Simple Shading Tutorial with Paint Tool SAI

nat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
3,979
Reaction score
2,132
Gender
Female
Country
Bermuda
I was talking with my dear friend Weapon_X who has some trouble with shading without a tablet, so I made a simple tutorial :).

I usually don't use vector for shading. But I use the same method with ink pen instead.
Both ways get the job done :D.

Hope it's useful and easy to understand.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

 
Last edited:

portgas d.ace

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 9, 2009
Messages
33
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
hi...

thx for the explain...

but i have one question...what the name of the program you used in work??
 
  • Like
Reactions: nat

-Ren Boy-

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
2,679
Reaction score
700
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Weapon should be grateful if he is not i'm going to beat him up lol.

awww nat is doing something nice oioi, please tell me your only internet friends and not any thing more :p

it is a good tutorial, im going to TRY to to it with this small laptop tablet wannabe lol
 
  • Like
Reactions: nat

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
good that i have a tablet:pleased

anyway very nice tutorial and it should help everyone who has problems with that
good job my germansister:hug
 
  • Like
Reactions: nat

VASSiLi

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2007
Messages
2,479
Reaction score
4,011
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
So do u use SAI and not Photoshop? Imho the second one is better, btw thank you for sharing this tutorial :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: nat

- aMt -

Artist
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
3,093
Reaction score
517
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
haha I will not lie ..

I can't read this porue my English is shit, but I believe it is very useful for those who need it.

Thank you.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nat

Weapon_X

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Messages
3,314
Reaction score
2,611
Gender
Male
Country
England
WOW! NAT! IF ONLY I COULD SPAM "thanks" THIS INFINITE TIMES!

Woop woop! :amuse Finally, a tutorial I can understand properly LOL Extra, extra thanks to you. :)

I saved the tutorial, now I can use it without going on MH all the time. :amuse

Hehe any chance there will be an "advanced" shariding tutorial? :XD
 
  • Like
Reactions: nat

nat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
3,979
Reaction score
2,132
Gender
Female
Country
Bermuda
hi...

thx for the explain...

but i have one question...what the name of the program you used in work??
I use Paint Tool SAI, http://sai.detstwo.com/sai/ , it's a program made for young japanese artists but developed into a something a bit more. If you wanna try it, the first month is free.
It's the only program I bought (50 dollars), since well I like it and it's cheap ^^

Weapon should be grateful if he is not i'm going to beat him up lol.

awww nat is doing something nice oioi, please tell me your only internet friends and not any thing more :p

it is a good tutorial, im going to TRY to to it with this small laptop tablet wannabe lol
he is grateful, but you were the one who sent me awaiiiiiii..Ok so I left after I saw TDA and tried to blame it on you ^^
lol
we are internet friends. :D

Good luck and let me know if it works!
good that i have a tablet:pleased

anyway very nice tutorial and it should help everyone who has problems with that
good job my germansister:hug
:glomp
I hope so, I put it as simple as I can. Hey Googlez, you know I always loved your language? the sound of it :luv

So do u use SAI and not Photoshop? Imho the second one is better, btw thank you for sharing this tutorial :)

I use both actually ^^, I make all the coloring in SAI and then move to PS to make image treatment and effects. I tried cell shade in PS, it was good but a long process compared to SAI. And me being lazy, chose SAI for colors.


haha I will not lie ..

I can't read this porue my English is shit, but I believe it is very useful for those who need it.

Thank you.
:wtf, I'm sorry I put too much text, but you amt...you don't need a tutorial, lol. you're awesome.
Thanks for the support :luv

WOW! NAT! IF ONLY I COULD SPAM "thanks" THIS INFINITE TIMES!

Woop woop! :amuse Finally, a tutorial I can understand properly LOL Extra, extra thanks to you. :)

I saved the tutorial, now I can use it without going on MH all the time. :amuse

Hehe any chance there will be an "advanced" shariding tutorial? :XD

awesome! Funny I always wanted to do a tutorial but was too lazy. This time it started with a single picture and developed into a decent tut. soo happy, thank you Alex. I'm really glad it can be of help.

I tried to explain everything since you are new to the software, but if you don't understand anything or I missed a big chunk of explaination let me know.

The advanced tutorial would require too much effort at the moment, I'll make when the need arises...:D
 
Last edited:

Weapon_X

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Messages
3,314
Reaction score
2,611
Gender
Male
Country
England
awesome! Funny I always wanted to do a tutorial but was too lazy. This time it started with a single picture and developed into a decent tut. soo happy, thank you Alex. I'm really glad it can be of help.

I tried to explain everything since you are new to the software, but if you don't understand anything or I missed a big chunk of explaination let me know.

The advanced tutorial would require too much effort at the moment, I'll make when the need arises...:D
Yeah it's the easiest tutorial to understand. Though colouring manga does take a long time though. :blink

I was just wondering, I was shading and I am doing it by brush. Is that the correct way to shade? I'm doing it manually and it takes ages and you have to becareful not to go over the edges. For example, I'm colouring the sky but I gotta becareful not to go over the clouds etc, I had to zoom 1000% LOL

With Paintshop you can select a part and use the brush there without going over the edges. Is there a way with SAI?
 

nat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
3,979
Reaction score
2,132
Gender
Female
Country
Bermuda
Brush, pen, vector anything is correct to make the perimeter closed. It's also good to choose a tool you're comfortable with.

wand tool (click w :D, if it doesn't work go to tutorial, I showed where the wand and select tool are).

If the lines are close then it does successfully select the region. If not, you have to close them with the brush, or pen or any small tool you by continuing the line.

Once you select a region you can brush inside, or fill, or put anything you want and it won't effect the outside of the chosen area.
 

Weapon_X

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Messages
3,314
Reaction score
2,611
Gender
Male
Country
England
I did use the want tool but when I select a region on the pic, the WHOLE pic turns blue. It's the same Minato pic.
 

nat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
3,979
Reaction score
2,132
Gender
Female
Country
Bermuda
just a sec







This is the wand panel. It shows how sensitive the color/line selection is
try changing to lower numbers, otherwise it will choose the entire image :)
 

Weapon_X

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Messages
3,314
Reaction score
2,611
Gender
Male
Country
England
Wow, thanks Nat. ^_^
 

nat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
3,979
Reaction score
2,132
Gender
Female
Country
Bermuda
I see it worked...awesome
 

Orochimaru

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2006
Messages
2,468
Reaction score
492
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
nice tuto nat :D
^^
 
  • Like
Reactions: nat

Egaki 21

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
567
Reaction score
134
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
nice tuto i understand every step ^^
 
  • Like
Reactions: nat

QianQian

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2006
Messages
138
Reaction score
44
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
OvO I like SAI's palette mixer! Maybe I should give SAI a try.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nat

nat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
3,979
Reaction score
2,132
Gender
Female
Country
Bermuda
Oro, Thank you so much XD

Thanks Egaki! It's honor to hear you say that ^^

Qian, yeah color mixer is :luv
actually SAI has many things that can be passed as :luv
 

goldenhans

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2008
Messages
116
Reaction score
112
Gender
Male
Country
El Salvador
The explanation of each step is excellent, thanks for the tuto nat =)
 
  • Like
Reactions: nat

nat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
3,979
Reaction score
2,132
Gender
Female
Country
Bermuda
No problem Hans, I hope it's useful ^^
 
Top