Year Round - The Martial Arts thread | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Year Round The Martial Arts thread

bleachboy88

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Re: Mind Body and Kick ass moves, Martial arts madness on a tv series.

Yeah I love Marital Arts for those reasons too. I just felt more mature after a really hard class. (and like you said it just looks so cool!) :p
Though doing 500 knuckle push-ups in one day didn't FEEL cool. :s

Yeah your right about it being alot about kicking. Though most traditional Korean Styles are that way. Guess they really like using there legs, huh?
My teacher was also real big on stances. We had about ten of 'em we went through and we had to sit in them for one minute each before each class (Plus breathing exercises and stretching.)
Ah, writing about this makes me miss the good ol' days.
Great, now I sound like an old geezer. :eyeroll

Oh, I have only watched the first video so far (The Enshin ryu) and I loved the arrow slicing part. My teacher had a sword trick he loved to do at demonstrations.
He would take a high ranking student, have them lay flat with one chair supporting their head, the other chair supporting their legs. Then he would put a cucumber on their stomach and proceed to slice the cucumber in half without hitting the students skin. :gailee

conan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Jordan

bleachboy88 said:
Yeah I love Marital Arts for those reasons too. I just felt more mature after a really hard class. (and like you said it just looks so cool!) :p
Though doing 500 knuckle push-ups in one day didn't FEEL cool. :s

Yeah your right about it being alot about kicking. Though most traditional Korean Styles are that way. Guess they really like using there legs, huh?
My teacher was also real big on stances. We had about ten of 'em we went through and we had to sit in them for one minute each before each class (Plus breathing exercises and stretching.)
Ah, writing about this makes me miss the good ol' days.
Great, now I sound like an old geezer. :eyeroll

Oh, I have only watched the first video so far (The Enshin ryu) and I loved the arrow slicing part. My teacher had a sword trick he loved to do at demonstrations.
He would take a high ranking student, have them lay flat with one chair supporting their head, the other chair supporting their legs. Then he would put a cucumber on their stomach and proceed to slice the cucumber in half without hitting the students skin. :gailee
hah, you dont sound old at all, but for young people its the only real thing we can experience and master at ayoung age, other things take a life time thats all.
any way here is a clip just for you bleach boy, its the same presenter showing a korean martial art named tae kyon, in it is the basis of tae kwon do, but this is older and its phsycology and philosophy is different, but before that, about the trick your master did with the sword, thats a good trick, it shows familiarity and knowing to the edge of the sword, like someone said, if you know the edge you know when it cuts and when it doesn, if you've seen the enshin ryu video they did talk about the relation ship between the sword and the one who holds it, amazing isnt it, anyway here is the clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3nmjKvOADo

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Karate kyoushinkai for one and half a year. I like it, but due to other circumstances I coudn't continue on.
Now I'm interested in aikido ^^ And probably will try to go for some lessons, training etc. if I moved someday, because now it isn't anywhere here where i lived any clubs or dojos to begin with :x

bleachboy88

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score

Sorry it took me so long to respond. Just started a new job so I will be dropping in and out sperodically for a while. :darn

Dude that tae kyon clip was sweet! :smile-big
I loved how he the korean guy explained how he was in a happy mood while fighting. Cuase the more relaxed you are the better the strike is.
And the comment about how the art looked liked dancing reminded me of an african art that was also made to look like dancing so people would not know they were traning to kill.

I know what you mean with the releationship between the weapon and its weilder. It's kinda hard to picture sometimes, but when your holding a staff/sword/etc. and stopping thinking of it as a tool and treat it as part of you, an extension of your body its crazy what you can do. :kkanbu

conan

Reaction score
Country
Jordan

bleachboy88 said:
Sorry it took me so long to respond. Just started a new job so I will be dropping in and out sperodically for a while. :darn

Dude that tae kyon clip was sweet! :smile-big
I loved how he the korean guy explained how he was in a happy mood while fighting. Cuase the more relaxed you are the better the strike is.
And the comment about how the art looked liked dancing reminded me of an african art that was also made to look like dancing so people would not know they were traning to kill.

I know what you mean with the releationship between the weapon and its weilder. It's kinda hard to picture sometimes, but when your holding a staff/sword/etc. and stopping thinking of it as a tool and treat it as part of you, an extension of your body its crazy what you can do. :kkanbu
no problem about being late, good luck with your job though, the thing I liked about tae kyon is the mental part, about hitting but still feeling happy and relaxed about it, its a philosophy I found very practical in training and you can find it used in martial arts like russian systema or ki aikido and other martial arts, it really makes the training easier when your more relaxed, and it helped me a lot when I trained in ki aikido.

Azurel

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I didn't know there are so many type of martial arts.. the more commonly known are karate, kung fu, taekwendo, aikido and judo.. Well, I have always wanted to learn a martial arts.. But never really know which is suitable for me.. Can anyone explain briefly what are taught in the different martial arts? ^^

conan

Reaction score
Country
Jordan
Azurel said:
I didn't know there are so many type of martial arts.. the more commonly known are karate, kung fu, taekwendo, aikido and judo.. Well, I have always wanted to learn a martial arts.. But never really know which is suitable for me.. Can anyone explain briefly what are taught in the different martial arts? ^^
well thats very hard to answer since there is a lot of martial arts, I can help you with since I know what most martial arts offer in terms of what the martial art deals with, but my advice to you is to first find a close school around you, since the most important thing is for the martial art to be accessible, then if you collect the names of what styles are taught around you I can tell what each one has to offer and you can make you r choice after that, but you have to always use the first three months as an experiment to see how things are going and if you feel your improving and if your teachers really good, after that you make the decision to stay or not, I hope this helped, if you need any expalnation of certain martial arts just ask, and for fun, there the the link in my sig for a thread, I in that thread I collected videos for a program showing some of the most famous martial arts masters in the world doing some crazy things for the average person.

thats all I have, hope this was productive for you.

