The Japflap Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Japflap Thread

Eagle

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Hello everybody ! :pleased

Please don't be shy, come in ! Take off your shoes and have a cup of green tea !
Thanks to Gold Knight, you have just entered in the Japflap room...

Let's introduce us :

For those who don't know us, Japflap is a Naruto Edited Manga Group that try to bring HQ releases every week.
I'm Eagle, the Akatsuki Boss of the Team, and I'll probably be the only one of us to come here...for now.
Why ? Hehe... because most of us are French, and you know how French people like to speak English ¿^_^
So I'll speak for everyone here, feel free to ask whatever you want !

Before jumping on your keyboard to ask us questions (if there are any...), I give you some informations now :amuse

About Japflap :
Edited Manga Projects : Naruto HQ (HQ for High Quality, that's what everyone say)
Language : French & English
Homepage : http://www.japflap.com French & English site, you can choose !
Active since : Chapter 261 in French // Chapter 281 in English
Active Members :
- Translator Japanese -> French : Eagle
- Translator Japanese -> English : Eagle We use Nihongaeri's one and change some things...
- Text Adaptation : Le Glouton
- Cleaners : Eagle, Hibou, Fremen, Obito, Lill0, Uropsyko (more are in the training room...)
- Typesetter : Eagle
- Final Check : Jollyjuly

About me, Eagle : (Who care !)
Legal Status : French Citizen
Other aliases : Not revealed (I prefer not to tell ^^)
Identity : Secret
Place of Birth : Somewhere in France
Marital Status : Single
Group Affiliation : Japflap
Spoken Language : French, English, Japanese
Base of Operation : Lyon, France
First Appearance : August 2003 for all Naruto Fans
Height : 193cm
Weight : Unknown
Eyes : 2
Hair : Some left
Known Superhuman Powers : Able to teleport to Japan at anytime (Stop dreaming...)

That's it ! Feel free to ask anything you want to know about us or me !

Let's have some fun !!

Miso

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: The Japflap Thread ~ By Eagle

Ah nice!
I really enjoy your Edited Mangas - you are definitely one of the best groups out there!
So here come my first questions:

Who of you came up with the idea of forming a Edited Manga group?
Was it difficult to find members?

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Why are you so mysterious, Eagle? Is it your ability? ;D

Why did you choose 'Eagle' as your name?

How did you get into Naruto?

Eagle

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
France

Ahh~~ so there are some curious people around !! YES !!
Ok, let's go for some answers.
Oh by the way, I may have a weird English too, remember : I'm french ^^

Miso said:
Who of you came up with the idea of forming a Edited Manga group?
It may look strange, but the idea isn't from me. Japflap was at first, only a French Naruto website with a small community. One day, on my forums, I started to put some of my french translations of RAW chapters. Some people liked the idea, and ask me to make a Edited Manga. I refuse, because I thought i would not have the time for that. But the rebellion had already started, and they did some cleans, to show me how motivated they were... I finalydecided to be the manager, and only did typeset in French on their cleans. I must admit it... their clean wasn't good enough, and I started to clean myself (that's 1 year ago). After a few releases, our cleans were still not as good as I wanted, and people started to leave the Team for no reasons... At that time, only Le Glouton, Jollyjuly, (recently joined) Hibou and I were still active... 2 cleaners to release (Sometimes 3 as Uropsyko was the only one not to leave, but said he has less time to clean) ! But Hibou and I worked very hard to do HQ clean (I don't like doing fast trads), and we kept doing our best. Recently, I realize that some very famous English teams (Shannaro and Inane) were late in their releases. Back then, I started to translate/scanlate in English too, so that all Naruto fans could wait until Shannaro's and Inane's releases.

Miso said:
Was it difficult to find members?
Yes, after everyone left the group I have to find more members. We were not very famous...so I've asked a friend of mine (Fremen, who work in the same office), and convinced him to help us clean, after teaching him how to use Photoshop. Some guys asked me to join Japflap, but as I'm very strict and wanted to do HQ releases, they didn't pass the test. Right now, I've started to look for new members again. For people to join us, I had to make our releases better and better... and then some very skilled cleaners showed up (Obito, Lill0). I'm still teaching some guys how to clean on my forum ^^

Gold Knight said:
Why are you so mysterious, Eagle? Is it your ability? ;D
BOHAHAHAHA ^_^ In fact, mystery makes people imagin all kind off stuff about me, and I don't like to show myself. Let's call it an ability, ok

Gold Knight said:
Why did you choose 'Eagle' as your name?
15 years ago, when I was playing with my Amiga computer... With some friends, we decided to draw DBZ pics (320*240, 256 colors with deluxe Paint !!) and make a slide show. We created a team, and decided to choose Nicknames taken from birds name. I choose Eagle, as I really love those birds.

