Discussion The Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegreatest08

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
360
Reaction score
7
Age
35
Gender
Hidden
Country
Australia
^^ agreeing wif u, messi played awesome for barca, coming of the bench and winning it for them, simply awesome.
 

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Yeah, and also the legendary Maradona's fair play seems to have been inherited by him as well...
Cluj keeps surprising, now with a home draw against Chelsea. I think Drogba will go back to injury. He's done if he keeps rushing into the fields.
Aguero keeps on fire and he's already the top goalscorer of the CL and the great surprise of the day was Anorthosis. 3-1 over panathinaikos (tough that historic 1st goal was laughable).

I saw the 1st half of Inter vs Bremen. I was enjoying the match, very open, mainly because Inter started with Balotelli, Zlatan and Adriano together. I'm very impressed with Adriano. I'd say he's back and if Inter can play with this tactic more often, he'll get and take his chances.
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
I wasn't surprised by Anorthosis to be honest, like I said they're a dark horse but Bremen and Panathinaikos have very weak defenses this season. If they just play well, and have Inter mess up against them, they will win the second spot.


So Milan is building a dream team of sorts.
Apparently they recently set the record straight that they wanted Ibrahimovic 2 years ago, but Inter ended up with him. Now they're saying they want Sergio Ramos because they need someone for that position and his contract is apparently ending.

So.. if they get him and they get a really good goalkeeper as well as a crazy defensive midfielder.. they would be like the RM of 2003..
 
Last edited:

sk.nite

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 19, 2008
Messages
227
Reaction score
8
Gender
Hidden
Country
Argentina
Almost everone with brains in my country can see that (about 35% of the population)...the rest are completely biased and want Riqueme to run the team just like he does with Boca....guess what, Riquelme: the international refs aren't gonna "take care" of you like the argentinian refs do! I'm shocked that some people still consider that turtle as Argentina's star....they need to know there's a little shy guy called Messi who can maybe do a bit better than this cold-hearted bastard who is currently killing any chance we have of a fast and effective gameplay:blink

You got that percentage too high, dude. I'd still take him when we play away in hot climate areas (for refrigerating purposes).

Argentina sure is finding trouble replacing some spots. I dont think the problem is the attack, as Aguero and Milito are on top form, but I agree Riquelme should be replaced. In Portugal, I havent seen enough of Aimar to say he's back at the great old times, but Lucho Gonzalez is magic. He runs Porto's game with superb class. Our best player and goes better every season. Still, I was told he's not convincing when playing for Argentina. Aside from the problem finding an attacking midfielder, Argentina has top class defensive midfielders like Cambiasso, Banega, Gago or Mascherano. I wonder if Messi could play as a true number 10 in a classic 4-4-2:

Defense Mid: Banega
Right Mid: Lucho
Left Mid: Cambiasso
10: Messi

strikers: Aguero Milito
Something like this...
Messi likes to organize the play and to break trough the center with 1-2 combinations with the strikers, so I think it'd be worth a try
Lucho? Milito (the bad one)? BANEGA?


There ARE postitions that need to be filled, however. The lack of full-backs doesn't concern me particularly, since I think we can perfectly play with 3 in the back, as long as we get rid of dead weight like Jabondanzieri, Heinze, etc. In short, it would be a 3-3-1-3 like in the good times, and the lack of attacking power from the midfielders would be compensated by the wingers. The main problem with this strategy is that we lack a centerforward, and it's a big problem. So big that some 'wise' fellow countrymen suggsted that we play with PALERMO as a number 9. That made me laugh for days...

I totally agree. Riquelme would be the perfect player for Italy. He's a similar type of player as Veron imo. Veron's best years were when he played in Italy and perhaps Riquelme could have given it a try if he werent in Boca like fish in water. But for Argentina's current NT, Riquelme is way off the offset.

