So what draws you in? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

So what draws you in?

tzar_93

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wassup my fellow manga readers. As a passionate manga reader I am aways intrigued to hear what draws other people in to mangas.

I for one, love mangas with a nice layout, good story progression and lots of twists and turns that really mess with my psychology and perception of life.

What draws you guys in?

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Hi!

These days what mostly suck me in, is a good script. Not so particular about the visuals, though beautiful art is always nice. Interesting and relatable characters, curious situations and surprising perspectives to things. Good character interactions are always also great bait for me - is it romance. villainy or a witty banter doesn't matter. If it is good, it is good.

tzar_93

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That’s exactly how I feel! I’m gonna ask a tricky question, what’s 3 you’d recommend to read?

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
That’s exactly how I feel! I’m gonna ask a tricky question, what’s 3 you’d recommend to read?
Just 3? That is a tough one. Depends on ones taste. But I'll throw in a few old gems I think should be must-reads for anyone.

Planetes by Yukimura Makoto. Amazing space travel story set in near future, telling the stories of trash(wo)men collecting debris on earths orbit, out of the way of commercial moonflights. Manages to build great simple character arcs and handle many interesting themes in very nice confined manner. Only 4 volumes long, sometimes less is more. Yukimuras later series, Vinland Saga, is also amazing.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki. The original comic behind the film, that plunged the fledgling mangaka permanently into the world of anime - before he became the legend he is today. Where the film just tells how Nausicaä is recognised as the chosen one of the Prophecy, the manga tells the whole story how she fulfils that role and unites the people and nature again. Far better and richer version of the story that expands the world of Nausicaä beyond what is shown in the film, and further explores the themes of war, religion and environmentalism.

Yotsuba&! by Kiyohiko Azuma. Just light hearted and pure fun about the daily life of a small girl, with quite peculiar personality. Her observations of the world and the exchanges with her father, neighbours and friends are just golden. Often a good example of mono no aware - the pathos of things. Slice of Life at it's best. No epic plot, no flashy battles or great melodrama. Just observing life and enjoying it in the moment.