Discussion The Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I wish they would, but he doesnt fit in the new 4-4-2 formation and in the old 4-3-3, Queiroz usually plays Ronaldo and Simao, who have more reputation than Nani.
 

L0ki

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
336
Reaction score
101
Gender
Hidden
Country
Argentina
If it weren't because we play against a horrible, horrible team like Peru next match I'd say we're screwed. Maradona coach. What a joke.
 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Mendes, I doubt you'll be 3rd after Sweden, seeing as we won with only 1-0 vs Malta after a Maltese scored in his own goal in the 81st minute. A game which Sweden shouldn't have won with the gameplay they had, and a game that they played in Stockholm. I guess they were too satisfied with having Zlatan winning on the lotto (lucked the 2-1goal vs Hungary)
 

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Mendes, I doubt you'll be 3rd after Sweden, seeing as we won with only 1-0 vs Malta after a Maltese scored in his own goal in the 81st minute. A game which Sweden shouldn't have won with the gameplay they had, and a game that they played in Stockholm. I guess they were too satisfied with having Zlatan winning on the lotto (lucked the 2-1goal vs Hungary)
But Denmark and Sweden are friend nations. I hope Denmark doesnt give Sweden a lift :/
 

Saintz0r

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
1,414
Reaction score
192
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
1- Brasil - 33
2- Paraguai - 30

3- Chile - 27
4- Equador - 23
5- Argentina - 22
6- Uruguai - 21
7- Venezuela - 21
8- Colombia - 20

Brasil and Paraguai already classified, Chile only needs one victory, but might go to the Wc even if loses both games. Argentina plays against Peru and then goes to Montevideu to play against Uruguai... they HAVE to win against Peru, otherwise they'll be lucky if they manage to get in 5th and play against 4th of Concacaf
I'm guessing Chile in 3rd, Equador in 4th and Argentina in 5th ( hopefully not qualifying :XD )

ps: Messi playing for Argentina reminds me of ronaldinho Gaucho in 2006 :p


◆ T.D.A ◆ said:
Capello's England looks solid. We now look like a team and can play football. There's also strength in depth now.
Yup, I had forgotten to say, but I'm more worried about England than Spain for instance. After their loss against Usa I just can't help wondering if they won't lose against some team with no tradition in the Wc. Honestly, I think that's likely, but we'll see :p
 
Last edited:

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Capello's England looks solid. We now look like a team and can play football. There's also strength in depth now.
 

ibra87

天のデンマーク語
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,110
Reaction score
1,288
Country
Denmark
I guess we can count ourselves unlucky. We lost 2 games with Denmark where we should have won for 4/5 goals with the amount of chances we missed.
Eh...? It's not that you guys missed chances as much as the obvious penalty you guys weren't given. We were so happy the referee didn't count it even though it was clear as day in the replay.

But yeah, this might shape up to be a boring WC... Especially when Del Piero hasn't played in Italy's national team yet. But then again Denmark might get far this time if they didn't repeat the fiasco against Albania.


And no Mendes, we will try to beat up Sweden, since our qualification isn't 100% yet. Plus we've never been friends with the swedes...
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Messi and Ronaldo can't be legendary if they can't get lead their countries to glory or at least qualify for the WC :p
 

Lelo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
2,172
Reaction score
196
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Lebanon
^ Exactly. And it wouldnt be much of a world cup without them and their teammates
 

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Plus we've never been friends with the swedes...
:)
Lets go back to Euro 2004! Group C with Italy, Bulgaria, Denmark and Sweden. Italy needed to win against Bulgaria in the last round and hope that the other match between Sweden and Denmark wouldnt end in a tie 2-2 or with more goals. Italy struggled but in the last minute they celebrated Cassano's goal and with the 2-1 result in the Sweden-Denmark match they celebrated the qualifying to the next round. But just as they scored that goal, Sweden scored with a flaw by the danish GK, which settled that one result that would kick Italy out of the Cup.
Its probably a coincidence, but the fact is I'm worried. I hope Denmark do fight for the 1st spot in the group.

