The Iwanin Thread

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
544
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
I've been cloistered in my room playing Final Fantasy XII - I'll be back tomorrow, when I'll be at work and unable to play.

See people, this is why I started studying Japanese in the first place: to play Momentous RPGs close to a year before everyone else does.

Though I have to admit I'm just a bit dissappointed with the game thus far... -_- ...
 

Saithan

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2005
Messages
84
Reaction score
17
Gender
Male
Country
Denmark
huh FFXII... would it be too much to ask for a short review of the game, the main characters too please :)
 

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
544
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Saithan said:
huh FFXII... would it be too much to ask for a short review of the game, the main characters too please :)
Not at all - just tell me which points you're most interested in, and I'll PM you.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Could you also PM me as well ( or just post a review here in spoiler tags? I'm sure there's plenty of interested people >.> )

It's mostly the gameplay I'm wondering about.
 

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
544
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Gold Knight said:
Could you also PM me as well ( or just post a review here in spoiler tags?  I'm sure there's plenty of interested people >.> )

It's mostly the gameplay I'm wondering about.
Alrighty, I'll do that tomorrow, 'cuz I've slacked off from work more than enough already. :-/
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
WHeeee, Iwanin review of FF XII tomorrow!!! We need a cake.
 

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
544
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
You know what they say... "you can't have your cake and eat it too." Of course, what I do is *hide* my brithday cake so I can eat it myself, but that's not the point. The point is... did I even have a point? Oh well, here's my preliminary review, conveniently broken up by spoiler tags.

I'm only covering the combat right now, but I'll get to the rest as the week goes on.

Yes, it's a very detailed review, but bear in mind that as a software documentor, I get paid to give detailed explanations.

Finally, note that there are no actual spoilers in the combat sections: I'm just using the spoiler tags for convenience.

Combat

Overview.

As I'm sure anyone reading this already knows, combat in Final Fantasy XII is different in that there's no transition between combat and exploration. You fight enemies on the field, as you see them, if you feel like it (unless, of course, they're after *you*). Killing enemies gets you experience and "LP" (more on that in the character stat section), but it won't earn you Gil (money). Enemies do, however, drop "treasures", which you sell for money.

So, for all intents and purposes, they drop money. Just to make things a bit more "realistic", though,  the treasures the enemies drop are things like "fangs", "fire stones", "hides", etc - i.e., things they have with them.

The combat engine itself is said to be similar to those of MMORPGs - but I wouldn't know, since I've avoided MMORPGs like the plague until now, mainly for fear of getting addicted. :p . Bascially, you enter commands for your characters and an "action gauge" starts to fill. Once the gauge is completely filled up(it's very quick) you'll execute the action provided you're within striking range of the enemy you targeted. Different weapons and different moves have different striking ranges, and enemies have their own striking range as well.

If the command you selected is "attack", no sooner you've executed the action than the gauge will begin to fill up again, on it's own, repeating the attack process until the target is vanquished. If you selected an action other than "attack", the gauge won't refill automatically - you have to select your next action manually.

Or, do you?

Gambits

The game gives you simultaneous control of three party members. Since battles occur in real time, it would be an absolute bitch to indicate every damned action to every single character. This is where the "gambit" system comes into place.

A gambit is an A.I. routine you program yourself through a user-friendly interface. A character's gambit is a set of instructions he or she will execute automatically. Each instrucion specifies a target and an action. For instance, a target could be "flying enemies" and an action "attack". This gambit would be well-suited to characters equiped with long range weapons, like guns and bows. You start off with a small set of values to choose from for "targets" and "actions", but you'll gain more as the game progresses.

To create a complete gambit, first you create your set of instructions and then you order them by priority. Characters will only execute a given instruction if it is impossible for them to execute instructions  with higher priority. For example, say this set of instructions is my gambit, with number 1 representing the highest priority:

1. Target: allies with less than 50% HP, Action: cast cure.   
2. Target: allies with less than 30% HP, Action: use hi-potion.
3. Target: enemies with less than 500 HP, Action: cast fire.
4. Target: enemy targeted by party leader, Action: attack.

The party member with this gambit will act thus: if there are allies with less than 50%HP, the character will cast cure on these allies. The character will fail to perform this action if he has no MP to cast magic with, or if all party members have more than 50%HP. In this case, if there's a character out there with 30% HP or less, he'll use hi-potion on it, unless there's no hi-potion to use. At this point, the character will target enemies with 500 HP or less and cast fire on them. If no enemy characters have less than 500 HP, the character will attack the same enemy the party leader's targeted.

Now, obviously, there are certain situations you just can't deal with by using gambits alone. For this very reason, the game let's you override any gambit command at any given point in time, and to even turn off gambits altogether if you need to give a certain character every last instruction.

