The HipHop Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The HipHop Thread

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Let's be clear about one thing, first and foremost, just to clarify. Hip Hop is the culture of which rap is a piece of. Rap is the actual act of spittin rhymes on a beat.

Having been born and raised in the home of Hip Hop (the Bronx, all be it the northwest bronx), I was constantly bombarded by rap. It wasnt until seventh grade (i am a freshman in college now) that i started listening. The first, and to be honest only, album i bought was sisqo's unleash the dragon... Luckily for me, my tastes have since improved. Let me list some of the artists on my top rated list on itunes:
2Pac (of course)
A Tribe Called Quest
Black Star (Mos Def and Talib Kweli make a good team. They need to get another album out!)
Dr. Dre (The Chronic being one of the best rap albums ever along side with Straight Outta Compton)
Nas (Hip Hop is Dead is pure fire, basically)
Notorious Big (nuff said)
NWA (only with Ice Cube. Their follow up to Straight outta compton, without Ice Cube was garbage, imo)
Mac Dre (straight out of the bay (San Fransisco and Oakland in cali. He is some good stuff if you like your rap with some out of the norm beats and not too serious lyrics. The bay sound is way different than anything in La or in the east, which is why i like it so much)
Snoop Dogg (he still can spit with the best of them)
Mos Def
Talib Kweli (gotta list these guys individually)
Too $hort (a real OG. He was in GTA: San Andreas, to give you guys some perspective, with the song 'The Ghetto')

Some stuff i dont like is Dip Set because they all are trash. Most stuff from the south especially Lil' Wayne. I like my music to be mostly about storytelling and lyrics with a strong beat which most of the above are about in some way or another, with their own twist. My favorite kind of club rap has to be hyphy music. (look on urbandictionary.com for the best definition)

Anyone else a fan of any kind of rap or hip hop?

manu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Hip Hop/Rap fans here?

I listen to it, I haven't bought any music but I download songs I like. All time favorite that I love would probably be Afroman's Colt 45. A nice link to the song here

http://profile.imeem.com/XXwZu/music/qAdTF7wE/colt_45/

Well I live in Seattle Washington, so no great rappers from here. Current faves though would have to be Lil' Jon and Akon. About your south comment Neo I think you shouldn't forget thats where Ludacris comes from.

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

to be honest, there are SOME good rappers out of the south, but not as much as from the east or the west. Most of the southern music is too club oriented with nothing to say for my tastes.

blasta

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

I haven't been listening to the new stuff from rap/hip hop for awhile now just think its going downhill but I still listen to new songs and albums by my favorites like Eminem, Nasty Nas etc. I only really listen to old stuff like most people you have on your list especially 2pac, Nasty Nas, Dre, and Biggie. I also really like Eminem, Jay-Z, Xzibit, Rakim, KRS-One, Naughty by Nature, Wu-Tang Clan, and some others I can't remember right now.

kyubisharingan

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica

lol, hell yea i love hip hop. but "kinda" a fan of rap. yes, im black, but rap just doesnt appeal to me. as in no real good meaning to its songs. i also love R&B. but thats getting off topic. but no matter wat other artist come out, none of them can beat 2pac or Biggie IMO

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

Fuck, how did i forget the Wu-tang clan. They are always good. 36 chambers is also one of the legendary albums. I liked eninem, until his last album because of how bad it was. Jay-z should have stayed retired because his newest album is pretty bad. However, ill give him his due, he made it pretty big from brooklyn.

The rap game has gotten worse and worse which is why the majority of my stuff is from the 90s. I still have so much to check out though, you named some of the artists i have been meaning to listen to in depth to like KRS-One and Rakim.

