The Choco_Vanilla Thread!! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Choco_Vanilla Thread!!

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Who is she? Where did she come from? What does she like? Well let's ask her here :).

First questions: *points to ones above ;)*

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm betting she dropped from the sky!!! :o

How did you get interested in translating?

choco_vanilla

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Who am I :o
umm...well, Choco_vanilla for Gakuen Alice fans (a.k.a Shikamaru026 for naruto fan :p)
I dropped from the sky into a small town in Quebec (Canada) 28 years ago.
10 years ago I became a 3D CG animator/designer, for which I worked a few years in Montreal then warped myself 6 years and 10 months ago to Osaka, Japan, where I continued overworking in the CG anime world until a few years ago. I decided to work less and dedicate most of my time to my children (elsest 4, youngest 8 months). *I still freelance from home a little in design. *

How did I get interested in translating?
The first translation I ever made was for Inane, for whom I translated a little of the manga"Wolf's Rain" in exchange for a few raw naruto scans :amuse
I thought translating fun, so decided to try it out professionally, and now I sometimes translate stuff for japanese companies, like subtitling TV programms, and cosmetic panflets.*just like design, it's "sometimes" not "full time"*

After searching around the net for Gakuen Alice scans, and finding mostly chinese Edited Mangas, I wandered onto a GA fan "journal" where fans were posting comments ect.. and found THE WORST translation I had ever seen (sorry to the author..whoever you are), and so many fans were misunderstanding the story, so I first decided to correct those misunderstanding. And that was the start of my days getting buysier than expected with "Gakuen Alice". I started off by posting bimonthly summeries of the new chapters, then fully translating 1 chapter, and another and so on...

Since mid-december I've joined up with Aeriescans to try and create full english Edited Mangas of all of the GA manga (though I have to admit part of the reason is the selfish want of getting the raws.... ;))
☆☆☆

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Where can we download the Edited Mangas that's been done of Gakuen Alice?

choco_vanilla

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Chapter 1 to 11 (12 very soon to come) are available on #aerie@irchighway
N.B. chapter 1 to 10 were not tanslated by me and were made, I think, from chinese to english. chapters 11+ are translated by me.

chapters 8 to 11 are available for direct dl on: http://www.freewebs.com/fragiledreams/GakuenAlice/Edited Mangas.html
(this site should very soon have missing chapters available too and newest chapters since the maker of this site is the one editing the newest chapter scans with my traslations)

For the rest, I'll try and make it all available here on choco_vanilla's translations forum. :smile-big

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
choco_vanilla said:
After searching around the net for Gakuen Alice scans, and finding mostly chinese Edited Mangas, I wandered onto a GA fan "journal" where fans were posting comments ect.. and found THE WORST translation I had ever seen (sorry to the author..whoever you are), and so many fans were misunderstanding the story, so I first decided to correct those misunderstanding. And that was the start of my days getting buysier than expected with "Gakuen Alice". I started off by posting bimonthly summeries of the new chapters, then fully translating 1 chapter, and another and so on...

(though I have to admit part of the reason is the selfish want of getting the raws.... ;))
☆☆☆
You and I have a lot in common :p

Great post and thanks for joining :D.

P.s. got the manga you "ordered" :p.

choco_vanilla

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Recently, "my boom": 最近のマイ・ブーム
☆その壱:Remioromen レミオロメン.. really love that band. Anyone who can, check 'em out, it's worth it!
☆その弐:蟲師Mushishi..some peeps call it plain weird, but I LOVE IT! manga also recomended :smile-big
☆その参:Naked Ape... love their works....called shounen, but gotta admit their stuff might be tough on the male stomach;p
☆いつまでも:河童!カッパ!Kappa! Found a really cute green and white Kappa towel at Tokyu Hands the other day....couldn't resist... :p

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Thanks Choco. Sounds like a plan to make these translations available here.

Will you post a translation of Chapter 1 soon? I wouldn't like to be misled by the "terrible translation" you mentioned before.

I know I said I was primarily a Shonen guy in that other thread, but I also recently read a shoujo title called Nana and I love it. So I'm willing to try this one too. ;)[br]Posted at: January 10, 2006, 03:25:31 PM_________________________________________________* * * * *

When uploading the last chapter (again) to the FTP (since we had server problems) I took a peek at it. Very cutesy art. :amuse

Anyway, not sure if you keep tabs on your thread, but I've done a Gakuen Alice Links thread - which should help things stay organized.

Let me know through PMs if there is ever anything I need to change or add.

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
Reaction score
Country
United States
GK told me that you are the only female translator here. It will be so wrong if I dont come here and wish you all the best for your future translating career.