You definitely got this backwards. Riquelme is the worst kind of player for Italy, and his style differs a lot from JSV. First of all, HielelmeRiquelme tends to hold up the ball a lot, and you can rarely see him making a long pass (which is JSV's specialty and a counterattacking team like Italy's main attack style, btw). Also, in Italy, if you are a midfielder (even if you're a forward) you have to mark. Now tell me, have you ever seen him stealing ONE FUCKING BALL? I thought so. But I'd better stop critizicing him or otherwise Juan Román's mommy will get sick from the stress...
 
Last edited:

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Both Lucho and Diego Milito are on top form right now. Porto's football always goes trough Lucho, and we can see the difference when he's not there. He got into the Arsenal vs Porto match injured and he's in doubt for the classic, but you can ask any fan from the other rivals, they'd tell you Lucho is the best player in the league. I was told he isnt performing so good in Argentina's NT, but I think he'd do much better than Riquelme.

As for Diego Milito, he's in amazing shape. He's scoring every match and he's the 2nd best topgoalscorer already, even tough he's playing in a minor team as Genova. His characteristics differ alot from Aguero, and they may be a good double in Argentina's attack. I believe its better than having 2 strikers with similar characteristics like Aguero and Tevez.

Riquelme may be different since the days I watched him play for Vilarreal. He was actually on of the best when it came to long pass technique and he combined very well with Forlan. The fact that he holds up the ball alot is a characteristic of Italy's midfielders, not Argentina's (of course he doesnt hold the ball in a counter attack...) and the main problem with him is that no one has found the way of putting him retrieving balls. If he hasnt learned till now, its not now he's going to (unless someone points him a gun and makes him do it... oh no, then again, his mommy could get sick from the stress right? xD )
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Hahah, holy shit Real was crazy tonight.

I really feel sorry for my fav player but still.. that real was insane. Too bad they don't play like this every night.


I read today that Arshavin's manager is asking the president of Zenit to discuss a transfer to the Premier League, the only club to CURRENTLY have shown interest is Arsenal. Zenit won't let him go for less than 30, but I'm glad. It's going to be really good for his career, and he's a very charismatic player that I believe can help out certain teams in England enough.

For example I was recently discussing how well he would fit into Liverpool with a friend, and how I hope Chelsea doesn't go near him. As for M.U. .. they already have all the offensive spots filled, and he doesn't deserve to be benched, especially the way he's been performing lately.

So anyway, here's to hoping we see him in a team like Liverpool/Arsenal in January. It would at least (for me) make either of those teams a little more interesting.
 
Last edited:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
who Arshavin? as an arsenal fan....i don't think he would bring anything that our team aint already got...

what we need is a center back and and a centre midfielder like diego from werder bremen or someone experience who can come in and do the job straight away...

we lost two of our best players this season(flamini and hleb) and we aint replaced them... so that's our priority i think, not another striker...
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
I read today that Arshavin's manager is asking the president of Zenit to discuss a transfer to the Premier League, the only club to CURRENTLY have shown interest is Arsenal. Zenit won't let him go for less than 30, but I'm glad. It's going to be really good for his career, and he's a very charismatic player that I believe can help out certain teams in England enough.

For example I was recently discussing how well he would fit into Liverpool with a friend, and how I hope Chelsea doesn't go near him. As for M.U. .. they already have all the offensive spots filled, and he doesn't deserve to be benched, especially the way he's been performing lately.

So anyway, here's to hoping we see him in a team like Liverpool/Arsenal in January. It would at least (for me) make either of those teams a little more interesting.
I doubt it is Arsenal. His agent is quoted as saying "It’s going to be a very big transfer. Zenit can afford not to sell him cheaply.” Wenger wanted to sign him, but bulked at how much they wanted (i heard sp*rs offered 20 milllion but it was still refused) which pretty much sums it up. Its either chelsea or liverpool. Ferguson already spent a lot of money and i doubt he will spend more to have someone on the bench. Chelsea are in desperate need of a striker/strike partner. Anelka is mis-firing on all cylinders, drogba is injured (again!) and is on the wrong side of 30, and the only other option is young di santo who has never scored in a competitive match for chelsea. While liverpool have decent amount of striking option, but benitez might try to bolster it.
Hahah, holy shit Real was crazy tonight.

