Shoujo - Skip Beat! by Nakamura Yoshiki | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shoujo Skip Beat! by Nakamura Yoshiki

twile

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Title: Skip Beat!
Author: Nakamura Yoshiki
Genre: Shoujo, Drama, Comedy, Romance
Year: 2002
Publisher: Hakusensha (J), Viz Media (E)http://www.viz.com/products/products.php?series_id=441
Current Edited Manga Groups: Maximum7 and MangaStream, Mechgouki

Summary by MangaUpdates:
Kyoko Mogami is the childhood friend of superstar Sho Fuwa. Kyoko was so mindlessly in love with Sho that she followed him to the city on his quest to become a famous singer. But she soon realizes Sho was only using her as his personal maid to take care of household chores and pay for rent. Heart-broken, Kyoko won't suffer in silence--she's going to get her sweet revenge by beating Sho in show biz!

A funny and entertaining romance story of a "diamond in the rough" trying to find her place in showbiz, and the mysterious pasts of the people around her.

Babble:
This is one of my most fav shojo ever; Kyouko is just hilarious is some scenes esp when her "demons" come out. I love the fact that she didn't feel sorry for herself after she was dumped and opted to seek revenge :XD

Nakamura Yoshiki - Her heroines rock! They're not pathetic whiny little girls :D

So...Who's your fav character? Fav couple? Fav scene? Future predictions? Talk about it here.

[mod=phio_chan]The original content of this thread has been modified to present a clearer information about the series.[/mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Re: Skip Beat! - Discussion

Well, so far i've only read upto vol. 5 (if i'm not mistaken). I was really surprised when i learned that in reality it takes teh same effort like Kyouko, or perhaps more, to be an idol/actress.

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

Wow, that's a good one, Twile! You can actually talk about more on the series that you've read ;)

And Ichi read this too!!! Yeah!!! :hi5

Alright, back to topic, the demons for Kyoko, sometimes i get it, sometimes i don't. I thought they are funny, and they can be subdued too. Amazing that in some situations, a few people around Kyoko can actually feel her demonic or 'hostile' presence.

For me, my favourite character is Ren! I find him the most charming and pretentious fellow he can be! The meaning behind his megawatt smile is the best (as shown further on). :p And yes, his secretiveness, his past, up till Vol 16, there is no hint of what was really his past actually, and that is a big question question mark!

What about the rest of you? Anyone else read this yet too? :amuse

fluke32

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I just started reading it this sunday, and I gotta hand it to N.Y., She makes bad ass heroines. :D

I'm a bit sad though that the Skip Beat Group stopped Editing it, as I just got some raws for 110 waiting in one of my Word Documents. :(

Say, anyone interested in translating it?

kaloo

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Oh, I love this series. It's just a silly series and it makes me smile... I love her demons. They just freak everybody out.

hannah_nguyen123

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia

huhuhuhu, i want to read moreeeeeee, can't wait any longer. I miss Kyoko so much, Ren was so cool. how long i have to wait more? HUHUHUHUHU. My Ren and Kyouko, I miss you two so much.

melonkitty

Reaction score
Country
United States

Kyoko and Ren!

Eeek. Ren is soo cute ~

admirenkiwi

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Yay finally more ppl into it x)

tricel

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score

i love skip beat manga! i like kyoko's weirdness/over imaginative trait.,i also like the dark side of ren. i defenitely want kyoko to end up w/ his fairy prince ren/corn!

Maora

Reaction score
Country
Australia

This is a great series. I like where it is heading at the moment but I need some love scenes happening!! lol. I'm such a huge Kyoko x Ren shipper. My most favourite scene was around chapter 81 (? I think) My memory is sketchy... when Ren has to come up with his character's personality (he's a teacher in love with a student) and then such and such happens and he ends up in quite a compromising position with Kyoko. I squealed for days.

I think I like this series alot because Kyoko isn't your traditional heroine (though the mangaka has a habit of doing unconventional heroines lol) and she fights for what she believes in. I do believe though she's getting slightly angsty at times and she's quite... aloof when it comes to Ren.

I love the psychic guy... can't remember his name o.O anyone help me?

aminas

Reaction score
Country
Sweden

I want ren to make a move befor it's to late, which day does chapter 111 come out?

