Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
I believe we are meant to 'assume' that Mister Doctor was there for a few years... with all that assumption is meant to imply. :D
A year or two at the most, but regardless he should not have gotten so good in just a few years over others with years or decades longer under their belts.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
A year or two at the most, but regardless he should not have gotten so good in just a few years over others with years or decades longer under their belts.
That's just suspension of disbelief stuff mostly. Doctor Strange is supposed to be a natural talent at sorcery but they changed up the origin story a bit since the Eye of Agamotto is supposed to be like a hugely powerful artifact that brings with it all kinds of knowledge and the item that chooses who the next Sorcerer Supreme is. Which is literally made from they eye of an ancient sorcerer named Agamotto. Making him kind of like the Avatar from Avatar the Last Airbender. So he's like a superwizard in the comics.

They went a very different way with it obviously. Making it's function a lot more limited and defined. Which stretches things a bit for his origin story but, to be honest, I like this a lot better.

You can see the original origin story in the animated movie, I think.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
Making Eye of Agamotto an Infinity Stone was definetly an interesting change. That puts Strange up there with Star-Lord(&crew) and Thor, as specially important inviduals on the good guys side, that might be able to control the stones to some extent without getting themselves killed. Or could be just that the stone in the Eye isn't as destructive as the one Ronan stole in Guardian.

Also, here a dose of newly released sci-fi trailers for films that are based on a well-known and loved original pieces;



Both look pretty good, even if I'm still a little dissapointed in Johanssen being cast as Kusanagi. Valeriana seems very visually pleasing. Luc Bensson has in my honest opinion lost his edge the past years, but maybe this will be his rise back the Fifth Element times. :nod
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
This also wakes up the feels in me.

 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Both look pretty good, even if I'm still a little dissapointed in Johanssen being cast as Kusanagi.
Her casting isn't really the issue for me now that you can see it. I liked the first teaser a bit better than this trailer honestly. Seems like there's a bit too much action setpieces for this movie, because Hollywood. But if the movie doesn't have enough of the "thinking" aspect of the series, it'll be a failure for me. That could perhaps be the trailer's fault though, we'll have to see.

Valeriana seems very visually pleasing. Luc Bensson has in my honest opinion lost his edge the past years, but maybe this will be his rise back the Fifth Element times. :nod
Yeah, Lucy was laughably stupid to me honestly. If you turned your brain off I guess it was something cool to look at, but I couldn't get over the "science" aspects of it...:XD

This trailer is awesome IMO though. Definitely something more in his element :derp
 

Freid

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
1,678
Reaction score
1,211
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ghost in a Shell looks cool. Can't say I'm a huge fan of Scarlett Johanssen as an actress though, but everything she's involved in these days is right up my street.

It's nice to see Dane DeHaan back in that Valerian so on and so forth movie. He seemed to have dropped off the movie radar ever since Spiderman. It was a bad movie but dude's got some acting chops and I'd like to see more of him on the big screen. Can't sleep on this guy.

Beauty and the beast looks cute. One does not simply outgrow Disney movies. Will definitely watch if only because of nostalgia and to whitewash that terrible modern day beauty and the beast with Vanessa Hudgens that came out a while ago.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That Valarian movie looks like it could be good or at least fun. Visuals and appealing characters. That's more than enough to get me to go see it. Looks like it could be cheesy as hell but I'm up for that.

Ghost in the Shell looks doesn't really look that interesting to me. Action looks good and Scarlett Johansson in a skin tight body suit is pretty easy on the eyes but everything else about it doesn't do anything for me. Then again, I always thought the anime was way overrated so no surprise the live action adaptation would have me feeling about the same. So not a believer in that one.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,340
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
The 90's Beauty and the Beast is incredible and one of the best Disney films in my book. The trailer for the new one did nothing for me, sadly. Feels like they're not bringing anything new to the table (like the Jungle Book did, while still keeping the nostalgia flowing). I'll still watch it though and hope to be proven wrong.

When the news hit of a Hollywood live-action Ghost in the Shell it sounded like the worst thing in the world... But damn, that trailer actually looks really cool. Agree that Scarlett Johansson isn't my top choice for the role but she's surprised me before so I'm still pretty hyped.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
"Valerian" and "Ghost in the Shell" might be big surprises next year amongst all these upcoming comic book films. There's also, "War for the Planet of the Apes", "Blade Runner 2049" & "Alien" Covenant" that I'm really excited for. And of course, Episode VIII. :super
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I watched The Departed for the first time since I saw it at cinemas. Man that film is great. Was meant to see Jack Reacher 2 the other day, but heard it wasn't that good.

"Valerian" and "Ghost in the Shell" might be big surprises next year amongst all these upcoming comic book films. There's also, "War for the Planet of the Apes", "Blade Runner 2049" & "Alien" Covenant" that I'm really excited for. And of course, Episode VIII. :super
I'm looking forward to Ghost in the Shell, hopefully it's good. I've not heard about Blade Runner "2049" though.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
Blade Runner is tricky. Is it really 2017 release though? Didn't they just start filming. (Just googled, and seems so, it's out with an year from shooting, feels crazy)

The original is masterpiece. Sequels/reboots tend to do no favors for these sort of classic films. But is has a very interesting and promising director/cinematographer pair in Villeneuve and Deakins. And has pretty promising cast too (Gosling, Leto, Ford).

