Life The MangaHelpers Confessional Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,757
Reaction score
26,057
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I confess, I kind of lost interest and heart in my job. I want to start my own business.
I haven't lost interest and heart in my job but I was also thinking the same in regards to the latter part. :p
Well - care to say why you've lost interest as such??
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
I haven't lost interest and heart in my job but I was also thinking the same in regards to the latter part. :p
Well - care to say why you've lost interest as such??
First of all, the rewards I can get from own business with the same efforts I put in job, would be much more. The resources feel limited with the inflation over the last few year, even though I have good job with decent salary and benefits. Then, I don't like the fact my self respect is subject to my boss's mood. I am good with my subordinates, very kind to be exact. However, most of bosses here are rude - even when there is no fault. Last but not least, you get too much tied with job. I yearn for Freedom and want to do things on my own terms.

In nutshell, mostly its the financial aspect.
 

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
1,563
Reaction score
865
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Basically NASA cut funding to young scientist programs and Bolden said there ain't going to be any upcoming flagship missions.

Which is fucking bullcrap because NASA is all about the bloody mission.

So I had to seriously rewrite my grad school essays to ignore NASA and focus on physicsy stuff.

I hate this app stuff... I just wanna do research, okay schools? Just let me do research! I really love it and have wanted to do it since elementary school. Sadly, that is the kiss of death on an application ("I have wanted to go to UCLA since childbirth" among others).

Defect to China.
Doesn't work. Thankfully I don't work with any valuable military secrets. Learned that one early.

I don't know if it's still going on or not, but my brother's roommate was one of many furloughed employees at NASA. It seems sort of a dead end without more funding, and with the government the way it is...
Blagh. Whenever I hear this stuff it makes me want to take on a vigilante vocation.

I assumed he 'knew' somethings and gave her some advice.
She. She is the director of one of the institutes.
 

Pat

Lost and Found
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
6,776
Reaction score
7,040
Gender
Male
Country
Gotei 13
First of all, the rewards I can get from own business with the same efforts I put in job, would be much more. The resources feel limited with the inflation over the last few year, even though I have good job with decent salary and benefits. Then, I don't like the fact my self respect is subject to my boss's mood. I am good with my subordinates, very kind to be exact. However, most of bosses here are rude - even when there is no fault. Last but not least, you get too much tied with job. I yearn for Freedom and want to do things on my own terms.

In nutshell, mostly its the financial aspect.
Perhaps it's because I'm the type of person who tends to minimize risks but I guess I wouldn't quit my "good job with decent salary and benefits" and start my own business. I don't know the economical situation in Pakistan or the likelihood of success in your line of business but just like there's a chance that you can make more money, there's a possibility that things may not go your way and you may find yourself in a difficult position. Not to mention, you're planning to get married soon which means you may need solid financial income. Being your own boss sounds appealing at first but it comes with additional responsibilities and stress which may affect your private life adversely. If you see a future in the company you're currently working in, I would think twice before making such a move. Rude, inconsiderate bosses are everywhere, just ignore them, don't let them get under your skin. If you really think a new business will make your life better, then I wish you the best of luck, just make sure it's the right decision for you.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
thorny, unless you have the entrepreneurial spirital and personality and the willpower to never give up, you're not better off going into your own business. It's hard work, and you will have to likely start from scratch, so there's the funding that you need to be worried about. You also have to find a way to make sure your business gets attention and makes people want to go to you. You also have to take a lot of risks. All in all, unless you've done your research and have an idea what to expect, you're better off sticking with your job and demeaning yourself to put food on the table.

Like most people. :(
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Be prepared to lose some money, maybe more than you can imagine right now. And if it doesn't work, you will be in a fucked up situation for quiet some time. :/ Not trying to be a pessimist, but that's how it goes for most.
 
  • Like
Reactions: M3J

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,757
Reaction score
26,057
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Its nice to have a realistic view of the perspectives and in anytype of business venture, one must plan and prepare.
You have to know and research your target market. In thorns case, it would probably be better if he kept his normal job and managed to have this business as a side venture.
In my case - the job and money being paid to me is not that good, even working for 2/3 companies at the moment.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Well, the one thing I would comment on is the idea that having your own business would require you the same amount of work you are doing now. I guess it is possible but in most cases I would find the idea weird. Presumably you are starting small which means you will be working with very limited resources. At the start you are likely to be lucky to just break even. Your resources being limited has the implication that you can't just spend money to solve certain things BUT shit still has to get done. Which means you have to do it or you have to further overwork some other poor SOB to do it. I have no idea of what your current work situation is with your bosses but you might just find out why they act the way they do (or worst if you consider its your money that is lost when something does not get done or someone does not do something well).

Now, I am by no means trying to dissuade you, having your own succesful business would by all intents and purposes be far more rewarding on multiple accounts than working for someone else. I am just making the point that its unlikely that the amount of work and stress you put into a regular good job with good benefits and whatnot is unlikely to be the same you will need for your own business. Its one thing when you work for someone and you are using their resources to generate profits for them in exchange for an income and it is an entirely different matter when its your resources you are using to make money and you depend on your work and that of employees to make your resources yield profit.
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
I confess that very rarely, I get the feeling like in Inception of a dream being real, that take several minutes to pass. Today I had a dream that felt exceptionally real. It felt like a relived happening, or a future happening, or a merge of the two. I wish it was real.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I confess that very rarely, I get the feeling like in Inception of a dream being real, that take several minutes to pass. Today I had a dream that felt exceptionally real. It felt like a relived happening, or a future happening, or a merge of the two. I wish it was real.
Wow, details pls
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,101
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
If he does, I bet that there will be a ton of Nuno x blai fanfics
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Well, we have a dream thread for this, somewhere :edu
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Well, the one thing I would comment on is the idea that having your own business would require you the same amount of work you are doing now. I guess it is possible but in most cases I would find the idea weird. Presumably you are starting small which means you will be working with very limited resources. At the start you are likely to be lucky to just break even. Your resources being limited has the implication that you can't just spend money to solve certain things BUT shit still has to get done. Which means you have to do it or you have to further overwork some other poor SOB to do it. I have no idea of what your current work situation is with your bosses but you might just find out why they act the way they do (or worst if you consider its your money that is lost when something does not get done or someone does not do something well).

