but in no way should it replace a homepage, gallery or userprofile.

It's like a business card in reallife - not a three pages long CV and not a well designed artist portfolio and as such limited in size and content to a handy card format. We had a long discussion about this matter with the staff and decided to turn back a little to the basics of a signature because we don't want to let it develop into a second userprofile or gallery here at MH.
yeah, I agree with you that signature were not made to be a profile of someone, but its a choice to let it be cool or not

I say this more about the spoiler tags
all you said stops at spoiler tags.
The users must click on it to show other stuff, so, its a choice...

It was cool to open spoiler tags to see what the user likes and the cool images that it could have there

well, its just my thoughts, but as you said, you don't want to it to be different, you want it to be default somehow, its your choice as it is your board. I just wanted to give my opinion that it is just not cool. xD

cya

bax

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
First of all, let me clear one thing that many people are mistaken. Putting a pic under a spoiler tag DO NOT reduce the load time. The image is still loaded together with the page. The only thing the spoiler tag does is to hide the image from showing on page load. That's all.

True, to click the spoiler tag is a choice. But to load a page without it, it's not a choice. Unless that person disables signatures all together in his/her profile, and we don't want to have anyone had to do that just because there are a bunch of people who aren't considerate by putting large images in their sigs.

Many people have abused the spoiler tags in signatures. Large images, both in pixels and/or kB, are always found under them.

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany
its a choice to let it be cool or not
You can let it be cool within the given limits. There are so many ways to design a cool signature pic with a funny quote under it.

It was cool to open spoiler tags to see what the user likes and the cool images that it could have there
That's what the "Vist user's homepage" feature is for, imho. Following the link, you can show and see unlimited creative minds at work :amuse

You know, I think MH is already very userfriendly here. Personally I don't like the endless signatures on others boards, that's simply not what a forum is for. On the hand, I'm modding on a second forum and there we have a limit to 250 characters and no images at all allowed. MH goes a nice middle way, not to much limited to be creative and not to much allowed to disturb the reading flow or to slow down the loading time of 56k users.

Last edited:

jodi

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
First of all, let me clear one thing that many people are mistaken. Putting a pic under a spoiler tag DO NOT reduce the load time. The image is still loaded together with the page. The only thing the spoiler tag does is to hide the image from showing on page load. That's all.

True, to click the spoiler tag is a choice. But to load a page without it, it's not a choice. Unless that person disables signatures all together in his/her profile, and we don't want to have anyone had to do that just because there are a bunch of people who aren't considerate by putting large images in their sigs.

Many people have abused the spoiler tags in signatures. Large images, both in pixels and/or kB, are always found under them.
Yeah, the spoiler tags should have an argument like autoloadimg=false

You can let it be cool within the given limits. There are so many ways to design a cool signature pic with a funny quote under it.

That's what the "Vist user's homepage" feature is for, imho. Following the link, you can show and see unlimited creative minds at work :amuse

You know, I think MH is already very userfriendly here. Personally I don't like the endless signatures on others boards, that's simply not what a forum is for. On the hand, I'm modding on a second forum and there we have a limit to 250 characters and no images at all allowed. MH goes a nice middle way, not to much limited to be creative and not to much allowed to disturb the reading flow or to slow down the loading time of 56k users.
Ya, but I doubt that you or bax don't click spoiler tags on forums... IMHO it is just cool xD

pop_swe

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
"If your sig is bigger than this, you're clearly overcompensating for something." AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA aahhhh... thx Mangahelpers for a nice laugh, now i have something funny to think about for the rest of the day :)

onno

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
forget it.

i've got it now.

Silver_Archer

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I can't seem to get my signature to work at all. First I tried to use an image that is 550x166 pixels and 26 kb in size. It showed up on the preview on my user CP, but not on any of my posts. Then I tried a text only signature (one sentence only) as a test, but even that did not show up on any of my posts. Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:

bax

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Silver_Archer,

Try this guide, if you still can't, then post here again :)
http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22933

Just make sure you have the [noparse][/noparse] code in your sig, since that code is representing your signature :)

--------------
Just in case, check your settings whether you unticked the "show signature" box.

HERE > Visible Post Elements

Last edited:

kaylee

mousou mashiin
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Also make sure that when you post a message, the checkbox "Show your signature" is selected. (It's in the bottom right corner of the quick reply and under "misc options" in the advanced reply).

shinsengumi

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
can somebody help me..i'm trying to use a gif avatar but the animation doesn't play : / i think it's because the size is 82x113 .i read it in the faq that if it's bigger than 100x100 only the first frame will show and the animation won't be able to play. so here is the problem,i don't know how to resize a gif,i mean i don't have any software capable of this. can somebody help me with it? here is the gif i want to resize. if anybody can do it for me and p.m. to me afterwards or just tell me how to do it,i would be most grateful

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Here you go:

I already added it as your avatar to see if there's any problem. But seems not to be ^^

plutie

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
*update* now it works.. Thx for all the info.

Lucifiel

Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Hi, one question:

Is it allowed to link to your group's recruitment thread in your signature? I just read through all the 4 pages of this thread, the MH Rules thread and I'm still unsure about that.

I apologise for this question 'cos I haven't been a frequent user of MH and might have already flouted one of the rules. :facepalm

eni

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Yeah, that's fine. We want groups to promote themself, so you can link to your group profile, recruitment and/or ask-us thread in your sig, of course.

A decent link to your external group website is no problem either, just don't let your sig look like a commercial (we have a advertisment forum for that) or like aggressively fishing members for a different community and most importantly: no money/profit-related links :amuse

Lucifiel

Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Thanks a lot, dear, for clarifying that. :)

kenjiharima

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi guys new here. Well actually I lurk here, decided to join up after talking with GrrDraxin on another forum.

Just wanna ask are my siggy and avy ok?