Discussion The Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
heh portugal won! xD its almost a shame we only won 2-1 against cazaquistan (no offense to any cazaquistan guy) coz we are better than this, but we're more confortable in this group. I started to fear with the thought of not participating in the next Euro Cup when we drawed 2 consecutive games at home...
I'd appreciate a resume of the euro qualifying games results (2 drunk to see it right now... go to sleep :|)
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
England lost though:oh .....

won 2-1 against cazaquistan
that always happens to me -_-; its actually spelt kazakhstan (i only learnt the correct spelling after borat entered my life :XD)
 

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
England lost though:oh .....



that always happens to me -_-; its actually spelt kazakhstan (i only learnt the correct spelling after borat entered my life :XD)
i'm sorry for englang, you are in a pretty hard position now, right?

thanks... so its kazakhstan, huh? i never know, even tough i see borat... cant understand what's he spelling either when he speaks of his 'home nation' :P
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
I really hate our striker Gekas.. I don't care how good he is in the Budesliga, he's garbage as a national. He misses the easiest goals ever.

Brazil - Ecuador 5-0.. and what a game.
 

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I really hate our striker Gekas.. I don't care how good he is in the Budesliga, he's garbage as a national. He misses the easiest goals ever.
I know what you mean :P We also have a striker like that: Nuno Gomes. You may know him from benfica and he even played in a strong fiorentina some years ago, but right now he's absolutely trash. He not only misses the easiest goals, but he also gets in the way of our other players. He cant put pressure on the defenders, cant play backwards to support the midfielders, cant win an aerial battle with No one...

Last saturday's game, Nuno Gomes was supposed to play center forward, but he got injured in the warm up. The bar I was watching the game on celebrated that injury as if we already got the victory :P (I know, we're evil...)

Portugal's problem have always been the center forward player. Right now, our only option is Hugo Almeida, from werder bremen. Many times we're forced to use Cristiano Ronaldo at that position
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
As I understand it, Portugal's problem was always one of ego, not of talent. With Figo leaving, you're going to have to build a younger team around Cristiano in my opinion. Even if he isn't one of my favorite players, he has considerable talent, at least in terms of MU (unless he shares the same talent as Gekas, so good in Germany, he ends up top scorer, but complete trash in Greece and as a national)

I dunno, I guess I miss the talent some of our retired players had that our team now lacks. I'm not saying our team isn't strong, even if it isn't the strongest, it can hold its own against most opponents, but it lacks the finesse of Tsiartas, the leadership of Zagorakis, and the incredible striking prowess of Nikolaidis.

There's no point in holding on the to the past though, I guess I have to look ahead, and hope King Otto makes some better judgements in the future, and doesn't only favor Greek players that play in Budesliga.
 

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I agree with you, refi. Portugal clearly needs more experience. I think Ricardo Carvalho, from Chelsea is very important in that matter. The team seems more safe and confident with him. A true model for the other young defenders. Still, Figo and Rui Costa are missed. We lack experienced players in those sections, although the talent is there, no doubt about it.

This Saturday, almost every team involved in the champions league played, and it was clear to me that a lot of players were spared for the CL. Both Real Madrid and Barça lost their games (2-1 with Espanhol and 3-1 with Vilarreal, respectively) and I'd risk to say that those spares cost them both points this gameweek. In England, both chelsea, arsenal and man utd won their games for safe results (the most expressive was Aston Villa 1- 4 Man Utd).

As a fan of Inter Milan, I'd like to congratulate Adriano for his return on the goal scoring! Its been a long time, if I'm correct :P One of the greatest center forwards IMO, and with confidence by his side, he can hope for a consistent choice in Mancini's 11. Roma draw 4-4 with Napoli. I'm sure it was a great match, but Roma's home draw catapults Inter to a 5 point provisory lead over the 2nd spot. Every other Serie A team plays Sunday.
 