Questions:

Is your current life busy with extra e-life happening around your normal life?
How much do you enjoy e-life compare to real life? Why?
If there is one thing that you can change in your past, what will it be?

Bonus question, what is the easiest thing about learning Japanese and what is the hardest thing of learning Japanese?

choco_vanilla

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for coming in to say hi! :smile-big

Is your current life busy with extra e-life happening around your normal life?
Sure is busy. But I only use part of my extra time for e-life, which is little :s

How much do you enjoy e-life compare to real life? Why?
I think I enjoy it as much as I enjoy real life. Or maybe I should say my e-life is making my real life even more fun with all the downloads :smile-big I LOVE DOWNLOADING^^;
*Recently I've been totally caught up in playing the internet role playing game RED STONE with my hubby and some friends...we're having a blast...but I think the black puffs under my eyes are telling me I lack of sleep :p*

If there is one thing that you can change in your past, what will it be?
Absolutely nothing! 'cause that would mean not having the life I got now.....but if I could change something it would be having promised to my husband that I'd be able to wear a bikini this summer....I keep blaming the extra pounds on "having given birth to 2 kids"...but I think it's mostly just plane lazyness :s

Bonus question, what is the easiest thing about learning Japanese and what is the hardest thing of learning Japanese?
Um..I think the easiest thing was learning to read "Hiragana" and "Katakana". The hardest would be understanding the little differences in extremely similar words.(Lots of that in japanese) But when you get used to those, expressing one's feeling becomes easier and more precise in japanese than english(or french) :amuse

★For free and fun Japanese e-TV check out Gyao! http://www.gyao.jp/

Star_Dust

It's very nice to meet you?!

Hi there!! :smile-big
Well I'm just here to say...
" Thank you very very much!!! :smile-big "
for your hard work in translating the manga's especially Gakuen Alice! :smile-big
I bet all of us who read's it are very thankful and appreciate all your hard work!!
so I guess that's all! :smile-big
best of luck to you!!

Miso

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello choco_vanilla!

First thing I want to say is: thank you very much for your Gakuen Alice Translation :hug! I think it's a wonderful Shoujo Manga and I enjoy reading it.

Question: What is the most you hate about certain people? I.e. which character trait?
What do you like most about certain ppl?

choco_vanilla

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks Star-Dust! Thanks Miso!Glad you're enjoying GA. :smile-big
To answer Miso's questions: thing I hate most in people is Hipocracy ~did I spell that right `~`
You know....the type of people who smile and tell you "it's always so nice talking with you" then turn around and tell others "I don't trust that foreigner mom, she could go berserk like that chinese woman on the news and kill our kids".....←those living in japan probably know what I'm talking about.
What I like most in people is......friendliness....you knnow, the type of people who give without expectig anything back......*that's why I love njt so much. He just gives and gives and gives so many downloadsヾ(´▽`*)ゝ* アハハハ☆  Ah~I love downloading.
Been going crazy trying to download Remioromen's newest song "Taiyou no shita de太陽の下で” Anyone who has it SEND PLEASE!!!!!
Recent events in my life, except for downloading and the whole family catching the flu over and over and over...... Well, my eldest son who turned 4 last November, will be starting kindergarten April 10. Been a bit busy for that past 2 months going to the school preperation meetings, sewing his lunch box, cup and shoe bag and nameing & decorating his school bags and clothes. In Japan, for the first year of Kindergarten, elementary, junior-High and High-school there is a "entrance celebration". Parents dress up all nice, moms in pastel colored suits ect... For this event, my husband baught me a new Houmongi*Kimono for celebrations(short sleeves for married woman* ( it's my 3rd, but the first high quality new one. Though most japanese like buying new ordermade, I like going around the used Kimono shops. So many treasure's!)And now on a few spare moments I'm studying Kimono history and design. Maybe when I get a bit older I'll change careers to Kimono coordinator :p My next goal is to get 2 more "daily style" *Komon ect* kimono and a few casual Obi (belts) and a new less flashy Yukata for the summer. Gonna enjoy "kimono day out" in Kyoto with friends. Another goal is to convince my husband to wear a Yukata too. But I can expect it'll take a few more years before I can convince him.....*he can be pretty stubborn :darn*
This Year my eldest wil be 5, so we will celebrate his 七五三Shichi go san 7-5-3 in November(just like his birthday). Gotta buy..or maybe rent...his kimono for this too. Maybe I'll just buy...since my secind is also a boy and my eldest could wear it on New years too... :amuse
On my sick days, I downloaded the manhwa Goon and TV drama Goon. Not bad. So I tried to check out a few other manhwa's but was extremely dissapointed in the art and stories. So I'll just stick to Goon, though the manhwa itself seemes to have been liscenced and probably Edited Mangas stopped. But that's ok, I'll just watch the tv drama. I'm pretty satisfied with just that. Though I must not get caught by my husband or he'll laugh at me as much as he's laughing at his mom who's totallly into K-drama and Lee Byung Hun :eyeroll
Ah~ Haven't watched the news recently....I really need to get up to date....missed my favorite shows on saturday 'cause of a stomach ache.~不思議発見!マミちゃんのお父さんのためのワイドショー講座!スマステーション!・・・・見たかった :darn