九尾写輪眼 said:
lol, hell yea i love hip hop. but "kinda" a fan of rap. yes, im black, but rap just doesnt appeal to me. as in no real good meaning to its songs. i also love R&B. but thats getting off topic. but no matter wat other artist come out, none of them can beat 2pac or Biggie IMO
You need to listen to some of the more substantial artists then. A Tribe called Quest, The Roots, Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli and a bunch of others because they say something in their lyrics. I hate rap that doesnt have something to say or that doesnt tell a good story, most of the time at least. Biggie and 2pac where at their best when they have something to (Big Poppa, Dear Mama, Juicy, Changes, etc. are some good examples)

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

The only words I have to say: Jim Jones "We Fly High"

Pure Love <3

XD That's about the only rap song I like, and it's only because the Ballin' part is so cool XD Though I do like "Shake" by the Ying Yang Twins. I don't always understand/like the words, but the beats are great :amuse

Though, on my ipod I do have 50 Cent, Chris Brow, Jim Jones, Jules Santana, Kanye West, Nelly, and Ying Yang Twins ^^

Rap's not really my thing though; I prefer rock/etc like Panic at the Disco, Ok Go, Motion City Soundtrack, Emery, Anberlin, Armor for Sleep, Amber Pacific, etc. Mostly the more "little known" bands >.>

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

LOL! you have no idea how obsessed my bro is with "we fly high". BALLIN'!!

Rap isnt for everyone though. I guess i wouldnt be as big a fan if it wasnt for the fact that i am surrounded by it and hip hop culture as well.

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

NeoShweaty said:
LOL! you have no idea how obsessed my bro is with "we fly high". BALLIN'!!

Rap isnt for everyone though. I guess i wouldnt be as big a fan if it wasnt for the fact that i am surrounded by it and hip hop culture as well.
XD Everyone in my school loves "We Fly High" Even in my calculus we have guys who randomly yell "BALLIN!" I love it ^^

I come from a really diverse area, so I;ve kind of been influenced by everything. I just like rap and hip hop because they have alot of great beats that really get me pumped up (especially when I'm at the gym) I love turning up my radio when I'm driving and listening to the high energy stuff.

iThePirate

Reaction score
Country
British Antarctic Territory

American:
Jedi Mind Tricks, Canibus, Apathy, Celph Titled, Army of the Pharaohs, Ill Bill, Immortal Technique, Styles of Beyond, Necro, Diabolic, Tonedeff, GZA/Genius, Fort Minor 'n The Circle of Tyrants.
Swedish:
Pst/Q, Organism12 aka Ågren, Gubb, Peshi, Chords, Obnoxiuz Afasi, Leo 'n Mobbade Barn Med Automatvapen.

Think that covers my favourites pretty well...

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

i have only heard of three of those artists in america and none abroad. Its great to see how diverse the community can be.

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

Ive heard a song from Jedi Mind Tricks, Cannibus and, of course, i have heard of the GZA (Wu-Tang!)

iThePirate

Reaction score
Country

well i think almost all of the above have myspaces (even though myspace sucks) with various songs on 'em.

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

[sfc said:
]
well i think almost all of the above have myspaces (even though myspace sucks) with various songs on 'em.
Ill check them out sometime. I am always open to new stuff.

iThePirate

Reaction score
Country

Check out obnoxiuz site which i linked earlier, Actual Pain is in english.

Magoobeekee

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France

I will just add some of my favorites rappers who haven't been quote : MF DOOM, Roots Manuva, Busdriver, Kool Keith, Dan the Automator,MaDliB,Jel,Sage francis,sole,The Others

And some french rappers: psykik Lyrica, le club des 7, la cinquieme kolonne

Cheers

Logikl

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Ahh man... my type of people here... some of my favorites are: Doom, Madlib, Little Brother, Juggaknots, Lil Sci (John Robinson Project), KRS One, J-Zone, Aesop Rock..

iThePirate

Reaction score
Country

Found a new favourite.

R.A. The Rugged Man, man he's seriously ill!

Anyone heard 'im?

kyubisharingan

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica

Corrupt said:
Found a new favourite.

R.A. The Rugged Man, man he's seriously ill!

Anyone heard 'im?
lol no. wat kinds of songs does he sing?