The Mel_Luvz_Anime Thread

Mel_Luvz_Anime

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2007
Messages
321
Reaction score
218
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
Well, I've been here on MH for a while now but I've never really made one of these threads. Even though I've been here for a while, I still think I'm fairly new.

So what got me started in translating?
Well I read a lot of doujinshi's and unfortunately most of what I got was not translated, or in original japanese format and nobody would translate them for me to understand them. So I started to get curious and I started to figure stuff out by myself, using the internet, spent like a good few months with a relatively new fascination.... the Japanese language. It really did fascinate me, there was so much that I hadn't known and so much that I wanted to know. So then I started my own self teaching program, got heaps of textbooks and stuff and went on a mission hahaha yeah well it was crazy. So this was about 2 years ago.

So now I translate for many Edited Manga groups, and came across MH and decided I'd try and help out here. Although I'm still a bit confused about who does what, and if someone is doing a series then there's really no point in me doing that. Anyways I'm usually doing other projects so I only adopted a few projects on MH.

So also, translating japanese is not my life. If you want to know who I am, My name is Mel and I'm 19 years old and am studying a Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering at the University of Newcastle, going onto my 3rd year in March... so as you see, it's nothing related to translating, so this is merely a hobby lolz

I do hope to one day travel to Japan though, on maybe my next vacation. I've always wanted to go there, mostly everything about Japan fascinates me, the culture, the food, the language ofcourse, the people, the customs and traditions, the fact that its the electronic and digital capital of the world doesn't hurt, also maybe that its the origin of the world's best animated series in the world (anime and manga are my salvation ^_^)

So that's about all of me, well ofcourse there's much much more to me than that tiny piece of info, but if you have any questions, ask away ^_^
 

chadezard

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 3, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
oh man, you sound hot! and i've always wanted to go to japan too! omg, i'll take you with me. better yet, we can meet half way! maybe spend a week there. and you can translate everything for me, cause the only words in japanes i know is nani, hai, and baka.... hehe hehe baka.... but yeah, it would be some awesomely amazerifical!
 
Last edited:

hatsuharupeace

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
6,761
Reaction score
907
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Mel!! Finally got your own board!!! Congrats to you, and as a present, got some questions for yah. xD

1. Favourite place in Australia??
2. Top 5 Manga??
3. What genre do you like, Shounen, Shoujo or Seinen, or any others??
4. If you had to learn another language, what would it be??

BTW, which projects are you currently translating at MH?
 

~Lilium~

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
1,519
Reaction score
8
Gender
Female
Country
British Antarctic Territory
wow!! self-study japanese, that's some will-power :nuts it must be hard to do that by urself.

who's your siggy btw? :p
 

Mel_Luvz_Anime

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2007
Messages
321
Reaction score
218
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
Mel!! Finally got your own board!!! Congrats to you, and as a present, got some questions for yah. xD

1. Favourite place in Australia??
2. Top 5 Manga??
3. What genre do you like, Shounen, Shoujo or Seinen, or any others??
4. If you had to learn another language, what would it be??

BTW, which projects are you currently translating at MH?
Hehe yep thanks, so on with the answers ^_^

1. Hmm I'd say the Gold Coast, awesome beaches. I luv to go there for holidays. Also Sydney, most ppl don't like it coz of the congestion but I luv it coz of the social life ^_^ I'm kinda outgoing :D So I luv to party. Also another place is down at Perisher Blue/Jindabyne in autumn, thats when the snow is wonderful. I luv skii-ing.

2. Well top 5 Manga to read... *thinks*
a) Hana Kimi
b) Fruits Basket
c) Bleach
d) Vampire Knight
e) Inuyasha

3. Well as you've prolly already guessed, I love reading shoujo. But when it comes to translating I like to t/l seinen/shounen mostly because I learn a lot more that way since the language is more complex. But on a larger scale Yaoi has to top the list, major fan of yaoi ^_^

4. Hindi would definitely be my next choice, since it is my mother tongue and I know very little, it's kind of embarrasing lolz

Oh yeah, some projects I'm working on or have worked on so far on MH include:

a) Pat Ken Ch 1
b) Kure-nai Ch 1 + 2
c) Biohazard Part 1
d) Matsuri Special Ch 2
e) There's also Ahiru no Sora and Vampire Knight, but they're just distributed here, they're not really MH projects I think

Apart from that I have 4 other projects for other Edited Manga groups, so that's why my MH projects are limited. Otherwise I'd do more.

wow!! self-study japanese, that's some will-power :nuts it must be hard to do that by urself.

who's your siggy btw? :p
Yeah a lot of will-power, that's why it was very opportunistic for me that it was kind of an obsession haha. It was really hard, but u know I like a challenge and to learn new things.