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Hypocrisy. Yeah, I hate that too, especially when people try to pass themselves off as morally superior when behind the scenes they're just as bad as anybody else, sometimes worse.

Hope you're feeling better Choco. These kimonos sound cool ;)

choco_vanilla

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Felt good for a week, then caught another cold.......darn weather. Was hot a few days, and now back to winter cold. But still in all that wind and cold you can see workers getting drunk under the yet to bloom cherry blossoms :p Gotta love the "Hanami" ゜ヽ(*´∀`)ノ゜
Since it's almost the start of school, and everyone will be rushing to get their hair done, last week I left the kids at their grandmother's and went to get my hair cut (and permed....a little wave which has already pretty much flattened out 。(*´ェ`*) For the first time I went to a hair dresser which gives 10% discounts to foreigners. Lots of nice young male hair dressers and I had to end up with the 40 year old one...... :darn anyways, the assistant who washed and massaged was a nice young girl, real talkative. Actually so talkative I didn't feel at all the head massage. *Japanese hair dressers give great head massages btw* In the end, I didn't get exactly the cut I wanted, and got a bit of a fluffy head now, but it's better than the dreadful short cut I had gotten 5 months ago so guess I could say I was satisfied. But since 2 days ago I've been recieveing post cards from the guy who did my hair, telling me about his daily life, his fat cat Taro and his wish to see me smile again...........today is the 3rd card I get.....it's getting pretty creepy....Hubby says I should call the cops, but wouldn't that be overreacting?

Miso

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Wow...choco...the kimono thing really sounds interesting. :o
The ones I saw on TV, photos and other pictures are really wonderful. It's such an interesting way to dress.

Is it difficult for a foreigner to live in Japan? Because Japan is so different from Canada...? And you mentioned the other mothers who were fake only because you are not japanese?

Ah...hair cut. I had the same problem 2 months ago. I was so proud of my grown hair but the style was messed up. So I got my hair cut and afterwards I looked horrible. At least I think so (my family said it wasn't that bad). I was soooo sad.

Now my hair is grown a bit again. I hope this time it won't be screwed up...@__@

Postcards from the hairdresser: hmmz... it's a bit strange I would say. But I won't call the cops yet, I think....wait a bit and hope that it'll stop?

alice1902

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
hallo everyone :smile-big

uhm...i´m new here sry i can´t speak english i´m german... :darn
but i hope you can undesrtand me... :amuse
ähm...i want to say very much to you because one of my friends really likes you and i´ve registrerd me only for this things i want to tell you but now i´ve forgotten all....

well can i ask you all things here i wan to ask you? :amuse
or is this angainst the rules...(<---hope you can undesrtand thzat... :blink...)

see you again :amuse
alice1902

PS.:my favourite manga is alice academy/gakuen alice i love it so very much!!!!!!!!! ><;

choco_vanilla

Translator
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks. Because of health problems I haven't done much on GA since last summer, but now my health is back on track and very soon I'll be back translating Gakuen Alice (or at least making summeries for starters^^;). :smile-big

Oh. P.S. alice1902 Go ahead and ask what ever you want.

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Hi choco_vanilla,

Great to see you back again! How's real life for you now?

Few questions :-

- What are your favourite shoujo/josei series?
- Is Gakuen Alice going to be the only translation you going to do?
- How long do you take to do one translation?
- Just read that you like Naked Ape too! I thought they are a group, and I like their works too, just that the manga are only avaliable in Japanese, very hard for me to get my hands on. So which Naked Ape series do you recommend a must-read? :hbunny

gleine020104

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
so..
*reading the older post of this thread*
this is choco_vanilla-sama's get to know her thread eh?

so far i just thi few questions in my mind...
1. is my understanding correct? that you're a mother? because i thought your single ^^ but then i am glad. how did you manage your time? don't you have any difficulties in translating the GA manga?

2. what are your hobbies aside from writing translations? ^^