Special Move - Super Sweet Spot and its abilities | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Special Move Super Sweet Spot and its abilities

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Sai: there's actually not much info on the SSS
Sai: other than this is what allows you to hit the glowing shot
Sai: and that the super sweet spot take the 3 definitions of sweet spot and combines them into a single point
Sai: 1) The spot in which the speed of the hit ball reaches its peak
2) The spot in which the racket has the least vibration
3) The spot where the impact on the arm is the least
Sai: So basically those 3 definitions of different kinds of sweet spots
Sai: where as the super sweet spot is the point on the racket where all three hold true
Sai: and utilizing this helps you to hit the glowing shot
Sai: it allows you to maximize your power with minimaleffort

I was having a crackpot theory discussion with Kaoz earlier regarding Super Sweet Spot and how and what it possibly is able to do. So far here is what we think we know:

1) It is required in order to hit a controllable Glowing Shot
2) It is required to properly return a Glowing Shot

While that isn't much to go on, we do know that Glowing Shot is the most powerful shot shown in the series so far and has the power to destroy walls and other things, but SSS is able to channel and redirect that power without letting the gut of the racket break.

This leads to the hypothesis #1: SSS is able to be used to return other gut breaking shots without issue

From that hypothesis, I started thinking about other possibilities and that brings us to this:

SSS + Jack Knife = Black Jack Knife

This is taken from the beginning of the series when we are first introduced to Oni and he is hitting with the single cross string, which we learned later on was how to train to hit SSS. The motions and set up for Black Jack Knife all seem to be the same as the regular Jack Knife, yet Black Jack Knife is so much more powerful. The argument could be made that is simply because Oni is so much more powerful than Momoshiro, but then why bother with a different name for what is essentially the same shot?

But let us take a closer look here. We know that Oni was clearly hitting a SSS shot the entire time against Momoshiro because that is the only shot he was able to hit given his "JuuJi" Gut (JuuJi means Cross shape). But here we have Momo's Jack Knife:

When he hits it here, it's clearly off center of the racket and certainly not a SSS.

This brings us to later in the manga with the BJB Revolution. During this time, Momoshiro knows Black Jack Knife and with it:

1) He was able to prevent a gut breaking Bakyuun from destroying his racket gut
2) The power of his Jack Knife was exponentially increased

which we can see here

and here

Also note, in that first picture how Momo begins hitting the Black Jack Knife in the exact center of his racket which as opposed to the picture earlier.

Of course, this also means that Momoshiro, at least instinctively, can hit with the SSS even if he can't do it on command or at will. This also makes sense in how he learn to hit the Black Jack Knife since he would have had to think of copying how Oni hit it when they played and back then Oni has the JuuJi Gut only which could've given Momo the hint to hit with the dead center of his racket.

Furthermore, if we analyze the second picture Momo's Black Jack Knife returns Bakyuun with the same gut busting ability that Bakyuun displayed earlier.

This then brings us to...Hypothesis #2: SSS gives an inherent reflection ability.

This part isn't quite as thought out as what you've read before and is more or less unsubstantiated until we get more information.

The proofs for this are from how Ryoga was able to reflect back the Glowing Shot Byoudouin hit at Ryoma and Black Jack Knife (assuming my theory on this is right).

For Black Jack Knife, Momoshiro's own normal Jack Knife has been known to be powerful enough to blast rackets away, but never able to gut bust like Rai or Bakyuun. Oni himself, when hitting a Black Jack Knife didn't bust a hole into Momo's gut either, but it did knock his racket away and break his wrists. That leads me to believe that gut busting isn't an inherent capability of Black Jack Knife (or Jack Knife) itself. However, when returning Bakyuun, it tore through both Taira and Hara's rackets busting a hole through them like how Taira did to both Momo and Kenya earlier. I believe that this is due to SSS reflecting back Taira's Bakyuun in addition to the normal Jack Knife properties.

