Some thoughts about Gear | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Some thoughts about Gear

SympathyX

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but after looking through some old chapters today I discovered some interesting stuff.

In chapter 64 when Luffy fights Don Krieg, the final page has this:

Not Luffy's positioning in particular. Also the fact he seems to have smoke coming from him, which still could be from the fact he's just been hit several times by Don Krieg's explosive spear but who knows.

A few more things that say to me that this could possibly be the work of gear is that Luffy mentions he hit Krieg's spear "5 times in an instant", reminiscent of enhancing his body to assimilate CP9's "soru" technique.

Also the art style on the middle pannel is incredibly reminiscent of his Gear 3rd picture

What do you guys think?

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think that the positioning was just Luffy resting and putting his weight on his legs. I stand in that position sometimes when I get tired, and I'm not doing it to get into Gear 2nd. And the smoke probably is just from being hit with Krieg's spear. As to the art style similarities, I think that' just the general character design for "close up of Luffy's face as he explains or performs a major attack, or makes an important speech." You're reading a bit too much into things, though a lot of people are probably going back and looking for hints about the Gears. And besides, that smoke isn't coming from all over Luffy's body like in Gear 2nd, just from his mouth and nostrils, which makes sense if you assume he was just breathing hard. And he probably was tired, since it was a big fight and Luffy had been injured quite a bit by then.

SympathyX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The smoke is coming from all over his body which you see on the page before. I didnt go looking for a gear hint, I jus stumbled across it.

It's just when he says things like hitting it 5 times in an instant which wasnt pictured I find quite interesting.

...Since the stance hasnt been used much or at all until Luffy's fight with Blueno this could well be where it began.

alias85

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think that the positioning was just Luffy resting and putting his weight on his legs. I stand in that position sometimes when I get tired, and I'm not doing it to get into Gear 2nd. And the smoke probably is just from being hit with Krieg's spear. As to the art style similarities, I think that' just the general character design for "close up of Luffy's face as he explains or performs a major attack, or makes an important speech." You're reading a bit too much into things, though a lot of people are probably going back and looking for hints about the Gears. And besides, that smoke isn't coming from all over Luffy's body like in Gear 2nd, just from his mouth and nostrils, which makes sense if you assume he was just breathing hard. And he probably was tired, since it was a big fight and Luffy had been injured quite a bit by then.
agreed.
i also remember him saying, right before he performed second gear for the first time he developed it after fighting....i believe it was eneru? (someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i know it was a boss definately after don krieg) he said something along the lines of, i realized there are a lot of strong people out here on the grand line, my nakama are strong, but i must make myself stronger so i developed this technique in order to protect my nakama...something like that. so i'm pretty sure he developed gear after don krieg, because don krieg really didn't pose that much of a challenge to be honest, compared to the others he has fought.

sorry about the vagueness, just going by memory since i'm not at my computer

SympathyX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, im saying maybe he didnt even really know it at this time

The Boff

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
youre missing a vital point dude. he doesnt hit the spear 5 times in an instant, nor does he say that he does.
every time Krieg thrusts the spear at luffy, Luffy hits it once.
so the thing that makes the spear go boom is Luffys fist.

and if you really do want to see something that is EXACTLY the same as gear 2. then look at the priest vs chopper fight. cant remember the priests name but, he uses Jet Dials. he stands EXACTLY the same as luffy does when he's going to hit with a jet pistol.
im at work now and cant post the pic but i will when i get home.

SympathyX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
christ, it was just an idea alright...

im not stupid and I know he devloped the technique properly after his fight with Aokiji but its just a suggestion and its no less valid than most of the other ones on here.

The Boff

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
christ, it was just an idea alright...
dude, chill down a bit. im not out to make you look dumb or anything and i doubt anyone else is either.
you had an idea and we responded to that, thats all.

i can see why you thought like you did. i just dont agree to the idea, thats all.

Vato Loco!

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't really think it's gear steam, but instead it's more along the lines of regular steam. For those that do strenuous excersise daily, such as football players, or skating (my sport of choice), after a while you start steaming. This is just sweat evaporating because you're using so much energy. It has caused your body heat to rise. This also makes you exhale steam when you breathe. I wouldn't say it's an accidental gear, more so just a normal reaction to the strenuous activities at hand.

SympathyX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
that or as I said in my first post, he'd just been hit a couple of times by Krieg's explosive spear

Paz42

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
it would be really good if oda sensai had thought about this so far back but i dont think how ever much i want to that this is the key as vato loco said and as sympathyX also said it could be either steam or just from being hit by the exploding spear (on a side note i must go back and read theese chapters as i never read them just watched them on the anime does any one know where i can get OP from chapter 1 that isnt IRC)

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
No, Vato Loco!'s explanation made more sense, since being hit by the spear wouldn't explain why there was steam coming out of Luffy's nose and mouth. Though the spear explanation WOULD explain why it came out of the rest of his body, especially because Luffy never steams in any other fight, except when using Gear 2nd. So maybe the spear made him smoke, as well as raising his temperature due to the explosion, which is what made steam come out of his nose and mouth...

The Boff

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
here we have the thing i was talking about, and the priests name was Gedatsu.

spitting image?

yup :nuts

Paz42

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

spitting image?

Good find i must say that is quite strange wonder if there is any kind of connection like luffy saw it and thought that it was a really cool pose. While where on the subject of gears has any of the other strawhats seen the gears i mean they have seen the huge gear 3rd arm but what about gear second ? If not how do u think that they would react to it ?

Last edited:

SympathyX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh now come on thats totally different... Im saying that Oda may have hinted at Gear a while back... since it was pictures of Luffy, not someone else.

gao_dargon

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i dont think its a gear, and i also dont thing the prist inpired luffy cuz he was nowere near that fight,they r just look alike panels, and SympathyX dude, dont get mad, we hear you and i can see why u think this is a hint, its just that we dont agree with you thats all, but ur idea is as valid as anyone elses, and how knows, maybe your right

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel

spitting image?

This is awesome! :D Though I don't think Luffy was "inspired" by that priest, coz if my memory serves me right, he didn't even fight him. It's just similiar stances drawn by Oda.
Another resemblence between those two pictures, The priest used JET dials, and Luffy's gear 2 moves are also have JET in their name, e.g: Gomu Gomu no Jet Pistol!

:D

SympathyX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i dont think its a gear, and i also dont thing the prist inpired luffy cuz he was nowere near that fight,they r just look alike panels, and SympathyX dude, dont get mad, we hear you and i can see why u think this is a hint, its just that we dont agree with you thats all, but ur idea is as valid as anyone elses, and how knows, maybe your right
angry??

gao_dargon

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how me? naaa i thought u were do, sorry if i was wrong (i know this is off topic sorry for that)

Paz42

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i forgot luffy never fought him but u know chopper could have told him about it and you know how they tend to act out things but its probably just a coincidence

hmmm now i know this is off topic a little but while were talking about gears you know how gear 2nd makes luffys body heat up and cause steam to rise from his body do you think that, that could help him out when fighting aokji could that melt the ice or am i just thinking about it to deeply