So I don't know really what to think. Usually I'd oppose this sort of thing, but I really adore evertyhing Deakins shoots. We'll see.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Blade Runner is tricky. Is it really 2017 release though? Didn't they just start filming. (Just googled, and seems so, it's out with an year from shooting, feels crazy)

The original is masterpiece. Sequels/reboots tend to do no favors for these sort of classic films. But is has a very interesting and promising director/cinematographer pair in Villeneuve and Deakins. And has pretty promising cast too (Gosling, Leto, Ford).

So I don't know really what to think. Usually I'd oppose this sort of thing, but I really adore evertyhing Deakins shoots. We'll see.
If there was ever a reason to not be cynical about Hollywood reboots, what we know about this project would be enough. But even so, I'm probably going to remain pessimistic about it.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I saw Doctor Strange yesterday

I like Cumberbatch as an actor. I don't know anything about Doctor Strange, so Idk how well he did on that front; but I enjoyed the character in this movie. The visual effects were great, that world bending was cool too see. The villains were pretty flat though. The Ancient one dying that way was a bit wtf, though I guess she's not seen past that point in all her visions and decided to leave it to Strange. Ejiofor's character annoyed me in the end. Overall good fun, will watch it again when it's on blu ray.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I had fun watching doctor strange but looking back on it the sheer amount of cliche in the character is kinda painful. Yet another asperger asshole with photographic memory who masters decades worth of complicated stuff in a fraction of the time. In that regard at least doctor strange was a rather lazy character. On the other hand the movie was actually fun to watch, there was enough going on to distract you from that at least.

And here is a reboot I don't think I need. I mean, did someone think "lets reboot the mummy lets get brendan frashier 2.0" and concluded that was tom cruise?
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I had fun watching doctor strange but looking back on it the sheer amount of cliche in the character is kinda painful. Yet another asperger asshole with photographic memory who masters decades worth of complicated stuff in a fraction of the time. In that regard at least doctor strange was a rather lazy character. On the other hand the movie was actually fun to watch, there was enough going on to distract you from that at least.
If your looking for innovation in either storytelling or characters, comic books are not the right place to look. At their best superhero comics offer reliable and familiar escapism. Superhero movies are the same way. I love them, don't get me wrong, but that's just not what the genre does.

When they try to do more than that it generally doesn't end well. That's partly why DC keeps shooting themselves in the foot.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
And here is a reboot I don't think I need. I mean, did someone think "lets reboot the mummy lets get brendan frashier 2.0" and concluded that was tom cruise?
That would truly be bizarro-world :lmao

Say what you want about Cruise, but his place as a "movie star" is kind of undeniable.

But yeah, that trailer was just bizarre when I saw it last night while watching TWD. Not sure what to think of it honestly.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,767
Country
Torumekian Empire
To shed some light into this Mummy reboot thing - this is Universals attempt at the shared cinematic universe game, that has been so successful for Marvel. They are actually rebooting a ton of classic horror monsters they have rights for, and eventually they all clash in some sort of battle royale /League of The Extraordinary Gentleman kind of thing.

In addition to Mummy, in works are Dr. Jekyll (Russel Crowe), Frankensteins Monster (Javier Bardem) and the Invisible Man (Johnny Depp). Apparently Tom Cruises hero character will be some kind of a link between them. In addition to these, they also have lined that Dracula, Van Helsing, Wolfman, Gilman and Bride of Frankestein are to be joining this shared universe.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Also: I liked Fantastic Beasts. 3/5. Fun, lighthearted magical adventure. Didn't do what I feared it would; ruin the Potter-franchise for me for good.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
To shed some light into this Mummy reboot thing - this is Universals attempt at the shared cinematic universe game, that has been so successful for Marvel. They are actually rebooting a ton of classic horror monsters they have rights for, and eventually they all clash in some sort of battle royale /League of The Extraordinary Gentleman kind of thing.

In addition to Mummy, in works are Dr. Jekyll (Russel Crowe), Frankensteins Monster (Javier Bardem) and the Invisible Man (Johnny Depp). Apparently Tom Cruises hero character will be some kind of a link between them. In addition to these, they also have lined that Dracula, Van Helsing, Wolfman, Gilman and Bride of Frankestein are to be joining this shared universe.
Wow, that does not sound like a good idea to me.

The actual Mummy trailer looks ok to me. Maybe taking itself a little too seriously for my tastes but I could see how it could be entertaining. I actually liked the Brenden Frasier original. Not really sure about Tom Cruise being the right choice hold up that kind of movie though. What was the last movie he was actually good in? Because I feel like the last time I saw him do something I liked was in Tropic Thunder.
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No soon as I read ust post I seen a right up about Russell crowe making a cameo in the movie as dr.jeckyll.
Gotta admit I like this move to combine the monsterverse....kinda over these good guy movies xD.

Idk jammin.....I liked Tom in that sci fi one where he kept repeating the same day over and over.
The last mission impossible was pretty decent.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
The Mummy, again?

As for Tom Cruise, I'm not a fan but I don't dislike him either. His cameo in Tropic Thunder was great though.
 
Top