I really feel sorry for my fav player but still.. that real was insane. Too bad they don't play like this every night.
You mean the barca-atleti match? I wanted to watch it but i couldnt in the end. After i heard the result i was so pissed off, i had to settle for highlights :(. But real is playing them next week so i might catch that one. Btw, is it me or does it seem like every match real plays next its the one that barca has just played...suspicious :ninja
what we need is a center back and and a centre midfielder like diego from werder bremen or someone experience who can come in and do the job straight away...

we lost two of our best players this season(flamini and hleb) and we aint replaced them... so that's our priority i think, not another striker...
I actually see nasri as a good replacement for hleb. He has already scored two in about 6 appearences, while it usually took hleb a whole season to reach only 3. And he offers more pace, so he can take on the fullbacks and get behind them instead of only cutting in. But i agree with flamini. He left a huge hole to fill, Denilson is not a holding midfielder...he is too...creative. Already he is one of the top assitors in the league, but we really dont need that (that Cesc's job >.>). And it means were more vulnerable at the back, which then brings about the theory that we need a 7ft centre back...
 
Last edited:

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
If you're looking for a center back, Porto's Bruno Alves should be an option for a big transfer next summer. Although he was completely out of it against Arsenal, he's still the best in our league and it was proven against Sporting this weekend (yes, Porto won 2-1 away xD). He was The reason we won that match. I can tell he didnt have much proposals because he's shadowed by Pepe and Ricardo Carvalho at Portugal's NT. He may use Carvalho's constant injuries to show himself with Portugal.

Concerning Arshavin, his style would fit in Arsenal perfectly in van Persie's position. Of course no team should give away 30M€ for a 30 year old player who would have to fight alot for his spot in the 11. I really dont expect him to be sold. Perhaps in 1 or 2 seasons, when his value decreases and if he keeps his amazing performances
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
He's 27 and I doubt it'll actually be 30M, probably 22M. But as for being worth the money, yea I'd say he is for a 5 year deal, especially when you consider the amount clubs give to forwards that can't even make a good pass/cross.

The reason he didn't go to other clubs that offered the 20M is because he stated he wanted to play in the Ch. League, otherwise he would probably stay in Zenit.


So, an update on Milan wanting Sergio Ramos, now they want Fabregas also.. I'm really looking forward to the winter transfers..
 
Last edited:

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I doubt that Wenger will let Fabregas go, he's really awesome and letting him go to Milan is like giving up one of his prized investments. Arsenal doesnt seem to be in any financial trouble (unless the world's economy collapse reached the football world). :D
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Well, the football world is funded by investors, who no doubt had stocks in the Dow/Nasdaq..
Also M.U. is owned by an American Bank (Ronaldo sale) and England's economy is more closely tied to Wall Street, than Italy's. But who knows?

Honestly I was just saying Milan has a chance because Arsenal has a history of selling off it's star players since they are expendable (due to the bench being as good as the starters) and I dunno.. Milan could use the boost in morale since they aren't in the Ch. League this year. Still I think they should aim for a goalkeeper more so than a midfielder.
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
Well, the football world is funded by investors, who no doubt had stocks in the Dow/Nasdaq..
Also M.U. is owned by an American Bank (Ronaldo sale) and England's economy is more closely tied to Wall Street, than Italy's. But who knows?

Honestly I was just saying Milan has a chance because Arsenal has a history of selling off it's star players since they are expendable (due to the bench being as good as the starters) and I dunno.. Milan could use the boost in morale since they aren't in the Ch. League this year. Still I think they should aim for a goalkeeper more so than a midfielder.
Your right, the economic climate is definitely not helping our football. Less money for people to spend means lower attendances. The attendances are already dropping at some clubs, like the Sunderland - arsenal match at the stadium of light only got about 40,000 when the same time last season is was 47,000. Although it is affecting the lower leagues more.

