Some thoughts about Gear

Impel Down

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
3,077
Reaction score
3
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Didn't Luffy say the steam was just part of his exhaustion? As to how he invented them, Smoker hinted that Luffy's actually pretty smart, not to mention hella creative.
 

Paz42

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2007
Messages
196
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
ye but he body is obviously warm due to the fact his skin turns red and starts to steam so im thinking that some heat at least must be released from him going gear 2nd
 

franer

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 18, 2006
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
hmmm now i know this is off topic a little but while were talking about gears you know how gear 2nd makes luffys body heat up and cause steam to rise from his body do you think that, that could help him out when fighting aokji could that melt the ice or am i just thinking about it to deeply
Luffys "steam" is cause by rapid vaporisation of his bodily liquids, extreme sweat if you like, and since we all know that sweat is a way for our bodies to cool down i dont really see how making himself sweat, thus losing body heat, would ever help against a guy whos entire power is all about freezing (sweat = liquid -> massive advantage for aokji).
But yah, since this is manga and is by no way connected to the real world i guess anythings possible.:P
 

Eyefarted2

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
124
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
who knows? maybe he knew how to operate the gears since the beginning when he met zoro and nami. he just didnt use it because he felt it wasnt necessary becasue they were unworthy. crocodile, enel, none of them were worthy until he stumbled upon rob lucci. that man is filthy, but hust filthy enough to be deemed worthy.
 

Impel Down

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
3,077
Reaction score
3
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Luffy's always been able to develop moves on a dime, because of his massive creativity. He designed the strategy against Enel's mantra suddenly, and made moves like GGN Storm suddenly, so I think he could have just thought up Gear 2 and 3 as well.
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Luffy's always been able to develop moves on a dime, because of his massive creativity. He designed the strategy against Enel's mantra suddenly, and made moves like GGN Storm suddenly, so I think he could have just thought up Gear 2 and 3 as well.
I'm pretty sure he did. He mentioned to Blueno that he had been thinking about ways to get stronger ever since Aokiji defeated him. The way I see it, Luffy had been toying around with ideas for training regimens or power-ups since his loss to Aokiji, and had possibly come up with something like Gear. Later, while he was stuck between those 2 buildings after fighting Lucci in Iceburg's house, he came up with two ideas for Gears that he thought would work well, and used them. He DID say on the train that he had a new attack he wanted to try out. I think that he was referring to Gear. He'd been thinking about how to get stronger for a week or two, and came up with a good way earlier that night. I know, not quite as spontaneous as usual, but for something like Gear, even Luffy would take a bit of time. It's not like using Gomu Gomu no Gatling and rotating, like he did to form Gomu Gomu no Storm, it's a completely different level of fighting, and that would take some time, though a week is still a pretty short time to come up with something like that. And he probably didn't slowly evolve the concept of Gear either, he probably only just came up with the idea of what actually ended up working as Gears 2nd and 3rd between the buildings. I'm sure he didn't come up with them during the train ride, because he put meat in his pockets right at the beginning of Volume 39, which I think means that he had already come up with Gear 2nd. So he did plan that. And he was about to use Gear 3rd on Blueno before Blueno collapsed, so he probably came up with that on the train or between the buildings too.
 

Impel Down

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
3,077
Reaction score
3
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Eh, I may have been a bit misunderstood. What I'm trying to say is that he has enough creativity to have thought up the Gears by himself, without taking it from anything. I agree, he'd been thinking about it since Ao Kiji, but something like that takes a while to fully finish, especially for Luffy, so he hadn't really gotten it until the Sea Train.
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Eh, I may have been a bit misunderstood. What I'm trying to say is that he has enough creativity to have thought up the Gears by himself, without taking it from anything. I agree, he'd been thinking about it since Ao Kiji, but something like that takes a while to fully finish, especially for Luffy, so he hadn't really gotten it until the Sea Train.
I was agreeing with you. And yeah, what you said is basically my post in a nutshell.
 

