Discussion The Japanese Study Thread

Sharaku

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 30, 2009
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Hiragana Dictionary

Thank you for your help, I've been getting fed up with using Babel Fish and other sites that give inacurate translations. But the yahoo.jp site is in Japanese, does it automatically translate the word you typed in to english or Japanese.
 

JC123

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2006
Messages
731
Reaction score
110
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Where to learn Japanese

Actually, there's also LiveMocha.com, which I've liked for immersion. With Rosetta Stone being 400+$ it may not be convenient to all.
 

neo_manga_123

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Learn how to read Manga: The Japanese Study Thread

can someone help me to translate kanokon form jap to eng plz. my skills consist of translating the hiragana to romanji then using a dictionary to translate

but this seems to only work for terms like borther sister and names ect

m willing too help clean in return

plz plz plz help me

:(
 
Last edited:

sabret00the

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Messages
1,736
Reaction score
216
Age
46
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Learn how to read Manga: The Japanese Study Thread

Does anyone know of a program that converts romanji to hiragana? Something like http://kanjidict.stc.cx/hiragana.php

Also does anyone know of any dictionary's that come as programs for your computer as well?
 

4ghost

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
592
Reaction score
288
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Learn how to read Manga: The Japanese Study Thread

I haven't been using it as much lately but, Jim Breen' site has a lot of useful tools for understanding and learning Japanese, including romanji lookup. One of my favorite things about the site was being able to lookup Kanji by their radicals.

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C
 

Subito

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 10, 2009
Messages
16
Reaction score
10
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Learn how to read Manga: The Japanese Study Thread

Does anyone know of a program that converts romanji to hiragana? Something like http://kanjidict.stc.cx/hiragana.php

...You mean like IME?
http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50447


Also does anyone know of any dictionary's that come as programs for your computer as well?
I don't know of any dictionary "programs"... Microsoft IME sometimes gives very brief definitions, but it's mostly for understanding when to use kanji with the same pronunciation and similar meaning.

But there are plenty of free online resources.
Japanese-Japanese
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/
http://www.sanseido.net/
(family names) http://www2s.biglobe.ne.jp/~suzakihp/index40.html
(given names) http://kanji.reader.bz/
(kanji stroke order) http://kakijun.main.jp/

Japanese-English
http://jisho.org/
(Firefox plugin) http://www.polarcloud.com/rikaichan/
http://www.nihongodict.com/

If all else fails,
http://www.google.com/intl/ja/
http://www.google.com
 

Guenhwyvar

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
2
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Learn how to read Manga: The Japanese Study Thread

Hi, I'm new here. I have been studying Japanese for a short while. It is such a fun language to learn. My teacher gave us a whole bunch of web links to help and i will pass them on to you all. Hope you enjoy.

Writing Tutor
http://japanese.sterzingers.com/

Japanese Stories - available in both English and Japanese
http://www.geocities.co.jp/HeartLand-Gaien/7211/

And the best link is this one, when you enter the URL of a page with kanji on it, the kanji will get the hiragana added on top. I still don't know kanji so it is a life saver.
http://www.hiragana.jp/en/
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Learn how to read Manga: The Japanese Study Thread

I've gotten Rosetta Stone to learn japanese, so hopefully I'll start that this weekend and go from there
 

Setten1030

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 19, 2010
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Age
44
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Help with learning japanese

I'm still learning, but I've been studying for 2 years, but I tell people I've only been studying for 12 months since that's when I moved to Japan. I've completed 6 courses and heres what I've picked up to help.

Whiterabbit Hiragana/Katakana cards, these are awesome. If you're serious about learning Japanese I'd plow through memorizing these right away. Depending on your time it is not unrealistic to grind through Hiragana in two weeks, and Katakana in two weeks. As practice, just translate a bunch of katakana/hiragana to romaji and vice versa. Pick up on the nuances of ~ou (~oo), は(ha/wa), を(w(o)), etc.
They also make kanji vocab flashcards for the JLPT.

Want to build up your vocabulary and kanji? ANKI is an amazing flashcard tool, you can easily import flashcards from text files. Also, a lot of people will learn incorrect stroke order, learnign the correct stroke order from the beginning greatly helps in the longrun when you're learning similar structures. Also, I dont' focus too much on onyumi vs konyumi. Not sure what others think, to me it makes it stick alot more seeing it in context. A lot of times if I see kanji in a sentence i'll be able to guess, 大切 (tai-setsu, important), 大きい (oo-kii, big), 大学 (dai-gaku, university). Even though 大 can be read as tai, dai, oo your mind figures it out based off of the kanji around it. Also a lot of times you'll just simply add a dakuten if it's the 2nd character, ふくろ becomes ぶくろ if you add 紙 in front of it, or 手. There are a lot of these little nuances you'll just pick up on your own, just as you did your mother tongue.

Personally I base my self study off of the JLPT to supplment what I learn in the classroom. I use classroom study to drill in grammar, but it only goes so far. The JLPT has 5 levels currently, and is offered every 6 months. If you choose this route you can set goals for youself, such as learning 20 kanji a week + 50 vocab, etc. It just tests grammar, reading, writing, listening. But not speaking, so from a translator view, this is good to get started.

Want to build up vocabulary? As you go throughout yoru day, think of words youd like to say in japanese, write these down in a little notebook, at the end of the day look them up in a dictionary.
ゆめ dream, 死ぬ die, かっこい cool, etc. you get the point. When I got to Japan I started a journal at night. I would write what happened that day, but write in as much Japanese as I could, and what I didn't know I would look up. Of course there was and still is are a lot of errors but I'd have local Japanese people read it and correct it.