Party members

You have three party members, one of whom is the leader. You can switch leaders on the fly. The leader you control yourself, but you can even put a gambit on the leader, so that all characters fight automatically.

You can also choose whether the game should pause or not when inputting commands, and how fast the battles will go.

Personally, I play on the highest speed setting but in "wait mode", which means battles freeze when you're giving commands. The battles move very quickly and if you're not using wait mode, there's no chance in hell you'll have time to assess the overall situation and input commands for all three characters.

Also, I never ever gambit my leader. Ever.

Now, actually, you have 6 party members, which you may (relatively) freely switch in and out of battle as you see fit. Even if all three party members engaged in battle die at the same time, the game lets you replace them with the characters you kept in reserve. Additionally, you may have one "guest" character, which acts as a party member only you don't have control over it.

Dungeon/level design

Overview.

Level design in Final Fantasy XII is radically different from that of past installments. In fact, thus far it's the one big sticking point in the game for me (but more on that later).

Just as in Final Fantasy X, there is no overworld map, of course. Towns, fields and dungeons are all connected.

Towns

The towns are probably the highlight of the game. Each is huge and *hugely* populated. I'm not talking about towns with ten or twenty people - I'm tallking like, fifty, a hundred - no, hundreds . You can talk to less than half of them, but that still leaves you with like a hundred in the case of "big" towns. Those characters you can talk to show a little icon on top, and you'll hear an audio cue when you pass by within "talking range".

The towns are are all very realistically portrayed, to the point where you can almost feel the wear on the concrete buildings.

Fields and dungeons

Upon leaving a town you'll enter a field. Fields and dungeons differ from towns in but two things:

1. In towns, you'll only see Vaan's character model. Maybe at some later point in the game you'll see another character take his place, but for the 25+ hours I've had the chance to play it, it's all Vaan. He's the main character, so you're stuck with him, :p . On the other hand, you'll see your three active party members and additional guest member when in fields or dungeons.

2. Enemies (duh). Now, obviously, to fight enemies you need your weapons, which are also displayed, and yes, every weapon and shield has a different 3-D model. Armor and accessories don't appear, though.

Fields are aurally breathtaking, to the point where you'll wonder if it's really your PS2 producing these visuals. They're also easy to navigate, and you have a nice little map in case you get lost. For the most part, enemies are relatively easy to avoid in fields; although, since there's really very little hassle in killing them and earning experience points, you might not want to unless you're in a pinch.

There are, however, very powerful enemies roaming the fields right from the start. The huge T-rex in the first field comes to mind. These enemies won't attack you unless *you* pick a fight with them, but you had better not. Still, even if you do and they start wiping out your party members with a single blow, you can usually run away successfully and escape to the nearest save point.

Now for my beef with these fields: they're simply *way* too big. I'm not talking Willy the whale big, I'm talking *Titanic* big. As in *long*. As in, you might spend a good hour traversing them, and more, in some cases. Of course, this is considering the time spent killing enemies, but even so...

This would not be bad if crossing them were particularly entertaining, but, eventually, I found myself getting bored, and the reason is simple: no worthwhile treasure chests. Honestly, in 20 plus hours I've found like FIVE treasure chests of any actual relevance. The rest are all "potions", "phoenix downs" and pocket change. You'll eventually find gambits in there, too, but none you can't actually buy for 50 Gil a piece in the local gambit shop.

Also, all treasure chests are neatly tucked away in corners. All you have to do to is visit the corners on the field map you're on and voila! you have... 3 more potions with you. Joy.  :notrust

Dungeons are much more entertaining, as they feature simple puzzles and bosses, but there's still a noticeable lack of treasure chests.

It all comes down to this: unlike it's predecessors, Final Fantasy XII is, in essence, a dungeon crawl. It's Vagrant Story 2, pure and simple. The only problem is that Vagrant Story always had interesting treasure to find, and you could forge your own weapons with these items, while in Final Fantasy XII you... can't.

There is another facet to dungeon crawlers, besides treasure hunting: stat building, i.e., leveling up your characters. Therein lies another problem I have with FFXII, which I discuss in the next section (when I put it up).

More to come to come, including:

Character stat and ability development.

Story  and characters.
(spoiler free and spoiler filled versions).

And music, of course.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Doesn't sound so bad so far :)
 

Tamerlane

=D
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
1,880
Reaction score
52
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Thanks! That was really helpful. I wish that I had read that before I actually tried the demo, it would have made a lot more sense to me since the demo did not come with a tutorial. :s

Ahhhh...I can not wait for this game to come out....the last FF that I played was FFX2 and I am not sure how much I really liked that one. :amuse
 

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
544
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Tamerlane said:
Thanks! That was really helpful. I wish that I had read that before I actually tried the demo, it would have made a lot more sense to me since the demo did not come with a tutorial.  :s

Ahhhh...I can not wait for this game to come out....the last FF that I played was FFX2 and I am not sure how much I really liked that one.   :amuse
Yeah - the demo sucked [insert expletive here]. I guess for those who've played it, it would help to assure them that the level design and the enemy respawn rate present in the demo are *not* representative of what you'll find in the final game.

