Year Round - The Martial Arts thread | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Year Round The Martial Arts thread

SkyKing

Manga Editor
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Basicly, I've been doing Muay Thai (Thai boxing) all my life and still practicing. I toke some karate classes here and there for at least a year, then decided to quit. I'm interested in kendo, and plan to take some class for it. Right now, I'm taking some Judo lesson.

Ominae

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'm doing Kendo this year at my university.

Can talk about anything kendo here (First time, interest, actual practitioners in clubs, etc...)

I'd like to start off that I joined a kendo club in my university and I have my own shinai.

No hakama and bogu yet though. Good thing I had my basic Japanese to understand some of the commands and whatnot by sensei and the seniors...

[yomiko]moved from General Discussion and merged posts ^^[/yomiko]

Last edited by a moderator:

Moenova

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I'm doing Kuk Sool Won, a corean martial system that resumes all Corean martial arts. Here in Spain is not very extended but Its a great martial art.

Roanapur

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Kickboxing, BJJ, and some Judo. A tiny bit of kenjutsu some time ago.

I'm 5'7", 178lbs.

Been doing kickboxing since I was 16, BJJ since I was 19 or 20, and Judo for like a month a couple of years ago.

Roanapur

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the fastest growing sport in America, and arguably, many parts of the world.

As the name suggests, any fighter from any style can compete. Nowadays, though, it's considered taboo to even dream of competing without having both a strong standup/striking base(ex. karate, kickboxing, etc...), but also a strong ground fighting base(ex. Greco-Roman wrestling, catch wrestling, BJJ, Judo, etc...).

This is because you'd be surprised at how ineffective many standup techniques are when you actually have to worry about being taken down or thrown to the ground.

Currently, the largest MMA organization is UFC(www.ufc.com), which bought out it's rival from Japan, PrideFC, and has put together some of the matchups that all fans have wanted to see.

I actually didn't get into MMA myself until I started BJJ, where my trainer likes to chat it up about MMA all the time before/after class and during warmups.

Anyone else here fans?

Hollow Kurono

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Re: Mixed Martial Arts/MMA Thread

I like MMA,but i havent seen much of it,just heard,but its sounds exciting,i wouldnt mind fighting in this type of fighting,but im stuck with basketball.Maybe in my next life i will become one :)

MindGame

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

Heard about it a long time ago, interested in it, but never became a real fan.

I don't really know where to start.
Could anyone give like a brief summary of the things going on in the MMA/UFC right now? (current champions, etc.)
I know that there is a reality show called the Ultimate Fighter where the winner got a six-figure contract with the UFC

miyi

Reaction score
Country
United States

I'm no devout fan or anything like that, but I do enjoy the sport.

I like Quinton "Rampage" Jackson though, especially how he decisively defeated Chuck Liddel twice (although I only saw the latter fight). I also like Jackson's colorful personality, very funny guy.

And I also admire Ken Shamrock...that guy is the epitome of a warrior...he's like Naruto, never gives up.

I've always wondered how traditional martial artists, like Bruce Lee or Jet Li, how they would fare against these guys...I mean, obviously there's a significant size disadvantage...but hypothetically, what if they were of the same size/weight and all that....who would fare better?

Windmillblade

Reaction score
Country
United States

I'm no devout fan or anything like that, but I do enjoy the sport.

I like Quinton "Rampage" Jackson though, especially how he decisively defeated Chuck Liddel twice (although I only saw the latter fight). I also like Jackson's colorful personality, very funny guy.

And I also admire Ken Shamrock...that guy is the epitome of a warrior...he's like Naruto, never gives up.

I've always wondered how traditional martial artists, like Bruce Lee or Jet Li, how they would fare against these guys...I mean, obviously there's a significant size disadvantage...but hypothetically, what if they were of the same size/weight and all that....who would fare better?
Bruce Lee hands down no contest look at some clips of him from real stuff no movies, watch all the documentaries like i have and youll know i speak the truth. i wish what you said about ken was true. i just yesterday seen an old fight of him against some japanese guy and he gave up while in the clinch....i didnt know what the hell happend but anyway. my top fighters are.
1.Spyder Silva
2.Kenny "ken flo" Florian
3.Forest Griffin
4. Stephen Boner
5.George St. Pierre
6.Urijah Faber
7. the Axe murderer Silva
8. Rampage Jackson
9. B.J Penn
10.Diego Sanchez
11. Nate Diaz
12. Cung Le
13.Karo the Heat Parijian
14.clay guida
15. Dan henderson
16.Roger Huerta
17. jon koppenhaver/war machine
These are my best of the best.

any one else gonna keep this thread going

Last edited:

Fugitive

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica

I saw that Kimbo Slice fight on EliteXC that was on CBS. That fight was brutal and at the same time sucked. I guess it's expected though. Kimbo is still learning the ropes of MMA and he's doing it the smart way by slowly fighting guys that are a little better each time.

I also saw the Cung Le - Frank Shamrock fight. That was a great fight. I always thought that Cung Le fought MMA. Apparently though, that fight verses Shamrock was his big break in MMA. I don't know... I'm not big into watching MMA, just certain names I like to see those guys fight.

I'd like to see Kimbo fight Ken Shamrock.

Windmillblade

Reaction score
Country
United States

andorson silva tore james irvin a new 1 yesterday=the best

Fugitive

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica

I'd like to see Kimbo fight Ken Shamrock.
And I get what I ask for in October. If Ken fights smart and sticks to his ground game which he is deadly known for, Kimbo is dead.

Looking forward to the Lesnar vs. Couture fight. Looking for the upset. Much respect to Randy, but hopefully Lesnar pounds him and becomes the new dominating force in the heavyweight division for the UFC.

And this Anderson Silva vs. Patrick Cote fight coming up is a joke. Really..? Does no one really want to fight Spyder Silva? Lame...

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Re: The Martial Arts tread

Changed the name to Martial Arts thread to make it a wider topic. Feel free to discuss what Martial Art you're taking, which Martial Art that you like the most to watch or just freely about the subject.

/Blai

Fugitive

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Re: The Martial Arts tread

Actually you made it a "tread" instead of a "thread."

So this is the pattern on the rubber of a tire, but pertaining to martial arts.

Granted there is already a "martial arts thread" and like this tread, it's not being used.

All these old outdated threads should just be deleted.
If interest sparks again for these topics someone can always start a new thread.
Or tread...

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Fugitive said:
All these old outdated threads should just be deleted.
The "outdated thread" is e.g. in Naruto section: reading some new stuff, asking about sth, discussion, and later on some chapter comes and answer the question from the first post. I would call this thread "old", not outdated. If someone wants sth about Martial Arts, he/she will find the topic and write a post; if someone will not find because of some reason, moderator probably will merge the post with the already existing thread. It's as simple as that.

Ochiru

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Finland
Ive been training Karate ever since I was 6 years old,Boxing ever since 8,Taekwondo ever since 9 and Jujutsu ever since 11.
Ive been interested into martial arts ever since a child along with that many people been saying Im talented into that and well I often take matches and well at Karate ive aqquired black belt soon is the time for Taekwondo and then Jujutsu