The other possible proof is in Tanegashima's return of Rai. If we assume that Tanegashima's Null effect and general playstyle is due to SSS, the way he was able to reflect Rai back with the same power and gut busting ability as it was hit at him it would be more proof of SSS being reflectory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Re: [Theory] Super Sweet Spot and its abilities

From that hypothesis, I started thinking about other possibilities and that brings us to this:

SSS + Jack Knife = Black Jack Knife

This is taken from the beginning of the series when we are first introduced to Oni and he is hitting with the single cross string, which we learned later on was how to train to hit SSS. The motions and set up for Black Jack Knife all seem to be the same as the regular Jack Knife, yet Black Jack Knife is so much more powerful. The argument could be made that is simply because Oni is so much more powerful than Momoshiro, but then why bother with a different name for what is essentially the same shot?

But let us take a closer look here. We know that Oni was clearly hitting a SSS shot the entire time against Momoshiro because that is the only shot he was able to hit given his "JuuJi" Gut (JuuJi means Cross shape). But here we have Momo's Jack Knife:

When he hits it here, it's clearly off center of the racket and certainly not a SSS.

This brings us to later in the manga with the BJB Revolution. During this time, Momoshiro knows Black Jack Knife and with it:

1) He was able to prevent a gut breaking Bakyuun from destroying his racket gut
2) The power of his Jack Knife was exponentially increased

which we can see here

and here

Also note, in that first picture how Momo begins hitting the Black Jack Knife in the exact center of his racket which as opposed to the picture earlier.

Of course, this also means that Momoshiro, at least instinctively, can hit with the SSS even if he can't do it on command or at will. This also makes sense in how he learn to hit the Black Jack Knife since he would have had to think of copying how Oni hit it when they played and back then Oni has the JuuJi Gut only which could've given Momo the hint to hit with the dead center of his racket.
This is fantastic observation. Like, its theory-crafting at its best.
All of this went way over my head when reading. It actually all makes sense now.

floman

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India

This is such an awesome theory. I definitely think Jack Knife + SSS= Black Jack Knife now. I'm still not sure about the Tanegamishima's Null effect is because of the SSS. If it were when Oni played momoshiro, his racket string wouldn't have been broken, because he was able to reflect the racket breaking capability back so his racket should have taken the impact. I might be wrong, please correct me if I am missing something.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina

I didn't notice that Momo managed to hit the SSS (it's clearly an early hint from Konomi), I totally agree with the first part, it really makes sense

However, in the second part... I don't think SSS is really reflective.

Against Taira / Hara, it wasn't the first time Momoshiro broke the opponent's strings

http://i9.mangareader.net/new-prince-of-tennis/5/new-prince-of-tennis-569086.jpg

Also, if it's reflective and we know Oni can hit the SSS, why we haven't seen anything really "reflected" in any of his matches?

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

You could argue that the reason for Oni's gut breaking there was that strings were missing, so it's inherently less durable.

Also, if it's reflective and we know Oni can hit the SSS, why we haven't seen anything really "reflected" in any of his matches?
Because nobody used anything against him that could've been reflected with a visible effect.

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom

My theory on Oni's gut snapping was that Momo had actually managed to hit a SSS at the time without realizing it. In that instance, its a matter of a full gut with supporting strings vs the single cross gut and the strings snapping because they did lack support.

Also, it can be said the blasting away of Momo's racket and breaking his wrists was reflecting back Momo's Jack Knife in addition tot he added power of Oni's own Jack Knife.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina

Also, it can be said the blasting away of Momo's racket and breaking his wrists was reflecting back Momo's Jack Knife in addition tot he added power of Oni's own Jack Knife.
Not really, as Oni knew that he was going to break Momo's wrists BEFORE hitting it.

You could say that he had experienced a similar case before against another Jack Knife player, but I believe it's safer to asume that it was just raw power and he had broken some random guy's wrist before.

I can agree with the supporting strings thingy though.

Because nobody used anything against him that could've been reflected with a visible effect.
What about the Super Ultra delitious nasfajsk or any X Ball shot?

