Discussion The Ackerman's Fated One

CollStar

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
Hey boys and girls !

Let me put it this way : ALL the Ackerman family members we have seen so far in the manga seem to have a "Fated One", a person in who they have great respect/faith/devotion/even love (if you are a Mikaere fan : I'm, so fuck you if you are not :hip).

Is this a coincidence ?

Levi has Erwin : http://www.heartofmanga.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/AoT_NR_GoErwin.png

Kenny had Uri : https://res.cloudinary.com/the-news-hub/image/upload/q_60,f_auto/v1431390228/nx86qjbvstl8janh4a3g.jpg

Mikasa has... well, I think everyone has an hint about it :teehee : http://36.media.tumblr.com/f3ee115d09ffdaf502adbf924358d994/tumblr_mrqclpnt4P1sfdy11o1_540.jpg

What about this ?? They all seem to be linked deeply to a certain person.
Why ? Is this in their bloodline genetic attributs ? Is it just fate (lol) ? Coincidence ?

Something seemed to trigger inside them when they first encountered/talked deeply with their Fated One.

Maybe it is a "security system" ? The Ackerman are dangerous, and immune to brainwash, so maybe the First King found a way to control their wildness ? With a Fated One to control them in a passive way, without even knowing ?

Tell me what you think about all this shiit (damn, Shingeki no Kyojin is full of theories and questions... and so so soooo few answers... frustrating), I'm curious.

Haze

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Well if put that way, Eren was the reason Mikasa awoke her Ackerman superpower, and her devotion to Eren is completely justifiable.As for the screenshot of Levi and Erwin,that scene clearly looks like some 'strange power welling up inside him',though in all reality even if this was the reason he unlocked his Ackerman potential, I don't see why his devotion to Erwin. Levi chose to follow Erwin and that was after the death of his former comrades.I don't see why the devotion unless I am missing out on some crucial aspect.
Kenny's relation with Uri was mere friendship though and he wasn't nearly as devoted to Uri the way Mikasa is to Eren or Levi is to Erwin. Their mutual friendship was something refreshing though, but I don't see a hardcore devotion as he freely let Uri get eaten by whoever was next in line and continued on his way to accomplishing his dream till the very end, finally finding himself under Rod's commands.
And lol yeah,Snk is a beautifully written Anime with tons of theories. It's amazing how the plot as a whole is interwoven so intricately that one can always use one event to pinpoint the happenings of the next. We can sure use some discussion to arrive at the answers though ^_^.

Last edited:

CollStar

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
The Ackermans show different levels of devotion (bacuse after all they are still different people with their own personality, even if they share some traits) :
- Mikasa has total devotion to a guy who risked his life/saved her/gave her a family and a reason to live, so... logic.
- Levi has less devotion to Erwin, but he cares about him (the "I will break your legs so you will not risk your life" thing) and never question his judgement.
- Kenny, a murderer and huge hater of the Reiss family, had enough friendship to stop all of his actions toward the Monarchy. He even became the right hand man of Uri. And after his death, he still remained at Uri's brother service. It's some kind of devotion (he even reminds Uri at his dying state : http://www.lirescan.com/shingeki-no-kyojin-lecture-en-ligne/69/36)

But this people do not seem to automatically trigger the Ackerman's powers :
- Mikasa was activated by Eren ("Fight, fight, fight !" : http://www.lirescan.com/shingeki-no-kyojin-lecture-en-ligne/6/24)
- Levi was already Levi before joining the SC (http://www.lirescan.com/shingeki-no-kyojin-lecture-en-ligne/69/16)
- Kenny too
Maybe it's simply something which come when a Ackerman is in danger for the first time in his life, even if Mikasa needed Eren...

Levi chose to follow Erwin. And that was after the death of his former comrades.I don't see why the devotion
Levi wanted to kill Erwin after the death of his friends. But Erwin convinced him/trigerred him in some way.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Interesting. Levi does question Erwin's judgment at key times (or we wouldn't have had that scene this chapter), but I have kind of felt each of them were "attached" to certain people. I wouldn't be surprised if that was an inherent tendency for them. In the past, they served the Reiss monarchy right? Maybe this loyalty/admiration thing was what drew them to the Reiss family in the beginning. Then, as Kenny told Levi, when they learned that everyone in the walls would die (or become titans or whatever disaster is coming) even though the royal family could do something about it, that connection between royals and Ackermans was severed. Maybe they each found someone else to admire from then on out.