KUMON, cram schools that japanese kids goto, they let international students go to. There are schools all over the world and they offer correspondence classes. I really like their kanji and reading books, coz they base it off of levels. Even though the books I'm on are 3rd, 4th grade reading levels, I don't feel bad reading them coz they'll have stuff in them about nature, etc. So I am learning stuff and I'm 28. You have to start somewhere.

Textbooks, I have used all 3 levels of Japanese for Busy People including the workbooks. These are good for people who don't have much time, I'd suggest supplementing though.

Japanesepod101.com is great, signup for a month, download their whole archive, and then cancel. Thats what I did. I burned a few books fo cds to listen to in the car.

Want to improve your reading speed? Karaoke will force you to read faster.

The japanese/kanji in mangland series isnt bad, ive got all of those books, not great workbooks by themselves but nice supplements to real texts. They have interesting notes on colloquial japanese that you won't find in a textbook which is geared towards teaching you business japanese.

A lot of people above mentioned all sorts of online references that I had not even thought about trying to delve into. I've burnt myself out lately on grinding japanese, that I'm trying to get into translating manga for fun which is how I found this site. I'm hoping the ropes from the translators here, and once school in complete here try and get a job as a translator either in Japan or somewhere in America like California.

I've made a lot of progress in a year, even though I still feel like I have such a long way to go. I think a large myth is that you can't learn a new language coz you're past the "language window" of when you were 4. This is bullshit, I live around a lot of foreigners who speak very very fluent Japanese and its just from "passion". I think it's more passion, than god given talent, age, etc. With passion comes a lot of time to devote, I mean hours a week. It'll drive you nuts, but its well worth it. Japanese is a beautiful exotic language.
 
Last edited:

himitsu87

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2008
Messages
84
Reaction score
14
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Kuwait
Re: Help with learning japanese

I'd say watch dramas, anime and try reading some raw mangas if you knew how to read kanji, hiragana and katakana. It sure will help with your understanding. You'll find some difficulties in the beginning but you'll get more comfortable with it later :)

The websites posted in here are really helpful since I've nearly visited them all.
 

Soggy

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Help with learning japanese

how long does it usually take to learn japanese?
 

Subito

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 10, 2009
Messages
16
Reaction score
10
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Help with learning japanese

It really depends on how much time you put into it every day. You also have to keep in mind that not everyone learns at the same pace or in the same way.... Then there's also the issue of what it means to "learn" a language.
Your question used to drive me crazy too, but eventually I learned to let go of that need to know exactly when and where I'd finally "learn" Japanese -- I'll get there when I get there.

In other words, i dunno lol.
 

Soggy

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Help with learning japanese

It really depends on how much time you put into it every day. You also have to keep in mind that not everyone learns at the same pace or in the same way.... Then there's also the issue of what it means to "learn" a language.
Your question used to drive me crazy too, but eventually I learned to let go of that need to know exactly when and where I'd finally "learn" Japanese -- I'll get there when I get there.

In other words, i dunno lol.
lol when i get there i'll know basically. I wouldn't mind but when i start thinking about how long it'll take i start to get put off learning it. On top of that i've been checking out all of the sites people have posted and i'm still looking at them with a giant question mark above my head haha.
 

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Help with learning japanese

It should take from 6 months to 1 year to learn enough to translate normal difficulty manga (it won't be easy though). That's about 1000 kanji, ~4000 most common words, and the entire Tae Kim's grammar site.

Just my opinion.
 

Ju-da-su

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
1,279
Reaction score
989
Age
36
Gender
Hidden
Country
Thailand
Re: Help with learning japanese

Seriously, ask yourself that question, not others. There's no such thing as identical intelligence level in this world, not to mention stuff like talents, efforts, amount of practice, style of learning, motivation, etc. No one can tell you how long it takes to actually 'learn' the language except for yourself. Yeah, some people might take only a year to learn the basics enough to be able to translate mangas with certain level of difficulty, but if you put in too little effort into it or have absolutely no interest in learning it whatsoever (as in keep on procrastinating on it), beats me. You might never be able to learn the language for the rest of your life.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Re: Help with learning japanese

I want to become a translator but my basic understanding of japanese is kindergarten level at best. Is there any suggestions to help me learn the language to profiency?
I'm learning from the Minna no Nihongo series...it can be found on torrent sites, but it's difficult to find the right one...but teacher's guides, or the original manual are available...
I don't know how many manuals there are, but I'm currently studying from Minna no Nihongo 2, which is necessary for JLPT level 4(the new level system)
I'll try to find the exact link I downloaded from, but it'll take a while...until then U can try...
It's a very easy manual to learn from, students learning Japanese at universities are using it, too...at least here
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Re: Learn how to read Manga: The Japanese Study Thread

Can someone recommend a good dictionary? Or something similar I can read while on the move in order to facilitate my recognition and understanding of characters?
Try this site...I always use it when try to translate something
http://www.saiga-jp.com/kanji_dictionary.html
What's the best, that it has a great database, what sucks is that only individual kanjis can be translated, not words composed of more than 1 kanji
 

Soggy

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Help with learning japanese

Seriously, ask yourself that question, not others. There's no such thing as identical intelligence level in this world, not to mention stuff like talents, efforts, amount of practice, style of learning, motivation, etc. No one can tell you how long it takes to actually 'learn' the language except for yourself. Yeah, some people might take only a year to learn the basics enough to be able to translate mangas with certain level of difficulty, but if you put in too little effort into it or have absolutely no interest in learning it whatsoever (as in keep on procrastinating on it), beats me. You might never be able to learn the language for the rest of your life.
fair enough :)
 
Top