The MaggeuS thread. | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The MaggeuS thread.

MaggeuS

Intl Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Okay, here it is !
Post all you're questions about French here, i'll try to treat all of them ! ( yeah, i'm good in Physics generally, so i got massive free time :p ) And more :)

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
I'll be sure to ask about french later, but there is one thing I want to know, how did you study English? Since I'm an English teacher I like to know how others study and get really good in English....
So what did you do to reach your level?
I've studied french for two years (in 8th and 9th grade) and also latin in 7th grade. But I never used it, and pretty much forgot all of it... All I remember is it was very hard to conjugate I had to memorize songs and all that just to remember how to speak... :s

MaggeuS

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Very simple : My mother is an english teacher, so she helped me a lot. I practiced it when i was young, you see, when Suikoden came out. It was a video game on playstation which was not translated in french ... And i loved it ! My mother was playing with me when i had troubles with some words ... Then i went to the internet, and i read, i read, i read ... That's why I was always the best in english, in every grades ^^ . ( until came " Math sup" or the best classes... I don't know if there is an equivalent in english for this ... ;) )

And i don't think i'm really that good ... ^^

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I love Suikoden! :glomp

That's an interesting way to learn English!

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Yeah, it's nice to see such passion to learn a language! It's like how I was with Japanese, instead I just taught myself. My parents didn't know the language :s

Iwanin

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Yeah, I think the best way to learn a language is to find something you like, and then expose yourself to related media in that language as much as possible.

For instance, I learned to read English by reading the instruction manuals for my Transformer toys! Ah! Those were the days! More than meets the eye!

Nowadays, I visit videogame news sites in Japanese, I buy and play Japanese games almost exclusively, and I try to watch as much NHK as possible, even though most of the time I'm stuck with BS News (that's the actual name of the program - long live Engrish!), and when they go into topics like politics and North Korea, I get completely lost...

But you Gotta love it when they say "BS News wo otsutai shimashita!" ("We just gave you BS News!")  :tem

roth

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
As a french, the best way to learn english is :
first, learn the basic at school
then, u have to keep on read something in english or just keep on hearing it.
I mean I learned the basic at school, then i played a lot of games in english (no french :s) like Megaman, Warhammer, Suikoden, etc...
Also when u are surfing on the web, u have to understand english for many websites. And of course, if u are looking for a training course or a job, employers are often asking for someone that is quite good in english, good enough to translate few things.

Damn, that was so difficult for me to write that.... (Is my english correct ?)

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
You have a few things wrong in the post, I can help point them out. But if all my students were like the ones I meet on forums, my job would be a lot easier... seriously japanese students just aren't interested in learning outside of class :s

Zenith

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
that explains why japanese people cant speak english for nuts.

4ghost

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe if they could find something that would interest them outside of the class. Can't really imagine what that might be, but it looks like it helps alot for many people here.

bebong

Reaction score
njt said:
I'll be sure to ask about french later, but there is one thing I want to know, how did you study English? Since I'm an English teacher I like to know how others study and get really good in English....
So what did you do to reach your level?
I've studied french for two years (in 8th and 9th grade) and also latin in 7th grade. But I never used it, and pretty much forgot all of it... All I remember is it was very hard to conjugate I had to memorize songs and all that just to remember how to speak... :s
You're a teacher 0_0"?? Well, like Iwanin said, he's true. I can read Japanese thanks to the beyblade toy, naruto mangas, jap comics, yeah yeah.... but only *READ* MaggeuS, sometime later probably I'll be interested in French :p

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece
Since you guys are talking about English for once (and since njt is a teacher :blink ) I'll say a thing or two :tem
In Greece taking English lessons from as young as 2nd-3rd grade is common. My parents tell me I could read a word or two in English and even pronounce them right, before I went to school. Then again I could read and write before I went to 1st grade and have always been very talkative :eyeroll
What motivated me to learn the language was at first my curiosity, later on the never ending praise I got on how good I was compared to the other kids of my age (I was never really good in anything else other than English, or so I think). Now, however, I like the language for many reasons: Its overal feel, the sound of it (generally, as well as some accents), its grammar and its flexibility in making adjectives or verbs from nouns! Ex.: "I was Storm Bolted" or "You have an I-just-want-to-find-my-way-to-the-bed look" instead of "You have a sleepy look". Sometimes I even write in my diary in English, because it comes naturally at times, since when I write in English my character is a little different (that sounds awfully like schizophrenia :darn ). So, njt, you really need to find a way to motivate your students. You could also use one of my Engish teacher's sayings: "If you want to speak English fluently, or any language for that matter, you must be able to think in it".