Haze

Reaction score
Country
India
Going off topic for a moment.
Is that scene really the one where Levi unlocked his Ackerman power?Would make sense as Kenny walks away from him at that point,later stating Levi had everything he needed to survive in this world.Probably referring to his Ackerman power.
As for the Ackerman and the Reiss relationship.there are theories stating that they may be genetically engineered by the first king to serve as bodyguards to the Ackerman family.This is rather shaky though considering that the Ackerman could not be influenced by the first king's memory control himself,so am guessing they were bodyguards to the first king through their own free will.Be it due to reasons of the Reiss being the true kings of the land,or merely due to the job being one of the most prestigious ones.They did come about to betraying the King due to reasons @kannazuki mentions,after which they were started to being seen as threatening.Probably due to the fact that they were overpowered and at this point plead allegiance to no one.That's my take on it.
As for the relations the Ackerman seemed to have, your arguments did convince me a bit on that.Though so far it's only Mikasa that we see having this hardcore bond where she would go to any lengths to protect the one she loves.Levi wasn't nearly as obsessed with protecting Erwin(Didn't follow him outside the walls in the Clash of the Titans arc.) and neither was Kenny shown to be that way,but there does seem to exist a bond and a trust that these guys place in certain people and none other, now that think about it. I really want to hear more about the Ackerman though,as I am guessing they hold a much deeper significance to the plot than what has been mentioned to us this far.

Last edited:

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
You're trying to determine whether the Ackerman special powers relate to them having a "fated one" right? That's not off topic. I'm not sure what scene you mention, but I'm sure Levi gained his power either during or before the "Kenny departs as Levi fights" scene. Kenny specifically stated that the Ackermans turned on the Reiss only after it became clear that there was some terrible disaster coming and the Reiss were just going to let it happen. So there's no question that they have their free will. Clearly they *chose* who they wanted to be loyal to of their own accord, and once it turned out the Reiss family weren't worthy of their esteem, they turned their backs on them (and were feared and persecuted as a result). As far as we can tell so far though, their powers-- advantageous as they are-- don't relate to them being loyal to anybody (unless you count Levi being loyal to Kenny as a kid? I don't count that anyway).

Haze

Reaction score
Country
India
I'd been dwelling a bit on this and in fact there had been quite a few other characters to have had this sort of a bond too. For one Reiner and Berthold had this inseperable bond, and secondly Ymir and Historia are the next two people who immediately come to mind. This doesn't seem to be anything exclusive to the Ackermans and is more or less a case of humanly bonding that pretty much everyone is capable of. Except Mikasa and Eren's bond though. This was a case of severe alturism and is the only one that really stands out. That's my take on it atm.

nyan

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Isn't levi/erwin link from a non-canon manga?? why everyone see events of that manga as if they are canon? what am I missing here?

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
It sounds like you're reading this as a shipping thing? It isn't. (In fact I don't know about the OP but I happen to prefer Levi with someone else when it comes to shipping.) I don't know what non-canon manga you're referring to, but Levi clearly admires and respects Erwin. He's not going to be any more upfront about it than he is about how much pain his subordinates' and comrades' deaths have caused him, but both aspects of his character are obvious enough in the latest chapter, if not before.

Last edited:

Haze

Reaction score
Country
India
I'd be surprised to hear No Regrets being a non canon manga spin off. It explains Levi's backstory in a way that's totally legit and fits into the timeline very well.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
As I recall, Levi didn't care much for Erwin in most of ACWNR (to put it mildly!), so it would make little sense for this theory/interpretation to be based on it. They developed a good working relationship and friendship over time, like Kenny and Uri.

Last edited:

riccaXX

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I'd be surprised to hear No Regrets being a non canon manga spin off. It explains Levi's backstory in a way that's totally legit and fits into the timeline very well.
I would call it non canon since it doesn't really fit. Remember the chapter in SnK where Keith Shadis tells Erwin to save his new formation to the day he is the Commander? The Kieth Shadis in ACWNR is more like a puppet to Erwin.. even letting him try his new long-distance formation.. And in ACWNR we see Levi's little gang talk about the sky, and his reply is something about a long time since he saw the sky, but we learn in SnK that he was born and probably grew up in underground city. I guess the author did the best he could with the information that was out at the time he created ACWNR. Maybe he thought Levi was born on the surface and moved down later? I, for one, had a similar theory around the time the spin off had it's release.