Movies - Star Wars - The Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies Star Wars - The Thread

How was that ep VIII teaser?

• Amazing, Incredible, Epic!

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Good

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Okay

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Ugh, utter garbage

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Instead of spamming the movie thread full of The Force Awakens, I decided to dedicate a whole thread to it. And not just the Force Awakens, but the franchise as whole, as there are already a lot of new canon material out there (comics, books), the first spin-off film is shooting and bunch of games to be out as well. While the focus of this thread will most likely be in TFA hypetrain, all the speculations, feel free to discuss all of Star Wars as much as you want.

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens in cinemas 16.12.2015.

I've wathed the trailer like a dozen times already, and it still give me the feels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Re: Star Wars - The Thread

So, the official trailer has been watched 128 million times within 24 hours. Rather impressive.

YumaKuga

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire

Im half and half with the movie. Y'see, they have a completely new villain thats not in any of the books, and that kinda puts me off. otherwise it looks fine

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Well the books are no longer considered canon by Disney. Which I personally love. I haven't read much of the books, but I remember reading some when I were a teenager, and what I remember is, that I just stopped reading. Because it was bad fiction. They are completly open to make new stories.

Kylo Ren seems great to me. Talented actor, the overall all look is very cool, very sinister. The voice is amazing. I'm falling in love with lightsaber too.He also seems to be a Vader-fanboy, which a pretty interesting start point for a villain. Hoping he will be a recurring character for the entrie trilogy, though it seems he isn't the "big bad", I'm asuming Serkis' Admiral Snoke is (as we have not seen anything of him yet). I'm also very curious about the Knights of Ren. That flash of them with Kylo in the rain was one of the "wow"-moments of the trailer for me. Like, there is a whole group of these masked guys, wait what, are they all wielding different customised weapons, what is this, so awesome.

Honestly, I now about as much of Kylo as I know of Thrawn or Yuuzhan Vong, and he picks my curiosity the most of the bunch. He has the priviledge of great visuals and sound though. I've heard good things of the Thrawn trilogy.

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

What I'm most worried about now, that I have myself ruined the movie for myself, because of over-hype and too big expectations.

YumaKuga

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire

Yeah I second that^ I do think the stormtroopers are pretty badass looking too. Cant wait to see 'em Star Destroyers too :zomg

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

And former stormtrooper going up against Kylo? Epic

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Im just getting tired of the fanboys complaining about this:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Yeah. I initially thought it looked a bit silly, but it makes all sense and I've started to like the look. Whole point of a crossguard in european swords was to prevent ones hand being chopped off. Considering the history of cybernetic jedi hands, I'd say the crossguard was a pretty smart move by Kylo.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Loved it. The feels. The characters. The adventure that wakes joys of childhood in you. It was fun and exhilarating.

It was no way a flawless film, but I enjoyed it from the bottom of my heart. These are my first right out of the cinema feels. Will write more later. Both spoiler free and spoilerfull.

Mighty Action X

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Once again, another fallen from the Skywalker Family, I haven't seen the movie, only read the Wikipedia Page. But Ben Solo is the son of Han and probably the son of Leia too and nephew of Luke. And it seems that the successor of Luke will be Rey considering that she has a connection to Anakin's Jedi Lighsaber.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Once again, another fallen from the Skywalker Family, I haven't seen the movie, only read the Wikipedia Page. But Ben Solo is the son of Han and probably the son of Leia too and nephew of Luke. And it seems that the successor of Luke will be Rey considering that she has a connection to Anakin's Jedi Lighsaber.
Marzarret, if you want confirmations;

Yes, Kylo Ren is actually Ben Solo, son of Han and Leia. And indeed, the force awakens in Rey and She shows massive potential. She is draw to Lukes old saber, and seems to follow in his footsteps.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia

Should I go and see the movie? I've heard mixed reviews so far, and I got spoiled a bit, so I know a tiny bit of what happens, but I'm not 100% sold on whether I should see it yet.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

I definetly think it is worth watching. It's very charming adventure. I plan to write in bit more depth sometime tonight if someone is interested.