Impel Down

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
3,077
Reaction score
3
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Alright then. I accept your apology.
 

big_p

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2006
Messages
224
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Luffys "steam" is cause by rapid vaporisation of his bodily liquids, extreme sweat if you like, and since we all know that sweat is a way for our bodies to cool down i dont really see how making himself sweat, thus losing body heat, would ever help against a guy whos entire power is all about freezing (sweat = liquid -> massive advantage for aokji).
But yah, since this is manga and is by no way connected to the real world i guess anythings possible.:P
Actually, no that you mention the extreme sweat thing, sweat is indeed liquid, but warm liquid. Not only that, it is salty. Both of these are known to melt ice. That combined with the steam thing, I have got to admit that there is potential there. I'm not saying anything definite seeing as how Aokiji has already proven he can freeze massive quantities of water if he wants to, but hell, an icy arm suddenly heated from the inside moving out with warm liquid, salt and steam. You never know, Oda works in mysterious ways.
 

Impel Down

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
3,077
Reaction score
3
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
...I hadn't ever heard it referenced to that way, and I know think that, indeed, Gear 2 is a move to combat Ao Kiji's Hie Hie no mi. However, I don't see how we could ever prove that, since Ao Kiji is no longer after the SH crew, thus they have no reason to fight him. They may have to later on, I guess, and then we'd see.

What we should think about is how Gear 2 would affect something like, oh, say, smoke?
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I see where you're going with this... But I don't know. I don't think that Luffy had Smoker in mind when he created the Gears. I can't see what the advantage would be. Gear 3rd could be useful for Smoker, though. Hit him hard while you can, and big enough to grab him, so he couldn't slip out of that giant hand. I dunno, though Smoker probably won't be seen again until they get to Fishman Island.
 

Impel Down

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
3,077
Reaction score
3
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Well, in the New World, really, according to Smoker's challenge to make a stronger crew and face him "In the New World". I doubt the Mermaid Island is there, because of the "passage through the Red Line" theory, which I support. And Gear 3rd would be not that great against Smoker, because he could see it and dodge and such easily, it wouldn't suprise him. With Gear 2nd, though, maybe he couldn't see where the attack is coming from, so he wouldn't know when to make himself smoke, or even if he has to.
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
True, Smoker isn't always in his elemental form, so that may be. I dunno if that's the steam that would do it, though, that would just be the strength and speed boost. And Fishman Island (Oda-sensei said in an SBS that there's a difference, by the way. Kokoro was a mermaid. Arlong was a fishman. Yet another thing 4Kids screwed up.) is in the New World, according to Kokoro. She mentioned it, and that was why the Straw Hats intended to go there. They're going to the New World because they want to get to Fishman Island. And what's the "Passage through the Red Line" theory? I don't think I've heard it.
 

Impel Down

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
3,077
Reaction score
3
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I think Kokoro said it WAS Mermaid Island they were going to next, not Fishman Island, and I recognize the difference. The Red Line theory thing is basically that the two islands are at the bottom of the sea, which is where the only passage through the Red Line is, since they can't just go over it.

Moderator Notice:
Please, stay on topic guys :)~ Luckas
 
Last edited by a moderator:

sanjis the name

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 7, 2007
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
THERE IS NO WAY THE CREATORS WERE THINKING ABOUT GEAR 2 OR 3 AT THE TIME THE CHAPTER CAME OUT
 

Impel Down

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
3,077
Reaction score
3
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
...okay, couple of things.

First of all, all caps: not cool

Second of all, Oda totally thinks things up in advance. He had Brook when Laboon came out, and he had Garp 'n Dragon and co. early on. I think he could make this up earlier on too.

And third of all, creators? Oda-sensei is a one-man army of creativity.
 

makirai

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Hey guys, i hope this is has not been talked about somewhere else,
but any thoughts on the gear being a potential hazard to his life, and even shorten luffy's life or something...
 
Top