About the sig, you're about the 3rd person to ask me that actually. But the truth is I don't know, I found it somewhere and really liked it so I got it, but I think it's from a video game, don't know which one. If anyone finds out where it's from plz tell me :amuse I'm sure a lot of others I know would like to know
 
Last edited:

hatsuharupeace

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
6,761
Reaction score
907
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
wow!! self-study japanese, that's some will-power :nuts it must be hard to do that by urself.

who's your siggy btw? :p
I think Bax would know who it is, I think he has the same character in his siggy as well. Try asking him. xD
 

~Lilium~

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
1,519
Reaction score
8
Gender
Female
Country
British Antarctic Territory
^yeah i was about to say that :amuse

it looks really pretty though. :XD

I tried studying japanese throught the net once too. i only manage hiragana and a tid-bit of katakana. :scry that's really some will-power you got there. I wish i had that too...

how long did it take u to learn it btw? :p
 

Mel_Luvz_Anime

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2007
Messages
321
Reaction score
218
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
I think Bax would know who it is, I think he has the same character in his siggy as well. Try asking him. xD
Yeah I think I saw it once. He probably knows where its from ^_^

^yeah i was about to say that :amuse

it looks really pretty though. :XD

I tried studying japanese throught the net once too. i only manage hiragana and a tid-bit of katakana. :scry that's really some will-power you got there. I wish i had that too...

how long did it take u to learn it btw? :p
lolz that's why I think it's best to not only learn from the itnernet, it can only teach you so much. You need to be practising and learning a lot more. I found that Grammar is one of the hardest things to learn.

I started about 2 years ago, so about that long. Even though it's been 2 years, I'm still constantly learning and take time out for more lessons, coz I think you can never know everything there is to know about Japanese. That would be impossible, but once you start learning kanji and grammar then you pretty much are ok. That's why I prefer to translate seinen manga, the language is really complex and you learn so much from it.
 

~Lilium~

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
1,519
Reaction score
8
Gender
Female
Country
British Antarctic Territory
did u have tutoring?

oh yeah, what series do you translate?
 

kyubisharingan

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2006
Messages
2,647
Reaction score
103
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Jamaica
haha, i love seeing people who taught themselves another language. its fascinates me!!! i also have friends that taght themselves. You said you started your own self teaching program...mind if i ask what you did? im also teaching myslef, with help for friends who also know japanese.

If you ever go to japan, you will like Okinawa. i have been there (my dad is in the military, so we lived there for 3 and half years). There is a lot of beautiful things in japan. But man...tokyo is the most confusing place i have ever been to
 

Gaara_dono

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
1,001
Reaction score
166
Gender
Hidden
Country
France
Hey Mel ... thanks for the Edited Manga of Biohazard prequel...

I'm leading a new project on the Resident Evil E-books... they are in Japanese (awesome HQ Raws!!)... So I'm looking for a translator... And after reading the Biohazard Prequel that you scanlated... I thought it would be a honner if you help me on that one ;))

Waiting for your response... I'll provide you with the raws ^^
So Sayonara...!
 

Mel_Luvz_Anime

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2007
Messages
321
Reaction score
218
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
did u have tutoring?

oh yeah, what series do you translate?
No i didn't get any tutoring, like I said I'm completely self taught. Got all my resources by myself and kinda self-disciplined style of learning. Was a lot of fun actually

Series, including ones I've listed above:

Ahiru no Sora, Kamichama Karin Chu, Kure-nai, Sugar Princess, Vampire Knight, Matsuri. The rest are not series, more like oneshots and 2 parters and doujinshi ^_^

haha, i love seeing people who taught themselves another language. its fascinates me!!! i also have friends that taght themselves. You said you started your own self teaching program...mind if i ask what you did? im also teaching myslef, with help for friends who also know japanese.

