Discussion - Super Bowl XLI Thread!!! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Super Bowl XLI Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
The SUPER BOWL XLI Thread!!!

Well, we've only got one week and a half until February 4th! That's when the biggest American Football game of all will take place, which is none other than the Super Bowl!

This is the game every American Football player dreams of eventually reaching, from pee wee leagues to high school football to college football to, finally, the ultimate stage for the sport, the National Football League.

Granted it's usually a blowout or something like it, at least unless the Patriots are playing. They always seem to be in close games. But this year we won't be having the New England Patriots, we'll be having the American Conference's Indianapolis Colts against the National Conference's Chicago Bears.

Both went undefeated for the first half of their respective regular seasons, 9-0 and 8-0 respectively, before finally losing their first games. It's still a rarity, though, that two teams that had dominated the league so much early on in the year would eventually meet up in the big dance. There's usually an upset somewhere that allows a surprising team to be an opponent. But not this year.

What makes the Indianapolis Colts so good? Well, they've always been very good offensively with arguably the best quarterback playing in the game, none other than Peyton Manning, a popular player and the son of Archie Manning who was once a very famous quarterback in his own right. As you can see if you click on his name, he's got the statistics that will probably make him a Hall of Famer once he retires.

Having a spectacular duo of wide receivers in Marvin Harrison ("Marvelous Marvin") and Reggie Wayne probably doesn't hurt, either.

But he's never won a Super Bowl, never even been there. Why? Largely due to always having an inept defense.

This year, though, it's different.

While they didn't seem to have much success on defense throughout the entire 16-game regular season this year either, especially against the running game, they suddenly picked it up when the playoffs started.

Suddenly they kept every running back on every opposing team under 100 yards and beat three tough teams in Kansas City, Baltimore, and best of all, their nemesis, New England, who had knocked them out two times in the playoffs before.

Seems to be Peyton's year, right?

Well, there's still the Bears, though. They have one of the best defenses in the league, spearheaded by ferocious middle linebacker Brian Urlacher. If you're an ES21 fan, then you can certainly feel free to think of Urlacher as the current Shin of the NFL. He's the fastest linebacker playing right now, and certainly one of the strongest.

Their offense isn't all that great, though - it struggled under inconsistent quarterback Rex Grossman (who was injured the last two years, but came back to start all year and regardless of all the mistakes he's made, is still a very popular guy among his teammates). However, when Rex's on, he can be very good. If he's not, he can be horrible. He does have two very good running backs to keep the offense going, though.

Still, even if the offense sputters, the Bears' defense usually takes up the slack and sometimes scores as many touchdowns as their offense does. And then there's Devin Hester, their rookie kick/punt returner. He's come up huge for the Bears in several games: he returned six touchdowns, including a record tying 108-yard touchdown from a missed field goal.

He also returned a punt for a clutch 83-yard game-winning touchdown against the Arizona Cardinals, and two kickoff returns in one game against the St. Louis Rams.

Considering that the Indianapolis Colts' coverage teams on special teams aren't that particularly impressive (New England had long gains on them last game), Hester's a definite concern for them.

So anyway, the Super Bowl is the one American Football game that nearly everybody in the world can watch. If you're interested in discussing the game - there's plenty of time to think about it and speculate, so by all means give us your opinion here and have fun. :)

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I can say I'm definently excited for the the Super Bowl. For the past few years, I've always wanted to see the Colts in the big game, but they never made it. I think that if the Colts' defense keeps stepping up the way they have recently, and if Peyton and Harrison and Wayne makes some good plays, the Colts will be taking home the rings.

Even so, it's going to be a tough game. The Bears have a rockwall defense, so the Colts are going to need a few canons to break through. I have faith, though :3

Feb 4th is marked on my calender ;)

qwan3356

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not all that excited about the Super bowl, don't know why thou. I'm all happy that Peyton Manning got pass the Pats, but i still don't want him to win, i guess on some level i'm a hater, lol. but i don't think Rex is going to do enough to have the bears win, If the Bears can get their run game started with their 2 backs, then the Bears have a chance, if they don't it will prolly be a long game for old Rex.

I think the Colts have this one wrapped. . .
*would have loved to see those Saints in the Bowl*

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
LadyHatake said:
Well, I can say I'm definently excited for the the Super Bowl. For the past few years, I've always wanted to see the Colts in the big game, but they never made it. I think that if the Colts' defense keeps stepping up the way they have recently, and if Peyton and Harrison and Wayne makes some good plays, the Colts will be taking home the rings.

Even so, it's going to be a tough game. The Bears have a rockwall defense, so the Colts are going to need a few canons to break through. I have faith, though :3

Feb 4th is marked on my calender ;)
Well, the last time Peyton played the Bears he won handily, I think the score was 31-10 or something like that, and he passed for around 225 yards and a couple of touchdowns. But the Bears didn't have Brian Urlacher at the time, and he does make a big difference. You really do need a good middle linebacker to beat a quarterback like Peyton, and the Bears do have that.

One really odd thing about the whole playoffs is that Peyton never could seem to really get in sync with Marvin Harrison. It's really crazy how the leading touchdown receiver for the Colts in this year's playoffs is a defensive tackle!

But at least the Colts' had two weeks to work out all the kinks in their offense and maybe Peyton will be able to get in a good rhythm during the Super Bowl. I'm so excited to see what Peyton will do in the ultimate big game. He's got his chance to prove once and for all that he has the capability to win the big game to his critics and everybody in the media.