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

0.0 I read this in one night (all 16 volumes) and am reading 110 right now.

I just can't help but think about Kaikan Phrase (Shinjo Mayu) when I read this manga. They're VERY similar, and I haven't done any investigations though on which came first. What do you guys think?

kirimi

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy

0.0 I read this in one night (all 16 volumes) and am reading 110 right now.

I just can't help but think about Kaikan Phrase (Shinjo Mayu) when I read this manga. They're VERY similar, and I haven't done any investigations though on which came first. What do you guys think?
Hehe. Nakamura-sensei's works have that effect on me too. I can't put them down! To answer your question, Kaikan Phrase ran from 1997 to 2000. Skip Beat started in 2002. Can't comment on the similarities since I never read Kaikan Phrase (only saw the anime, which is quite different from the manga, I heard).

I want ren to make a move befor it's to late, which day does chapter 111 come out?
I think there was a break after Chapter 110, but it started again last issue.

Chapter 111 - Hana to Yume #20 (on sale 9/20)
Chapter 112 - Hana to Yume #21 (on sale 10/5) <-- current issue
Chapter 113 - Hana to Yume #22 (on sale 10/20)

I found scans for 111 (Jpn only) from this site. Uploaded a mirror here in you don't like online viewers (Mediafire). 112 should be out too, but haven't seen any scans yet.

Lastly, volume 17 releases on 10/19!

aminas

Reaction score
Country
Sweden

I think there was a break after Chapter 110, but it started again last issue.

Chapter 111 - Hana to Yume #20 (on sale 9/20)
Chapter 112 - Hana to Yume #21 (on sale 10/5) <-- current issue
Chapter 113 - Hana to Yume #22 (on sale 10/20)

I found scans for 111 (Jpn only) from this site. Uploaded a mirror here in you don't like online viewers (Mediafire). 112 should be out too, but haven't seen any scans yet.

Lastly, volume 17 releases on 10/19![/QUOTE]

thanks

calebking

Reaction score
Country
United States

I can't quite agree with the similarity between Kaikan Phase and Skip Beat. Kyoko has so much more strength and, in my opinion, personality! She fights on her own, and doesn't expect others to come to her rescue, which makes her very thankful (not in a corny way) to whoever comes through for her.

I really want Ren to be more open about his feelings, since she's still oblivious to ever having a chance with him. At the same time, I'm glad they have such a solid friendship right now.

I would love to be Kyoko's friend... there are times when her evil side is very very much like mine. I just can't eject demons to attack.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I can't quite agree with the similarity between Kaikan Phase and Skip Beat. Kyoko has so much more strength and, in my opinion, personality!
well of course, characters are different. I can't quite point what element reminds me of KP but it just rings in the back of my head while I read Skip Beat. For sure there is more development in skip beat, maybe because it has reached a hundred chapters, compared to KP as far as I've read, up to 40 chapters.

TheGothicVampiress

Reaction score
Country
England

Anyone know when chapter 114 will be out? I cant wait for her to realize that he loves her hehehehe:p

aminas

Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Anyone know when chapter 114 will be out? I cant wait for her to realize that he loves her hehehehe:p
Yeah me to, but she's soooooo slow. Or is she going to fall in love with the singer again?:darn

Ahzzy

Reaction score
Country
Finland

to me, art is extremely important in any manga. Many good mangas are screwed up due to the fact that they have horrible drawings (comapared to some other series anyway). However, this one passed my 'good enough' barrier to get it's spot to one of the best mangas I know.

Not only is the plot and manga overall excellent, it also has good art... Good enough anyway.
I don't like mangas such as ouran high school host club etc because every male character is a 'pretty boy' with sparkling eyes and look more like girls than boys. series such as hana kimi barely passed because the main character disguised as a boy and the males weren't 'pretty boy's'. Surprisingly, when she turned back to a chick, long hair etc, she became damn ugly.

anyway, if anyone can tell me the release dates of the future chapters of this series, and also, even more, other mangas with similar art, or atleast art where there are hardly any 'pretty boys' who look more like chicks than boys. I hate that sort of crap.