If you ever go to japan, you will like Okinawa. i have been there (my dad is in the military, so we lived there for 3 and half years). There is a lot of beautiful things in japan. But man...tokyo is the most confusing place i have ever been to
Hehe well I might have made it sound a lot more structured than it really was. You know I'm at university and we get a 3 month vacation, so at the end of my first year I sorta got into it and bought a couple, actually 3 textbooks on learning kanji. By this time I already knew the basics, so it was just kanji that I was learning. So then I practised on those a lot and then (as unlucky as I am to not have any Japanese friends who spoke fluent Japanese) I borrowed some audio and textbook packages from the uni I went to. This proved extremely useful. Spent a lot of time just listening and learning and reading. From this I learnt a lot of Japanese grammar. The best way to learn japanese grammar is to hear it, trust me. To me the difficulty level is second to learning kanji by heart. So that kinda sums up my program. It's more fun that it sounds, the textbooks I got had cool pictures and stuff ^_^ Oh I'm such a kid hehe

So yeah, audio packages are great for learning grammar

Hey Mel ... thanks for the Edited Manga of Biohazard prequel...

I'm leading a new project on the Resident Evil E-books... they are in Japanese (awesome HQ Raws!!)... So I'm looking for a translator... And after reading the Biohazard Prequel that you scanlated... I thought it would be a honner if you help me on that one ;))

Waiting for your response... I'll provide you with the raws ^^
So Sayonara...!
I'll think about it. But I still havent really started on the second part of this biohazard part 1 that I t/l. Been so busy helping move across country and stuff, most of the time I don't have access to the internet though we're working on that.

So when you say, "e-books" do u mean I'll have to t/l entire pages of text?????? Coz when u say HQ RAW's that indicates manga to me, although I don't know any other manga of biohazard out there. Someone once approached me to t/l an ebook of biohazard before, but it was in chinese I think.

Just so u know, if it's really an ebook, then I really in all honesty, won't consider it. I don't have a lot of free time to do that.
 

kyubisharingan

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2006
Messages
2,647
Reaction score
103
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Jamaica
ah ok i see. Just curious, if it isnt too secretive, what books and audio CDs did you get? I hear that "Genki: integrated course in Elementary Japanese" is a good one. I ordered the book and workbook of that and its great, but was just curious of what you used

also, did you use some sort of "lesson plan" for teaching yourself? Its REaLLY hard trying to keep focused learning a new language by yourself.
 
Last edited:

hatsuharupeace

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
6,761
Reaction score
907
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Hi Mel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Long time no see, been busy with life???
 

Mel_Luvz_Anime

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2007
Messages
321
Reaction score
218
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
HEY!!!!! I didn't think anyone cared enough about me to post here *cries tears of joy*

Yeah I was away for a while, and when I came back I find the next issue of SQ is being released. Real Life sure can get in the way sometimes lmao jk. So yeah, university will also be starting in a couple of weeks too, so I guess I'm gonna slow down a couple of notches.

@kyubisharingan: Hey, I don't remember the names of the audio cd's/books I borrowed, they were from my university library, I was more interested in what was inside the book than the cover. And online places to learn, there are so many, and all reliable. I think I sent u some links. For others who want links, well I didn't exactly put them on my favourites list, but everyone should know the famous Tae Kim's Guide right? Actually many people have said it's very useful for grammar, I have recommended it to other people and they've found it quite efficient but I personally have not read through the site.

And when you talk about a lesson plan, really you have to create one that suits your own style of learning. With me I can be absolutely determined to absolutely lazy, so its customized for me. Not set in stone, or paper but most importantly you have to "Want" to learn Japanese.
 

Jinoh

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
365
Reaction score
249
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
heya Mel :D

What kind of dishes do you like?

If there was one free country for you to visit except japan which would it be? :p

What's your most favorite genre in manga and anime? :o
 

Mel_Luvz_Anime

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2007
Messages
321
Reaction score
218
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
heya Mel :D

What kind of dishes do you like?

If there was one free country for you to visit except japan which would it be? :p

What's your most favorite genre in manga and anime? :o
WOW easy question!!! I love curries!! I'm Indian so naturally I would starve if I didn't have curries in my life. My favourite would be seafood curries, mostly because I don't have them very often, more like a luxury.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "free country" but if you meant a "country for free" then second to Japan would have to be India ^_^ Even though I'm Indian, I've never actually been there so definitely I'd love to go there and delve in my roots and culture. I know more Japanese culture than my own... kinda embarrassing *shame on you Mel*

Favourite genre hmmm... I think I may have answered this already but when talking about reading and watching:

In terms of anime I like action/fantasy/supernatural/dark/sci-fi and in terms of manga I like romance/dark/psychological.