Depending on the outcome of this game, Peyton Manning could be seen as the best quarterback ever in the history of the NFL. And he's my favorite football player (even though he's not on my favorite team), he went to my university, I watched him play his junior and senior years (missed his sophomore year), and I've watched him in every Colts game that's ever been televisied in my local area. Ever though he's had his share of losses, he's never disappointed me with the way he carried himself and the way he approached the game.

He deserves a ring more than anybody I've ever watched in football.

qwan3356 said:
I'm not all that excited about the Super bowl, don't know why thou. I'm all happy that Peyton Manning got pass the Pats, but i still don't want him to win, i guess on some level i'm a hater, lol. but i don't think Rex is going to do enough to have the bears win, If the Bears can get their run game started with their 2 backs, then the Bears have a chance, if they don't it will prolly be a long game for old Rex.

I think the Colts have this one wrapped. . .
*would have loved to see those Saints in the Bowl*
LoL, what team do you normally root for? xD

Saints would have been an amazing story if they had won the Super Bowl this year, but I'm kind of happy Peyton didn't have to play against his hometown team in the Super Bowl, THIS year. That would probably be kind of hard on him >.>

qwan3356

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm one of the biggest anti-cowboys around, lol. I root for them Sorry Redskins, we'll be a team to reckon with one day, lol. just not anytime in the near future, unless they stop over paying players, and start drafting them. but enough of them boys. I would of still loved to seen the Saints win it all, just so the texans to sit there and be like dang we f-ed up, lol.

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
Reaction score
Country
United States
qwan3356 said:
I'm one of the biggest anti-cowboys around, lol. I root for them Sorry Redskins, we'll be a team to reckon with one day, lol. just not anytime in the near future, unless they stop over paying players, and start drafting them. but enough of them boys. I would of still loved to seen the Saints win it all, just so the texans to sit there and be like dang we f-ed up, lol.
I can't stand the Redskins >.> I'm from Virginia, so it's kinda my "home team" but I really don't like them >.> Don't really know why, I just don't XD

I'd like to have seen the Saints play in the Super Bowl, simply because I think they really deserve it.But, I ahve to agree with Phil, it wouldn't exactly be easy on Peyton >.>

I'm going to be eating alot of fingerfoods and stuff during the game =D

worm34

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I usually miss a lot of football games during the year, but I plan on seeing the super bowl game for sure this year. Just seeing the Colts in the superbowl makes me excited, but honestly if the Bears can play Defense without any mistakes, I think they probably will win. Except I don't want to see them win. I just don't like bears, they remind of Grizzly bears. Ahh colbert report. But anyways hoping to have a superbowl where I finally see a team I want to win.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
LadyHatake said:
I can't stand the Redskins >.> I'm from Virginia, so it's kinda my "home team" but I really don't like them >.> Don't really know why, I just don't XD
I think I know why. It's because their fans are a bunch of bitches isn't it?

qwan3356

Reaction score
Country
United States
LadyHatake said:

I'd like to have seen the Saints play in the Super Bowl, simply because I think they really deserve it.But, I ahve to agree with Phil, it wouldn't exactly be easy on Peyton >.>

I'm going to be eating alot of fingerfoods and stuff during the game =D
That goes the same for me wit the cowboys, i just hate them, prolly because my whole family rides the Cowboys are the greatest team in America then, lol.

and i feel ya on the fingerfoods thing, i'll prolly go to Hooters or Buffalo Wild Wings and just trip wit a bunch of drunk ppl. lmao.

grim jao

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
the colts had better win because bears are godless killing machines nuff said

ibra87

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I hope the Colts win. They've always been superior to their Klashinkov counterpart anyway :p (and we should have made an imaginary bet thread like we did with Fifa World Cup)

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
worm34 said:
I usually miss a lot of football games during the year, but I plan on seeing the super bowl game for sure this year. Just seeing the Colts in the superbowl makes me excited, but honestly if the Bears can play Defense without any mistakes, I think they probably will win. Except I don't want to see them win. I just don't like bears, they remind of Grizzly bears. Ahh colbert report. But anyways hoping to have a superbowl where I finally see a team I want to win.
If that's the case, what's up with your sig link with Peyton being attacked by grizzly bears? Not lookin' good for him there, heh.

Venom65437

I want to pick Indy, but the second I do they'll lose. Hmmm.... I still have some time to think about it.

worm34

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gold Knight said:
If that's the case, what's up with your sig link with Peyton being attacked by grizzly bears? Not lookin' good for him there, heh.
Nah, that's show how he'll be able to fend off the bears even though they kill. No stupid bears are going to take down the Freakin Insane Manning. That and it's funny. .

Venom65437

The Bears biggest concern? Rex Grossman. Peyton's biggest concern? Rex Grossman.

He's a UF QB after all! :D

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
Reaction score
Country
United States
Venom65437 said:
The Bears biggest concern? Rex Grossman. Peyton's biggest concern? Rex Grossman.

He's a UF QB after all! :D
Yeah, But Peyton's from Tennessee, and UT > UF

Gear2fu

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
I'm from Chicago so I have to cheer for the Bears on this one

qwan3356

Reaction score
Country
United States
Venom65437 said:
Yea but Peyton Manning = 0-3 vs. UF
And on top of that, he has never won the big game in anything from hs thru college

Status
Not open for further replies.