Epul

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
1,858
Reaction score
17
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
I so happy right now. Man Utd beat Aston Villa 4-1. Finally, united are getting back to what they were last season. Good to see Rooney and Tevez partnership starting to gel.
Man City won too... they have really surprised me this season. Ironically, England is doing bad at the moment while their former manager Eriksson is having a good time at Man City :p
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
That Liverpool bullshit against Everton reminded me too much of games against Olympiacos.

Ah the wonder of the 12th player, gotta love refs.
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
Arsenal won against bolton :woo
 

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
According to the rumors Drogba seems to be leaving Chelsea, and he explicitly said he wanted to leave as soon as possible. Its highly possible that another great team's attack is going to get strengthened this January, when the transfer season reopens. I'd love to see Drogba in man utd, but that's just a dream... I bet Drogba will be transfered to Real Madrid or Milan (who knows, with Kaka involved in the deal). The only thing that could keep Drogba with Chelsea till the end of the season would be the fact that he'd be unable to play in champions league for another team this year
 

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I read a news that said that Drogba is interested in AC Milan, but i'd rather Milan spend their money one defensive players (i mean like 8 or 10 good and young defensive players). :D
And a new goalkeeper. :D
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
Sounds like they know what they're doing to be honest. Big teams like them can't just fortify the offense, they have to take care of their defense as well, so they won't lose random matches in their own championships.
 

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I actually think Milan's problem right now aint in defense, but in a strong offensive reference. With shevchenko gone and ronaldo injured, they only have Inzaghi, which isnt enough, and Gilardino, and I'm not impressed with this guy at all...

A player like drogba fits in Milan perfectly in my view. About Real Madrid, I dont think they ever cared about unbalancing the team with only renowned forwards. I wouldnt like to see drogba there, but that's where I believe he will be when the transfer season reopens.
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
7 - 0 :confetti

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! that showed all the critics who were saying arsenal will go downhill now that henry left :woo
 

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Yeah, even i have to admit that Arsenal was invincible on that game. Walcott, Fabregas, Hleb and Adebayor combined real good with their quick passing game. And that Walcott can sure run with his legs. :D
Oh, United won 2-4 against Kiev. Rooney and Tevez might not be pretty, but they're deadly. :D
 

Mendes

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,206
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
And we have to remember Arsenal has van Persie injured. Truly impressive this Arsenal team. Out of the english teams, only liverpool's in a mess, with a new loss, this time against besiktas for 2-1. Porto is in great place to take the lead in the next game, playing at home with Marseille. In the away game it was obvious Porto was the best team. We had almost twice the amount of shots and 2 of them hit the post...

Rosenborg also surprised, winning 2-0 with valencia. This group is getting tough!
Royal won 4-2 with Olympiakos in a hard fought match, and Bremen's win over Lazio increases the fight for the 2nd spot.

This week, both Figo and Rui Costa played their 100th game in the UEFA competitions, with Figo's games only in the champions league.
 

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Liverpool needs to win the rest of the qualifying matches in order to (probably) go to the next round.

In other news, Milan did awesome with a 4-1 win. All of their goals comes or started from corner kicks and Gilardino scored two! :dance
 

Epul

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
1,858
Reaction score
17
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Well, in my opinion, without Fernando Torress in the side, Liverpool doesn't look dangerous at all.... Kuyt just doesn't score enough....
Same can be said about Man utd though. I can't imagine what would happen if Rooney or Tevez get injured. So I hope they stay injury free and united must find another striker when the transfer window starts in January. United still has Saha but he gets injured too many times...
 

Seiken

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2006
Messages
91
Reaction score
0
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Norway
Being norwegian myself, it's nice seeing our teams winning out in Europe. And about bloody time too! :D
This was the first time Rosenborg has won at home in Champions League for 6 years.

It still amazes me, how can a team that most likely won't to qualify to the UEFA-cup (At 6th place at the moment, ) beat Valencia in CL? The wonders of football...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top