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia

I definetly think it is worth watching. It's very charming adventure. I plan to write in bit more depth sometime tonight if someone is interested.
I'm interested in hearing more of what you thought. I'll probably go see it, but I'd still love to hear about it.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

So, The Force Awakens. For first, one can finally sigh in relief. It is not the prequels allover again. Actually, there is scene in the film which pretty much says to the viewer that "Nope, we are not going there like the prequels". The a lot of good in the Force Awakens, however, it had some moments that had me almost facepalming.

I read in some review, that now everything old is new. It is pretty well said. In story structure FA remind The New Hope a lot. The First Order, risen from ashes of the Empire, is looking for some information that a brave Resistance pilot Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac) has. The First Order attacks his location and captures him, but the secret information ends in the hands of a lone desert scavenger Rey (Daisy Ridley). Rey crosses road with a ex-Stormtrooper Finn (John Boyega) and together they try get the information to the Resistance while pursued by sith lord Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) and the First Order troops.

The characters of the film are very strong and likeable. Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver and Harrison Ford really give amazing performances in their roles. Rey stands out, giving really fresh breath to the franchise. Han Solo has some epic moments and the best dialogue of the film. Kylo Ren is a very curious character, which I feel could have gone very wrong easily, but Driver manages to pull the character of in a believable manner. Finn and Poe give the film nice swag.

The script of the film is a bit stiff. While the plot flows rather well, there is no real change of pace. It goes on like a jet, taking the breath out of the audience and leaving them pretty exhausted. There is also some very bad dialogue, which the actors can't save even if they are doing their best. There is also the type of writing I really hate. For example, there is a scene were a pilot pulls a spectacular feat. You can see from Boyegas portrayal, that he is very impressed. Yet still, they cut in a close up and he goes "Oh boy, that's one hell of an pilot". We know that! Your audience ain't that blind! Overall plot is rather un-suprising, but that might be just me since film school to some extend has ruined films for me, 'cause I know how scripts are written. There are some nice twists there. But there are some moments, where the heroes get just what they need a bit too easy. The Force almost works like an deus ex machina.

Visually the film is spectacular. I love how the world looks and feels. Some reviews have dissed some of the sets, but in my opinion it all work. It uses al lot of practical effects, actual sets, costumes, dolls and animatronics and goes for CGI only where it is really needed for the shot. The few CGI creatures of the film blend in pretty well. Especially the motion capture character Snoke and Maz Kanata work impressively well. The overall production design is top notch. I want all the whimsical aliens and rusty spacecrafts as figurines and models. As a cinematographer I must say I hated the last shot of the film. Though using the shot was more of an editing choice anyway.

The jokes on the film will be controversial, I know some will find them funny, others tacky and tasteless.

Overall, the film really suck the viewer in. It has that old Star Wars spirit, but brings it to this day and age. The characters are definetly the strongest part of the film. Oh, and I love BB-8, the new droid companion. While the pacing and some parts of the script are problematic, the plot and story hold together very well and as viewer I were really sucked into the adventure, which awoke the child within me. I tried my best not to sound too critical, because I really, really enjoyed the film. Gotta give hand to Abrams, he has a massive task and pressure on him, and managed tocarry it out with good grades.

Last edited:

YumaKuga

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire

I thought Kylo was not a Sith, hence no Darth in his name. IS THERE SKYWALKER IN IT!?!?!?!

gnut

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I thought Kylo was not a Sith, hence no Darth in his name. IS THERE SKYWALKER IN IT!?!?!?!
you haven't heard yet....?smh:kukuku

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Well to be honest, we do noth know what he actually is. He is Knight of Ren, which is not yet explained. Also there is line about "finishing his training", so possibly he is a Sith lord in training

Yes. There is.

YumaKuga

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire

SOme dude dies

Last edited: