Done Some questions

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
1) http://d.pr/i/FOZk That very last line, システムメッ???? can't really parse this into anything that looks like a real word. What could this be?
2) あの時蹴る方向どうしてわかったんですか? // ああ あいつ昔っからイザって時に出るクセがあんのよ オレの封印された左がどーこーよく言ってたからなー きっとそうだと思ってたね I don't really get what the character means by オレの封印された左がどーこーよく言ってたからなー The question was how she knew that the guy she's talking about would kick the ball to the left. That guy has an injury on the left side of his face that she caused a long time ago. Could that be related?
3) Referee command right before the fight ステイコーナー!!, is that "stay corner"? I don't think I've ever heard it.
 

lucifell

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 5, 2009
Messages
14
Reaction score
7
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
(1) I believe it's システム メッカ だとよ
メッカ is in this case a "centre for some field or activity" given the picture it sounds about right.

(2) This one I can't be sure of so I have a few questions:
1. The injury to the left side of his face, did it render him blind in his left eye?
2. Stupid question, but need to be sure, did the kicker and the guy with the face injury just get out of a match against each other?
3. Because of his injury, does he have a sort of weakness or blindspot on his left?

If any of the above questions are true, I believe what he MAY BE saying is "It's well known that my left side is weak, and I was sure he would try to take advantage of it" or something along those lines.

(3) Yes it's "Stay Corner". I've never heard it either, but it can only be one of those strange sayings the Japanese have when adopting English words. I know next to nothing about soccer, so can't really give you a proper answer to what it should be.

You're a better translator than I, seeing as how you can translate without Furigana ^^; so I could be completely wrong about #2, but I hope I could at least help a bit ^_^
 
Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
RE: (2) Rough translation (without context):

ああ あいつ昔っからイザって時に出るクセがあんのよ Well, he has an old habit while making an important decision.

オレの封印された左がどーこーよく言ってたからなー きっとそうだと思ってたね
He used to talk about my left side that I can't use, so I was pretty sure where he was aiming.

Why did she know?
Answers:
* She knows his habit.
* He has a habit <-- of taking an advantage of weakness of other players, I think

Edit/add: 封印された - sealed, prohibited, not allowed (I just used "can't" in the rough translation because it's short and easy. You may want to use other words to keep the original meaning of 封印 when you translate. )
 
Last edited:

DrCoke

MH Senpai
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
15
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This is only my interpretation, so I may be completely off the mark, but "オレの封印された左" (from #2) sounds like he's talking about his "forbidden left something". That something usually means his "fist" if this whole phrase is a type of fighting lingo. Looking at the rest of the context, I would assume they're talking about his "left kick".

This phrase I'm talking about typically is said by characters that are full of themselves and believes that his ability to left/right punch/kick is so devastating that it should be forbidden from use. Hence, the definition listed by mikkih: "sealed", would be most accurate.

"オレの封印された左がどーこーよく言ってたからなー" I think this can loosely be translated to "He always boasted about his forbidden left (kick)"

Does that sound right?
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
"オレの封印された左がどーこーよく言ってたからなー" I think this can loosely be translated to "He always boasted about his forbidden left (kick)"

Does that sound right?
オレの <---- Since the txt says オレの, that would be "my" not "his." The verb you used "boasted' will change accordingly.

Edit/Add
mikkih said:
オレの封印された左がどーこーよく言ってたからなー きっとそうだと思ってたね
He used to talk about my left side that I can't use, so I was pretty sure where he was aiming.
If the 主語 for オレの封印された左がどーこーよく言ってたからなー is "I" instead of "あいつ(he)," the translation will be different: Come to think of it, I used to talk about my forbidden left often...
 
Last edited:

DrCoke

MH Senpai
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
15
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
United States
オレの <---- Since the txt says オレの, that would be "my" not "his." The verb you used "boasted' will change accordingly.

Edit/Add


If the 主語 for オレの封印された左がどーこーよく言ってたからなー is "I" instead of "あいつ(he)," the translation will be different: Come to think of it, I used to talk about my forbidden left often...
I read this sentence with the 主語 being an "あいつ" that is understood. I interpreted this sentence being something like あいつよく "オレの封印された左" がどーこーよく言ってたからなー because he/she (the person actually speaking) sounds like they are talking directly to someone about a third person. I bet there's an English grammatical category for this (third person indirect?), but I have no clue. >.>
 

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Let me try to expand on the context a bit.

The game is soccer. One team's ace, let's call him Jun, has a huge scar around his left eye. It's hinted that the other team's goalkeeper, let's call her Mako, is responsible for giving him that scar in the past. The game starts, and Jun manages to injure Mako to the point she has to retire from the game. Another girl, let's call her Youko, replaces Mako as the goalkeeper, even though she's very inexperienced in that position. As the game progresses, Jun eventually breaks through to the goal and is about to score. The only one in front of him is Youko. So Youko starts hesitating about whether he's going to kick the ball left or right. Finally she decides it'll be "right" and starts jumping to her left (and Jun's right) in order to catch it. At that time Mako, who's watching from the sidelines, yells out "left!". Youko immediately switches direction and jumps to her right (Jun's left), where she successfully catches the ball. After the game, Youko asks Mako "あの時蹴る方向どうしてわかったんですか?", and Mako's reply is "ああ あいつ昔っからイザって時に出るクセがあんのよ オレの封印された左がどーこーよく言ってたからなー きっとそうだと思ってたね". That's when she has to tell a story that when she and Jun were kids, she had a crush on him, but could never talk to him. Until one day Jun came to check out her dojo, they fought a karate kumite, where Mako went wild and really hurt Jun, sending him to the hospital for a six months and leaving him with that scar. And they'd never talked since.

At this point I'm not even sure if the problem with the sentence is grammar I don't get, or is it simply that there's insufficient context to figure out what that line is supposed to mean.
 
Last edited:

DrCoke

MH Senpai
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
15
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Now I'm pretty sure her response would be translated something similar to:

"ああ あいつ昔からイザって時に出るクセがあんのよ” => "Ah, when it comes down to it, his old habit appears."

"オレの封印された左がとーこーよく言ってたからなー" => "He would always boast about his forbidden left (shot)."

"きっとそうだと思ったね" => "I knew it was going to be that (the left shot)"

Now, you might know some better wordings for these... but I think I got the complete gist of it.
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Thanks, cmertb for the context. Translation should be quite straight forward now that 封印された左belongs to Jun(あいつ), and he was the one who was talking about it (言っていた). (あいつは)オレの(自分の・あいつの)封印された左がどーこーよく言ってたからなー

TL something along what DrCoke posted last.

Was the kick actually the "forbidden" move (left kick) ? If yes,
Jun/He has an old habit to deliver the best move when he makes the last minute decision --> he did the forbidden move.

The word "boasting," which has a connotation of being proud, works fine here. As DrCoke also mentioned, boasting is generally appropriate when a speaker is talking about his special talent.

どうこう言う means "saying stuff," often comes with some negative connotation. It can be boasting or complaining without a context. You could use neutral words like saying and talking when translate if you are not for sure. If that is a complaint, interpretation of the lines will be quite different though.
 
Top