Now, I am by no means trying to dissuade you, having your own succesful business would by all intents and purposes be far more rewarding on multiple accounts than working for someone else. I am just making the point that its unlikely that the amount of work and stress you put into a regular good job with good benefits and whatnot is unlikely to be the same you will need for your own business. Its one thing when you work for someone and you are using their resources to generate profits for them in exchange for an income and it is an entirely different matter when its your resources you are using to make money and you depend on your work and that of employees to make your resources yield profit.
No, it requires far more work because you're doing everything by yourself at first. At his current workplace, there are people for everything - few for IT problems, few to interact with and help customers, few to do finance stuff, few for lawyering, and etc. If thornles is his own man, then he'll have to do all of that until or unless he hires more people. It takes far more work, and you're less likely to break even when you start out unless you already have the equipment, location, and/or clients.

Being an entrepreneur is a very hard work, especially with the amount of risks one would have to take.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
No, it requires far more work because you're doing everything by yourself at first. At his current workplace, there are people for everything - few for IT problems, few to interact with and help customers, few to do finance stuff, few for lawyering, and etc. If thornles is his own man, then he'll have to do all of that until or unless he hires more people. It takes far more work, and you're less likely to break even when you start out unless you already have the equipment, location, and/or clients.

Being an entrepreneur is a very hard work, especially with the amount of risks one would have to take.
I was just mentioning a very general "boss" scenario. In general a being your own boss scenario does kinda require at least a proper minion for you to mercilessly overwork (not because you are evil, you just don't have a choice, you get to choose to be evil later although I don't think that is a good business model). I would guess that even a startup would generally require at least some help but then again that would depend on the details of whatever he intends on doing.....
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
The problems would lie in having enough money to hire someone and being able to trust them though. He might not be able to get someone to work for him immediately if he can't pay the person, and few would join thorny's venture if they already have a stable job.
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Perhaps it's because I'm the type of person who tends to minimize risks but I guess I wouldn't quit my "good job with decent salary and benefits" and start my own business. I don't know the economical situation in Pakistan or the likelihood of success in your line of business but just like there's a chance that you can make more money, there's a possibility that things may not go your way and you may find yourself in a difficult position. Not to mention, you're planning to get married soon which means you may need solid financial income. Being your own boss sounds appealing at first but it comes with additional responsibilities and stress which may affect your private life adversely. If you see a future in the company you're currently working in, I would think twice before making such a move. Rude, inconsiderate bosses are everywhere, just ignore them, don't let them get under your skin. If you really think a new business will make your life better, then I wish you the best of luck, just make sure it's the right decision for you.
Thanks. I have been in real life long enough to assess or weigh my options. Being boss or having bad bosses doesn't mean I will jump at stuff on a whim. I would not start a business unless I am sure it can work.

thorny, unless you have the entrepreneurial spirital and personality and the willpower to never give up, you're not better off going into your own business. It's hard work, and you will have to likely start from scratch, so there's the funding that you need to be worried about. You also have to find a way to make sure your business gets attention and makes people want to go to you. You also have to take a lot of risks. All in all, unless you've done your research and have an idea what to expect, you're better off sticking with your job and demeaning yourself to put food on the table.

Like most people. :(
I have already considered all these scenarios. Talked to friends, relatives and people I know who are associated with business community. There are great opportunities where I am living. Its a big residential community and commercial sector is under-development. Long story short, there are areas I can explore and succeed.

Be prepared to lose some money, maybe more than you can imagine right now. And if it doesn't work, you will be in a fucked up situation for quiet some time. :/ Not trying to be a pessimist, but that's how it goes for most.
I am prepared for that. And I will not quit from the job right away. First of all, I will try to get some months' leaves. If I will not get them, I just have to manage both work and business. It will be little hard but I have my father to help me as well during this transition period.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Pat

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
As long as you're prepared and know the risks, then go for it. Just make sure you have a backup plan just in case. You better succeed though, chubsters. :thumbs


I confess I've gone for a week without soft drinks (unless cranberry and pomegranate juices count), and I feel weird. I miss Pepsi... but I haven't had acid reflux for days. My throat was probably so happy that I got sick. D:
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
U GUYS.

I MADE A C IN PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY.

I FEEL LIKE A FUCKING GENIUS.

:allthe

Made a B in pchem lab (should have done better), and an A in biochem (not sure how that happened because I was a hugeeee slacker in there).
 

Charlie

SIGH-KO 🦄
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
14,757
Reaction score
26,057
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So my last mobile carrier decided to give me a free month of service despite being a pre paid card plan. :zomg

To which I just found out when I turned the old mobile on for fun and realized I had service despite not having paid for a few months. I was like...... dafek!!

But then I serious-ed because everyone has my new mobile number and I have no ideas what to do with the old one....


/I am lost.............. :arf
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Use the old one to prank or troll people. Duh.

You're so dumb, Charles. You have a great opportunity to prank the fuck out of people, take that opportunity.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top