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Oh, maybe in order to split balls you need to hit the SSS...

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

What about the Super Ultra delitious nasfajsk or any X Ball shot?
What about them? First, we have never seen Oni return Daishaarin. Second, what kind of effects would you expect to see there in the first place?

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Argentina

Anything that isn't a normal shot?

floman

Reaction score
Country
India

Why did Oni state it like nullifying was something that Tanegamishima specialized in? If it's something you could do with SSS even Oni could bring deathblows down to nothing. Also if one person uses SSS in this theory would it cancel out the effect of another's SSS?

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom

the X balls shots are all pretty much normal shots except that theyve been split into multiple balls. even though you return them with the SSS they dont have any distinguishable properties to reflect back other than being normal shots

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

the Nullifying ability i count as separate from SSS

specifically, i was talking about when he returned Rai and it went back to Sanada as a Rai

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand

So, right now, with this theory, people in the manga that's confirm that can hit SSS is

1. Byoudonin
2. Oni
3. Momoshiro
4. Shuuji
5. Ryoga

Am I missing anyone?

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

So, right now, with this theory, people in the manga that's confirm that can hit SSS is

1. Byoudonin
2. Oni
3. Momoshiro
4. Shuuji
5. Ryoga

Am I missing anyone?
That should be everyone, but in Momoshiro's case, it would be tied to Black Jack Knife, and wouldn't apply to his normal returns.

jimtors

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

So the SSS can be applied to all the shots??? I thought that if you successfully hit the SSS it would automatically be glowing? Shouldn't it be a Whtie Jack Knife instead of black? if you are saying the SSS + Jack Knife? I'm not really and expert, just asking question cause your theory is really nice... I believe it 85%. ^__^

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom

the glowing shot from what we know is separate from sss. sss is needed to learn the glowing shot it seems, but isnt the glowing shot itself.

jimtors

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Now that i think about it, i guess you are right. I remember byoudin having the ball glow before he even hit it with his racket.

Korean Kuroko

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico

Interesting theory. Now I hope hitting SSS doesnt become a necesity to be top tier.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand

Well, as far as we know, Kintarou and Tezuka can't hit it, but they are currently top tier. I don't think it's needed. It might boost it up a lot, though.

floman

Reaction score
Country
India

Then again there have been a few theories that state that Kintarou can subconsciously hit with SSS which is why he gets the crazy amount of power that he does.

Furthermore if this theory is true, couldn't it also be used to explain the power behind Hyaruken. Everything else having to do with Muga has been explained in pretty real terms.

PoP is playing for fun therefore having the ability to demonstrate 100% of latent potential.

Saiki is completely understanding patterns in tennis to predict the optimum way of hitting.

Muga No Kyouchi is relying on previous memories and implementing them into game play subconsciously because of technical skill.

Hyaruken has been explained by concentrating the power of Muga into your left arm.... which is not a very realistic idea. Maybe the true power behind Hyaruken is to hit with SSS with the same level of technique that the opponent has used and return the shot as if it is double. It is the addition of your power and technique to that of another powerful technique.

Korean Kuroko

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico

Then again there have been a few theories that state that Kintarou can subconsciously hit with SSS which is why he gets the crazy amount of power that he does.

Furthermore if this theory is true, couldn't it also be used to explain the power behind Hyaruken. Everything else having to do with Muga has been explained in pretty real terms.

PoP is playing for fun therefore having the ability to demonstrate 100% of latent potential.

Saiki is completely understanding patterns in tennis to predict the optimum way of hitting.

Muga No Kyouchi is relying on previous memories and implementing them into game play subconsciously because of technical skill.

Hyaruken has been explained by concentrating the power of Muga into your left arm.... which is not a very realistic idea. Maybe the true power behind Hyaruken is to hit with SSS with the same level of technique that the opponent has used and return the shot as if it is double. It is the addition of your power and technique to that of another powerful technique.
But Ryoma can use Hyakuren on his feet.