Basically, once you kill all the enemies in a given area it'll be a good while before they respawn, and in open areas they tend to do so gradually. Of course, they'll always respawn once you cross "load points" (i.e., when you change "map area").
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
You're really good at reviewing games, Iwanin :)
 

Saithan

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2005
Messages
84
Reaction score
17
Gender
Male
Country
Denmark
un... I'm looking forward to the storyline and characters. That's my heaven :)

btw, do you have the option of running the game in FFX mode ? where you take turns and such in combat ?
 

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
544
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Gold Knight said:
You're really good at reviewing games, Iwanin :)
And you're really good at paying compliments, GK :amuse . Actually, since the reason I started studying Japanese in the first place is to someday make videogames, I had better be.

Saithan said:
un... I'm looking forward to the storyline and characters. That's my heaven :)
All in due time, Saithan. All in due time...

Saithan said:
btw, do you have the option of running the game in FFX mode ? where you take turns and such in combat ?
No.
 

Tamerlane

=D
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
1,880
Reaction score
52
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Iwanin said:
Yeah - the demo sucked [insert expletive here]. I guess for those who've played it, it would help to assure them that the level design and the enemy respawn rate present in the demo are *not* representative of what you'll find in the final game.
I am so relieved to hear you say that! o_o

After playing the demo I was really discouraged about the game, and I love the FF series. I was going to pick it up anyways but like I said if you think that the demo is not a good representation I am getting anxious to see it now.

Too bad I am going to have to wait all year though..... *sniff sniff*
 

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
544
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Tamerlane said:
I am so relieved to hear you say that! o_o

After playing the demo I was really discouraged about the game, and I love the FF series. I was going to pick it up anyways but like I said if you think that the demo is not a good representation I am getting anxious to see it now.

Too bad I am going to have to wait all year though..... *sniff sniff*
Just to let everyone (er, Tamerlane and GK) know, I'll continue and eventually finish my super-duper-detailed review - I'm just trying desperately to FINISH the damned game first. I kidd you not when I say at 42 hours I don't believe I'm even at the halfway point yet... -_-
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I pimped your review in the What Are You Playing thread in General Discussion, but everybody's just a bunch of leechs I guess =/
 

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
544
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Gold Knight said:
I pimped your review in the What Are You Playing thread in General Discussion, but everybody's just a bunch of leechs I guess =/
Small update: 50 hours into the game with no end in sight. However, I can honestly say this is, to me, the worst Final Fantasy yet. It's not the combat system or anything.  It's just that the game's incredibly slow paced, there's not enough money and you can't really plan how your characters develop.

It's basically all just one big dungeon with monsters to kill but no gil to be earned, no items to be found and zero puzzles. If it weren't for the incredible audio and visuals, and the fact that it's-Final-Fantasy-so-I-*have*-to-finish-it, I would have dropped it already.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
That's too bad to hear - seems like Taylor loves it though. Which Final Fantasy game would you consider the best one?
 

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
450
Reaction score
544
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Gold Knight said:
That's too bad to hear - seems like Taylor loves it though.  Which Final Fantasy game would you consider the best one?
Yes, I'm spoken to Taylor about it. Seems he is easily amused level grinding. Last I heard he'd done 30 hours, but had barely advanced the plot to what would be the 5 - 10 hour mark for anyone not obsesively level grinding. At this rate, I estimate it'll take him 300 hours to finish. I wish him luck. :D

My personal Final Fantasy list goes something like this:

1. FFX
2. FFVI
3. FFIV
4. FFV
5. FFVIII
6. FFIX
7. FFI
8. FFIII
9. FFII
10. FFXII
11. FFVII

You may flame at will, Titta Tifa lovers, :p

I should clarify that I've played II for no more than five minutes, so consider it a wildcard rather than "9." Also note that I'm not including FFXI because not only have I not played it, but it's not technically Final Fantasy # as much as Final Fantasy Online I.

Finally, FFVII is at the bottom of my list only because I utterly despise its very existence more than I despise the existence of those lousy Antonio Banderas movies - otherwise, it would probably place below FFIII, 'cuz at least it's not as boring as XII.
 

Saithan

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2005
Messages
84
Reaction score
17
Gender
Male
Country
Denmark
something is wrong here, FFVII is way better than FFVIII okay graphic-wise maybe not, but the story in it is the best and I doubt you can find any other FF game with a story to match it.
 
Top