Thank you for the welcome mail

hanaogi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 15, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
9
Age
68
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I am glad to have found your site, and time allowing, I look forward to learning and exercising some of the skills you offer tutorials on. I think I can contribute in a small way, as I have access to a man who teaches photoshop for a living- in fact, I married him 21 yrs ago :eyeroll. We have been working in graphics, design, and desk top for all those years, and in fact he beta tested the very first versions of photoshop and illustrator.
I myself have done typesetting off and on for about 15 years, and do know a trick or two that might be useful. I can also spell and punctuate English to a fair degree, and have done some editing.
I notice in one the BB code tutorial a number of points that make me think BB is the program BBEdit? if this is correct, I'd like to know, as I think I have my own copy of it… but I am not sure it will be compatible with the preferred version y'all use.
I also have some experience in photoshop, although I am a few versions behind. I also own the entire Adobe Suite including Cs5 if that's of help anywhere.
All that said, I have 4 Boston Terriers and 1 French Bull, a slightly rundown former farmhouse, an acre of land inside the city limits, 2 400 year old oak trees with resident presences of some kind, and a peculiar sense of humor- I'm told.

And yes, that is my birthday; I came to manga and animé late in life, obviously. Although I do have an extensive life in sf/f fandom…

In case anyone is curious, Hana Ogi was considered the most beautiful geisha (art person) of her time, and is immortalized in several of the more famous Ukiyo e prints. It struck me as being very funny that the youkai part of town in Nurari Hyon no Mago is called Ukiyoe Town- it means the floating world, and signifies the transitory nature of things.

Wel, I have run on for a while now, and will close with a Good Morning to all of you before going to bed. I look forward to visiting more.
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,761
Reaction score
26,093
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hey hanaogi~.

Welcome to MH :party. That was a really nice intro and you have an amazing set of repertoire under your belt (for you and your hubby). I'm sure you can give some hints or help in the Artist studio.

Looking forward to see you in the manga / anime threads.
 

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Welcome, hanaogi! :bye Hope you stay around and enjoy the site.

I agree with Charlie. That was a really cool intro. I especially loved the explanation of your username. :amuse Also, there's nothing wrong with being a late-bloomer to the manga/anime scene. I was older than the average person when I found it as well. :hi5

How exactly did you find manga/anime, anyway? What were your 'firsts' of each? And what are your favorites?
 

hanaogi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 15, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
9
Age
68
Gender
Female
Country
United States
@ Charlie
@igotthegoods

Thanks for compliments- after all the English classes I have taken, it's good to know I can use them!

Ahh, about my username. Well, there's a history there, and this is a family site with probably lots of sub-adult users, so I won't go far into it.

However, I am perfectly comfortable in saying that Ukiyoe has another association… at the beginning of the Tokugawa Shogunate, geisha were not quite what they would become… that is, at that time they were more than "art persons". Consequently, they were lumped in with the tea house girls and lower class pros******S when they were sort of unionized by the Shogunate. It had some advantages and some disadvantages.

One advantage was that it did offer the women some slight amount of protection. On the other hand, they were confined to their own district- the ukiyoe. It's called the floating world not just for the transitory nature of life, but because so many of the women drank heavily and did smoke opium, or whatever alterational substance was available in order to bear their lives.

Mind you, I am no historian… but I do like to read, and while I would never ever quote Wikipedia as a source, on most academic and historical posts it offers accreditation for quotations giving the name of the author and title of book, so sometimes I read "improvin' literature", and I tend to read more esoteric stuff. I don't really give a damn about what year something happened but I am almost always currious about how people dealt with a situation, so I look into it a little.

I found manga after I was forced to watch many many episodes of DBZ by my wicked evil husband- he gave me a choice, baseball on tv (yawn), or DBZ. Then I stopped by a comic store to see if I could get an idea of the worth of some of the comic books I have, and there it was. Now it's a regular part of my viewing and reading, in no little way; I'm disabled, so I spend a lot of time at home, and eventually even Netflix gets boring- but animé is always changing.

Oh, and the husband creature knew about manga because his BFA is in cartooning, with minors in illustration and photography. @;)
 
Top