Discussion The Japanese Study Thread

Captain Obvious

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
28
Reaction score
1
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Help with learning japanese

I'm sorry I have a question about something I'm having trouble understanding, I think my brain is just dead because I feel like I should get this but I just don't.

I'm going to give an example. mo includes the vowel o. But when it's written in Hiragana it's written as mo-u <When prolonged.

How do you know when it's a prolonged o or a u?

Please help!

(I probably didn't make any sense... I'm very sorry.)


Nevermind I think I understand.
 
Last edited:

richvh

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
198
Reaction score
163
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Help with learning japanese

Well, there's the particle も and the adverb もう - two different words, I presume you're talking about the latter. -ou is pretty much always pronounced as a prolonged o, unless you're crossing word boundaries, or the -u is a verb ending.
 

Kastro187420

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 26, 2007
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Help with learning japanese

I'm still learning Japanese myself, but heres a few things that i suggested to some other people on another site that have really helped me get along:

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/index.html#contents - This website has alot of information on the Grammar of the Japanese Language, and a Kana table. This site is useful for trying to learn to put sentences in the correct context to make sense, something I recommend anyone trying to learn reads through.

http://genki.japantimes.co.jp/self/self.en.html - This website has alot of useful things on it. One of the ones I've found and have been using, is a "Flash Card" type thing for Kana. It will display a Kana, and 3 possible meanings, and you have to choose the correct one of the 3. It also has various Kanji exercises, and Grammar and Vocabulary Exercises, another site I recommend for sharpening your skills.

http://www.japanese-kanji.com/ - This website is a Kanji Flashcard Program written in Java. It tests your knowledge on 60 Kanji at a time, and you can choose the order of the Kanji. It has a few different ways of learning the Kanji, from displaying 1 Kanji and giving 5 possible readings, with you choosing the right one, or displaying 1 Reading, and choosing the correct Kanji that corresponds to it. It also has On-yumi and Kon-yumi tests, so you can learn to recognize Kanji by their Kana readings. Again, a great site to sharpen your skills on.

And then, the last thing I recommend, is a program called "Wakan", which has MANY useful features, including a Kanji look-up too, with 6 different ways to look up Kanji, a Dictionary, and a Translation tool so that you can Paste Kanji and do an Auto-Translation. A great tool for beginners to use for Translations when you learn to use it effectively. Can be downloaded from here: http://wakan.manga.cz/
 

Kastro187420

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 26, 2007
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Help with learning japanese

I found a really good dictionary actually at my Library, called "NTC's New Japanese - English Character Dictionary". I definitely recommend people getting it. Its got a few side lessons inside it for learning Stroke Count, Look-up Methods, and other things. Its a rather thick book, not a pocket book, but it still definitely helps out, especially if you wanna just sit down and read.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Teach me Japanese, please..

I also wanna learn japanese so if there's anybody here who can help or suggest anything..please drop me a PM...thanks
 

godofthesunn

Ghosted
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
1,374
Reaction score
60
Gender
Male
Country
Finland
Re: Teach me Japanese, please..

i suggest picking up a copy of the program Rosetta Stone Japanese I and II this will probably be the fastest and easiest way for you to learn the language yourself.
I tried rosetta stone out and now i'm getting pretty good at japanese.. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn another language
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Teach me Japanese, please..

I tried rosetta stone out and now i'm getting pretty good at japanese.. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn another language
do you where i can get it from?
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Teach me Japanese, please..

There's also a free website called LiveMocha.com that's pretty good at teaching you languages, and I know Japanese is offered.
 

JunkStory

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Messages
10
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Japanese language question

How do you say "Naomi's friend's teacher" in Japanese? Using English words to transcribe, of course.

Also, if you happen to know linguistic, how would you draw the word tree for this phrase?
 

Emily00

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
85
Reaction score
19
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Japanese language question

naomi no tomodachi no sensei
ナオミの友達の先生。
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Learn howto read Manga: The Japanese Study Thread

Merged threads from the Study Corner into this thread.
 

Red Hood

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2008
Messages
179
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
Re: Learn how to read Manga: The Japanese Study Thread

Im a new student:), anyone care to tell me where do i start?.
 

richvh

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
198
Reaction score
163
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Learn how to read Manga: The Japanese Study Thread

A good start is getting a textbook.
 

Red Hood

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2008
Messages
179
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
Re: Learn how to read Manga: The Japanese Study Thread

A good start is getting a textbook.
Any special one that u can recomend me? :amuse
 

richvh

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
198
Reaction score
163
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Learn how to read Manga: The Japanese Study Thread

Not personally; the texts I have a couple of decades old, and not readily available. Look here for a good overview of different textbooks.
 

Lingwe

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
106
Reaction score
106
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Katsudon and Katsu-udon

I realise this isn't really a translation issue but since this is the place where people will understand what I am talking about I figured I should put it here. I hope that is okay.

Today my friends had a good laugh at me for the way I misinterpreted something one of them said. We were walking to the restaurant and one of my friends said that they had eaten Katsudon (as in かつ丼) yesterday and wondered what she should order today. I who wasn't listening carefully thought she said katsu-udon and asked her if the katsu-udon was tasty.

Needless to say they all found it very funny and teased us about being a manzai pair for several minutes afterward. I wonder if anyone else has unintentionally said something funny due to the way japanese syllables can run together?
 

Mikc

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 2, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
Australia
Re: Learn how to read Manga: The Japanese Study Thread

hey all :D im also new and WOWEE im studying jap as well :D haha not exactly fluent yet but im struggling through children's picture books and am slooooowly getting there. can't wait till i cant start translating :darn
 

tora-chan

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
261
Reaction score
624
Age
40
Gender
Female
Country
Italy
Re: Katsudon and Katsu-udon

Something similar happened to me in March... XD

I was working (for free) as a support interpreter during a Japan-related event. It was dinner time, a Japanese language professor and me were sitting at a table with a Japanese writer and her husband. She's interested in urban phenomena and trends, so we were talking about that kind of stuff. At one point we talked about "maid cafes" and "butler cafes", but my tongue slipped and I said "hitsuji (羊) cafe" instead of "shitsuji (執事) cafe". Since 執事 = butler and 羊 = sheep, they found it pretty hilarious XD
 
Top