It'd be fun to see Portugal go to the playoffs and have to play France xD
 

L0ki

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
336
Reaction score
101
Gender
Hidden
Country
Argentina
Messi and Ronaldo can't be legendary if they can't get lead their countries to glory or at least qualify for the WC :p
Football is a team sport, unfortunately for them.
 

thsv

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
280
Reaction score
35
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
:)
Lets go back to Euro 2004! Group C with Italy, Bulgaria, Denmark and Sweden. Italy needed to win against Bulgaria in the last round and hope that the other match between Sweden and Denmark wouldnt end in a tie 2-2 or with more goals. Italy struggled but in the last minute they celebrated Cassano's goal and with the 2-1 result in the Sweden-Denmark match they celebrated the qualifying to the next round. But just as they scored that goal, Sweden scored with a flaw by the danish GK, which settled that one result that would kick Italy out of the Cup.
Its probably a coincidence, but the fact is I'm worried. I hope Denmark do fight for the 1st spot in the group.

It'd be fun to see Portugal go to the playoffs and have to play France xD
Ah how I laughed that night. The funny thing is from what I remember of the first two goals it'd hard to scream conspiracy. I'm praying for a France-Portugal playoff as well, in order to keep up the curse of the semi finalist.
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Fantasy Football is back on for UEFA.com

Mangahelpers head to head league: 56073-12343
Mangahelpers regular league: 56073-12362

(join both)
 
Last edited:

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Football is a team sport, unfortunately for them.
The thing is the legendary players in the past like Zidane, Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, all did something for their country and led their team to glory.
 

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
The thing is the legendary players in the past like Zidane, Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, all did something for their country and led their team to glory.
So true
 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Well, I know that game was pretty... weird.. but I doubt that the Danish team wants to take Sweden with them, actually, I think they want to do whatever they can to NOT let us qualify. The fact that they have an opportunity to close our chance to get to the WC in RSA is too tempting. I know I'd want to make sure the Danish team wouldn't be able to qualify, if we could.
 

KnuckleheadedNinja

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
5,576
Reaction score
2,079
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
Man Utd 4 life baby, and the haters said we can't win without C. Ronaldo.

And what a celebration by Adebayor. Best celebration ever, and Arsenal fans deserve even single bit of it.

Can't wait to see the next Man City vs. Arsenal game. There will be blood.
 

L0ki

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
336
Reaction score
101
Gender
Hidden
Country
Argentina
The thing is the legendary players in the past like Zidane, Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo, all did something for their country and led their team to glory.
They all had great teams backing them up. That doesn't seem to be the case here. Despite having the potential to build up a pretty decent team, Argentina is like a horde of headless chickens running on the field (the prime example of this behavior would be Tévez). And Portugal has never given me the impression of being a strong team, just having a couple of good players now and then. The point is, no player can win matches on his own, not even those you mentioned. Moreover, Messi and C. Ronaldo aren't the kind of players who can take control of their team's play, they're most confortable when receiving the ball close to the goal with not so many defenders in front of them. So while they're in teams which cannot provide such opportunities their talents will be wasted.
 

thsv

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
280
Reaction score
35
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
And Portugal has never given me the impression of being a strong team, just having a couple of good players now and then.
I've said that before. The thing is Portugal suddenly had a crop of decent players and everyone speaks about them like they're the Dutch. Before Euro 96 the last time they had qualified for a senior tournament was France 84 and then Mexico 86. Before that was England 66 (I don't think they got to Mexico 4 years later). The fact is thanks to changes in qualifying Portugal and certain other nation (Yes I'm looking at you England. You did well this time but it could have gone oh so wrong) now have better odds at qualifying for tournaments. Which I suppose is why they look so great at the moment since they've been in everything since Euro 2000. Hell I think Belgium have a better qualifying record for the World Cup. And they aren't very good right now.
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
But Portugal aren't a bad team, they still have a lot of world class players (well WC for their clubs at least), they should be playing better, I guess even a team with great players can fail if it doesn't have a good manager, England under McClaren is a good example.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top