With manga that I translate, it's a little different from what I read. I don't like to translate a series that is one of my favourites, otherwise I feel like it decreases the enjoyment factor. But I still have to like it.
 

Dubby

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Mel, you like Hana-Kimi over Fruits Basket?

I love you. XD Not a lot of people like HK over Furuba. In my opinion, Furuba is overrated. >__>

I think it's amazing that you taught yourself. ^^ I'm starting to learn, but I learned from my iPod Touch [it has a iStudy feature I installed on]. It's really helpful, actually. @__@; But I don't use it much cause I'm lazy.

Either way, you fascinate me. xD There are only a few things in this world I like to be self-taught in, and one of them is my drawing. If I'm taught to draw, I'm taught someone's else's style. I like teaching myself, I develop my own style. ^____^ Y'KNOW?

BUT THIS THREAD'S ABOUT YOU!

Hana-Kimi ftw! XD I love that series so much.

Sano is my savior. Hisaya Nakajo is my goddess.

Did you see that new DS game of hers?
 

Mel_Luvz_Anime

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2007
Messages
321
Reaction score
218
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
Mel, you like Hana-Kimi over Fruits Basket?

I love you. XD Not a lot of people like HK over Furuba. In my opinion, Furuba is overrated. >__>

I think it's amazing that you taught yourself. ^^ I'm starting to learn, but I learned from my iPod Touch [it has a iStudy feature I installed on]. It's really helpful, actually. @__@; But I don't use it much cause I'm lazy.

Either way, you fascinate me. xD There are only a few things in this world I like to be self-taught in, and one of them is my drawing. If I'm taught to draw, I'm taught someone's else's style. I like teaching myself, I develop my own style. ^____^ Y'KNOW?

BUT THIS THREAD'S ABOUT YOU!

Hana-Kimi ftw! XD I love that series so much.

Sano is my savior. Hisaya Nakajo is my goddess.

Did you see that new DS game of hers?

I actually like both Hana Kimi and Fruits Basket, but I think Fruits Basket is more suited for really young girls. There's a lot more progression in Hana Kimi, plus its just so classic how can you not like it, right. Although I do wish that the anime for Fruits Basket goes into a second season, coz it just stopped, and well I'm sure many fans share the same opinion.

Learning from your iPod Touch?? Is that working for you? I don't really know much about it, but I'm sure you'd want to get resources from other places too. Sounds cool though ^_^

Oh my, I can't draw even if my life depended on it. I totally suck in that, but at some point when I get a little better acquainted with translating, I think I might try my hand at the other aspects of Editing manga. It seems like a lot of work goes into it so I'd like to learn about all the processes involved. I'm not going to do that anytime soon though, since there are some things that I don't have patience on (Japanese not being one of them). And ofcourse, no-one can teach you how to draw, that's what makes your and individual and personal. It's the same as saying no-one can teach an author how to write because everyone has their own writing styles. It's each person's own creativity, all they can teach you is techniques, but ultimately it means nothing if your writing is full of them or just doesn't make sense because you're concentrating on that aspect.

Teehee yes I forgot about that, this thread really is about me XD although I don't really talk about myself a lot. I really like Hisaya Nakajo's work, Sugar Princess is also among my top fav's although it doesn't progress along as well as Hana Kimi. I really liked a side story of hers called "Wild Kiss" I think it was. I thought that story had real potential to become a series, but unfortunately she seemed to think it was better as a oneshot *sniffles* Umeda-sensei will remain among my fav characters in the manga XD

DS Game... well unfortunately I don't play video games, so I wouldn't know. I never expected she would be involved in a video game, that's completely unknown to me. It sounds cool though ^_^
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It seems like you have quite a fan following already here, Mel. XD

It's good to see more translators start threads here. So Hindi is supposed to be your mother tongue? That's interesting, you may be the first person we have here who can say that. Though I think we do have somebody from India here...

I see out of the top 5 mangas you mentioned, you like Bleach as well. Who's your favorite character in it? Sorry I don't read much shoujo ^^; But well, hope you have a good time here at MH.
 
Top