As for the rumours, i would be more interested if the player would want to go? I honestly don't see Fabregas leaving for Italy. If he goes i would bet it would be for barca or madrid. And isnt Ramos suppose to be signing on of those life-time contracts? If he is, than i would doubt he is going anywhere. And true, milan dont need more midfielders. More like another top class striker, a good keeper, and decent defenders.


I hate international breaks...just more injury misery. :( England's playing in a couple of hours and it would be interesting to see what the line-up is. Gerrard is fit so the debate on whether or not he can play with lampard could be settled, today. Anyway ING-GUUR-LAAAND!!

And portugal have sweden, while germany has russia. So good night for football (and a good thing no arsenal players are playing in those matches...they'll probably end up breaking something) :p
 
Last edited:

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Great night for football, it is rare that I would be so proud, but I present to you: Greece's finest goals in a very long time. The first 2 at least, the first was brilliant, and was practiced by King Otto although I can't say it would have worked on a more experienced team.

The second was.. probably because Katsouranis has been doing well with Benfica. I've noticed if he plays well there, he is amazing with Greece, when he's mad and he wants to leave Benfica because they didn't lend him to Chlesea, he plays like garbage with Greece.

So Cassillas broke a record for minutes played without having a goal scored on him recently.. last goal scored on him was in the Greece match by Charisteas (even though we lost). Funny thing is, Greek people don't like Charisteas anymore, he's one of the reasons we think the team isn't getting ahead. But.. w/e.

Congrats to Argentina on the win! And to England for the 5 goals.. let's hope they keep it up past the group stages this time.
 
Last edited:

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Sweden vs Portugal was boooooring. Zlatan wasnt in the mood to send new videos to youtube, and when the press in Sweden pointed out the Swedish females as a major factor that could lead Cristiano Ronaldo to loose focus on the match, I was kinda hoping the stadium would be full of top less Swedish girls... but nop

Brazil won 4-0 against Venezuela. Katsouranis scored the goal of his life, but Kaka and Robinho were also very inspired
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Yea I was about to post about the Brazil game also. It looks like Argentina and Brazil are back on the right road, but Brazil was very impressive with Kaka, Adriano, Robinho. Maybe it is best they not use Pato and Ronaldhino, with this experienced and steady team they are more consistent than using just young players or depending on Ronaldhino as captain who at the moment, can't really do what Brazil needs.

Is there a reason Danny only played 4 minutes by the way? Does Queiroz not trust him?
 
Last edited:

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Yea I was about to post about the Brazil game also. It looks like Argentina and Brazil are back on the right road, but Brazil was very impressive with Kaka, Adriano, Robinho. Maybe it is best they not use Pato and Ronaldhino, with this experienced and steady team they are more consistent than using just young players or depending on Ronaldhino as captain who at the moment, can't really do what Brazil needs.

Is there a reason Danny only played 4 minutes by the way? Does Queiroz not trust him?
Perhaps. I didnt quite understand the replacements he made, as we played without center forward starting on the 1st substitution at 60'. Danny is a player that had some impact on Sporting CP some years ago. That impact was enough for him to get transfered but not enough for Portugal's NT. Then he disappeared completely and only this past season he appeared and he did it with a bang, starting to unleash magic on the pitch and transfering for those huge 30M€ for Zenit. Its still unknown if his irregular side will appear and he stops playing like he is, but right now, he should be a 1st team regular or at least a joker in the bench... Its a shame Queiroz was satisfied with the draw
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
I mention him because other than the fact that Zenit was doing very well until recently, he's also been extremely dominant in his performances. I mean, the mastery of the midfielder position like Danny has had this season is a very rare sight and you just enjoy watching players like this play.

I don't like to make exaggerations but he could very well do what Zidane did for France, for Portugal.
 

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I don't like to make exaggerations but he could very well do what Zidane did for France, for Portugal.
I think you're exaggerating. I hope you arent! :P
 

Saintz0r

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
1,414
Reaction score
192
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Ha! Another record broken by our dear Dunga...
He already had given us the happiness of the 5th position, and now for the first time in 94 years of history we're 3 consecutive games at home without scoring A SINGLE GOAL. Nice, huh?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top