Shounen Sket Dance by Shinohara Kenta

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Sket Dance Discussion - new WSJ series

I like this manga how it is, screw arcs. :P
At the moment okay, but can a manga survive on one chapter's based stories? Well reborn did for a long time but is doing long arcs. I can't sey for sure but I think maison de penguin was something like that too.

I am suprised how these short stories are well done. Hello. Would it be easy to make such good short stories in let us say 17-19 pages average? Well I don't think so, but at the moment all those stories were indeed wise (damned, belgian dialect translation: wanna say funny :D).

Do you really hate arcs?
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Sket Dance Discussion - new WSJ series

to love ru had great popularity at times. and shit at others. and that doesn't even knoiw what an arc IS!

but i can imagine some good multiple chapter storys for the sket dan
 

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Sket Dance Discussion - new WSJ series

I don't hate arcs, but I don't think Sket Dance has any use for them. At the most maybe longer stories, but "arc" means like 5-10 volumes. Which would suck all the fun out of this.

Anyway, the 4th chapter wasn't that great; but still sorta witty with the frisk mints xD
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Sket Dance Discussion - new WSJ series

I don't hate arcs, but I don't think Sket Dance has any use for them. At the most maybe longer stories, but "arc" means like 5-10 volumes. Which would suck all the fun out of this.

Anyway, the 4th chapter wasn't that great; but still sorta witty with the frisk mints xD
true a long 3-4 chapter story would be good. But imo the fourth chapter was better than the third chapter. But that's just opinions.

For me the monkey chap is still the best one :D
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Sket Dance Discussion - new WSJ series

New manga like this really interest me. Imagine how it could end up (short stories or long arcs?). Chapter 5 looks like the first sign of plot, at least for a small arc.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Sket Dance Discussion - new WSJ series

New manga like this really interest me. Imagine how it could end up (short stories or long arcs?). Chapter 5 looks like the first sign of plot, at least for a small arc.
Yes indeed though I expect it to end next chapter or the chapter after that. I wonder if there is some history between those girls
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Sket Dance Discussion Thread

Well I just finished reading chapter 8. It was good. Does anyone think the story will continue next week or will the manga explore the story after?
 

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Sket Dance Discussion Thread

What's funny is that "sket" is a Caribbean term for a super ho.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Sket Dance Discussion Thread

That is kinda ironic XD This seems like Gintama in very many ways. I (read) LOVE Gintama but its one weakness is that unless you're somewhat versed in the ways of the Samurai its sort of hard to identify with the characters. (You don't have to be an Edo expert, but it helps to know a little.) However Sket dance seems to cover that weakness with gutso. Seriously if this and Gintama can keep running in jump for a long time, i won't be so disapointed to look at the magazine.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Sket Dance Discussion Thread

this is my new 'p2' (as in it's failing horrifically, is brilliant, and needs recognition), and i'm hoping this week's TOC (with it halfway) is a sign of good things to come, as what p2 also did. the underdog's sometimes pull through, and this really deserves it

and yeah, this lives and weekly jump will be less shameful for me. originality performed well is rare.
 

ungu888

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 28, 2007
Messages
43
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Sket Dance Discussion Thread

No one translate chapter 15 and 16..

Hiks.. Hiks...
 

cnet128

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
1,507
Reaction score
5,417
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Sket Dance Discussion Thread

Just checked out Amazon, and they have a bigger image.

...It's pretty :smile-big
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Sket Dance Discussion Thread

Just read chapter 18. It was a weird one...

I'm also really interested in how the series is going to turn out. Will there be bigger and more serious cases? Fights maybe?
 

IndigoSkies

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Sket Dance Discussion Thread

My copy of the first volume arrived yesterday, and so I scanned the front/side/back along with the inside flap with a comment by the author. I wish I could scan the extra stuff (the author also has a comment page for each chapter, plus there's a page that shows the layout of the Sket-dan clubroom and a profile for Bossun) but I don't really know how to scan those without actually taking apart the book, which I don't want to do.
Here's the cover:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/StarPrincessLita/fa296b62.jpg
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Sket Dance Discussion Thread

this is still and will hopefully stay my favourite shonen jump series. and the author pic is hilarious!
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Sket Dance Discussion Thread

Chapter 21 Discussion

Wow... That chapter really surprised me at the end. I really wasn't expecting something like that. Can't wait to see how things turn out.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Sket Dance Discussion Thread

According to Japanese Wikipedia, the artist for Sket dance Shinohara Kenta used to be an assistant to Sorachi Hideaki (Gintama) himself! No wonder they both share the same sense of humor! This also totally makes me understand the Gintama vibes I get from this series.
 

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Sket Dance Discussion Thread

I put up some volume zips on my Mediafire account:
Volume 1
Volume 2

READ IT! if you haven't already.
 

adachi2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2007
Messages
144
Reaction score
5
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
Re: Sket Dance Discussion Thread

uuuoohhh thak you barbapapa :3
 
Top