Maggeus: Umm, sorry for talking about me in your thread, I couldn't help it :p

MaggeuS

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
No problem Anax, feel free to express your feelings here :)
Moreover, i was too able to speak a little english before i learnt it at school. I was really better than everyone else in this language.
I understand too why you think English sounds good : it's not the international language for nothing :)
It's easier to learn quickly english than other language, coz you are surrounded by this language, wherever you go.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Hmm...

1. How did you get into Naruto?
2. Is it difficult to translate English to French? How long does it normally take you on each chapter?
3. Since you asked me about Final Drafts, do you think you could find at least two more people to be able to judge your translations? I think that'd do it.

See ya!

MaggeuS

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
1 : A friend gave me 4 naruto DVD fansubbed by the Zeus Team ( a french team ), and then i loved it, that's all ^^
2 : It's not that difficult, beacause many expressions are the same, but yeah, sometimes, i have to reformulate the sentences.
3 : i think that i can find more than two ;) I'll ask them.

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
Reaction score
Country
Greece
MaggeuS you might want to know, as well as everyone else, that languages universally share sayings and expressions! I don't know if someone says something first and it spreads or if it's about archetypes and the collective unconcious. Right now time is really pressing and I can't think of examples, though I've found sayings and/or expressions that are 90% similar in Greek, English and French! Moreover, since I've been influenced so much by English I've once or twice said some English expressions word for word and no one noticed anything weird about it :p Same goes for Greek to English ^ ^ The web brings all sorts of cultures closer with effects possibly unthinkable for us non-sociologists ^ ^
Hey, this is the MaggeuS thread. What do you think about all this MaggeuS?

MaggeuS

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
I think you're right. "Languages universally shares sayings and expressions" : isn't it what it has to be ? An easy connection between people ?
But i don't really understand what you're saying in this part : " i've found [...] 90% similar in Greek, English and French ! ". Errr... In fact, yes, i understand :p
I'll just tell you this : French, English and Greek got the same "root" or "base".
But when a language evolve, it changes almost totally ( like old french and new french ! The same for Greek !! ). But there are expressions that often stay.
Anyway, you're not the one who uses general expressions in other language, so why do we have to see something weird ? This is not weird at all ! ^^
You're view of the whole thing is quite interesting... " The web brings all sorts of cultures closers" : I HOPE SO :)

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I agree that the internet is bringing all sorts of cultures together ;) :thumbs

My questions!

1. Do you usually get somebody to help you with your translations, or do you do it all on your own?
2. Could you give some examples of some Naruto ninjutsu techniques in French?
3. What's up with your life nowadays?

bebong

Reaction score
My question MaggeuS!!!

1. Which is better, Naruto or Bleach??

2. Why??

3. What do you usually do at house excluding being online??

THX!!

MaggeuS

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
To GK :

1) In rare occasions, i ask my mother, but when i definitely not understand a thing ( i did it for 284 i remembered... ). So i do it almost all alone.
2)Arg... In french... The translator is quite good ^^
Here is a play word : U-Zu-Ma-Ki Naruto ninsen rendam !
In french official : La Naru-Tornade ! ( Naru for Naruto, La for The, and Tornade for WhirlWind ( the meaning for Uzumaki in Japanese :p )
I would translate it more litteraly : Enchainement de 1000 coups, style Naruto !
Here are some others : Katon Goukakyuu no jutsu !
Katon ! Technique de la boule de feu suprème ! ( ninjutsu : ultimate fireball :p )
Jyukenpo : Hakke. Rokujuu Yonshou.
Technique divine : les 64 points divins.
Kagebunshin No Jutsu !
Official : Multi-clonage. ( just translate like if it's english, it's the same. )
Mine : " Technique Ninja : les clones de l'ombre ".
If you want more, i'll try :)
3) With my life ? Mmm ... I just had my exams, and in physics, i'm the first of my university :) My sister, who lives in Great Britain, come for the holidays, and we are going to go tomorrow to "Marakech" ( i don't know if it's the word of this city in english ^^ ). So for one week i won't be able to answer your question / translate the next Naruto :(

To bebong :

1) It's totally different ! I cannot choose, sorry ^^ and i'm going to explain why...

2) Bleach is a story with a great plot, sometimes it rushes a bit... But there are too much blood in my opinion :p
Naruto is fun and original, with great questions without answers. ( yeah, we all want to know WHO is this f.... akatsuki leader ^^ ), but sometimes many characters look like others ... ( Sai / Sasuke ... Gaara / Naruto ... kerps ^^ ). It's perhaps too much ...

3) Mmm... Playing Naruto 4 on GC, prying for having NH3 on PS2...
Working my maths and physics... ( i play guild wars too, and valkyrie profile ^^ )

I'll return the question : bebong, what do you do at home ? ^^