Gold Knight said:
How did you get into Naruto?
June 2003, I went to Paris to see my best friend, Le Glouton, our actual Text Coherence Checker. We are both comics/mangas lovers, for my birthday he offered me the first volume of Naruto...and I started to love it ^^ 2 months later, I wanted to create a website with as much as informations as possible. So here I am ! ^^

Zenith

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

How do you have so much time on your hands each week?

Do you have a real job?

What motivates you to become better than Shannaro clean manga weekly? :tem

Do you have plans to take on RAVE & Black Cat other manga titles in the future?

Eagle

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
France

Zenith said:
How do you have so much time on your hands each week?
Do you have a real job?
Those 2 questions lead to the same answer. It's because of my job that I have so much time each week. Another reason : I'm a full multitask machine person ! :blink As long as I have this very cool job, I'll have time for cleaning. But I have to train more new cleaners in the case I have to quit my Job ^^ else I'll join Shannaro
Yes, but what's this job ? Computer Network Administrator in a Bank. Yes, while phoning to someone, I do yetisports clean. After doing my job, I clean. While programing VBA and Excel... I clean... The most important thing is : Time Managing ^^

Zenith said:
What motivates you to become better than Shannaro clean manga weekly? :tem
My first motivation is to do what I like, and guess what ? I like cleaning/translating/typesetting :amuse
My second motivation is to share my work with everybody for my/your pleasure. I think that anyone who can do something useful for others should share it... if he takes pleasure to do it. I just don't want to be forced in what I'm doing right now.
I don't proclaim myself or Japflap being better than Shannaro (or anyone else). I respect the work of each team and let leechers fans appreciate or not our work. Still, I admit that I always wanted to do HQ release as good as Shannaro I'm happy and proud that we have reached the HQ releases community so fast... :blink

Zenith said:
Do you have plans to take on RAVE & Black Cat other manga titles in the future?
Not for now...I've got free time in my Job... but not that much. I've decided to do only one Edited Manga project, but try to do it well. And Naruto is easier to clean than Bleach or One Piece :darn
But... a not so long time ago, I've heard about an alliance/merging project. That kind of project would certainly lead me to think about other manga titles to scanlate in the future... so wait and see ! ;)

Hamsun

Intl Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score

MARRY ME, NOW! *srry u.u it was.. just.. well.. i download only your Edited Manga from chap 281, and i feel in love with your stuff, not really for you, but still, Marry me.*

Well, i must edit cause like this the post seems to be Stupid..(btw, it is XD)

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

Ok,my turn.

First, thanks for all the HQ Edited Mangas so far. :glomp

Questions

Why the name Japflap? Any specific meaning behind it?

Usually, to clean one page, what is the average time needed for it?

Besides from English and French, do you know other languages? If yes, what are them?

Eagle

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
France

eileenting88 said:
First, thanks for all the HQ Edited Mangas so far. :glomp
:amuse The pleasure is mine

eileenting88 said:
Why the name Japflap? Any specific meaning behind it?
I was waiting for this one ^_^ I've been thinking of that name 5 years ago already, when i was making a Jpop community site (on Ayumi Hamasaki/Elt/Dir en grey/Glay/L'arc en ciel/Utada Hikaru). When I stopped this site and started with Naruto, I kept the name. Japflap... what's that ? ^__^
Jap is for Japan (I love Japan so much)
Flap is the onomatopoeia of an Eagle (in french comics) and also a tiny nickname some friends gave to me (What the... I've told it ?).
So Jap+Flap, and Japflap was born. Also, that name is quite unique, and easy for Google ^^

eileenting88 said:
Usually, to clean one page, what is the average time needed for it?
It usually take me 45min to 1h30 to clean a simple page. If the page is very dirty (depend on the raw) it can take more time. My longuest record is actually 5 hours... on a very hard page...
For other Japflap members, I think the time to clean a page is between 2hours and 4hours... I should ask them once ^^

eileenting88 said:
Besides from English and French, do you know other languages? If yes, what are them?
I've already told in my introduction ^^
Spoken Language : French, English, Japanese (more reading/understanding than speaking/writing :darn)
I've also been studying German.

Hamsun said:
MARRY ME, NOW!
Hu hu ^^

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

Ahah, so that's how Japflap comes to life. :D So how difficult is studying German? How many months do you need before you can master Japanese? What is the hardest and easiest thing in learning Japanese?

Random question,

Do you like eggs?

I heard of foie gras a lot but I have never seen one or taste one. Can you tell me exactly what it is and how does it taste like?

