Yeah, lately, none of Roy Halladay, CC, or Cliff Lee really worked out through free agency. Halladay got a perfect game, but apart from that, he hasn't been great. He's been good for the most part, although he's fallen away lately. Cliff Lee has just fallen apart. I never feel confident when CC's on the mound for us.
Roy Halladay won 21 games and the 2010 Cy Young Award at 33 years old. The Phillies won 97 games that year. He won 19 games in 2011, was Cy Young runner up, on a 102 win Phillies team. He was hampered by injuries last year, but played well down the stretch.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hallaro01.shtml
Cliff Lee was brilliant in half a season with the Phillies, helping them to 93 wins and the 2009 World Series, losing to C.C. Sabathia and the Yankees. He returned to the Phillies in 2011, winning 17 games on a 102 win team, finishing third in Cy Young voting behind Clayton Kershaw and Roy Halladay. He pitched well last year, with lack of run support killing his record.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/leecl02.shtml
In four seasons with the Yankees, C.C. Sabathia has won 19, 21, 19, and 15 games. Pitching in the AL East he has given up less than a HR a game (HR/9) every season, except 2012. He was the best pitcher on the 2009 World Series champion Yankees.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sabatc.01.shtml
All three can be considered good free agent (technically trade) pick ups, with Halladay and Sabathia being particularly good.
---------- Post added March 17, 2013 at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was March 11, 2013 at 12:44 AM ----------
Predictions:
NL East
- Nationals: 95 - 100 wins
- Braves: 90 - 95 wins
- Phillies: 80 - 85 wins
- Mets: 70 - 75 wins
- Marlins: 60 - 65 wins
NL Central
- Cincinnati: 90 - 95 wins
- St. Louis: 85 - 90 wins
- Milwaukee: 85 - 90 wins
- Pittsburgh: 70 - 75 wins
- Chicago Cubs: 65 - 70 wins
NL West
- San Fransisco: 90 - 95 wins
- Los Angeles 80 - 85 wins
- Arizona: 80 - 85 wins
- San Diego: 75 - 80 wins
- Colorado: 60 - 65 wins
AL East
- Baltimore: 90 - 95 wins
- Tampa: 85 - 90 wins
- Toronto: 85 - 90 wins
- New York: 75 - 80 wins
- Boston: 70 - 75 wins
AL Central
- Detroit: 85 - 90 wins
- Chicago White Sox: 85 - 90 wins
- Cleveland: 75 - 80 wins
- Kansas City: 75 - 80 wins
- Minnesota: 70 - 75 wins
Al West
- Oakland: 90 - 95 wins
- Anaheim: 80 - 85 wins
- Texas: 80 - 85 wins
- Seattle: 75 - 80 wins
- Houston: 50 - 55 wins
NL Wild Card:
- Atlanta
- St. Louis
AL Wild Card:
- Tampa
- Toronto
Boring, but I see little changing in the NL. The best teams last year either bolstered their lineup, or stood pat. The Dodgers made the splashiest moves, but I hate the composition of their team. I refuse to predict the playoffs for any team starting Josh Beckett, Hanley Ramirez, and Carl Crawford. San Fransisco is worlds better, and kept their entire team together. I'm not sure what to expect from Arizona. They have some solid players, but I'm not sure they have a complete team. I still could see them finishing ahead of LA. In the central, Milwaukee would have had a chance at the playoffs last year, if not for a horrible bullpen. That should be improved this season. Singing Tom Gorzelanny and Mike Gonzalez were good, savvy moves. Both were solid in long relief for the Nationals last year. Not all stars, but definite solutions to a major issue. If Josh Axford returns to form, the Brewers should push St. Louis for one of the wild card spots. In the east, I don't love the Upton brothers, but they should add some power to the Braves lineup. Between B.J, Justin, and Dan Uggla expect the Braves to lead the league in strike outs.
In the American league east I think the Orioles have the best overall lineup in the division, to go with solid starting pitching, and great closers. Toronto is getting all the hype, but I think there pitching is suspect. I like Dickey, and glad he is out of the NL East. I think that Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle though are washed up. Neither looked good in a cavernous, pitchers park last year. I still think they have enough to get a wild card spot. Tampa is suspect on offense, for now. I have a feeling Wil Meyers will be called up in late April, anchor the middle of their lineup, and win AL rookie of the year. With their pitching, that should be enough to earn the other wild card spot. In the central, neither Detroit nor Chicgao improved. Detroit should win the division, Chicago will probably fall just short of the wild card. Oakland will run away with the West. Anaheim is overrated. Trout is good, otherwise I don't like their lineup. Pujols struggled last year, has struggled in spring training, and probably will struggle this year. Maybe he will hit for average, his days hitting for power seem over. Hamilton's power numbers should go down, moving from a bandbox in Arlington, to a pitcher's park in Anaheim. Seattle is mediocre, Houston is terrible. Their new hats are nice though.