Shojin

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
A martial arts thread! Sweet! :o

I am not a martial artist to be honest, but I do read a lot about them. I always loved the cultures as well as the history, the styles, the principles, the disciplines behind them, everything! I was even going to learn martial arts myself but I never did.

I been a fan of martial arts ever since I was a little kid. I even sometimes think of traveling the world someday to learn more about them cause I personaly believe that despite the styles that are known already, there still seems to be a lot of styles out there that are still unknown to most of us, not even in the net, books, etc.

Hmmm.....now if I remember correctly, from the last time I heard, the actual number of how many styles there are out there so far was over 1.2 million styles but then again that was just a guess from some member of another site that I went to once. And since the number of martial art styles increase every now and then, there is no telling how many of them are out there.

So honestly, Do you all believe that maybe there are still some types of styles out there that we all may not know about or that we believe that don't exists?

Sorata

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Wow, a martial arts thread, this is great, i´ll talk a bit about myself, i´m a jeet-kwon do follower and my life is only martial arts, people think i´m crazy because of that, when i was younger(i´m 20 now) i tried to have fun with the other guys in discos and trips, and in there i become extremely boring, now i have a lot of self confidece and i don´t hide my true intentions(that´s why people think i´m crazy).
Now concerning martial arts, i have practiced Kenpo(the american way i think, i´m portuguese) - 1 year, Muay Thay - 2 years, Greeck Fight - 3 years, Olimpic Wrestling - a couple of months, Tae Kwondo - 2 years and Boxing - 5 years; i allways trained 2 or 3 martial arts at the same time(Greeck, wrestling. Kenpo and Boxing were at the same time). My view at martial arts is that no one is perfect, especially tae Kwon do, it´s a very poor martial artin terms of complete fighters, i´m not saying it´s bad, because the important isn´t the martial art but the martial artist, but tae is a lot about high kicks, and an experienced fighter can dodge them very easily and they are very easy to counter, in my point of view. And concerning the world of martial arts, i think people are forgetting the things that Muhamed Ali and Bruce Lee said, forthe youngsters like us the most important is Power, speed and good muscles, i´, 1,74m and 66kg, and my bench press is 100kg and i can squat 130kg,i have great flexibility and a good recuperation resistance, i can do 250 push ups, and 15 push ups only with 3 fingers, and i garantee you that has made me a much better martial artist.
Sorry for all the talking, but when it´s concerning martial arts i´m like that:(.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm thinking about practicing T'ai Chi this summer as a part of my routine exercise.

Shojin

Reaction score
Country
United States
^Yeah, Tai chi does make a good routine exercise! :amuse

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Doesn't it. =)

sleepysam

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
My dad has been teaching martial arts for almost 20 years now, but I never consistently participated in his classes until recently. Now I regret not learning sooner. He teaches all aspects of Filipino martial arts including kickboxing (panantukan sikaran), grappling (dumog), and of course weapons (eskrima).

Shojin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, that is awesome! Your dad must be famous or something!

miyi

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did tang soo do (Korean martial arts) for about 5-6 months, when I was five years old. Then I quit. :p

I was the youngest in the class at the time, the other participants were, on average, in their 30s.

I plan to take martial arts again, preferably either Taekwondo, tang soo do, or Karate. If I find enough spare time and get in good shape, I will definitely consider it. Especially since I'm paranoid, any form of self defense is a plus.

Zaloof

Reaction score
i did boxing for some time, and switched to gorilla street fight

eyeshild21

Intl Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hi everyone.I am practicinig Aikido for 3 years.That is a wonderful art I have ever seen.
But still I don't know how to use BoKen(Katana,sword).Mostly we practice Taijutsu(hand to hand combat just like "Lee from Naruto manga" ).

If you wanna know more about Aikido please let me know.I can tell you more...

FluugMacMan

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Hi everyone.I am practicinig Aikido for 3 years.That is a wonderful art I have ever seen.
But still I don't know how to use BoKen(Katana,sword).Mostly we practice Taijutsu(hand to hand combat just like "Lee from Naruto manga" ).

If you wanna know more about Aikido please let me know.I can tell you more...
A word of advice, save your money and stop spending it on Aikido lessons. Aikido looks good in theory, but it's virtually useless when your opponent doesn't go with the typical "stand there and do nothing" approach. I use to practice aikido and japanese juijitsu, then I found that the moves in Brazilian Juijitsu and Greco-Roman/Catch/Folklore Wrestling/Sambo are light years ahead in simplicity and effectiveness then anything Aikido has. Try your Aikido against a submission wrestler or on a blue belt or higher in Brazilian Juijitsu. You will see just how dominate those previous arts I mentioned are. I don't believe in false confidence when fighting. All martial arts should be living arts, where they're tested in real life situations and not demonstrations. Just my thoughts.

CetLot

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
kung-fu 5 years
budo taijutsu 9 years

bebekhappy

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
My friend once asked me this question..."Okay, here in Asia we've got lots of martial arts technique, so what about European martial arts?"...then we both in complete silence...I can only think of Boxing, Fencing and wrestling, then in earlier post someone mention Greek and roman fight which i'm totally clueless about.

I'm not really into martial arts, cos when it comes to fight (well i do fight quite a lot in junior and senior high) i rely on my instinct...which often ended up my defeat :p, off course it didn't mean i only think that martial is only used for fight or battle. So can anyone here help me to know more about European or Western martial arts? so then when someone asked me that question again i can answer it.