Eagle

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
France

eileenting88 said:
Ahah, so that's how Japflap comes to life. :D So how difficult is studying German?
At school, I always hated to learn German...all this grammar and irregualr verbs... but now, I find German quite easy, even if I stopped learning it a long time ago.
Come to think of it, German has many similar points with Japanese ^^

eileenting88 said:
How many months do you need before you can master Japanese? What is the hardest and easiest thing in learning Japanese?
By living in France, I think i'll never master Japanese. You need to speak to japanese people everyday to master it. All I do is reading manga and karaoke on famous song...ah ! Naruto translations too ^^
The easiest part of Japanese : Kanas. (Hiragana & Katakana)? I mastered them in one week.
The hardest part of Japanese : Kanjis. It's the only thing you can do by yourself... reading...writing...spelling...reading...writing...spelling...again and again...

eileenting88 said:
Do you like eggs?
Yes I do. I like them in all cooking ways !

eileenting88 said:
I heard of foie gras a lot but I have never seen one or taste one. Can you tell me exactly what it is and how does it taste like?
Foie Gras is made from duck's liver. It's a kind of pâté, but with a better taste. For exemple, comparing Foie Gras and pâté is the same as comparing red wine and grapes juice. Foie Gras taste far better, and is far more expensive. You usually eat it for christmas or for great events. You usually serve it in a round slice (~5cm diameter) and must eat it slowly, with a little piece of good bread, and sweet white wine that gives a better taste. You should definetely try it !

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Do you have any advice as far as time management? I feel like I've needed some lately. ^^

Also, I enjoyed reading your answers! How do you guys usually go around deciding who does what pages? Is there some sort of coin toss to decide it? ;D

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Random question:

Do you like strawberry lolippops!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? <3

And I seriously love the name JapFlap. ^^

Eagle

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
France

Gold Knight said:
Do you have any advice as far as time management?  I feel like I've needed some lately.  ^^
Well, the first thing I do before anything is...my job ^__^ Or else my boss will kill me ! Then, I take the time do things in priority order, and gives others stuffs to do to people who can help me. As I don't know how you manage your time right now, I can't really give you more advices :darn

Gold Knight said:
Also, I enjoyed reading your answers!
Thanks !! Does it mean that my English is not "THAT" Jutsu bad ?! ^^

Gold Knight said:
How do you guys usually go around deciding who does what pages?  Is there some sort of coin toss to decide it?  ;D
The first rule is : I clean the first and the last page in each chapter. Why ? because I do know what I want in cleaning, and want people to start reading our release with a nice page, and to finish it with another nice one... So that the pleasure is from start to the end.
For the other pages, cleaners choose themselves the pages they want to clean, depending of the raw quality and their cleaning techniques. Some prefers simple page and let difficult pages to others skilled cleaners, and some (like me) prefer to take a hard page.
As I always say : Clean only one page, but clean it very well instead of taking 3 pages and do 3 awful pages :noworry

Dragonzair said:
Random question:
Do you like strawberry lolippops!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? <3
Of course yes !! Everybody should like Strawberry Lolipops !!! I'm a candy lover.... :p

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Eagle said:
Thanks !! Does it mean that my English is not "THAT" Jutsu bad ?! ^^
Nope not bad English at all, you learned it well! :thumbs

And my time management question was a little bit of a joke ( I'm so busy forum-hopping between NarutoForums and Mangahelpers that I end up forgetting to do OTHER things, namely life related things! ) Your advice seems good though, I'll remember to think of my life first! After all this Naruto 295 RAW uploading business is done... >_>

goku100

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hey i like your cleaning and scanning very much. I do clean and scan manga myself but i am not very good and i am looking for some tutorials on how to get better, so if you could be kind enough to tell me where i can get tutorials from or if you could persoanlly teach me if it dont take to long, i shall be very happy. Here is some of my work:

I am having trouble with the latest naruto and bleach manga, help really appreciated^^

Eagle

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
France

Hi Goku100, as you came on Japflap's forum, we'll talk about your problems there. Or maybe we should talk in a Tutorial topic if there is one here (didn't check yet).
This topic is not for "teaching", but for "asking some questions about Japflap Team and our releases"
(even if nobody seems to have more questions for us now X__X )

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

There is a subforum here in "Meet the Manga Editors" you can certainly use for tutorial purposes. "General Edited Manga Questions."

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Hey Eagle!

Why did you choose to become a Computer Network Administrator in a Bank?

What was the first manga you read?

What was the first anime you saw?

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

As JapFlap has only started doing english HQ´s recently... ( about 20 chapters? i must say i only have your releases from 290 and further at the moment :sweatdrop so i don't know )

Are those latest chapters difficult to clean? With all those trees etc...

Did you do only french scans in the beginning? or did you start with the intention to do both, and why?
=
Why did you decide to translate your releases to english too?

Which language do you like better?

EDIT: Obviously, i should always read the other pages before i post, not afterwards :darn, deleted a certain question :eyeroll

What's your favourite smiley?

Why do you like the 'strikethrough' tag so much?